From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Hard to fully load drives in dock
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 10:51:24 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 15:51 UTC

Running win10 Home.

I have a dock for 3" HDD's and sometimes when I turn it on, the laptop
makes a little jingle sound and a little box says the drive has been
addled, but it doesn't show up in my file manager or in Macrium Reflect
free (even after clicking on Refresh. In fact I see it doing the
load/refresh partition graphics but nothing changes.

(On another occasion, I had two drives in the dock and one showed up but
the other didn't. Eventually I took out the one that showed up and
eventually the other finally did too.)

USB Safely Remove shows it's plugged in and says Ready for Safe Removal,
the same thing it says if it was once fully connected and I asked to
remove it, but had not yet unplugged it. When I right click on the
entry and choose Return Service Back, that seemed to work, so that would
imply it was plugged in right and the dock is working right, right? (I
hadn't tried this step for the drive mentioned in the 2nd paragraph
above in parentheses.)

Does all this only mean I have an intermittently bad dock? I'm
surprised a fairly simple thing like the dock would be intermittent.
(Yeah, I know it's not that simple, but by comparison.)

Or is there some step between the jingling sound and actually being
loaded, that I could help it with?

Re: Hard to fully load drives in dock

<umfb9q$3jfin$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77209&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77209

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Hard to fully load drives in dock
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 14:58:48 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:58 UTC

On 12/26/2023 10:51 AM, micky wrote:
> Running win10 Home.
>
> I have a dock for 3" HDD's and sometimes when I turn it on, the laptop
> makes a little jingle sound and a little box says the drive has been
> addled, but it doesn't show up in my file manager or in Macrium Reflect
> free (even after clicking on Refresh. In fact I see it doing the
> load/refresh partition graphics but nothing changes.
>
> (On another occasion, I had two drives in the dock and one showed up but
> the other didn't. Eventually I took out the one that showed up and
> eventually the other finally did too.)
>
> USB Safely Remove shows it's plugged in and says Ready for Safe Removal,
> the same thing it says if it was once fully connected and I asked to
> remove it, but had not yet unplugged it. When I right click on the
> entry and choose Return Service Back, that seemed to work, so that would
> imply it was plugged in right and the dock is working right, right? (I
> hadn't tried this step for the drive mentioned in the 2nd paragraph
> above in parentheses.)
>
> Does all this only mean I have an intermittently bad dock? I'm
> surprised a fairly simple thing like the dock would be intermittent.
> (Yeah, I know it's not that simple, but by comparison.)
>
> Or is there some step between the jingling sound and actually being
> loaded, that I could help it with?

It could be that you are only supposed to use one interface on it
at a time.

I would Google the model number, and see what is known about the dock
and its characteristics.

Paul

Re: Hard to fully load drives in dock

<umg18l$3lrht$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77223&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77223

From: Zaidy036@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 21:13:40 -0500
 by: Zaidy036 - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 02:13 UTC

On 12/26/2023 10:51 AM, micky wrote:
> Running win10 Home.
>
> I have a dock for 3" HDD's and sometimes when I turn it on, the laptop
> makes a little jingle sound and a little box says the drive has been
> addled, but it doesn't show up in my file manager or in Macrium Reflect
> free (even after clicking on Refresh. In fact I see it doing the
> load/refresh partition graphics but nothing changes.
>
> (On another occasion, I had two drives in the dock and one showed up but
> the other didn't. Eventually I took out the one that showed up and
> eventually the other finally did too.)
>
> USB Safely Remove shows it's plugged in and says Ready for Safe Removal,
> the same thing it says if it was once fully connected and I asked to
> remove it, but had not yet unplugged it. When I right click on the
> entry and choose Return Service Back, that seemed to work, so that would
> imply it was plugged in right and the dock is working right, right? (I
> hadn't tried this step for the drive mentioned in the 2nd paragraph
> above in parentheses.)
>
> Does all this only mean I have an intermittently bad dock? I'm
> surprised a fairly simple thing like the dock would be intermittent.
> (Yeah, I know it's not that simple, but by comparison.)
>
> Or is there some step between the jingling sound and actually being
> loaded, that I could help it with?
Not sure about your problem BUT if you are alternating HDs consider that
multiple removing/inserting HDs will wear out and/or make connectors
unreliable and leaving them connected is not "bad actor" safe.

I use two single drive USB3-HD docks for $20.99 each
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P1539VD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1>
and alternate so one is always disconnected from PC and in a safe place.