Vulcans do not approve of violence. -- Spock, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?

SubjectAuthor
* Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?Zo
+* Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?Wally J
|`- Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?Zo
`* Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?VanguardLH
 `* Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?Zo
  +* Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?VanguardLH
  |+- Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?Philip Herlihy
  |`- Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?Zo
  `- Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?knuttle

1
Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?

<mn.f3e47e7cadefc53b.138872@newsbill.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77271&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77271

From: homenet@newsbill.net (Zo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:36:50 -0500
 by: Zo - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:36 UTC

First, I'm new to this Windows 10 Pro System. Last evening after
getting a popup Virus Alert from McAfee and that my service had expired
the day before 12/28 and I needed to to renew my service to start a
scan. Well I decided to remove it. I downloaded the recommended MCPR
Removal Tool from McAfee. After runnning the program and restarting
the system, it no longer appears in the list of running processes, but
the popups continue to show up with increasing frequency and they are
beginning to drive me up the wall.

Can anyone help? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

:-? :-? :-?

--
Zo

Modem" ------ How you got rid of your dandelions.

Re: Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?

<umq3mn$2o0oj$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77273&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77273

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 17:56:39 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:56 UTC

Zo <homenet@newsbill.net> wrote

> First, I'm new to this Windows 10 Pro System. Last evening after
> getting a popup Virus Alert from McAfee and that my service had expired
> the day before 12/28 and I needed to to renew my service to start a
> scan. Well I decided to remove it. I downloaded the recommended MCPR
> Removal Tool from McAfee. After runnning the program and restarting
> the system, it no longer appears in the list of running processes, but
> the popups continue to show up with increasing frequency and they are
> beginning to drive me up the wall.
>
> Can anyone help? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Any of these uninstallers should work as they dig up the registry entries
and hidden files that sneaky programs like McAfee love to put on your PC.
<https://i.postimg.cc/SQG6v9Df/cleaners-uninstall.jpg> Uninstallers
--
It's not worth helping a person so much as helping everyone in every post.

Re: Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?

<1i1uyaiinkmys.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77275&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77275

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:29:52 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 22:29 UTC

Zo <homenet@newsbill.net> wrote:

> First, I'm new to this Windows 10 Pro System. Last evening after
> getting a popup Virus Alert from McAfee and that my service had expired
> the day before 12/28 and I needed to to renew my service to start a
> scan. Well I decided to remove it. I downloaded the recommended MCPR
> Removal Tool from McAfee. After runnning the program and restarting
> the system, it no longer appears in the list of running processes, but
> the popups continue to show up with increasing frequency and they are
> beginning to drive me up the wall.

Maybe McAfee added a scheduled event in Task Scheduler.

The procedure to remove McAfee is to first use Windows' own Add/Remove
to uninstall the program, and then you use MCPR if that fails. Did you
first try using the Windows method to uninstall McAfee?

When you restarted Windows, did you actually shutdown the computer to
then do a cold boot? Or did you go into hibernate mode which would
reload the OS in the same state it was before (which means the uninstall
never completed)?

https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view
"You must only use the MCPR tool if the Windows removal methods shown
above don't work."

Since you never mentioned installing the software, looks like it was
garbage that came pre-bundled on the computer. Computer makers love to
dump pre-bundle garbage on their pre-built computers to bloat their
feature list.

There are other uninstallers that try harder to remove remnants of
installed programs, like Revo Uninstaller. There are some functions
missing in the free version. See the comparison table at:

https://www.revouninstaller.com/products/revo-uninstaller-free/

There are a slew of uninstallers available. See:

https://www.lifewire.com/free-uninstaller-programs-2625188

Re: Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?

<mn.f49d7e7c28f0924f.138872@newsbill.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77278&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77278

From: homenet@newsbill.net (Zo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 19:41:37 -0500
 by: Zo - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 00:41 UTC

VanguardLH presented the following explanation :
> Zo <homenet@newsbill.net> wrote:
>
>> First, I'm new to this Windows 10 Pro System. Last evening after
>> getting a popup Virus Alert from McAfee and that my service had expired
>> the day before 12/28 and I needed to to renew my service to start a
>> scan. Well I decided to remove it. I downloaded the recommended MCPR
>> Removal Tool from McAfee. After runnning the program and restarting
>> the system, it no longer appears in the list of running processes, but
>> the popups continue to show up with increasing frequency and they are
>> beginning to drive me up the wall.

> Maybe McAfee added a scheduled event in Task Scheduler.

Nothing shows up there.

> The procedure to remove McAfee is to first use Windows' own Add/Remove
> to uninstall the program, and then you use MCPR if that fails. Did you
> first try using the Windows method to uninstall McAfee?

Unfortunately, did not know about this :-(

> When you restarted Windows, did you actually shutdown the computer to
> then do a cold boot? Or did you go into hibernate mode which would
> reload the OS in the same state it was before (which means the uninstall
> never completed)?

Rebooted after getting reboot message so that McAfee could complete the
uninstall.

> https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view
> "You must only use the MCPR tool if the Windows removal methods shown
> above don't work."

Too Late for this one.... :-(

> Since you never mentioned installing the software, looks like it was
> garbage that came pre-bundled on the computer. Computer makers love to
> dump pre-bundle garbage on their pre-built computers to bloat their
> feature list.

Yes it came with the bundled apps.

> There are other uninstallers that try harder to remove remnants of
> installed programs, like Revo Uninstaller. There are some functions
> missing in the free version. See the comparison table at:
>
> https://www.revouninstaller.com/products/revo-uninstaller-free/
>
> There are a slew of uninstallers available. See:
>
> https://www.lifewire.com/free-uninstaller-programs-2625188

Tnanks for the info, but I tried a number of these programs to no
avail.

I did discover that I can turn off these Notifications (did that) and
don't see them anymore.....for now.

Thanks for the speedy response.
The mind starts to go when you're my age 81......

It's a shame this App is performing just like the intruders it is
supposed to be protecting you against.

Happy New Year!

--
Zo

"People who think they know everything greatly annoy those of
us who do."

Re: Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?

<mn.f4a17e7c038f8b12.138872@newsbill.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77279&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77279

Followup: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: homenet@newsbill.net (Zo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 19:45:35 -0500
 by: Zo - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 00:45 UTC

Wally J explained :
> Zo <homenet@newsbill.net> wrote
>
>> First, I'm new to this Windows 10 Pro System. Last evening after
>> getting a popup Virus Alert from McAfee and that my service had expired
>> the day before 12/28 and I needed to to renew my service to start a
>> scan. Well I decided to remove it. I downloaded the recommended MCPR
>> Removal Tool from McAfee. After runnning the program and restarting
>> the system, it no longer appears in the list of running processes, but
>> the popups continue to show up with increasing frequency and they are
>> beginning to drive me up the wall.
>>
>> Can anyone help? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
>
> Any of these uninstallers should work as they dig up the registry entries
> and hidden files that sneaky programs like McAfee love to put on your PC.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/SQG6v9Df/cleaners-uninstall.jpg> Uninstallers

I tried a couple from the list plus others to no avail. For now, I
turned off notifications.

Thank you for you rapid response and I pray that you have a very safe
and happy New Year.....

--
Zo

"Shakespeare's Pizza - Free Chopsticks"

Re: Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?

<dt344wld1on4.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77281&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77281

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 20:29:20 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 02:29 UTC

Zo <homenet@newsbill.net> wrote:

> I did discover that I can turn off these Notifications (did that) and
> don't see them anymore.....for now.
>
> It's a shame this App is performing just like the intruders it is
> supposed to be protecting you against.

Have you yet looked in File Explorer under:

C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files x86

to see if there are any folders with "McAfee" in their name? If a
McAfee folder still exists, look under it to see if the subfolders give
a product name. McAfee is a company name, so they may use separate
subfolders to hold files for different programs of theirs.

In the address bar of File Explorer, enter:

shell:appsfolder

See if McAfee is still listed.

https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-notifications-in-windows-10-5189206

Did you use the 2nd option to disable notifications just for McAfee? I
didn't think about per-sender option to disable notifications although I
have used that to shut up some apps whose notifications are fluff or
nags. I had focused on getting rid of whatever was causing the
notifications versus just hiding them.

If McAfee is listed as a notification sender, it would be specified
somewhere in the registry, so I'd start hunting there. See:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4111-turn-off-notifications-apps-senders-windows-10-a.html#option6

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notifications\Settings
has subkeys with the appnames. See if there is one for McAfee. If so,
the subkey is the appname which gives you something on which to search
in the registry.

By "notification", I assumed you were talking about the Taskbar toast
popups as the notifications. Is that what you are seeing? Or are you
seeing a separate popup window on the screen that has nothing to do with
notification toasts? At the right-end of the Taskbar is a bubble icon
that opens the Notifications panel. When you see the McAfee popup, do
you also see it when opening the Notifications panel?

If a separate popup window appears, it may be possible to see who is the
owning process that opened the window. With SysInternals Process
Viewer, you can click-and-drag sniper target icon in the toolbar to drop
on the McAfee window. PE will highlight the process that owns that
window (has a handle to the window). Right-click on that process to lok
at its Properties. The Image tab will show what program loaded that
process.

Re: Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?

<umro10$1nnss$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77289&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77289

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 07:49:37 -0500
 by: knuttle - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:49 UTC

On 12/30/2023 7:41 PM, Zo wrote:
> VanguardLH presented the following explanation :
>> Zo <homenet@newsbill.net> wrote:
>>
>>> First, I'm new to this Windows 10 Pro System.  Last evening after
>>> getting a popup Virus Alert from McAfee and that my service had
>>> expired the day before 12/28 and I needed to to renew my service to
>>> start a scan.  Well I decided to remove it. I downloaded the
>>> recommended MCPR Removal Tool from McAfee.  After runnning the
>>> program and restarting the system, it no longer appears in the list
>>> of running processes, but the popups continue to show up with
>>> increasing frequency and they are beginning to drive me up the wall.
>

>> Maybe McAfee added a scheduled event in Task Scheduler.
>
> Nothing shows up there.
>>
>> The procedure to remove McAfee is to first use Windows' own Add/Remove
>> to uninstall the program, and then you use MCPR if that fails.  Did you
>> first try using the Windows method to uninstall McAfee?
>
> Unfortunately, did not know about this :-(
>>
>> When you restarted Windows, did you actually shutdown the computer to
>> then do a cold boot?  Or did you go into hibernate mode which would
>> reload the OS in the same state it was before (which means the uninstall
>> never completed)?
>
> Rebooted after getting reboot message so that McAfee could complete the
> uninstall.
>>
>> https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view
>> "You must only use the MCPR tool if the Windows removal methods shown
>> above don't work."
>
> Too Late for this one.... :-(
>
>> Since you never mentioned installing the software, looks like it was
>> garbage that came pre-bundled on the computer.  Computer makers love to
>> dump pre-bundle garbage on their pre-built computers to bloat their
>> feature list.
>
> Yes it came with the bundled apps.
>>
>> There are other uninstallers that try harder to remove remnants of
>> installed programs, like Revo Uninstaller.  There are some functions
>> missing in the free version.  See the comparison table at:
>>
>> https://www.revouninstaller.com/products/revo-uninstaller-free/
>>
>> There are a slew of uninstallers available.  See:
>>
>> https://www.lifewire.com/free-uninstaller-programs-2625188
>
> Tnanks for the info, but I tried a number of these programs to no avail.
>
> I did discover that I can turn off these Notifications (did that) and
> don't see them anymore.....for now.
>
> Thanks for the speedy response.
> The mind starts to go when you're my age 81......
>
> It's a shame this App is performing just like the intruders it is
> supposed to be protecting you against.
>
> Happy New Year!

Defender steps down when another virus program is loaded. Is a virus
found by McAfee, shared with Defender even though McAfee is the primmary
virus program.
If so the virus alert may be coming from Defender rather that McAfee

Re: Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?

<MPG.3ffb850f4c440573989a9a@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77292&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77292

From: PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 14:03:33 -0000
 by: Philip Herlihy - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 14:03 UTC

In article <dt344wld1on4.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH wrote...

> Zo <homenet@newsbill.net> wrote:
>
> > I did discover that I can turn off these Notifications (did that) and
> > don't see them anymore.....for now.
> >
> > It's a shame this App is performing just like the intruders it is
> > supposed to be protecting you against.
>
> Have you yet looked in File Explorer under:
>
> C:\Program Files
> C:\Program Files x86
>
> to see if there are any folders with "McAfee" in their name? If a
> McAfee folder still exists, look under it to see if the subfolders give
> a product name. McAfee is a company name, so they may use separate
> subfolders to hold files for different programs of theirs.
>
> In the address bar of File Explorer, enter:
>
> shell:appsfolder
>
> See if McAfee is still listed.
>
> https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-notifications-in-windows-10-5189206
>
> Did you use the 2nd option to disable notifications just for McAfee? I
> didn't think about per-sender option to disable notifications although I
> have used that to shut up some apps whose notifications are fluff or
> nags. I had focused on getting rid of whatever was causing the
> notifications versus just hiding them.
>
> If McAfee is listed as a notification sender, it would be specified
> somewhere in the registry, so I'd start hunting there. See:
>
> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4111-turn-off-notifications-apps-senders-windows-10-a.html#option6
>
> HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notifications\Settings
> has subkeys with the appnames. See if there is one for McAfee. If so,
> the subkey is the appname which gives you something on which to search
> in the registry.
>
> By "notification", I assumed you were talking about the Taskbar toast
> popups as the notifications. Is that what you are seeing? Or are you
> seeing a separate popup window on the screen that has nothing to do with
> notification toasts? At the right-end of the Taskbar is a bubble icon
> that opens the Notifications panel. When you see the McAfee popup, do
> you also see it when opening the Notifications panel?
>
> If a separate popup window appears, it may be possible to see who is the
> owning process that opened the window. With SysInternals Process
> Viewer, you can click-and-drag sniper target icon in the toolbar to drop
> on the McAfee window. PE will highlight the process that owns that
> window (has a handle to the window). Right-click on that process to lok
> at its Properties. The Image tab will show what program loaded that
> process.

Good advice from VanguardLH (as we've come to expect). This won't help you
now, but I'd never try to uninstall a commercial antivirus without using Revo
Uninstaller. It scans for junk left behind (files and registry) and routinely
finds *hundreds* of items after the provided uninstaller has supposedly
finished - especially true of McAffee and Norton. It's as if they are running
some sort of "protection racket", where you take their "protection" or there
are "consequences"...

One thing I'd add would be to download "Autoruns.exe" from Sysinternals (now
part of Microsoft). The scan will show the (usually large) number of processes
set to start up automatically, and you may spot some McAffee lingerers that
way.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

--

Phil, London

Re: Can Someone Help! Win 10 Pro Problem McAfee App Removal Problem?

<mn.fcfc7e7c96795640.138872@newsbill.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77304&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77304

From: homenet@newsbill.net (Zo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 21:16:22 -0500
 by: Zo - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 02:16 UTC

VanguardLH formulated the question :
> Zo <homenet@newsbill.net> wrote:
>
>> I did discover that I can turn off these Notifications (did that) and
>> don't see them anymore.....for now.
>>
>> It's a shame this App is performing just like the intruders it is
>> supposed to be protecting you against.
>
> Have you yet looked in File Explorer under:
>
> C:\Program Files
> C:\Program Files x86
>
> to see if there are any folders with "McAfee" in their name? If a
> McAfee folder still exists, look under it to see if the subfolders give
> a product name. McAfee is a company name, so they may use separate
> subfolders to hold files for different programs of theirs.
>
> In the address bar of File Explorer, enter:
>
> shell:appsfolder
>
> See if McAfee is still listed.
>
> https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-notifications-in-windows-10-5189206
>
> Did you use the 2nd option to disable notifications just for McAfee? I
> didn't think about per-sender option to disable notifications although I
> have used that to shut up some apps whose notifications are fluff or
> nags. I had focused on getting rid of whatever was causing the
> notifications versus just hiding them.
>
> If McAfee is listed as a notification sender, it would be specified
> somewhere in the registry, so I'd start hunting there. See:
>
> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4111-turn-off-notifications-apps-senders-windows-10-a.html#option6
>
> HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notifications\Settings
> has subkeys with the appnames. See if there is one for McAfee. If so,
> the subkey is the appname which gives you something on which to search
> in the registry.
>
> By "notification", I assumed you were talking about the Taskbar toast
> popups as the notifications. Is that what you are seeing? Or are you
> seeing a separate popup window on the screen that has nothing to do with
> notification toasts? At the right-end of the Taskbar is a bubble icon
> that opens the Notifications panel. When you see the McAfee popup, do
> you also see it when opening the Notifications panel?
>
> If a separate popup window appears, it may be possible to see who is the
> owning process that opened the window. With SysInternals Process
> Viewer, you can click-and-drag sniper target icon in the toolbar to drop
> on the McAfee window. PE will highlight the process that owns that
> window (has a handle to the window). Right-click on that process to lok
> at its Properties. The Image tab will show what program loaded that
> process.

In short, nothing was found in all of the suggested locations. But for
unknown reasons, after turning notifications back on, the popups have
not appeared as of this posting. During my web search for solutions,
there were a couple of other names of running services associated with
McAfee mentioned, but none of those were found. Maybe the overnight
shutdown did the trick :-? :-? It any event, the popups have stopped.

Once again, I appreciate your assistance and again, wishing you a very
happy, safe and healthy New Years!

I guess now I can have a drink to celebrate.... joy

--
Zo

I don't have any taglines to give you.