Natural laws have no pity.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

SubjectAuthor
* alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?Jess Fertudei
`* alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?Andy Burns
 `* alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?Wally J
  +* alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?Ant
  |`- alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?Wally J
  `* alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?Andy Burns
   `* alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?VanguardLH
    +* alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?Wally J
    |`* alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?VanguardLH
    | `* alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?Wally J
    |  `* alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?Andy Burns
    |   `- alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?VanguardLH
    `* alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?Jack_Of_All_Trades_Master_of_None
     `- alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?VanguardLH

1
alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

<kF6dnYz6-OVgKwz4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77296&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77296

Subject: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?
From: not@this.juncture.com (Jess Fertudei)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:46:20 -0500
 by: Jess Fertudei - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 18:46 UTC

can anyone tell me if they have alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews? i
have refreshed from several profiles and it never surfaces.

Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

<kvdt0lFeobsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77297&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77297

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:16:38 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:16 UTC

Jess Fertudei wrote:

> can anyone tell me if they have alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews? i
> have refreshed from several profiles and it never surfaces.

It was me who sent the control message to create that group.

I asked giganews to add it, they claimed they already had, I told them
they hadn't, they went silent ...

giganews don't even seem to honour new groups in big8 these days
(comp.lang.go or comp.infosystems.gemini) so I think alt.* is dead to
them too

Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

<umslur$30rt7$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77299&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77299

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 17:20:27 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 21:20 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote

>> can anyone tell me if they have alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews? i
>> have refreshed from several profiles and it never surfaces.
>
> It was me who sent the control message to create that group.

Far be it for me to ask others which group to post to, but there is and
always was a "windows" newsgroup that 'should' cover everything out there.
<http://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows>
--
I am well aware nobody posts to it - but it would make sense if they did.

Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

<E9WdnWzK4tc5dgz4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77301&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77301

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 22:31:00 +0000
 by: Ant - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 22:31 UTC

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote

> >> can anyone tell me if they have alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews? i
> >> have refreshed from several profiles and it never surfaces.
> >
> > It was me who sent the control message to create that group.

> Far be it for me to ask others which group to post to, but there is and
> always was a "windows" newsgroup that 'should' cover everything out there.
> <http://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows>

Note that Google Groups will be shutting down its newsgroup connection in
February 2024: https://duckduckgo.com/q=google+groups+newsgroups+2024+february
--
"I am the Lord; that is my name! I will not give my glory to another. ... See, the former things have taken place, and new things I declare; before they spring into being, I tell you of them." --Isaiah 42:8-9. Dang h2o leaks again.
| |o o| |

Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

<kve93hFg9uuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77302&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77302

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 22:42:57 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 22:42 UTC

Wally J wrote:

> there is and always was a "windows" newsgroup that 'should' cover
> everything out there. > alt.comp.microsoft.windows

That doesn't exist on N-I-N

Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

<1208o62898vnp$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77303&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77303

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:50:36 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 01:50 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Wally J wrote:
>
>> there is and always was a "windows" newsgroup that 'should' cover
>> everything out there. > alt.comp.microsoft.windows
>
> That doesn't exist on N-I-N

I concur. My primary is Individual while ES and Solani are secondary or
backup.

Is there a alt.comp.microsoft.window newsgroup on the NNTP server?
ES: yes
Solani: yes
Individual: no
Those are the 3 configured in my NNTP client.

Once I discard:
- Cross-posts to the alt.comp.os.windows-* (xp, 10, 11) or
alt.windows7.general newsgroups.
- Google Groupers (which I've done for many years) which eliminates the
vast majority of spam, peuriles, malcontents, trolls, and uber-boobs.
And which will disappear on Feb 24, 2024 when Google leaves Usenet.
- Undesirables, like abrasive Andy Burnelli (claims he only cites facts
but is actually his limited experience, disputes/ignores facts from
elsewhere, retaliates with inane insults on disagreement, claims
others are racists) among several other undesirables.
- Political garbage, and off-topic fluff.
there isn't much left at alt.comp.os.windows. 6 posts survive after the
above filtering.

No impetus for me to bother visiting alt.comp.microsoft.windows. I'll
get my Usenet sustenance elsewhere.

I doubt Wally's claim there has always been this newsgroup. Are there
any posts there over 2-1/2 years old?

Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

<umtbfu$21vcc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77305&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77305

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 23:27:58 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 03:27 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote

> No impetus for me to bother visiting alt.comp.microsoft.windows. I'll
> get my Usenet sustenance elsewhere.

Based on the perjorative way that sentence "appears" to have been meant, I
want everyone to know I said nobody uses it from teh start.

What I was stating was only that it has existed (for a very long time - see
below how long) and that it's the "canonical" Windows Usenet newsgroup.

Note: I mean canonical only in the meaning of "all Windows" versions.

> I doubt Wally's claim there has always been this newsgroup.
> Are there any posts there over 2-1/2 years old?

Given Vanguard's slightly perjorative comments above (which missed the
entire point I was making), those above shouldn't have been made (in my
humblest of opinions) without Vanguard having spent a second to check his
own facts before simply guessing that mine were wrong.

No harm. Just advice.

I'm never afraid to be corrected, nor to admit I'm wrong as I strive to
always be right - so when I'm wrong - it's bad. I hate being wrong.

That's why I'm almost never wrong (and there's even a thread on that in the
Apple newsgroups where the iKooks can never admit when they're wrong - and
yet - I've openly posted to that badgolferman thread for years on end
whenever I'm found to be wrong. Did I mention I hate being wrong yet?

You can always correct me.
But you should also do your homework first.

At least correct it the way Andy did (with facts), which I'm fine with.

Let me state that I fully and openly and publicly agree with Vanguard that
I wasn't precise when I said the canonical Windows group went back
"forever" so I apologize for that egregious mistake in terms of length.

The alt.comp.microsoft.windows does go back "about 20 years" it seems.
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZY6Tg2hB/dejagoogle01.jpg>

It could be longer. It could be shorter. All I know is what I see.

See that screenshot where this is the oldest I could find (by painfully
repetitive carpel-tunnel backscrolling on the dejagoogle web archives)
*mmc.exe users and computers dont start and is consuming a lot CPU time*
By Jerry, 3/24/03
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/c/05dJ84A5clc>

So I agree with Andy Burns that it might not exist on every news server, as
I didn't bother to check since it exists on the newsservers I read from.

And I also thank Vanguard for correcting me as it has only existed (as far
as we know) for about twenty years - so he is correct and I apologize.

However, depending on how things are said on Usenet, they're usually
colloquially spoken (and not a legal document), where I readily and openly
admit I never researched how long _any_ Windows newsgroup has been around.

Luckily a mistake in casual speech is easily corrected by the experts (Andy
& Vanguard) both of whom I acknowledge know far more than I do about this.

Hence I retract the statement that it "always was there" and the dejagoogle
archives could be wrong for all I know, so please allow me to do the work
to support Vanguard's correction by checking in another archive out there.

Unfortunately, as most of you know, Google never was good about permanently
dejagoogle autoarchiving the Windows newsgroups so let's check the narkive.

Andy and I both know Davide keeps a log of the oldest posts on the front
page, but it may not be correct - but let's check to see what it says.

<https://alt.comp.microsoft.windows.narkive.com/>
(1471 Threads, 4590 Posts,Ranked #1165,First post 20 years ago)

Hmmmmm.... so it (apparently) been there for two decades? I don't really
know if that's correct, so let me doublecheck against other similar ngs.

First, let's try the Windows-95 newsgroup which should be pretty old...
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-95.narkive.com/>
(36 Threads, 48 Posts, Ranked #1723, First post 19 years ago)

Now let's try the Windows 2000 newsgroup, which also should be old.
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-2000.narkive.com/>
(440 Threads, 911 Posts, Ranked #1723, First post 20 years ago)

That's "about right" I would think, but let's check some more because I
don't have a consistent candle that I can check the luminosity against.

<https://microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.narkive.com/>
(298025 Threads, 1360040 Posts, Ranked #397, First post 21 years ago)

<https://alt.comp.os.windows-8.narkive.com/>
(2345 Threads, 31224 Posts, Ranked #1165, First post 11 years ago)

<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/>
(16972 Threads, 177294 Posts, Ranked #1723, First post 9 years ago)

These next two groups, which exist on some of my newsservers, failed:

<https://alt.comp.os.windows-vista.narkive.com/>
(does not exist on the narkive)

<https://alt.comp.os.windows-11.narkive.com/>
(does not exist on the narkive)

In summary, I apologize for my imprecise speech since I strive to always be
correct in what I claim, and I accept that the canonical Windows newsgroup
might not be available on every news server out there.

That canonical Windows newsgroup does not go back "forever". I was wrong.
It goes back, as far as I can tell, about two decades though.

My point being only:
1. Nobody uses it (and Andy & Vanguard showed it's not widely peered)
2. But... it would be a "canonical" newsgroup to use for _all_ versions.

That was my only point.
I made it to add value.
--
Sometimes, given Usenet is casual, we have to look back to correct thinkos.

Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

<umtbv7$36jp2$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77306&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77306

From: invalid@andybastard.com (Jack_Of_All_Trades_Master_of_None)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 04:00:00 +0000
 by: Jack_Of_All_Trades_M - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 04:00 UTC

On 01/01/2024 01:50, VanguardLH wrote:

> I doubt Wally's claim there has always been this newsgroup. Are there
> any posts there over 2-1/2 years old?
Wally is Andy Burnelli aka Arlen Holder and his/her other nyms you
missed. He is trying to hide is identity but he is not successful at
that. We know who the fuck he is. He has used 1000 VPNs and still he is
known to us all.

Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

<umte0c$229ov$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77307&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77307

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.os-windows-11
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 00:10:53 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 04:10 UTC

Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote

> Note that Google Groups will be shutting down its newsgroup connection in
> February 2024: https://duckduckgo.com/q=google+groups+newsgroups+2024+february

Hi Ant,

Rest assured, folks like Andy Burns and I am well aware of this issue.
<https://i.postimg.cc/tgQHDyjK/dejagoogle01.jpg> Canonical announcement

Sadly, I may be one of the reasons Google made that decision, or, well, at
least I tried (rather valiantly) to get them to _fix_ their archives.
*Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet*
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/xxniDVj3ArI>

Most people who only care about themselves don't seem to comprehend the
social significance of losing one of the only good archives there were for
people who are not native to Usenet (and hence who only have a browser).

On any platform, those people could find almost anything on Usenet said
decades ago, and they could read the tribal knowledge we've added over the
years, some of which, e.g., from Paul or Mayayana or Herbert Kleebauer, and
others, is extremely valuable - and which will soon be harder to find).

Even people who know how to use a newsserver and newsreader would benefit
from searching before posting - so they start where others left the can.

Heroics were performed from the likes of Marco Moock & Grant Taylor (& me),
but to no avail - Google was causing tons of spam rendering dejagoogle
nearly useless as a direct result of spam being 99% of some newsgroups.
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android> Spam is 99.5%

BTW, I had the pleasure of waiting for Mountainview to pick up the phone.
<https://i.postimg.cc/d388rqkj/google02.jpg> Google doesn't pick up
I could have driven to Mountainview & back a half dozen times in that time.
<https://i.postimg.cc/d388rqkj/google02.jpg> +1 (650) 253-0000

On the peering newsgroup, we had been working this issue hard for a few
weeks prior to Google making the determination to drop the auto archives.
<https://i.postimg.cc/tgQHDyjK/dejagoogle01.jpg>

These are what appear to be google's excuse for killing searches.
<https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538>

To catch up on the details, we had long been discussing it over here:
*Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content*
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/_w1mbwzgzs0>

Which is a followup to this original request for who is peering this spam:
*Who is peering all these spams ostensibly from Google Groups?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/AgrNUeZuAkw>

I will add the canonical Windows newsgroup so that others can find
this information in the permanent archives - at least for a while.
--
These are somewhat similar alternatives, but they're not the same.
<http://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows>
<https://alt.comp.microsoft.windows.narkive.com>
<https://www.novabbs.com/computers/thread.php?group=alt.comp.microsoft.windows>

Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

<gsgezmjom3b5.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77309&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77309

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 00:32:22 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 06:32 UTC

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> The alt.comp.microsoft.windows does go back "about 20 years" it seems.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/ZY6Tg2hB/dejagoogle01.jpg>

My bad. I neglected to account for retention. ES and Solani probably
have shorter retentions than Google Groups. I don't have a Giganews
account to check there. And GG is dead coming this Feb 24.

Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

<1jv1acp2nokwv.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77310&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77310

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 00:38:02 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 06:38 UTC

Jack_Of_All_Trades_Master_of_None <invalid@andybastard.com> wrote:

> Wally is Andy Burnelli aka Arlen Holder and his/her other nyms you
> missed. He is trying to hide is identity but he is not successful at
> that. We know who the fuck he is. He has used 1000 VPNs and still he is
> known to us all.

Might be Wally is another identity for Burnelli, but the 2 have dipolar
personalities. Often someone using multiple nyms will eventually fuck
up by revealing their other identity. It can be hard to keep secret the
other self. As far as the Wally persona goes, the only thing that rubs
me the wrong way is his ego stroking and apologetic overtones. You have
to shake the donut to get rid of the excess sugar.

Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

<umtplv$23c1f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77312&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77312

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 03:30:08 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 07:30 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote

>> The alt.comp.microsoft.windows does go back "about 20 years" it seems.
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/ZY6Tg2hB/dejagoogle01.jpg>
>
> My bad. I neglected to account for retention. ES and Solani probably
> have shorter retentions than Google Groups. I don't have a Giganews
> account to check there. And GG is dead coming this Feb 24.

No problem. I accept that you were checking my work (which is fine).
Usenet is water under the bridge to me and you were right that it wasn't
there "forever" anyway.

My use of "forever" was imprecise as I didn't even know how long, but
certainly I created the tinyurls for the Windows newsgroups ages ago, and
a.c.m.w existed then, which you can tell by clicking on some of these links
<http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-microsoft-windows>
<http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-95>
<http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-2000>
<http://tinyurl.com/microsoft-public-windowsxp-gen> (32-char limit)
<http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-8>
<http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10>
etc.

I just knew that it was 'always' there (for some value of always) all along
whenever I had posted things to any of the Windows newsgroups since about
Windows 95 days - where I used it because I knew that my tutorials would be
auto-archived there so that others could find them and benefit from the
effort I take in writing them.

I've always cared about others being able to access our Usenet archives,
where "others" don't need anything but a browser to read what we write.

They can search on any platform and found everything we've spoken about, in
addition to people who do know Usenet being able to search before posting.

Notice though that you brought out the MOST IMPORTANT value of a permanent
storage solution which doesn't require "retention" limits in a newsserver.

The good news is the dejagoogle archives are (almost) permanent and they go
back (almost) to the beginning - so "retention" shouldn't be an issue.

Of course, while the archives & the web searching from any platform will
(likely) remain for some time, it will stop autoarchiving in February.

That's where the narkive & other archives (e.g., pcbanter) will come in.

Suffice to say, I agree with the concept that we don't need specific
Windows newsgroups for each version, especially now that Windows is mature.

As an analogue, we don't have specific newsgroups for Android or iOS
versions, and even in the case of iOS that has a phone & iPad newsgroup,
the phone newsgroup is mostly what people use unless it's specific to the
iPad alone (which it rarely is).

Likewise with Windows, where my only goal (to add value) was to let people
know that there has been for about 20 years a "canonical" windows ng.
<http://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows>
<https://alt.comp.microsoft.windows.narkive.com>
<https://www.novabbs.com/computers/thread.php?group=alt.comp.microsoft.windows>
--
The one thing about me that is different from many others is I hate being
wrong so I almost never guess as people who guess very often guess wrongly.

Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

<kvfgphFn7shU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77315&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77315

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 10:00:19 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 10:00 UTC

Wally J wrote:

> <http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10>

Did pcbanter lose its feed nearly 2 years ago? It doesn't have a good
reputation for the diybanter forum, most of the 'locals' KF messages
originating there ...

Re: alt.comp.os.windows-11 on giganews?

<46rthn5sy9vn$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77320&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77320

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 09:35:51 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 15:35 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Wally J wrote:
>
>> <http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10>
>
> Did pcbanter lose its feed nearly 2 years ago? It doesn't have a good
> reputation for the diybanter forum, most of the 'locals' KF messages
> originating there ...

pcbanter.net still exists, but I've long filtered out posts from there,
and many other Usenet leeching web sites using NNTP-to-HTTP gateways,
and add more as I hap upon them. Each web forum at PCBanter indicates
to which newsgroup they leech. Their only forum that doesn't leech to
Usenet is one that discusses feedback on their forum itself where the
last post there was back in 2011 (which is a sticky info post about how
to post there).