From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & Android peer to peer file transfer
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 08:22:14 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:22 UTC

Note: Removed alt.home.repair in this reply as this does not seem an
on-topic post to that newsgroup. (Didn't notice the unrelated newsgroup
in my first reply.)

Oscar Mayer <nobody@oscarmayer.com> wrote:

> All it really needs is some kind of rsync that syncs a folder over Wi-Fi.
> Especially when my Android phone is always mounted as the P: drive anyway.

Since the phone is always mounted as volume P: on your Windows host, why
not use robocopy that comes with Windows? You could use a shorcut to
run it manually with the parameters you choose? Or you could add an
event to Task Scheduler to run periodically. Or Syncback (free or
paid), or FreeFileSync? Those can be ran manually or scheduled, too.

Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & Android peer to peer file transfer

<mstieyf1rrpt$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77642&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77642

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 15:35:11 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:35 UTC

Note: Removed alt.home.repair in my reply as this issue seems off-topic
to that newsgroup.

Oscar Mayer <nobody@oscarmayer.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 08:22:14 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:
>
>>> All it really needs is some kind of rsync that syncs a folder over Wi-Fi.
>>> Especially when my Android phone is always mounted as the P: drive anyway.
>>
>> Since the phone is always mounted as volume P: on your Windows host, why
>> not use robocopy that comes with Windows? You could use a shorcut to
>> run it manually with the parameters you choose? Or you could add an
>> event to Task Scheduler to run periodically. Or Syncback (free or
>> paid), or FreeFileSync? Those can be ran manually or scheduled, too.
>
> Much appreciated the suggestion of something you called "robocopy" on Win.
>
> Given the phone is always mounted as the "P:" drive (P stands for
> phone), I agree with you that Windows must have had some sort of
> syncing commands.
>
> Looking up this robocopy (which I had never heard of before), is this it?
> C:\Windows\system32\Robocopy.exe
>
> What I'd want to do is automatically sync these two folders once a day.
> C:\Sync folder\{amazon.txt,costco.txt,homedepot.txt}
> P:\Sync Folder\{amazon.txt,costco.txt,homedepot.txt}
>
> All I need is an easy way to sync folders if I can figure out the syntax.
> https://www.thewindowsclub.com/whats-new-in-windows-7-robocopy
>
> At this moment there are too many "easy robo copy gui's" to choose
> from.

I never used a GUI frontend to robocopy. I just use it at the command
prompt. To get help on robocopy, run:

robocopy /?

A couple parameters I almost always use with robocopy are /r and /w.
The defaults are way too long: 1 million retries at 30 seconds each
retry is 500K seconds, or 347 days. I shorten to 10 retries (/r:10) and
10 seconds (/w:10) for a total of up to 100 seconds to keep retrying a
failed copy.

robocopy does not support VSC (Volume Shadow Copy) service which means
if a file is locked then robocopy cannot copy it. SyncBack requires a
paid version to support VSC. FreeFileSync (free) says it supports VSC.
Syncback and FreeFileSync have GUI frontends.

My guess is you want to mirror folders on Windows to Android, so use the
/mir parameter in robocopy. Before commiting the changes, you can use
the /L parameter which only lists what would've happened without it.
When you are ready then remove /L to commit the actions. You can add /v
for verbose output to see what files would get skipped.