From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & Android peer to peer file transfer
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:07:51 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 19:07 UTC

Mighty Wannabe <@.> wrote:

> I've downloaded "SilentNotes" from Google Store. I like it. I think this
> is a perfect app for making "to-do" lists
>
> Thanks for recommending this app. There are so many apps out there that
> I simply cannot spend hours to download and try them out to find a gem.
> I think I will use this one from now on.

I went to the Google Play Store to see what SilentNotes looked like. My
immediate reaction is it looks like Evernote. I haven't looked at
Evernote for years, so its GUI might've changed since. SilentNotes says
no ads, and its Play Store page doesn't mention ads, but no sync across
devices. Evernote has sync across devices, but has in-app purchases (I
don't how obnoxious are its ads), but the free version is too crippled.
I recall there something overly limited about the free version of
Evernotes, I didn't like its GUI. Joplin was a close competitor to
Evernote, but you had to provide your own cloud sync across devices
(e.g., OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc). They have their own
Joplin Cloud, but it's not free. I remember looking at Google Keep, but
decided not to try it. I went with Microsoft's OneDrive which is free
with no ads on both Windows and Android, and syncs across devices using
the MS account (which I've used since MS acquired Hotmail in 1997).
Almost any Windows and Android note apps that can share doc files can be
synchronized using free file sync services (OneDrive, Google Drive,
Dropbox, etc).

Wannabe might not care about sync across devices, but the OP does
although he's looking for an intranet or local solution, not something
cloud based for sync, but then his solutions only work when his Android
phone is connected as a P: drive to his Windows desktop, not when he
uses his phone as a mobile device. I need cross-platform sync,
especially when my phone is away from my desktop PC, so SilentNotes is
not a choice for me unless I somehow combined it with cloud file storage
already mentioned, but I'd need to find out if SilentNotes uses doc
files of a common type that a Windows app can read. Looks good for a
local-only note taker, though.

For simple to-do lists, and an Android local-only solution, I've used
the QuickMemo app (no longer at Play Store) that came bundled on my
phone. The Plus version at the Play Store is adware, so I don't
recommend it, and it not an extended or forked version of LG's app. I
don't have other smartphones to see what note app might be bundled with
other brands of phones, or in later versions of Android.