The disks are getting full; purge a file today.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & Android peer to peer file transfer

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & AndroidVanguardLH
+* Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & AndroidDave Royal
|`- Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & AndroidPaul
`* Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & AndroidCharlie
 `* Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & AndroidAndrew
  `- Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & AndroidPaul

1
Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & Android peer to peer file transfer

<fmaxu6cia9je$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77663&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77663

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & Android peer to peer file transfer
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:10:22 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 03:10 UTC

Bradley <bradley@nospam.com> wrote:

> But I do agree that if you already had a working WebDAV online account,
> then it's probably easy to set it up to work with that online server.
>
> The Windows problem (more so than Android) is how to set up the WebDAV
> server on Windows and how to test it so that everything is working BEFORE
> you start to try to sync Android Silent Notes with Windows Silent Notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4DZcS6V-Zs

At timemark 2:44, I see there is also an option to create a self-signed
certificate. You can get free ones at https://letsencrypt.org/;
however, as I recall, you have to setup a web site, import their cert,
and then have them validate your web site is using the cert they issued
to you. Well, you're installing IIS to get the WebDAV service, but
you'd have to make it accessible on your internetwork host for them to
validate. You probably also have to register for a domain, or use the
hosts file trick mentioned in the video. The video moves pretty fast
past some points, so get ready to pause the video to see what they're
showing you.

Self-signed cert for IIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFikeLC-Ed4

> Maybe this ghacks article has how to do it?
> https://www.ghacks.net/2021/05/12/silentnotes-is-an-open-source-note-taking-tool-to-do-list-app-that-can-sync-the-content-between-your-windows-10-and-android-devices/

All I see there is mention of the multiple protocols supported by the
SilentNotes client: FTP, WebDAV, Google Drive, OneDrive, and Dropbox.
Nothing about setting up an IIS server, and then setup the WebDAV
component.

Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & Android peer to peer file transfer

<uo7vn5$1tak9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77665&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77665

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using
Windows & Android peer to peer file transfer
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 07:30:44 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Royal - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 07:30 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> Wrote in message:
> <snip>
>
> At timemark 2:44, I see there is also an option to create a self-signed
> certificate. You can get free ones at https://letsencrypt.org/;
> however, as I recall, you have to setup a web site, import their cert,
> and then have them validate your web site is using the cert they issued
> to you. Well, you're installing IIS to get the WebDAV service, but
> you'd have to make it accessible on your internetwork host for them to
> validate. You probably also have to register for a domain, or use the
> hosts file trick mentioned in the video. The video moves pretty fast
> past some points, so get ready to pause the video to see what they're
> showing you.
>
> <snip>

I've not been following this thread, so this might be irrelevant.

If you want a self-signed certificate for a local machine, and
don't need it to be linked to a CA (eg letsencrypt), then you can
just make one with an openssl command. You get a couple of files
which you have to configure the webserver to use. I've done it
with Apache and nginx, but not IIS.

But it depends if the client program will accept it - ie warn you
but allow you to register an exception, which is what Firefox
does.
--
Remove numerics from my email address.

Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & Android peer to peer file transfer

<uo8kbq$2rj3$1@neodome.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77672&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77672

From: charlie@nospam.com (Charlie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 06:23:06 -0700
 by: Charlie - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 13:23 UTC

On this Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:10:22 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

>> https://www.ghacks.net/2021/05/12/silentnotes-is-an-open-source-note-taking-tool-to-do-list-app-that-can-sync-the-content-between-your-windows-10-and-android-devices/
>
> All I see there is mention of the multiple protocols supported by the
> SilentNotes client: FTP, WebDAV, Google Drive, OneDrive, and Dropbox.
> Nothing about setting up an IIS server, and then setup the WebDAV
> component.

I think the problem set of synchronizing Silent Notes between Android &
Windows over your own LAN has to be broken up into two separate chunks.

1. Setting up the native Windows WebDAV server (which is part of IIS).
2. Testing that native Windows WebDAV server until you know it works.

Once that is working, only then can you synchronize the SilentNotes to it.

Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & Android peer to peer file transfer

<uo8ldv$1qd7$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77674&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77674

From: andrew@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 13:41:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:SFfluUzplH/UJsSx/hPRhvO+3P4= sha256:qxhqX2L/bGKHWSDDyNaDN0Ru4WfMSud1PQG2pkRzO3c=
 by: Andrew - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 13:41 UTC

Charlie wrote on Wed, 17 Jan 2024 06:23:06 -0700 :

> Once that is working, only then can you synchronize the SilentNotes to it.

I wonder if the op can set up both the native Windows WebDAV server and
client so that the entire testbench can be done without the LAN involved?

This implies both the WebDAV server & WebDAV client is native to Windows.
https://www.webdavsystem.com/server/access/windows/

"Mini-Redirector is a Microsoft WebDAV client that is provided as part of
Windows. Here we will describe mini-redirector provided with Windows 10,
Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista."

That site gives seemingly good examples of how to connect client to server.

"The fastest way to connect to WebDAV server on Windows is to use Windows
Explorer address bar. Windows Shell recognizes special URI format that
looks like:

\\server@SSL@port\DavWWWRoot\path\

The '@port' segment is optional if the default port 80 or 443 is used, as
well as you should specify '@SSL' only if SSL/HTTPS is required. You can
also avoid DavWWWRoot (see below).

For example to connect to the root of your WebDAV server running on port
5555 specify in the address bar in Windows Explorer:

\\server@5555\DavWWWRoot\

To connect to WebDAV server that is using SSL and running on a non-default
port 4444 you must specify:

\\server@SSL@4444\DavWWWRoot\

What is DavWWWRoot?
DavWWWRoot is a special keyword recognized by Windows Shell. There is no
such folder exists on your WebDAV server and you should not create it. You
also will not find any DavWWWRoot name in requests to your server. The
DavWWWRoot keyword tells Mini-Redirector driver, that handles WebDAV
requests, that you are connecting to the root of WebDAV server.

You can avoid using this keyword if you specify the folder that exists on
your server when connecting to the server. For example:

\\webdavserver.com\sales\

in this case DavWWWRoot will not appear in URLs.

In some environments, you may experience long delays when browsing WebDAV
server. In many cases, they are caused by a proxy or firewall server. The
first thing to try is to uncheck the 'Automatically Select Settings'
checkbox in LAN Settings dialog.

Basic authentication requires SSL/HTTPS connection to be used. By default,
the Windows WebDAV client will fail to connect to insecure WebDAV server
using Basic. However for development purposes you often will require to
enable non-SSL access. In this case, you can use the workaround described
here. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2123563

Windows Shell caches user credentials authentication scheme that may cause
various issues when developing WebDAV server. During the development, we
recommend to leave the 'Save credentials' checkbox unchecked. If you have
saved the credentials, you can clear credentials cache in the UI brought by
the following command:

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

The above command will display a dialog with cached credentials in which
you can delete them.

Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & Android peer to peer file transfer

<uo92ie$24jle$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77686&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77686

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Windows & Android peer to peer file transfer
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 12:25:33 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:25 UTC

On 1/17/2024 2:30 AM, Dave Royal wrote:

> I've not been following this thread, so this might be irrelevant.
>
> If you want a self-signed certificate for a local machine, and
> don't need it to be linked to a CA (eg letsencrypt), then you can
> just make one with an openssl command. You get a couple of files
> which you have to configure the webserver to use. I've done it
> with Apache and nginx, but not IIS.
>
> But it depends if the client program will accept it <===== This.

And that is the essence of networking in the year 2024.

It's like when I do file sharing in this room, and the
results are "never twice the same". Good work, if you can find it.

How do people "in the real world" do it ? I asked someone.
He doesn't use file sharing. He carries a USB stick across
the room, plugs it in, and transfers files. That's how the
real people do it :-) Just in case anyone is wondering.

These are the people who carry their grocery list, on a piece of paper.

The pen is dependable. Ink always comes out of it. You don't have
to reboot the pen, and try again.

*******

This is how you get an account fixed in 2024.

You get a relative, who is a journalist, to write an article for you.
This is a known and proven protocol :-) And in this case, it worked.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/01/meta-verification-proved-useless-and-my-family-is-still-locked-out-of-instagram/

Paul

Re: Making icons for todo checklist text files on the go using Windows & Android peer to peer file transfer

<uo945s$24uh4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77688&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77688

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Windows & Android peer to peer file transfer
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 12:53:00 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:53 UTC

On 1/17/2024 8:41 AM, Andrew wrote:
> Charlie wrote on Wed, 17 Jan 2024 06:23:06 -0700 :
>
>> Once that is working, only then can you synchronize the SilentNotes to it.
>
> I wonder if the op can set up both the native Windows WebDAV server and
> client so that the entire testbench can be done without the LAN involved?

But that's not the test case that needs testing.

It's the cross-platform matrix that needs testing.

Ka-BLOOIE. Trust me.

I would agree, that doing the localized platform test,
proves the plumbing is working, and the protocols
execute properly. But such testing is unlikely to be
a predictor of what happens in other permutations
and combinations. You have evidence, if you can get
anything to work, that it *could* work, not that it *will* work.

As an intermediate test point, I might run a Linux computer
and WebDAV client on one side of the room, and the Windows
server on the other. That would be the next challenge.

Getting it to work with Android, that's a bar bet.
Then it's a question of whether it only works in
the room, or it works from Starbucks.

That should be your last test.

Paul