Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Email quirk

SubjectAuthor
* Email quirkJim the Geordie
+* Re: Email quirkEd Cryer
|`* Re: Email quirkJohn Hall
| +- Re: Email quirkAndy Burns
| `* Re: Email quirk...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  `* Re: Email quirkVanguardLH
|   `- Re: Email quirk...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
`* Re: Email quirkVanguardLH
 `* Re: Email quirkJim the Geordie
  +- Re: Email quirkAndy Burns
  `- Re: Email quirkVanguardLH

1
Email quirk

<MPG.40131818245062e69896d9@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77713&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77713

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Email quirk
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 11:13:05 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 11:13 UTC

My default email client is set to Thunderbird.
However if I click on an email in the notification panel in Wwindows (up
to date), it opens the email in Outlook. Can I prevent that happening?

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Email quirk

<uobjbl$2lj5a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77720&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77720

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Email quirk
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 16:23:59 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 16:23 UTC

Jim the Geordie wrote:
> My default email client is set to Thunderbird.
> However if I click on an email in the notification panel in Wwindows (up
> to date), it opens the email in Outlook. Can I prevent that happening?

Only at the expense of seriously crippling your Windows installation.
MS have made Edge and Outlook essential parts of their OS, and they use
strong tactics to keep it that way.

Ed

Re: Email quirk

<krxphk4e2c85$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77721&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77721

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 10:24:49 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 16:24 UTC

Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> My default email client is set to Thunderbird. However if I click on
> an email in the notification panel in Wwindows (up to date), it opens
> the email in Outlook. Can I prevent that happening?

Did you install Microsoft Outlook (probably as a component in MS
Office)? Or by "Outlook" do you mean the Mail app that is bundled in
Windows?

Is the toast (popup notification) created by Outlook (or Mail), or some
other program?

Without knowing the code sitting behind a notification, my guess is
Microsoft is not proposing a mailto: link in the notification, but is
using the URL:outlookmail scheme. Any program can define a URL scheme
(usually when it is installed, or by configuration option).

What opens when you create a mailto: link on the desktop (e.g.,
mailto:someone@somewhere.tld)? Create a shortcut, specify the mailto:
URL as the target, and then double-click on the mailto: shortcut. What
program opens to handle the mail send? That would show what is the
default mail handler *if* one were not specified by the URL scheme used.

Re: Email quirk

<lQOb$KEgiVqlFwrb@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77725&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77725

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 16:58:08 +0000
 by: John Hall - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 16:58 UTC

In message <uobjbl$2lj5a$2@dont-email.me>, Ed Cryer
<ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> writes
>Jim the Geordie wrote:
>> My default email client is set to Thunderbird.
>> However if I click on an email in the notification panel in Wwindows (up
>> to date), it opens the email in Outlook. Can I prevent that happening?
>>

>Only at the expense of seriously crippling your Windows installation.
>MS have made Edge and Outlook essential parts of their OS, and they use
>strong tactics to keep it that way.
>
>Ed

I don't have Outlook installed on my Windows 10 PC and Windows works
perfectly fine.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Email quirk

<l0t4inFi58aU8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77727&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77727

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 17:13:59 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 17:13 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <uobjbl$2lj5a$2@dont-email.me>, Ed Cryer
> <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> writes
>> Jim the Geordie wrote:
>>> My default email client is set to Thunderbird.
>>> However if I click on an email in the notification panel in Wwindows (up
>>> to date), it opens the email in Outlook. Can I prevent that happening?
>>>
>> Only at the expense of seriously crippling your Windows installation.
>> MS have made Edge and Outlook essential parts of their OS, and they
>> use strong tactics to keep it that way.

They strong-arm the default web browser, but not so much the default
email client.

> I don't have Outlook installed on my Windows 10 PC and Windows works
> perfectly fine.

Occasionally thunderbird "looses" the MAPI Handler, a simple re-install
of TB, without removing it first often fixes it.

Re: Email quirk

<MPG.401378694d1ceca99896df@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77733&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77733

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 18:03:59 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 18:03 UTC

In article <krxphk4e2c85$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, V@nguard.LH says...

> Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > My default email client is set to Thunderbird. However if I click on
> > an email in the notification panel in Wwindows (up to date), it opens
> > the email in Outlook. Can I prevent that happening?
>
> Did you install Microsoft Outlook (probably as a component in MS
> Office)? Or by "Outlook" do you mean the Mail app that is bundled in
> Windows?
>
> Is the toast (popup notification) created by Outlook (or Mail), or some
> other program?
>
> Without knowing the code sitting behind a notification, my guess is
> Microsoft is not proposing a mailto: link in the notification, but is
> using the URL:outlookmail scheme. Any program can define a URL scheme
> (usually when it is installed, or by configuration option).
>
> What opens when you create a mailto: link on the desktop (e.g.,
> mailto:someone@somewhere.tld)? Create a shortcut, specify the mailto:
> URL as the target, and then double-click on the mailto: shortcut. What
> program opens to handle the mail send? That would show what is the
> default mail handler *if* one were not specified by the URL scheme used.

That opens using Thunderbird

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Email quirk

<l0t8k6Fi58aU11@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77734&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77734

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 18:23:01 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 18:23 UTC

Jim the Geordie wrote:
> In article <krxphk4e2c85$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, V@nguard.LH says...
>>
>> Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> My default email client is set to Thunderbird. However if I click on
>>> an email in the notification panel in Wwindows (up to date), it opens
>>> the email in Outlook. Can I prevent that happening?
>>
>> Did you install Microsoft Outlook (probably as a component in MS
>> Office)? Or by "Outlook" do you mean the Mail app that is bundled in
>> Windows?
>>
>> Is the toast (popup notification) created by Outlook (or Mail), or some
>> other program?
>>
>> Without knowing the code sitting behind a notification, my guess is
>> Microsoft is not proposing a mailto: link in the notification, but is
>> using the URL:outlookmail scheme. Any program can define a URL scheme
>> (usually when it is installed, or by configuration option).
>>
>> What opens when you create a mailto: link on the desktop (e.g.,
>> mailto:someone@somewhere.tld)? Create a shortcut, specify the mailto:
>> URL as the target, and then double-click on the mailto: shortcut. What
>> program opens to handle the mail send? That would show what is the
>> default mail handler *if* one were not specified by the URL scheme used.
>
> That opens using Thunderbird

So maybe I misunderstood your O/P, can you tell what program is
producing the notification (does it look thunderbird or outlook style)

when you click on the notification, and it launches outlook, is your
email actually in there?

Re: Email quirk

<wsvd674npwoo.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77738&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77738

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 12:59:29 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 18:59 UTC

Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <krxphk4e2c85$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, V@nguard.LH says...
>>
>> Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> My default email client is set to Thunderbird. However if I click on
>>> an email in the notification panel in Wwindows (up to date), it opens
>>> the email in Outlook. Can I prevent that happening?
>>
>> Did you install Microsoft Outlook (probably as a component in MS
>> Office)? Or by "Outlook" do you mean the Mail app that is bundled in
>> Windows?
>>
>> Is the toast (popup notification) created by Outlook (or Mail), or some
>> other program?
>>
>> Without knowing the code sitting behind a notification, my guess is
>> Microsoft is not proposing a mailto: link in the notification, but is
>> using the URL:outlookmail scheme. Any program can define a URL scheme
>> (usually when it is installed, or by configuration option).
>>
>> What opens when you create a mailto: link on the desktop (e.g.,
>> mailto:someone@somewhere.tld)? Create a shortcut, specify the mailto:
>> URL as the target, and then double-click on the mailto: shortcut. What
>> program opens to handle the mail send? That would show what is the
>> default mail handler *if* one were not specified by the URL scheme used.
>
> That opens using Thunderbird

And what happens when you do the same using outlookmail: or ms-outlook:
as the URL scheme, as in:

outlookmail:someone@somewhere.tld

That should open the Outlook program. A toast presented by the Outlook
program might use the outlookmail: protocol instead of mailto:.

Just what program is opening the toast (notification)? I would think
Tbird would use popup alerts, not Windows toasts. Considering
Thunderbird is cross-platform, seems odd they would even bother
supporting toasts which is a Windows thing. However, being
cross-platform does not obviate taking advantages of an OS over another.

You could disable Tbird using toasts. Then it will present popups. You
can then differentiate between alerts from Tbird as popups and whatever
other program is generating toasts (Windows notifications).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DgwAs9_RkY
timemark 1:17
Enable "Show alert" but disable "Use the system notification".

Why have Outlook generating toasts if you aren't going to use Outlook,
and want to use Thunderbird instead? I don't use Outlook to know if it
has a setting to disable notifications (not its popup alert box, but not
to use Windows notifications). I have Outlook installed as part of MS
365, but have yet to use it, so no accounts defined in it yet. When I
go to:

Settings -> Notifications

Outlook isn't listed as one I could switch off notifications. That
could be due to not yet configuring Outlook.

I find Windows notifications are unreliable. When they should show,
they sometimes don't. While my e-mail program can use either popup
alerts or Windows notifications, I grew weary of missing notifications
(never showed up, or already expired so they disappear), so I configured
my e-mail client to NOT use notifications, and instead use popup alerts.

Notifications only remain on screen for a short time. You can up the
show time to 5 seconds, 7 seconds, 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, or
5 minutes. Even 5 minutes isn't very long when you are away from your
computer and return. You could be away for a lot longer than just 5
minutes.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_change_the_windows_10_notification_display_time.html

As I recall, you can edit a registry setting for a longer up-time on
toasts; however, Windows will ignore out-of-range values.

https://winaero.com/how-to-change-how-long-notifications-stay-in-windows-11/
Note: You cannot set the MessageDuration value lower than 5 or above
300. Windows 11 will simply ignore these out-of-range values.

Same for Windows 10. 5 minutes is too short. Yeah, it's a long time
when you're sitting at the computer, get the toast, and finish or get to
a pause point with whatever you're doing at the time to then address the
notification, but often it takes a lot longer than 5 minutes to pause my
work, and I can be away from my computer for a lot longer than 5
minutes. I don't ever remember having a meeting that was under 5
minutes. Toasts are of value only when you're at the computer, and can
interrupt whatever you're doing to switch to whatever the notification
is about. If I have to visit the notification panel to catch any toasts
that I missed, I might as well as load my e-mail client to check on new
mails, calendar events, etc.

Re: Email quirk

<uoc620$2ospe$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77742&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77742

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 14:43:28 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 21:43 UTC

John Hall wrote on 1/18/24 9:58 AM:
> In message <uobjbl$2lj5a$2@dont-email.me>, Ed Cryer
> <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> writes
>> Jim the Geordie wrote:
>>> My default email client is set to Thunderbird.
>>> However if I click on an email in the notification panel in Wwindows (up
>>> to date), it opens the email in Outlook. Can I prevent that happening?
>>>

>> Only at the expense of seriously crippling your Windows installation.
>> MS have made Edge and Outlook essential parts of their OS, and they use
>> strong tactics to keep it that way.
>>
>> Ed
>
> I don't have Outlook installed on my Windows 10 PC and Windows works
> perfectly fine.
Windows built in(included) email client is name-branded as 'Outlook'
=> Outlook)the app) replaced the earlier included email client(app)
which was name-branded as 'Windows Mail or Mail'. In other words, the
app got a name change and a face-lift with some additional features.

- i.e. it(Outlook app) is installed as a app package, not a
application(program)
....and unlike Outlook(the program) that is installed with Microsoft 365
Personal and Family or stand-alone versions of Office that include
Outlook(Home and Business).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Email quirk

<1fa1czxezrx58.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77744&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77744

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 18:08:47 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 00:08 UTC

"...w¡ñ§±¤ñ " <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

> John Hall wrote on 1/18/24 9:58 AM:
>> In message <uobjbl$2lj5a$2@dont-email.me>, Ed Cryer
>> <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> writes
>>>>

>>> Only at the expense of seriously crippling your Windows installation.
>>> MS have made Edge and Outlook essential parts of their OS, and they use
>>> strong tactics to keep it that way.
>>>
>>> Ed
>>
>> I don't have Outlook installed on my Windows 10 PC and Windows works
>> perfectly fine.
> Windows built in(included) email client is name-branded as 'Outlook'
> => Outlook)the app) replaced the earlier included email client(app)
> which was name-branded as 'Windows Mail or Mail'. In other words, the
> app got a name change and a face-lift with some additional features.
>
> - i.e. it(Outlook app) is installed as a app package, not a
> application(program)
> ...and unlike Outlook(the program) that is installed with Microsoft 365
> Personal and Family or stand-alone versions of Office that include
> Outlook(Home and Business).

On a host where MS Office/365 or Outlook standalone was never installed,
so just the Mail (rebranded Outlook) UWP app exists since it is bundled
in Windows, is the URL:outlookmail protocol defined? I figured it only
showed up if Outlook (the real program) were installed, and not because
the Mail app was pre-bundled.

Perhaps in their paint job on Mail to rebrand it as Outlook (Microsoft
loves to confuse product names) they updated the URL protocols to add
outlookmail: without any install of the real Outlook program. Their
"Outlook for Windows" UWP app looks like the Mail UWP app with a paint
job. I don't recall seeing the outlookmail: URL protocol before I
installed the MS Outlook program.

Re: Email quirk

<uod9ln$31pl7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77746&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77746

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 00:51:17 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 07:51 UTC

VanguardLH wrote on 1/18/24 5:08 PM:
> "...w¡ñ§±¤ñ " <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> John Hall wrote on 1/18/24 9:58 AM:
>>> In message <uobjbl$2lj5a$2@dont-email.me>, Ed Cryer
>>> <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> writes

>>> I don't have Outlook installed on my Windows 10 PC and Windows works
>>> perfectly fine.
>> Windows built in(included) email client is name-branded as 'Outlook'
>> => Outlook)the app) replaced the earlier included email client(app)
>> which was name-branded as 'Windows Mail or Mail'. In other words, the
>> app got a name change and a face-lift with some additional features.
>>
>> - i.e. it(Outlook app) is installed as a app package, not a
>> application(program)
>> ...and unlike Outlook(the program) that is installed with Microsoft 365
>> Personal and Family or stand-alone versions of Office that include
>> Outlook(Home and Business).
>
> On a host where MS Office/365 or Outlook standalone was never installed,
> so just the Mail (rebranded Outlook) UWP app exists since it is bundled
> in Windows, is the URL:outlookmail protocol defined? I figured it only
> showed up if Outlook (the real program) were installed, and not because
> the Mail app was pre-bundled.
Some background
Outlook app replacing the Mail app is a staged deployment starting in
2023 through mid-late 2024(not deployed to the entire universe of all
supported Win11 versions and devices at the same time).

The Outlook app's current name is 'Outlook(new)'
If the Outlook app is present it replaces the Mail app
- then both icons will(should) still exist on the Start Menu/Start
screen trying to open the older Mail app...will redirect and open the
newer Outlook app.
- the older Mail app and its icon will be removed in the future
- Outlook(new) when opened and until the Mail App is completely
replaced has an option to toggle off 'Outlook(new)' and revert to the
older Mail app.

If Outlook(the program) and the Outlook app are installed with
Outlook(the program) configured properly as default, it will be the
default 'MailTo' setting/link URL:MailTo Protocol
- if no other email clients are installed, the MailTo setting can be
changed to the Outlook(new) app
- if other email clients are installed and configured properly as
default, the MailTo etting can be changed to the Outlook(new) app
- if Outlook(program is not installed and no other email clients are
present/installed...the Outlook(new) will be the default MailTo setting.
If Outlook(new) has not been deployed, the old Mail app will be the
default MailTo.

> Perhaps in their paint job on Mail to rebrand it as Outlook (Microsoft
> loves to confuse product names) they updated the URL protocols to add
> outlookmail: without any install of the real Outlook program. Their
> "Outlook for Windows" UWP app looks like the Mail UWP app with a paint
> job. I don't recall seeing the outlookmail: URL protocol before I
> installed the MS Outlook program.

No, see above, without Outlook program installed..the URL is either Mail
or Outlook(new).

The product name change is old news(been complained about for some
time(pretty much since forever) Exchange was renamed Windows Messaging in
Win95/98; Windows Mail in Vista was included unlike OE in earlier o/s;
again with the release of Windows Live Mail(which went through its own
branding name changes); the name changes in the web client(MSn, Hotmail,
Live Hotmail, Hotmail, Live.com, Outlook.com)
=> time to move on from that 'naming-branding' subject matter

--