The unfacts, did we have them, are too imprecisely few to warrant our certitude.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Updating Windows 10 MBR

SubjectAuthor
* Updating Windows 10 MBRBill Bradshaw
+* Re: Updating Windows 10 MBRBig Al
|`* Re: Updating Windows 10 MBRBill Bradshaw
| `* Re: Updating Windows 10 MBRBig Al
|  `* Re: Updating Windows 10 MBRBig Al
|   `- Re: Updating Windows 10 MBRBill Bradshaw
+* Re: Updating Windows 10 MBR...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|+- Re: Updating Windows 10 MBRBill Bradshaw
|+* Re: Updating Windows 10 MBRBill Bradshaw
||`- Re: Updating Windows 10 MBRPaul
|`- Re: Updating Windows 10 MBRBill Bradshaw
`- Re: Updating Windows 10 MBRPaul

1
Updating Windows 10 MBR

<l0qtecF4ca8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77695&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77695

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Updating Windows 10 MBR
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:59:54 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 20:59 UTC

I have an old Windows 10 computer that is formatted MBR. No recovery. It
is not going to ever be used on the internet but I decided to update it
using the cumulative updates. So I figured out what the next update would
be and downloaded the updates and started installing them. Everything went
fine until that last 2 cumulative updates. Has somebody successfully
installed the last 2 updates to MBR with no recovery? Yes, I know I have
way to much time on my hands.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Updating Windows 10 MBR

<uo9h1v$26h7k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77696&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77696

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Updating Windows 10 MBR
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:32:47 -0500
 by: Big Al - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:32 UTC

On 1/17/24 03:59 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> I have an old Windows 10 computer that is formatted MBR. No recovery. It
> is not going to ever be used on the internet but I decided to update it
> using the cumulative updates. So I figured out what the next update would
> be and downloaded the updates and started installing them. Everything went
> fine until that last 2 cumulative updates. Has somebody successfully
> installed the last 2 updates to MBR with no recovery? Yes, I know I have
> way to much time on my hands.
Search for 0x in this group. There have been a lot of discussions on
KB....4441 if that's what you're talking about. Otherwise post the KB#
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Updating Windows 10 MBR

<l0r0duF4tb2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77699&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77699

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 12:50:52 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:50 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> On 1/17/24 03:59 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>> I have an old Windows 10 computer that is formatted MBR. No
>> recovery. It is not going to ever be used on the internet but I
>> decided to update it using the cumulative updates. So I figured out
>> what the next update would be and downloaded the updates and started
>> installing them. Everything went fine until that last 2 cumulative
>> updates. Has somebody successfully installed the last 2 updates to
>> MBR with no recovery? Yes, I know I have way to much time on my
>> hands.
> Search for 0x in this group. There have been a lot of discussions on
> KB....4441 if that's what you're talking about. Otherwise post the
> KB#

I am also looking at the update 1 before that. I wonder if Microsoft is
trying to force us to at least have Win 10 computers that can be upgraded to
11?

<Bill>

Re: Updating Windows 10 MBR

<uo9jj1$27ecn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77700&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77700

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:16:01 -0500
 by: Big Al - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 22:16 UTC

On 1/17/24 04:50 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>> On 1/17/24 03:59 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>>> I have an old Windows 10 computer that is formatted MBR. No
>>> recovery. It is not going to ever be used on the internet but I
>>> decided to update it using the cumulative updates. So I figured out
>>> what the next update would be and downloaded the updates and started
>>> installing them. Everything went fine until that last 2 cumulative
>>> updates. Has somebody successfully installed the last 2 updates to
>>> MBR with no recovery? Yes, I know I have way to much time on my
>>> hands.
>> Search for 0x in this group. There have been a lot of discussions on
>> KB....4441 if that's what you're talking about. Otherwise post the
>> KB#
>
> I am also looking at the update 1 before that. I wonder if Microsoft is
> trying to force us to at least have Win 10 computers that can be upgraded to
> 11?
>
> <Bill>

Need KB #s. We can't see your screen.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Updating Windows 10 MBR

<uo9jkq$27ecn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77701&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77701

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:16:58 -0500

On 1/17/24 05:16 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 1/17/24 04:50 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>> Big Al wrote:
>>> Search for 0x in this group.  There have been a lot of discussions on
>>> KB....4441 if that's what you're talking about.  Otherwise post the
>>> KB#
>>
>> I am also looking at the update 1 before that.  I wonder if Microsoft is
>> trying to force us to at least have Win 10 computers that can be
>> upgraded to
>> 11?
>>
>> <Bill>
>>

> Need KB #s.  We can't see your screen.
Search for "Status: Download error - 0x80070643"
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Updating Windows 10 MBR

<uoa677$2dim8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77706&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77706

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 20:33:57 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 03:33 UTC

Bill Bradshaw wrote on 1/17/24 1:59 PM:
> I have an old Windows 10 computer that is formatted MBR. No recovery. It
> is not going to ever be used on the internet but I decided to update it
> using the cumulative updates. So I figured out what the next update would
> be and downloaded the updates and started installing them. Everything went
> fine until that last 2 cumulative updates. Has somebody successfully
> installed the last 2 updates to MBR with no recovery? Yes, I know I have
> way to much time on my hands.

More info needed
Even with MBR Windows 10 has a Recovery partition(not the OEM recovery
which is usually GB in size and at the end of your disk).

Open Disk Management, take a snapshot of the partitioning and post a link
to the picture or report in your response the partitions you see(all or
them) and the size and free space.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Updating Windows 10 MBR

<l0t4lbFiuggU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77728&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77728

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 08:15:21 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 17:15 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> On 1/17/24 05:16 PM, Big Al wrote:
>>>
>>> I am also looking at the update 1 before that. I wonder if
>>> Microsoft is trying to force us to at least have Win 10 computers
>>> that can be upgraded to
>>> 11?
>>>
>>> <Bill>
>>>

>> Need KB #s. We can't see your screen.
> Search for "Status: Download error - 0x80070643"

The last 2 are kb5033372 and kb50334122. I am not getting an error except
at the end the install process it displays a message update not installed.

I guess an additional question is on MBR do I need a recovery partition?

<Bill>

Re: Updating Windows 10 MBR

<l0t5b6Fj3a9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77729&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77729

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 08:27:00 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 17:27 UTC

....w�񧱤� wrote:
> Bill Bradshaw wrote on 1/17/24 1:59 PM:
>> I have an old Windows 10 computer that is formatted MBR. No
>> recovery. It is not going to ever be used on the internet but I
>> decided to update it using the cumulative updates. So I figured out
>> what the next update would be and downloaded the updates and started
>> installing them. Everything went fine until that last 2 cumulative
>> updates. Has somebody successfully installed the last 2 updates to
>> MBR with no recovery? Yes, I know I have way to much time on my
>> hands.
>
> More info needed
> Even with MBR Windows 10 has a Recovery partition(not the OEM recovery
> which is usually GB in size and at the end of your disk).
>
> Open Disk Management, take a snapshot of the partitioning and post a
> link to the picture or report in your response the partitions you
> see(all or them) and the size and free space.

I posted in a message to Al with the KBs. I have instructions for creating
a recovery partition so I will try to create one. I have recoverys on the
other computers and I still not have figured why all the partitions and why
they are where they are at. So the key is to create a recovery. I never
have had a problem in the past with using cumulative updates with no
recovery and was not sure you needed one with MBR. The computer I am
working with I purchased in January 2010 so it has had a lot upgrades and
updates without a problem untll now.

<Bill>

Re: Updating Windows 10 MBR

<l0t638Fj7fgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77730&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77730

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 08:39:51 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 17:39 UTC

....w�񧱤� wrote:
> Bill Bradshaw wrote on 1/17/24 1:59 PM:
>> I have an old Windows 10 computer that is formatted MBR. No
>> recovery. It is not going to ever be used on the internet but I
>> decided to update it using the cumulative updates. So I figured out
>> what the next update would be and downloaded the updates and started
>> installing them. Everything went fine until that last 2 cumulative
>> updates. Has somebody successfully installed the last 2 updates to
>> MBR with no recovery? Yes, I know I have way to much time on my
>> hands.
>
> More info needed
> Even with MBR Windows 10 has a Recovery partition(not the OEM recovery
> which is usually GB in size and at the end of your disk).
>
> Open Disk Management, take a snapshot of the partitioning and post a
> link to the picture or report in your response the partitions you
> see(all or them) and the size and free space.

I see what appears to be another problem in that I have 4 partitions (C, D,
E, F) and it appears this is probably affecting the creation of the recovery
partition. I have to do some more research.

<Bill>

Re: Updating Windows 10 MBR

<l0t6imFjailU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77731&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77731

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 08:48:04 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 17:48 UTC

....w�񧱤� wrote:
> Bill Bradshaw wrote on 1/17/24 1:59 PM:
>> I have an old Windows 10 computer that is formatted MBR. No
>> recovery. It is not going to ever be used on the internet but I
>> decided to update it using the cumulative updates. So I figured out
>> what the next update would be and downloaded the updates and started
>> installing them. Everything went fine until that last 2 cumulative
>> updates. Has somebody successfully installed the last 2 updates to
>> MBR with no recovery? Yes, I know I have way to much time on my
>> hands.
>
> More info needed
> Even with MBR Windows 10 has a Recovery partition(not the OEM recovery
> which is usually GB in size and at the end of your disk).
>
> Open Disk Management, take a snapshot of the partitioning and post a
> link to the picture or report in your response the partitions you
> see(all or them) and the size and free space.

Disk Management shows a healthy recovery behind C of 523MB. But is shows it
as unformatted. I thought it was suppose to formatted to NTFS. So there
could be a problem. I have to leave this issue behind for a while and get
on to things I am suppose to be doing.

<Bill>

Re: Updating Windows 10 MBR

<uobr98$2n1v4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77736&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77736

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:39:35 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 18:39 UTC

On 1/17/2024 3:59 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> I have an old Windows 10 computer that is formatted MBR. No recovery. It
> is not going to ever be used on the internet but I decided to update it
> using the cumulative updates. So I figured out what the next update would
> be and downloaded the updates and started installing them. Everything went
> fine until that last 2 cumulative updates. Has somebody successfully
> installed the last 2 updates to MBR with no recovery? Yes, I know I have
> way to much time on my hands.

I prepared a landing area, for one Windows 10, so the '4441
would work for sure. It is possible some drivers are getting
added here.

[Daily driver, physical install, dual-boot windows]

dir /ah K:\Recovery\WindowsRE [partition 6]

01/14/2024 12:55 PM 517,679,270 winre.wim

*******

[In a VM...]

C:\Recovery\WindowsRE [partition 3]

466,404,365 December 4 Winre.wim

K:\Recovery\WindowsRE [partition 4] reagentc /info points here...

473,452,580 Jan.18 winre.wim

In both cases, '4441 claims to be successfully installed.

I don't see a reason it could not install to
C:\Recovery\WindowsRE if that is where reagentc /info
points to.

reagentc could also be disabled. Check.

reagentc /info

It's not unknown for reagentc fo be disabled.
It is what prevents a Recovery USB stick from being made.

I had to "re-wire" a reagentc one day, just so I could
make one of the (lame) USB recovery sticks. You're better off
just downloading an ISO.

Paul

Re: Updating Windows 10 MBR

<uobtm8$2nf2p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77740&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77740

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 14:20:39 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 19:20 UTC

On 1/18/2024 12:39 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> Bill Bradshaw wrote on 1/17/24 1:59 PM:
>>> I have an old Windows 10 computer that is formatted MBR. No
>>> recovery. It is not going to ever be used on the internet but I
>>> decided to update it using the cumulative updates. So I figured out
>>> what the next update would be and downloaded the updates and started
>>> installing them. Everything went fine until that last 2 cumulative
>>> updates. Has somebody successfully installed the last 2 updates to
>>> MBR with no recovery? Yes, I know I have way to much time on my
>>> hands.
>>
>> More info needed
>> Even with MBR Windows 10 has a Recovery partition(not the OEM recovery
>> which is usually GB in size and at the end of your disk).
>>
>> Open Disk Management, take a snapshot of the partitioning and post a
>> link to the picture or report in your response the partitions you
>> see(all or them) and the size and free space.
>
> I see what appears to be another problem in that I have 4 partitions (C, D,
> E, F) and it appears this is probably affecting the creation of the recovery
> partition. I have to do some more research.
>
> <Bill>

Well, you know there is Extended/Logical, as a solution.
(At least the partition that booting starts from, the "Active"
partition, has to be a primary. C: could be in a logical if
you want. But for the trouble that would cause, you might
as well leave the controlling Windows C: as a primary.)

You also know, when you "move some things", you need
a boot repair. Macrium Reflect Rescue CD can do that.
(It has a "Boot Repair" in the menu only on the CD version.)
But it also fouls up some times, and needs a little help.

And while there is MBR2GPT.exe on your C: drive,
that too takes balls and instruction manuals.
You could change from MBR to GPT. There are
restrictions in the instructions, on what is supported.
I think I stopped testing that at some point (tool 1 : Paul 0).

Thwarted on every turn... :-)

I created an MBR VM just to test, and I had to do
one Boot Repair before I was finished there. I even had
to use PTEDIT32.exe and move one row of the partition
table, to clean up the mess. This sort of work is
loads of fun, for some value of loads.

Paul