"We don't care. We don't have to. We're the Phone Company."

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Notes

SubjectAuthor
* Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent NoteBradley
+* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent VanguardLH
|`* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Patrick
| `* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent VanguardLH
|  `* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Paul
|   `* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Andy Burns
|    `* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Arno Welzel
|     `* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Andy Burns
|      `* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent VanguardLH
|       `* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Andy Burns
|        `* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Andy Burns
|         `* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Bradley
|          +* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Java Jive
|          |`* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Bradley
|          | +- Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Java Jive
|          | +* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Andy Burns
|          | |`- Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Andy Burns
|          | +- Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Paul
|          | `* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Andy Burns
|          |  `* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Bradley
|          |   `- Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Andy Burns
|          +* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Andy Burns
|          |`* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Bradley
|          | +- Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Andy Burns
|          | `* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Paul
|          |  `* Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Indira
|          |   `- Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Paul
|          `- Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Andy Burns
`- Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Andy Burns

Pages:12
Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Notes

<uohnn7$3skql$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77755&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77755

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with
Android Silent Notes
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 19:15:34 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 00:15 UTC

On 1/20/2024 6:20 PM, Indira wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
>> Martins posts are to comp.mobile.android only.
>>
>> Perhaps GG removes cross-posts, before POST ?
>>
>> Or Martin set it that way ?
>>
>> http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3C841de574-0340-4f95-8b50-20c555f10271n%40googlegroups.com%3E
>
> The Android newsgroup is about 1000 spams to one real post without
> filtering out all the Google Groups posts. So it's unusable without
> deleting all the Google Groups posts (which only started happening about a
> month or two ago at this huge level - although it slowly ramped up).
>
> But I don't know how posting with Google Groups to Usenet works (and it
> probably won't matter in a month anyway).
>
> Even so, I'm guessing Martin Stoeckli probably couldn't post to the two
> Windows newsgroups because they're not archived by Google Groups.
>
> That's also maybe why the thousand to one spams is not happening on the
> Windows ngs.
>
> As a separate complaint, I don't know why Google lets so many spammers spam
> using their accounts. You'd think Google, of all companies, would know a
> robot from a human, especially as it requires a Google account to do it.

GG did actually put a Captcha in the interface, but they
were not being serious about it. And it's a joke. It's the
kind of activity that advertises "we never really cared, if you noticed".
That's what their current Captcha says.

They could have obliterated the spam using Bard, but, they didn't bother.
Once the spammers discovered they weren't getting in, the flood level
would drop considerably. By using Bard, it would have tamped down
the circus atmosphere in ThaiSpam country (gambling-associate spam).

But other administrators have taken similar nuclear approaches.
When there was a flood on a certain USENET server, the admin
set the server to read-only and just walked away. Done.
"If the users can't behave, fuck'em." That's certainly
a solution. And it's 100% functional. No need to de-peer the
dude, because no garbage will ever come from his server
ever again. It's possible two server operators may have done that,
got abused, admin tossed in towel and switched off posting.

And yes, the alt Windows groups not being in GG, is a blessing.
Who knew, at the time.

Paul

Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Notes

<l16lkaFcvt0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77775&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77775

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,comp.mobile.android
Android Silent Notes
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 08:00:09 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 08:00 UTC

Bradley wrote:

> I will do whatever I have to do to get WebDAV working with Android.

Did you get this working?

Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Notes

<uol81o$l812$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77777&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77777

From: bradley@nospam.com (Bradley)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Notes
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 03:12:39 -0500
References: <uo6oir$1jm4v$1@dont-email.me> <uq5akwgxpg3f.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <uo7c31$2g7l2$1@novabbs.org> <whqp9z65reqj.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <uo7lf7$1rm3o$1@dont-email.me> <l0pq7iFloepU2@mid.individual.net> <l0qgdoF1lfgU2@mid.individual.net> <l0qgooFbr5U2@mid.individual.net> <cb6sh06m6v50$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <l0qir6F27b6U1@mid.individual.net> <l0qjlrF27b5U1@mid.individual.net> <uo9mbl$27rfd$1@dont-email.me> <uo9t9f$28nj3$1@dont-email.me> <uoaq6g$2hdia$1@dont-email.me> <l16lkaFcvt0U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Bradley - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 08:12 UTC

On 1/22/2024 3:00 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> I will do whatever I have to do to get WebDAV working with Android.
>
> Did you get this working?

Not yet. But mostly I'm a deer in the headlights, not knowing where to go.

I am confused in a few ways where I just want a SIMPLE solution.
The simplest possible.

99 out of 100 times that means no security (just to prove it's working).
But I don't want to argue about security as people spent too much time on
that since I don't really care if I have to ADD it just to get it to work.

What's confusing is nobody has ever gotten the WebDAV server that comes
with Windows to work based on the responses to date, so that's an issue.

Even Martin Stoeckli said the people he deals with use a "Nextcloud
instance", whatever that means.

It's crazy that nobody has ever used the native Windows 10 WebDAV server so
that's really the very first thing I need to get to work all by itself.

I don't care about the security. If I have to add a user, I'll add a user.
If I havef to give that user a password, I'll do that. If I hve to create a
certificate, I'll do that too. But that can't be all there is to setting up
a Windows 10 WebDAV server so it's a waste of time just thinking about it.

My main care is that I can set up the native Windows WebDAV server to
connect to that WebDAV server to test that it's working. Until that
happens, there's no sense even bringing Silent Notes into the equation.

I'm stuck because there's no explanation anywhere on the net on just
getting the native Windows WebDAV server to connect to itself somehow.

Re: Help! Setting up local WebDAV Windows server over Wi-Fi with Android Silent Notes

<l16q3iFdl0lU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77779&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77779

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,comp.mobile.android
Android Silent Notes
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 09:16:34 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 09:16 UTC

Bradley wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Did you get this working?
>
> Not yet.
>
> What's confusing is nobody has ever gotten the WebDAV server that comes
> with Windows to work based on the responses to date, so that's an issue.

You may have missed my replies where I showed how to get it working, in
summary ...

control panel/programs and features, turn features on/off

under iis, tick all of
web management/iis management console
www services/common http features/webdav publishing
www services/security/basic authentication

Then do each of the following within the "Default web site"

under webdav authoring rules, enable webdav, add an authoring rule for
all content, and your windows username with read+write permissions

in webdav settings, allow anonymous property queries

under authentication, enable basic authentication

under MIME types, add an entry for
..silentnotes
of type
application/silentnotes

====

from SilentNotes app click the cloud icon
webDAV
http://aa.bb.cc.dd/
user=yourusername
pass=yourpwd

on the IIS machine, you'll see a file appear...

"C:\inetpub\wwwroot\silentnotes_repository.silentnotes"