Whoa...I did a 'zcat /vmlinuz > /dev/audio' and I think I heard God... -- mikecd on #Linux

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Strange sound system proem

SubjectAuthor
* Strange sound system proemMajorLanGod
+- Re: Strange sound system proemBig Al
+- Re: Strange sound system proemVanguardLH
+- Re: Strange sound system proemPaul
+- Re: Strange sound system proemMajorLanGod
`* Re: Strange sound system proem...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
 `* Re: Strange sound system proemMajorLanGod
  `* Re: Strange sound system proem...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
   `* Re: Strange sound system proemMajorLanGod
    +- Re: Strange sound system proemPaul
    +- Re: Strange sound system proem...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
    `- Re: Strange sound system proemMajorLanGod

1
Strange sound system proem

<XnsB103A48593B77lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77787&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77787

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Strange sound system proem
From: lonelydad58@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 22:10:24 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 22:10 UTC

Acer Aspire 5 laptop with Klipsh PM2.1 BT extrmal speker.

Could not get any sound today. No internal speaker, no powered speaker out
of headphone jack, no Bluetooth sound.

I rebooted. Since there was an update pending I had to suffer through that
as well. Mirosoft lies - the simple 6 minute update took 22 minutes not
counting restarting Windows.

Sound now works just fine.
?????

Re: Strange sound system proem

<uos6r6$20ekb$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77789&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77789

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Strange sound system proem
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:35:02 -0500
 by: Big Al - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 23:35 UTC

On 1/24/24 05:10 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
> Acer Aspire 5 laptop with Klipsh PM2.1 BT extrmal speker.
>
> Could not get any sound today. No internal speaker, no powered speaker out
> of headphone jack, no Bluetooth sound.
>
> I rebooted. Since there was an update pending I had to suffer through that
> as well. Mirosoft lies - the simple 6 minute update took 22 minutes not
> counting restarting Windows.
>
> Sound now works just fine.
> ?????
Can you find in the history what the KB # was and look it up to see what
came with it.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Strange sound system proem

<1cpprt9uwptw4$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77790&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77790

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:10:01 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 00:10 UTC

MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote:

> Acer Aspire 5 laptop with Klipsh PM2.1 BT extrmal speker.
>
> Could not get any sound today. No internal speaker, no powered speaker
> out of headphone jack, no Bluetooth sound.
>
> I rebooted. Since there was an update pending I had to suffer through
> that as well. Mirosoft lies - the simple 6 minute update took 22
> minutes not counting restarting Windows. Sound now works just fine.

If the updates affect audio, and since updates often replace existing
files, and since some existing files are in use (locked), a reboot is
needed to replace those files, especially system files. During boot, a
PendingFileRenameOperations registry entry allows moving, renaming,
deleting, and copying files before they get locked.

https://qtechbabble.wordpress.com/2020/06/26/use-pendingfilerenameoperations-registry-key-to-automatically-delete-a-file-on-reboot/

During update, you can end up with a mix of incompatible files which is
corrected on a reboot to do the file replaces. Even if an update does
not declare a reboot is required, plan to do one, anyway. After an
update, but before reboot, the fileset state may be in limbo.

There are some utilities to let you rename or delete files that are
locked by adding them to the PendingFileRenameOperations registry key,
and the action gets committed on the next boot of Windows. I happen to
use LockHunter, but there are similar tools to handle locked files. If
it cannot immediately unlock the file, or kill the process with a handle
on it, it offers to add an entry in the registry to do the rename,
delete, move, copy operation on a Windows reboot.

Re: Strange sound system proem

<uoslt1$262n1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77791&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77791

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 22:51:59 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 03:51 UTC

On 1/24/2024 5:10 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
> Acer Aspire 5 laptop with Klipsh PM2.1 BT extrmal speker.
>
> Could not get any sound today. No internal speaker, no powered speaker out
> of headphone jack, no Bluetooth sound.
>
> I rebooted. Since there was an update pending I had to suffer through that
> as well. Mirosoft lies - the simple 6 minute update took 22 minutes not
> counting restarting Windows.
>
> Sound now works just fine.
> ?????

Pending updates cause all sorts of symptoms.

"When in doubt, reboot" Confucius.

I don't think Microsoft really times this stuff, do you ? :-)

Paul

Re: Strange sound system proem

<XnsB103E44F69ADlonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77792&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77792

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelydad58@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 04:26:38 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 04:26 UTC

MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote in

> Acer Aspire 5 laptop with Klipsh PM2.1 BT extrmal speker.
>
> Could not get any sound today. No internal speaker, no powered speaker
> out of headphone jack, no Bluetooth sound.
>
> I rebooted. Since there was an update pending I had to suffer through
> that as well. Mirosoft lies - the simple 6 minute update took 22
> minutes not counting restarting Windows.
>
> Sound now works just fine.
> ?????
Thnks for the thoughts on the possible file issue. That sounds like
something that would produce the symptoms I saw. There is no other way I
can think of that would take out Bluetooth, internl and headphone sound.
And rebooting definitely fixed it.

Re: Strange sound system proem

<uot71t$284gu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77793&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77793

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 01:44:43 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 08:44 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote on 1/24/24 3:10 PM:
> Acer Aspire 5 laptop with Klipsh PM2.1 BT extrmal speker.
>
> Could not get any sound today. No internal speaker, no powered speaker out
> of headphone jack, no Bluetooth sound.
>
> I rebooted. Since there was an update pending I had to suffer through that
> as well. Mirosoft lies - the simple 6 minute update took 22 minutes not
> counting restarting Windows.
>
> Sound now works just fine.
> ?????

Your symptom(no external sound) with a pending update(installed and
waiting for a restart) iirc has been reported a few times and primarily
on Win8x and Win10...Rare but reported.

Just as likely in the low report arena...the drivers failed to load
properly and likely before the update was ever downloaded and before
installation.

In both cases, rebooting is usually the path to the resolution.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Strange sound system proem

<XnsB104D8FA2FA58lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77795&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77795

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelydad58@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 03:19:46 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 03:19 UTC

=?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqTDsSA=?= <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in

> MajorLanGod wrote on 1/24/24 3:10 PM:
>> Acer Aspire 5 laptop with Klipsh PM2.1 BT extrmal speker.
>>
>> Could not get any sound today. No internal speaker, no powered
>> speaker out of headphone jack, no Bluetooth sound.
>>
>> I rebooted. Since there was an update pending I had to suffer through
>> that as well. Mirosoft lies - the simple 6 minute update took 22
>> minutes not counting restarting Windows.
>>
>> Sound now works just fine.
>> ?????
>>

> Just as likely in the low report arena...the drivers failed to load
> properly and likely before the update was ever downloaded and before
> installation.
>
> In both cases, rebooting is usually the path to the resolution.

I doubt that is it as I never shut down my system and the sound had been
working the last time I used the laptop - I listen to a local radio
station over the net.

Re: Strange sound system proem

<up0cpi$2rgvo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77798&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77798

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 06:41:04 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:41 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote on 1/25/24 8:19 PM:
> =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqTDsSA=?= <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> MajorLanGod wrote on 1/24/24 3:10 PM:
>>> Acer Aspire 5 laptop with Klipsh PM2.1 BT extrmal speker.
>>>
>>> Could not get any sound today. No internal speaker, no powered
>>> speaker out of headphone jack, no Bluetooth sound.
>>>
>>> I rebooted. Since there was an update pending I had to suffer through
>>> that as well. Mirosoft lies - the simple 6 minute update took 22
>>> minutes not counting restarting Windows.
>>>
>>> Sound now works just fine.
>>> ?????
>>>

>> Just as likely in the low report arena...the drivers failed to load
>> properly and likely before the update was ever downloaded and before
>> installation.
>>
>> In both cases, rebooting is usually the path to the resolution.
>>
> I doubt that is it as I never shut down my system and the sound had been
> working the last time I used the laptop - I listen to a local radio
> station over the net.

It's doubtful the latest or last few Windows updates provided new or
updated drivers for sound(but possible, even more rare.

The latest Win10 update for 22H2 did not have code for disabling and/or
updating sound drivers.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Strange sound system proem

<XnsB105DAA5FC518lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77803&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77803

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelydad58@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 03:29:37 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 03:29 UTC

> It's doubtful the latest or last few Windows updates provided new or
> updated drivers for sound(but possible, even more rare.
>
> The latest Win10 update for 22H2 did not have code for disabling and/or
> updating sound drivers.

Actually I am on Win11 23H2 but haven't able to find that group yet

Re: Strange sound system proem

<up1u7f$387q8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77804&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77804

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:44:46 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 03:44 UTC

On 1/26/2024 10:29 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:

>> It's doubtful the latest or last few Windows updates provided new or
>> updated drivers for sound(but possible, even more rare.
>>
>> The latest Win10 update for 22H2 did not have code for disabling and/or
>> updating sound drivers.
>>
> Actually I am on Win11 23H2 but haven't able to find that group yet

alt.comp.os.windows-10
alt.comp.os.windows-11 <===

21H2 Sun Valley 22000 October 4, 2021
22H2 Sun Valley 2 22621 September 20, 2022
23H2 Sun Valley 3 22631 October 31, 2023

Paul

Re: Strange sound system proem

<up2jn2$3b4te$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77805&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77805

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 02:51:29 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:51 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote on 1/26/24 8:29 PM:

>> It's doubtful the latest or last few Windows updates provided new or
>> updated drivers for sound(but possible, even more rare.
>>
>> The latest Win10 update for 22H2 did not have code for disabling and/or
>> updating sound drivers.
>>
> Actually I am on Win11 23H2 but haven't able to find that group yet

:)
Anything's possible in Windows but updates causing sound issues is pretty
rare.
The last one I had was some time ago and on Windeows 11...the headphone
outlet port whenever my Logitech C920 Web Camera was attached only had
sound in one channel, disconnect the headphone, laptop speakers had sound
in both rt/left channlels - restarted, same issue
- Disabled the web cam in Device Manager
- Disconnected and reconnected the camera
- Refreshed Device Manager(Scan for Hardware changes)
- Same driver installed
Surprise - sound in both channels (speakers and headphone)

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Strange sound system proem

<XnsB1067700567D6lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77813&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77813

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelydad58@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 17:41:53 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 17:41 UTC

>> It's doubtful the latest or last few Windows updates provided new or
>> updated drivers for sound(but possible, even more rare.
>>
>> The latest Win10 update for 22H2 did not have code for disabling and/or
>> updating sound drivers.
>>
> Actually I am on Win11 23H2 but haven't able to find that group yet

Found it