From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Why one needs a dVD drive in his laptop after all, haha.
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 06:34:09 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:34 UTC

VanguardLH wrote on 1/25/24 8:59 AM:

> You're transferring a cover from old to new WHAT? Between laptops?
> Disassembling a laptop is a hell of lot more work than of a desktop.
> And moving a USB-attached optical drive is even far more easy than
> opening laptops to swap optical drives. I have an optical drive in my
> laptop. Much easier to plug in a USB one should the internal one break.
>
> Or does "cover" mean the faceplate on the desktop tower? Again, the
> comparison was showing the greater difficulty of replacing a broken
> optical drive in a laptop versus in a desktop. For my next laptop, I
> would NOT get an internal optical drive. I'd stow a USB-attached one in
> the laptop's tote bag. I wouldn't limit my candidates for purchase to
> only those with internal optical drives. If the price were the same
> between with and without optical drive, yeah, I'd get internal.

At one time, the hardware for for CD or DVD or even an HD was an
insertable assembly in a laptop
The insertable assembly could be multiple pieces.
- a two sided module - one connected to a port, the other the tray that
slides in an out
- attached to the module, a removable sub-assembly(caddy)connected to
the tray(screw, snapped)
- the hardware to accommodate holding a disc or hd(connected to the
caddy screw)

Not sure what this question or thread has to do with autos.tech or
home.repair(groups removed from this reply)

--