Do molecular biologists wear designer genes?

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

SubjectAuthor
* Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenmicky
+* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenEd Cryer
|`* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenmicky
| `* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenEd Cryer
|  `* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenmicky
|   `- Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenEd Cryer
+* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenAndy Burns
|+- Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenmicky
|`* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenSten deJoode
| `* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenmicky
|  `* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenEd Cryer
|   `- Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenmicky
`* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenPeter Johnson
 +* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenAndy Burns
 |+* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenAndy Burns
 ||`- Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenEd Cryer
 |`* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenmicky
 | +* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenChar Jackson
 | |`* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenPaul
 | | `- Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenmicky
 | `* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenAndy Burns
 |  `* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenmicky
 |   `* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenAndy Burns
 |    `- Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenmicky
 `* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenmicky
  `* Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenAndy Burns
   `- Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screenmicky

Pages:12
Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<99jbripr7a5q5n2j1p0jo5tv84v2ln1cla@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77825&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77825

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 22:46:50 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 03:46 UTC

Is there a program or something that will keep the cursor away from the
edge of the screen?

I have a desktop and laptop that I've started to run at the same time,
all the time, and someone here suggested Synergy. When it works it's
very good, but frequently the cursor gets trapped in one monitor or the
other.

When it's the monitor without a keyboard, I can't do too much. When
it's other one, I can't do some of the things I want.

This is bad enough when I intentionally go to the other monitor, but
often I move the cursor to, say, the vertical scroll bar, and I go too
far and it easily goes to the other monitor and then wno't go back. It
can easily take 5 minutes, or more, to get it back.

So maybe there is a fence I could turn on and off??

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<up5er6$3tdev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77832&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77832

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 11:45:40 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 11:45 UTC

micky wrote:
> Is there a program or something that will keep the cursor away from the
> edge of the screen?
>
> I have a desktop and laptop that I've started to run at the same time,
> all the time, and someone here suggested Synergy. When it works it's
> very good, but frequently the cursor gets trapped in one monitor or the
> other.
>
> When it's the monitor without a keyboard, I can't do too much. When
> it's other one, I can't do some of the things I want.
>
> This is bad enough when I intentionally go to the other monitor, but
> often I move the cursor to, say, the vertical scroll bar, and I go too
> far and it easily goes to the other monitor and then wno't go back. It
> can easily take 5 minutes, or more, to get it back.
>
> So maybe there is a fence I could turn on and off??

I use dual monitors under Win10. I find that the native display settings
handle the two well enough, and the cursor runs smoothly between them.

If it doesn't work for you try:
https://www.displayfusion.com/Download/

Ed

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<l1n1eaFg97iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77834&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77834

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:59:54 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:59 UTC

micky wrote:

> Is there a program or something that will keep the cursor away from the
> edge of the screen?

How would that work if there was something you wanted to click near the
edge?

> I have a desktop and laptop that I've started to run at the same time,
> all the time, and someone here suggested Synergy. When it works it's
> very good, but frequently the cursor gets trapped in one monitor or the
> other.

Add a keyboard shortcut to "jump" to each screen?

<https://symless.com/synergy/help/add-a-hotkey-or-keyboard-shortcut-to-change-to-different-screens>

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<43mcri1k0604rjurtihf60sq6ve18cf4ua@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77836&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77836

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 13:39:30 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 13:39 UTC

On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 22:46:50 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>Is there a program or something that will keep the cursor away from the
>edge of the screen?
>
>I have a desktop and laptop that I've started to run at the same time,
>all the time, and someone here suggested Synergy. When it works it's
>very good, but frequently the cursor gets trapped in one monitor or the
>other.
>
>When it's the monitor without a keyboard, I can't do too much. When
>it's other one, I can't do some of the things I want.
>
>This is bad enough when I intentionally go to the other monitor, but
>often I move the cursor to, say, the vertical scroll bar, and I go too
>far and it easily goes to the other monitor and then wno't go back. It
>can easily take 5 minutes, or more, to get it back.
>
>So maybe there is a fence I could turn on and off??

I don'y know if this will do what you want, but try a right click on
the PC screen and select Display settings.
If both screens are shown make sure 'Ease cursor movement between
displays' is not selected.

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<l1n6g3Fh4toU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77838&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77838

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 14:26:10 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 14:26 UTC

Peter Johnson wrote:

> I don'y know if this will do what you want, but try a right click on
> the PC screen and select Display settings.
> If both screens are shown make sure 'Ease cursor movement between
> displays' is not selected.

I almost fell into the trap of thinking micky was using "normal"
multi-monitor setup, and might need to adjust their relative positions
in the GUI, but I presume with Synergy, that windows is blissfully of
the second monitor?

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<l1n734Fh4toU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77839&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77839

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 14:36:19 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 14:36 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> I presume with Synergy, that windows is blissfully
^^^
unaware
> of the second monitor?

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<up61d0$ssv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77842&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77842

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 17:03:15 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 17:03 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I presume with Synergy, that windows is blissfully
>                                                     ^^^
>                                                  unaware
>> of the second monitor?

He's probably using some KVM switch, and forgot to mention it.
Ed

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<pj9driptieaofl3ks7ro62nhr3f18mhnia@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77851&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77851

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 16:02:06 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 21:02 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 28 Jan 2024 14:26:10 +0000, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>Peter Johnson wrote:
>
>> I don'y know if this will do what you want, but try a right click on
>> the PC screen and select Display settings.
>> If both screens are shown make sure 'Ease cursor movement between
>> displays' is not selected.
>
>I almost fell into the trap of thinking micky was using "normal"

Are you suggesting there is a normal multi-monitor set up that doesn't
require added software? It wouldn't be the first time people were sold
something they didn't need just for a couple extra unneeded features.

>multi-monitor setup, and might need to adjust their relative positions
>in the GUI, but I presume with Synergy, that windows is blissfully of
>the second monitor?

If extra software is indeed needed, right now, I've almost given up on
Synergy**. But I find there are a lot of other suggestions at
https://en.softonic.com/top/virtual-kvm-software .

I just want to use one mouse and one keyboard to control 2 computers
each with its own monitor. Sharing sound might be nice but so far is
unimportant: Maybe some day 3 computers.

Anyone have any feelings or info, pro or con, about any of these 6?

across

Multiplicity

Input Director

Barrier

Win2VNC

Share Mouse

Mouse Without Borders -- free from MS. Tried it first, didn't work well
on my setup but continues to start in one of my computers and using
Anvir Task Manager, I still can't find what is starting it. Anvir has a
startup section and it's not listed. ;-(

Synergy. Works well when it works, but that's only about half the time.
And their support I find to be non-supporting in many ways, and helpful
not at all. Details on request.

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<3qderi1ggfd43qah8kshqjgpn83f94ukpr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77854&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77854

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 00:02:27 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 06:02 UTC

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 16:02:06 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>I just want to use one mouse and one keyboard to control 2 computers
>each with its own monitor. Sharing sound might be nice but so far is
>unimportant: Maybe some day 3 computers.

It's an ideal use case for virtual machines, but I know you don't want to do
that. I forgot why, but that's OK. You'd be able to use one mouse and one
keyboard to control 2 computers, each with its own display.

I currently have about 175 virtual machines, but the number varies from week to
week. I tend to run 4-6 at any given time, but sometimes I need to run more than
20 to simulate a customer network. Your requirement to run just 2 or 3 would be
easy peasy.

When I run 2 VMs, each gets its own fullscreen display. When I run more than 2
VMs, the second display becomes shared.

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<up7rep$dbv9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77855&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77855

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 04:34:16 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 09:34 UTC

On 1/29/2024 1:02 AM, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 16:02:06 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I just want to use one mouse and one keyboard to control 2 computers
>> each with its own monitor. Sharing sound might be nice but so far is
>> unimportant: Maybe some day 3 computers.
>
> It's an ideal use case for virtual machines, but I know you don't want to do
> that. I forgot why, but that's OK. You'd be able to use one mouse and one
> keyboard to control 2 computers, each with its own display.
>
> I currently have about 175 virtual machines, but the number varies from week to
> week. I tend to run 4-6 at any given time, but sometimes I need to run more than
> 20 to simulate a customer network. Your requirement to run just 2 or 3 would be
> easy peasy.
>
> When I run 2 VMs, each gets its own fullscreen display. When I run more than 2
> VMs, the second display becomes shared.

And whatever you do, Micky, take plenty of pictures of your adventures.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/8PHDnt2b/XEyes-on-Windows11.gif

Windows is boring without fun projects.

You know, Skybuck a few days ago, did a P2V on what I assume
is his Win7 disk, and is presumably trying to run it in a VM.
He said something about a 2TB disk that he's pulling into a VM.
I would never try anything that big, because it takes too long
to do maintenance on something that large. My containers
are more like 20GB a piece.

[Picture] Disk speed in VMs, varies a lot

https://imgur.com/7DmVbfW

Paul

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<l1pct8FsjmtU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77856&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77856

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 10:27:45 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 10:27 UTC

micky wrote:

> Are you suggesting there is a normal multi-monitor set up that doesn't
> require added software? It wouldn't be the first time people were sold
> something they didn't need just for a couple extra unneeded features.

Yes, providing all monitors are connected to the same computer ...

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<3rcfri1bbn4oqpub8gtiiu6jjh7aha92fv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77858&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77858

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 09:37:38 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:37 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 04:34:16 -0500, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 1/29/2024 1:02 AM, Char Jackson wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 16:02:06 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I just want to use one mouse and one keyboard to control 2 computers
>>> each with its own monitor. Sharing sound might be nice but so far is
>>> unimportant: Maybe some day 3 computers.
>>
>> It's an ideal use case for virtual machines, but I know you don't want to do
>> that. I forgot why, but that's OK. You'd be able to use one mouse and one
>> keyboard to control 2 computers, each with its own display.

I see. VM. You're right, there is some reason I don't want to do that
(Extra thinking required. Not in the mood to think.), but if I can't get
one of the add-on softwares to do what I want, I'll seriously consider
VM. Thanks for explaining.

>> I currently have about 175 virtual machines, but the number varies from week to
>> week. I tend to run 4-6 at any given time, but sometimes I need to run more than
>> 20 to simulate a customer network. Your requirement to run just 2 or 3 would be
>> easy peasy.
>>
>> When I run 2 VMs, each gets its own fullscreen display. When I run more than 2
>> VMs, the second display becomes shared.
>>

>And whatever you do, Micky, take plenty of pictures of your adventures.

I did take quite a few pictues in Guatamala (just returned Friday night
from 3 weeks). I hope to put them on Instagram, but who knows if I
really will. If I do, I'll post the link here.

If earlier I said that Guatemala was dangerous, I retract that. There
are, I'm told, pickpockets at crowded tourist spots, and probably some
muggings near bars late at night, but none of the places I went were
likely to have any of that, and certainly no one bothered me. 10 years
ago there was a noticeable "crime wave", and once the Department of
State notices such things, it's hard for the DOS to erase them. It
probably helped that I rented a car and didn't take crowded buses. I
drove 1200 miles in 21 days, stayed in 9 hotels, ranging from $23/night
to iirc $70 for the fanciest**, but all were very clean, had their own
bathroom and a thin screen tv with remote. Two had swimming pools.

**The room was pretty much the same but the grounds were beautiful.
The car was expensive, largely because of the insurance, and the
insurance was high, I presume, because traffic is terrible, the roads
are crowded, people have to cut in or they will never get in, and
several cars came, it seemed, within an inch of me, so that means there
are a lot of collisions and so insurance is high. But I was attentive
and so were the other drivers, and I actually didn't put a scratch on
the car. The car rental was about $1400, bigger than any other cost,
but from my pov, well worth it.
Spirit Airlines starts off cheap but then charges extra for
everything, including having a carry-on or changing the reservation.

> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/8PHDnt2b/XEyes-on-Windows11.gif
>
>Windows is boring without fun projects.
>
>You know, Skybuck a few days ago, did a P2V on what I assume
>is his Win7 disk, and is presumably trying to run it in a VM.
>He said something about a 2TB disk that he's pulling into a VM.
>I would never try anything that big, because it takes too long
>to do maintenance on something that large. My containers
>are more like 20GB a piece.
>
> [Picture] Disk speed in VMs, varies a lot
>
> https://imgur.com/7DmVbfW
>
> Paul

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<r3tfridv500naj0old90esl6v6a0nrr8ab@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77860&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77860

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 13:56:11 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 18:56 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 10:27:45 +0000, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> Are you suggesting there is a normal multi-monitor set up that doesn't
>> require added software? It wouldn't be the first time people were sold
>> something they didn't need just for a couple extra unneeded features.
>
>Yes, providing all monitors are connected to the same computer ...

Ah, that I don't have. I was thinking about doing it, but now I have two
computers and no more room for monitors. :-) Unless I got some
special bracket to put one above the other, haha.

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<t6tfripvje9d31isriahr9rvbg5utpba64@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77861&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77861

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:00:32 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:00 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 28 Jan 2024 11:45:40 +0000, Ed Cryer
<ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>> Is there a program or something that will keep the cursor away from the
>> edge of the screen?
>>
>> I have a desktop and laptop that I've started to run at the same time,
>> all the time, and someone here suggested Synergy. When it works it's
>> very good, but frequently the cursor gets trapped in one monitor or the
>> other.
>>
>> When it's the monitor without a keyboard, I can't do too much. When
>> it's other one, I can't do some of the things I want.
>>
>> This is bad enough when I intentionally go to the other monitor, but
>> often I move the cursor to, say, the vertical scroll bar, and I go too
>> far and it easily goes to the other monitor and then wno't go back. It
>> can easily take 5 minutes, or more, to get it back.
>>
>> So maybe there is a fence I could turn on and off??
>
>I use dual monitors under Win10. I find that the native display settings
>handle the two well enough, and the cursor runs smoothly between them.
>
>If it doesn't work for you try:
>https://www.displayfusion.com/Download/

I installed this and unlike Mouse without Borders and Synergy, neither
computer knew about the other computer's monitor. I'm still trying to
understand the install instructions. I've added the other monitor to
each Settings screen, but until it decides that they are on the same
network, it's not going to let themshare a mouse, and it doesn't seem to
know anything about my local network. I'll keep trying and, no
promises, let you know.

>Ed

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<letfri5k1oci57ttndd097omvdhq4d0vdn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77862&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77862

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:04:58 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:04 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:59:54 +0000, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> Is there a program or something that will keep the cursor away from the
>> edge of the screen?
>
>How would that work if there was something you wanted to click near the
>edge?

I figure the people who write this stuff are smarter than I am. Or, it
would let me get quite close to the edge, but stop me 2 pixels from it,
and anything I need would be 3 pixels or more away from t he edge.

Using Synergy, my cursor has often gotten trapped in one monitor or the
other. None of their Reconnecting or Troubleshooting is any help 95% of
the time, so I just use the mouse to bang the cursor against edge of the
monitor screen. Often this works in under 10 tries but I've slammed it
over 40 times with no success.

>> I have a desktop and laptop that I've started to run at the same time,
>> all the time, and someone here suggested Synergy. When it works it's
>> very good, but frequently the cursor gets trapped in one monitor or the
>> other.
>
>Add a keyboard shortcut to "jump" to each screen?
>
><https://symless.com/synergy/help/add-a-hotkey-or-keyboard-shortcut-to-change-to-different-screens>

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<l1qch3F3704U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77865&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77865

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:27:33 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:27 UTC

micky wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>
>>> Are you suggesting there is a normal multi-monitor set up that doesn't
>>> require added software?
>>
>> Yes, providing all monitors are connected to the same computer ...
>
> Ah, that I don't have. I was thinking about doing it, but now I have two
> computers and no more room for monitors.

If both monitors were both connected to one computer, you could run a
full-screen remote session to the other computer, but only you know what
would work for you ...

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<p2ufrip7dk00fl25veke7o38secl36f2at@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77866&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77866

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:28:45 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:28 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 28 Jan 2024 13:39:30 +0000, Peter
Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 22:46:50 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Is there a program or something that will keep the cursor away from the
>>edge of the screen?
>>
>>I have a desktop and laptop that I've started to run at the same time,
>>all the time, and someone here suggested Synergy. When it works it's
>>very good, but frequently the cursor gets trapped in one monitor or the
>>other.
>>
>>When it's the monitor without a keyboard, I can't do too much. When
>>it's other one, I can't do some of the things I want.
>>
>>This is bad enough when I intentionally go to the other monitor, but
>>often I move the cursor to, say, the vertical scroll bar, and I go too
>>far and it easily goes to the other monitor and then wno't go back. It
>>can easily take 5 minutes, or more, to get it back.
>>
>>So maybe there is a fence I could turn on and off??
>
>I don'y know if this will do what you want, but try a right click on
>the PC screen and select Display settings.
>If both screens are shown make sure 'Ease cursor movement between
>displays' is not selected.

https://softkeys.uk/blogs/blog/how-to-move-mouse-between-two-monitors-windows-10
says just what you say, but when I get to that setting screen, there is
a section called Multiple Displays, but nothing about "Ease cursor
movement between displays", not on either computer, both win10, the
laptop win10 home, and the desktop win10 pro ((but not been fully
updated for almost 2 years)).

The page looks the same on the two computers, and each has a Detect
button, but clicking "didn't detect another display". Maybe this refers
to more than one display connected to the same PC? (Or maybe there is
something wrong with my local network, because DisplayFusion hasn't
found other monitors either.)

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<l1qcq8F378sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77867&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77867

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:32:25 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:32 UTC

micky wrote:

> when I get to that setting screen, there is a section called Multiple
> Displays, but nothing about "Ease cursor movement between displays",
> not on either computer

Because each computer only has one monitor, there's nothing to ease ...

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<up92lo$k2u3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77871&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77871

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:43:03 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:43 UTC

micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 28 Jan 2024 11:45:40 +0000, Ed Cryer
> <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>> Is there a program or something that will keep the cursor away from the
>>> edge of the screen?
>>>
>>> I have a desktop and laptop that I've started to run at the same time,
>>> all the time, and someone here suggested Synergy. When it works it's
>>> very good, but frequently the cursor gets trapped in one monitor or the
>>> other.
>>>
>>> When it's the monitor without a keyboard, I can't do too much. When
>>> it's other one, I can't do some of the things I want.
>>>
>>> This is bad enough when I intentionally go to the other monitor, but
>>> often I move the cursor to, say, the vertical scroll bar, and I go too
>>> far and it easily goes to the other monitor and then wno't go back. It
>>> can easily take 5 minutes, or more, to get it back.
>>>
>>> So maybe there is a fence I could turn on and off??
>>
>> I use dual monitors under Win10. I find that the native display settings
>> handle the two well enough, and the cursor runs smoothly between them.
>>
>> If it doesn't work for you try:
>> https://www.displayfusion.com/Download/
>
> I installed this and unlike Mouse without Borders and Synergy, neither
> computer knew about the other computer's monitor. I'm still trying to
> understand the install instructions. I've added the other monitor to
> each Settings screen, but until it decides that they are on the same
> network, it's not going to let themshare a mouse, and it doesn't seem to
> know anything about my local network. I'll keep trying and, no
> promises, let you know.
>>
>> Ed

That requires two HDMI outlets plugged into one monitor.
What are you trying to do?
You seem to be attempting virtual monitoring by wireless; two
independent Windows boxes with mutual switchable screens.

Sounds ambitious, but laborious. And it's led you into trying to bypass
its failings with other software.

Step back and think where you're being led. And then re-examine the
original problem.

Ed

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<gjggripq41sdkv0c7afmrmg8j0mkbkphog@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77875&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77875

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:27:56 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 00:27 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:32:25 +0000, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> when I get to that setting screen, there is a section called Multiple
>> Displays, but nothing about "Ease cursor movement between displays",
>> not on either computer
>
>Because each computer only has one monitor, there's nothing to ease ...

Okay. It was worth a try anyhow.

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<rnjgri93dn414hhl92k17dgqpr94sbmcgc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77886&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77886

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:35:47 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 01:35 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:43:03 +0000, Ed Cryer
<ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 28 Jan 2024 11:45:40 +0000, Ed Cryer
>> <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

>>> I use dual monitors under Win10. I find that the native display settings
>>> handle the two well enough, and the cursor runs smoothly between them.
>>>
>>> If it doesn't work for you try:
>>> https://www.displayfusion.com/Download/
>>
>> I installed this and unlike Mouse without Borders and Synergy, neither
>> computer knew about the other computer's monitor. I'm still trying to
>> understand the install instructions. I've added the other monitor to
>> each Settings screen, but until it decides that they are on the same
>> network, it's not going to let themshare a mouse, and it doesn't seem to
>> know anything about my local network. I'll keep trying and, no
>> promises, let you know.
>>>
>>> Ed
>
>That requires two HDMI outlets plugged into one monitor.

I certainly don't have that. Only one laptop with a built-in monitor
and a simple Dell monitor.

>What are you trying to do?

I have a laptop and a desktop, both using data from the same router, and
I'm trying to use only one mouse and one keyboard for both.

A software version of a KM switch. It would be nice to share the same
clipboard, so I could copy from one monitor and paste to the other.

>You seem to be attempting virtual monitoring by wireless; two

Not sure if that's the same thing or not.

>independent Windows boxes with mutual switchable screens.

Not sure what mutual switchable would be.

>Sounds ambitious, but laborious. And it's led you into trying to bypass
>its failings with other software.
>
>Step back and think where you're being led. And then re-examine the
>original problem.

Synergy worked well when it worked, but that was only about 1/2 the
time. The cursor kept getting stuck in one screen or another.

Mouse without borders worked somewhat. I forget the details.

Display Fusion seems so complicated.

There is also
across
Multiplicity
Input Director
Barrier
Win2VNC and
Share Mouse

But I have not tried any of them yet.

>Ed

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<3kkgrit73nljs8j9qhg6p47sggu3297fl6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77887&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77887

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:36:52 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 01:36 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:27:33 +0000, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:

>>> Yes, providing all monitors are connected to the same computer ...
>>
>> Ah, that I don't have. I was thinking about doing it, but now I have two
>> computers and no more room for monitors.
>
>If both monitors were both connected to one computer, you could run a
>full-screen remote session to the other computer, but only you know what
>would work for you ...

The goal is to use both computers at the same time, and maybe a third at
the same time as the first two some day in the distant future.

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<upank1$vf0g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77895&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77895

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:46:54 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:46 UTC

micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:43:03 +0000, Ed Cryer
> <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:

>>> I installed this and unlike Mouse without Borders and Synergy, neither
>>> computer knew about the other computer's monitor. I'm still trying to
>>> understand the install instructions. I've added the other monitor to
>>> each Settings screen, but until it decides that they are on the same
>>> network, it's not going to let themshare a mouse, and it doesn't seem to
>>> know anything about my local network. I'll keep trying and, no
>>> promises, let you know.

>> That requires two HDMI outlets plugged into one monitor.
>
> I certainly don't have that. Only one laptop with a built-in monitor
> and a simple Dell monitor.
>
>> What are you trying to do?
>
> I have a laptop and a desktop, both using data from the same router, and
> I'm trying to use only one mouse and one keyboard for both.
>
> A software version of a KM switch. It would be nice to share the same
> clipboard, so I could copy from one monitor and paste to the other.
>
>> You seem to be attempting virtual monitoring by wireless; two
>
> Not sure if that's the same thing or not.
>
>> independent Windows boxes with mutual switchable screens.
>
> Not sure what mutual switchable would be.
>
>> Sounds ambitious, but laborious. And it's led you into trying to bypass
>> its failings with other software.
>>
>> Step back and think where you're being led. And then re-examine the
>> original problem.
>
> Synergy worked well when it worked, but that was only about 1/2 the
> time. The cursor kept getting stuck in one screen or another.
>
> Mouse without borders worked somewhat. I forget the details.
>
> Display Fusion seems so complicated.
>
> There is also
> across
> Multiplicity
> Input Director
> Barrier
> Win2VNC and
> Share Mouse
>
> But I have not tried any of them yet.
>
>> Ed

Try ShareMouse first. I hear good things about it.

Ed

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<upfd77$o895$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77945&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77945

From: StendeJood@nospam.net (Sten deJoode)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 01:20:23 -0500
 by: Sten deJoode - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 06:20 UTC

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:59:54 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> How would that work if there was something you wanted to click near the
> edge?

I set up dual monitors long ago but there are two switches I remember
setting so that the taskbar didn't move & windows didn't jump around.

One is to disable snap to window boundaries using Windows+I key settings.
Win+I > Settings > System > Multitasking > Snap windows = off

That turns off all three actions
1. When I snap a windows, automatically size it to fill available space
2. When I snap a window, show what I can snap next to it
3. When I resize a snapped window, simultaneously resize any adjacent
snapped window

I forget what that second thing was though.

Re: Keep the cursor away from the edge of the screen

<s9inrit745ab9cmcirj8a8dt904c2c9g7t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77953&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77953

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 11:41:05 -0500
 by: micky - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 16:41 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 1 Feb 2024 01:20:23 -0500, Sten
deJoode <StendeJood@nospam.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:59:54 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> How would that work if there was something you wanted to click near the
>> edge?
>
>I set up dual monitors long ago but there are two switches I remember
>setting so that the taskbar didn't move & windows didn't jump around.
>
>One is to disable snap to window boundaries using Windows+I key settings.
>Win+I > Settings > System > Multitasking > Snap windows = off
>
>That turns off all three actions
>1. When I snap a windows, automatically size it to fill available space
>2. When I snap a window, show what I can snap next to it
>3. When I resize a snapped window, simultaneously resize any adjacent
> snapped window

Thanks. Several of the software programs I looked at mentioned
snapping interference, but I still didn't know what snapping was or how
to turn it off. You've explained all that.

>I forget what that second thing was though.

That's okay. I can't have everything.