From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: W becomes ', ' becomes ,
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:48:41 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 00:48 UTC

Another question!

In the last few days there have been three occasions, using Agent,
Eudora, and Notepad++, when I typed a w and got a ' and typed a ' and
got a ,

In the first case I just posted it the way it was, but when I noticed it
in Eudora, I went to Notepad++, planning to write the same thing and
copy it to Eudora. But there too it did not work.

I have Autohotkey and use it reassign 3 keys pause, and numpad / and *.

Nothing in the script about w or '.

I also have another keyboard, but it wouldn't** make these changes and I
checked and ENG was showing in the systray

**Oh yes it would. I just tried it. So for most of the sentence, it
tyoped in English and for those two letters, it used the other
language!!! Three different times (Althouhg the 3 time was a few
seconds after the first time.)

Re: W becomes ', ' becomes ,

<upao6b$vf0g$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77896&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77896

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: W becomes ', ' becomes ,
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:56:20 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:56 UTC

micky wrote:
> Another question!
>
> In the last few days there have been three occasions, using Agent,
> Eudora, and Notepad++, when I typed a w and got a ' and typed a ' and
> got a ,
>
> In the first case I just posted it the way it was, but when I noticed it
> in Eudora, I went to Notepad++, planning to write the same thing and
> copy it to Eudora. But there too it did not work.
>
> I have Autohotkey and use it reassign 3 keys pause, and numpad / and *.
>
> Nothing in the script about w or '.
>
> I also have another keyboard, but it wouldn't** make these changes and I
> checked and ENG was showing in the systray
>
> **Oh yes it would. I just tried it. So for most of the sentence, it
> tyoped in English and for those two letters, it used the other
> language!!! Three different times (Althouhg the 3 time was a few
> seconds after the first time.)

You seem to use far too many add-ons and plug-ins. They're bound to
conflict with one another, just as multiple AV programs will do.
I stick by a policy of the fewer the better; let native Windows have
free reign without surrounding it with a jungle of alienation.
You might well get an add-on working perfectly, but then along comes the
next Win update and screws it all up. And then you have to spend ages
trying to fathom the cause.

Remember this mantra.
It's the add-on that has to accommodate itself with Windows; not vice versa.

Ed

Re: W becomes ', ' becomes ,

<d09iri542f5f7feliq1c65v3o8rc541149@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77908&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77908

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:34:30 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:34 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:56:20 +0000, Ed Cryer
<ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>> Another question!
>>
>> In the last few days there have been three occasions, using Agent,
>> Eudora, and Notepad++, when I typed a w and got a ' and typed a ' and
>> got a ,
>>
>> In the first case I just posted it the way it was, but when I noticed it
>> in Eudora, I went to Notepad++, planning to write the same thing and
>> copy it to Eudora. But there too it did not work.
>>
>> I have Autohotkey and use it reassign 3 keys pause, and numpad / and *.
>>
>> Nothing in the script about w or '.
>>
>> I also have another keyboard, but it wouldn't** make these changes and I
>> checked and ENG was showing in the systray
>>
>> **Oh yes it would. I just tried it. So for most of the sentence, it
>> typed in English and for those two letters, it used the other
>> language!!! (That is, the other language's keyboard.) Three different times (Althouhg the 3 times were a few
>> seconds after the first time.) (edited from original)
>
>You seem to use far too many add-ons and plug-ins. They're bound to
>conflict with one another, just as multiple AV programs will do.
>I stick by a policy of the fewer the better; let native Windows have
>free reign without surrounding it with a jungle of alienation.
>You might well get an add-on working perfectly, but then along comes the
>next Win update and screws it all up. And then you have to spend ages
>trying to fathom the cause.
>
>Remember this mantra.
>It's the add-on that has to accommodate itself with Windows; not vice versa.
>
>Ed

It's still interesting that this happened. I've had more than one
alphapbet keyboard for more than 10 years on both the laptop and desktop
and it's never happened before, and only those two letters. And it
hasn't happened since.

Re: W becomes ', ' becomes ,

<upbikn$146fo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77916&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77916

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:27:41 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:27 UTC

micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:56:20 +0000, Ed Cryer
> <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>> Another question!
>>>
>>> In the last few days there have been three occasions, using Agent,
>>> Eudora, and Notepad++, when I typed a w and got a ' and typed a ' and
>>> got a ,
>>>
>>> In the first case I just posted it the way it was, but when I noticed it
>>> in Eudora, I went to Notepad++, planning to write the same thing and
>>> copy it to Eudora. But there too it did not work.
>>>
>>> I have Autohotkey and use it reassign 3 keys pause, and numpad / and *.
>>>
>>> Nothing in the script about w or '.
>>>
>>> I also have another keyboard, but it wouldn't** make these changes and I
>>> checked and ENG was showing in the systray
>>>
>>> **Oh yes it would. I just tried it. So for most of the sentence, it
>>> typed in English and for those two letters, it used the other
>>> language!!! (That is, the other language's keyboard.) Three different times (Althouhg the 3 times were a few
>>> seconds after the first time.) (edited from original)
>>
>> You seem to use far too many add-ons and plug-ins. They're bound to
>> conflict with one another, just as multiple AV programs will do.
>> I stick by a policy of the fewer the better; let native Windows have
>> free reign without surrounding it with a jungle of alienation.
>> You might well get an add-on working perfectly, but then along comes the
>> next Win update and screws it all up. And then you have to spend ages
>> trying to fathom the cause.
>>
>> Remember this mantra.
>> It's the add-on that has to accommodate itself with Windows; not vice versa.
>>
>> Ed
>
> It's still interesting that this happened. I've had more than one
> alphapbet keyboard for more than 10 years on both the laptop and desktop
> and it's never happened before, and only those two letters. And it
> hasn't happened since.

Well then, reset your autokey prog.
You're asking us to surpass the skills of Sherlock Holmes. We can't even
inspect the scene of the crime. And there are so many variables
surrounding the crime that only guesswork, prejudice, pure luck and
divine intervention could help here.

There are certain well known and frequently occurring errors under Windows.
1. Folders and files accidentally dragged into another folder.
2. New folder accidentally created
3. Copies accidentally made by a shaking hand.
Et cetera multa.

Add to those this; a Windows update vitiates a third-party program.

Ed

Re: W becomes ', ' becomes ,

<g63jri5kvf5a6b1focgn6kgu7tmks65j8v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77920&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77920

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:01:22 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 00:01 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:27:41 +0000, Ed Cryer
<ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:56:20 +0000, Ed Cryer
>> <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

>>> You seem to use far too many add-ons and plug-ins. They're bound to
>>> conflict with one another, just as multiple AV programs will do.
>>> I stick by a policy of the fewer the better; let native Windows have
>>> free reign without surrounding it with a jungle of alienation.
>>> You might well get an add-on working perfectly, but then along comes the
>>> next Win update and screws it all up. And then you have to spend ages
>>> trying to fathom the cause.
>>>
>>> Remember this mantra.
>>> It's the add-on that has to accommodate itself with Windows; not vice versa.
>>>
>>> Ed
>>
>> It's still interesting that this happened. I've had more than one
>> alphapbet keyboard for more than 10 years on both the laptop and desktop
>> and it's never happened before, and only those two letters. And it
>> hasn't happened since.
>
>Well then, reset your autokey prog.
>You're asking us to surpass the skills of Sherlock Holmes. We can't even

No, no. I'm not asking or expecting you all to solve it. I'm only
telling you about it, so you can add it to your list of strange
phenomena, and mayyybe it will be of help some time in the future if
something similar happens.

That's true of a lot of my reports, especially when I don't ask a
question, and there is not even one question mark in my OP or my second
post in this thread.

>inspect the scene of the crime. And there are so many variables
>surrounding the crime that only guesswork, prejudice, pure luck and
>divine intervention could help here.
>
>There are certain well known and frequently occurring errors under Windows.
>1. Folders and files accidentally dragged into another folder.
>2. New folder accidentally created
>3. Copies accidentally made by a shaking hand.
>Et cetera multa.
>
>Add to those this; a Windows update vitiates a third-party program.
>
>Ed

Re: W becomes ', ' becomes ,

<9g3jri57g8k3n1algnmsaq8dqfgpdoo8ke@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77921&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77921

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:04:12 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 00:04 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:48:41 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>Another question!

Oops, no question marks but I did use the word "question". I think I
meant it was a question in my mind, not one I was asking or expecting
anyone to answer, unless they had had the same thing happen and knew why
it happened to them. This has only happened 3 times in one hour and
unless it keeps happening, I have no chance of finding out why it did,
and it doesn't bother me.