"Why should we subsidize intellectual curiosity?" -- Ronald Reagan

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years

SubjectAuthor
* Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ yearsmicky
+* Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ yearsknuttle
|`- Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ yearsmicky
+* Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ yearsSutya Nadella
|`- Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ yearsmicky
+- Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ yearsPaul
+- Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ yearsmicky
`* Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
 `* Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ yearsmicky
  `* Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
   `* Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ yearsmicky
    `- Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years...w¡ñ§±¤ñ

1
Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years

<o8ufripuv5n797rjt6961shufqiml0a9fi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77864&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77864

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:24:07 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:24 UTC

Paul, because I've been unable to update my desktop box, winPro, for
close to 2 year, you suggested I do a repair install iiuc, but before I
left for vacation, I didn't have time. I think I have time now.

IIRC, I need to dl from somewhere the latest version of winPro, copy it
to a flashdrive (or dvd), and boot from it, and follow the directions.

As in https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/fix-windows-10-repair-install

Is this what you meant, that this should update windows when none of the
other methods would run to completion?

I'm not sure having an old version is causing me problems, but every
time I have a problem, I have to wonder if it's because it's an old
version. I'm still at version 20H2, Build 19042.844 copyright 2020 (my
gosh that's 3 or 4 years ago.)

Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years

<up943c$k7u9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77872&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77872

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 16:07:57 -0500
 by: knuttle - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 21:07 UTC

On 01/29/2024 2:24 PM, micky wrote:
> Paul, because I've been unable to update my desktop box, winPro, for
> close to 2 year, you suggested I do a repair install iiuc, but before I
> left for vacation, I didn't have time. I think I have time now.
>
> IIRC, I need to dl from somewhere the latest version of winPro, copy it
> to a flashdrive (or dvd), and boot from it, and follow the directions.
>
> As in https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/fix-windows-10-repair-install
>
> Is this what you meant, that this should update windows when none of the
> other methods would run to completion?
>

> I'm not sure having an old version is causing me problems, but every
> time I have a problem, I have to wonder if it's because it's an old
> version. I'm still at version 20H2, Build 19042.844 copyright 2020 (my
> gosh that's 3 or 4 years ago.)
Not Paul, but with Windows 10 home you can reinstall Windows and save
the data. From experience it updates the Windows OS, but not
necessarily the individual drivers, which could also be a problem

I would not do as I did return the computer to the factory install,
Unless there is absolutely no other way.

Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years

<up98ru$blm$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77873&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77873

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Sutya Nadella)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:25:21 +0000
 by: Sutya Nadella - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:25 UTC

On 29/01/2024 19:24, micky wrote:

> IIRC, I need to dl from somewhere the latest version of winPro, copy it
> to a flashdrive (or dvd), and boot from it, and follow the directions.

No, that's not the way to upgrade. By upgrade people mean to say that
they want to keep all their personal data and applications. If this is
the case then you need to mount the ISO and run the setup.exe file that
is at the root of the mounted ISO.

I am assuming you know how to mount an ISO file. If not, right-click on
the file and choose "mount". You can't miss the setup.exe file if you
are paying attention on the screen when you are doing all these things.

Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years

<up9i56$mci9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77882&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77882

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:07:48 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 01:07 UTC

On 1/29/2024 2:24 PM, micky wrote:
> Paul, because I've been unable to update my desktop box, winPro, for
> close to 2 year, you suggested I do a repair install iiuc, but before I
> left for vacation, I didn't have time. I think I have time now.
>
> IIRC, I need to dl from somewhere the latest version of winPro, copy it
> to a flashdrive (or dvd), and boot from it, and follow the directions.
>
> As in https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/fix-windows-10-repair-install
>
> Is this what you meant, that this should update windows when none of the
> other methods would run to completion?
>

> I'm not sure having an old version is causing me problems, but every
> time I have a problem, I have to wonder if it's because it's an old
> version. I'm still at version 20H2, Build 19042.844 copyright 2020 (my
> gosh that's 3 or 4 years ago.)

Like Ed in the article says, you will be downloading an ISO9660 file from Microsoft.

It does not need to go on a USB stick or on a dual-layer DVD either.

You can tell MediaCreationTool22H2.exe that you are "making a file for another computer".
You run MediaCreationTool22H2.exe and it makes the media for you.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Linux users or WinXP users, they can't use MediaCreationTool22H2.exe directly,
so they are given a canned ISO9660 file which is a bit larger and will take
a few more minutes to download.

*******

For a "Repair Install", Windows 10 will already be running, like it is
normally.

You right-click the ISO9660 file and the context menu has "Mount"
as the top option. If you have Imgburn loaded, the top option will NOT
be "Mount". In such a case, go to File Explorer and "Open" the ISO9660
file and that will Mount it. That is an alternative way to mount an ISO.

The virtual DVD drive will be given a drive letter, and at the top
level will be Setup.exe . Start Setup.exe and it will re-install
Windows on top of Windows. It will move the old C:\Windows to C:\Windows.old .
It will create a new C:\Windows and install fresh files in it (obviously
the folders can't move while the OS is running, but during the first reboot
there would be an opportunity for shenanigans before the OS comes up).

Driver installation is automated. But, it's a bit picky. The video driver
will not be downloaded automatically, until around the second or third reboot.
The "chipset drivers", which are bogus ones, they might never download.
(Windows 11 might be a bit better at that stuff.) But in any case, once the
video driver is loaded, generally at that point you are operating normally again.

It will do stuff like mess up your advertising settings, so you will have to
disable that stuff again like you did previously.

*******

If you have an Optiplex 780, the built-in graphics are too old for 22H2.
Unless you add a video card to such a machine, the Repair Install will
roll back and not complete. And the stupid thing won't tell you that
the build-in graphics suck. The graphics use an XDDM driver and that is
what is too old. If you repair install such a machine with 21H2 media,
that works OK. Think about how old your computer is, and if the machine
is exceptionally ancient (like that specimen), then expect a slight bit
of trouble.

This is why you keep multiple versions of Windows. In case the install
won't finish and an older version is required.

Don't worry, your machines aren't that old.

Paul

Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years

<ihigridqq1745tub5qt5sbe3m2aj59k9vd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77883&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77883

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:18:47 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 01:18 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:24:07 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>Paul, because I've been unable to update my desktop box, winPro, for
>close to 2 year, you suggested I do a repair install iiuc, but before I
>left for vacation, I didn't have time. I think I have time now.
>
>IIRC, I need to dl from somewhere the latest version of winPro, copy it
>to a flashdrive (or dvd), and boot from it, and follow the directions.
>
>As in https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/fix-windows-10-repair-install

Nevermind the OP, Paul. I read the url above and did what it said.

>Is this what you meant, that this should update windows when none of the
>other methods would run to completion?

Actually, this was easier that some of the methods I tried to catch up
on my win OS updates. I didn't have to have a flashdrive or DVD or
anything.

Either they've made it easier since 3 or 4 years ago when I dl'd and
used the Media Creation Tool, and had to copy the starter OS to a DVD or
flashdirve, or maybe that was a fresh install and this was a repair.

I did everything on the problem computer, and by golly....

>I'm not sure having an old version is causing me problems, but every
>time I have a problem, I have to wonder if it's because it's an old
>version. I'm still at version 20H2, Build 19042.844 copyright 2020 (my
>gosh that's 3 or 4 years ago.)

Now I have 22H2, Build 19045.3803 . And it took less than 40 minutes,
during which I had to do nothing after the first 3 or 4.

However, it rearranged the icons on my desktop into alphabetical order.
I hate that. And I added a new one and it put it in the middle
alphabetically, so alphabetical is turned on even when I right clicked
the desktop, Sor had no option checked.

I had gone to some trouble to arrange them logically. And partially

Under Sort by, there is no option: None. How will I turn off the
sorting so I can put things where I want them. I used to be able to do
that.

And it rearranged my quick launch bar, at least to some extent. It put
the Show Desktop icon last when it used to be first. That I coudl put
back. I don't use the other 23 much since they allowed the Taskbar to be
usd for the same purpose.

They tell you in advance that they only preserve some settings, but they
didn't offer a list of what settings they might mess up. Would that
have been so hard?

I haven't found any other things they messed up, but I've only had 10
minutes. Still, it was probably well worth it since I hadn't updated
the main part of the system for 18 or 28 months. It will probably work
now.

Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years

<dkjgri9gbtc597nrtns5cksgg193g52dnn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77884&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77884

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:19:27 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 01:19 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 16:07:57 -0500, knuttle
<keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 01/29/2024 2:24 PM, micky wrote:
>> Paul, because I've been unable to update my desktop box, winPro, for
>> close to 2 year, you suggested I do a repair install iiuc, but before I
>> left for vacation, I didn't have time. I think I have time now.
>>
>> IIRC, I need to dl from somewhere the latest version of winPro, copy it
>> to a flashdrive (or dvd), and boot from it, and follow the directions.
>>
>> As in https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/fix-windows-10-repair-install
>>
>> Is this what you meant, that this should update windows when none of the
>> other methods would run to completion?
>>

>> I'm not sure having an old version is causing me problems, but every
>> time I have a problem, I have to wonder if it's because it's an old
>> version. I'm still at version 20H2, Build 19042.844 copyright 2020 (my
>> gosh that's 3 or 4 years ago.)
>Not Paul, but with Windows 10 home you can reinstall Windows and save
>the data. From experience it updates the Windows OS, but not
>necessarily the individual drivers, which could also be a problem
>
>I would not do as I did return the computer to the factory install,
>Unless there is absolutely no other way.

Good advice.

Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years

<pljgrihld1pj06csomtkqssr9fruep1opc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77885&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77885

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:20:28 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 01:20 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:25:21 +0000, Sutya
Nadella <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 29/01/2024 19:24, micky wrote:
>>
>> IIRC, I need to dl from somewhere the latest version of winPro, copy it
>> to a flashdrive (or dvd), and boot from it, and follow the directions.
>>

>No, that's not the way to upgrade. By upgrade people mean to say that
>they want to keep all their personal data and applications. If this is
>the case then you need to mount the ISO and run the setup.exe file that
>is at the root of the mounted ISO.
>
>I am assuming you know how to mount an ISO file. If not, right-click on
>the file and choose "mount". You can't miss the setup.exe file if you
>are paying attention on the screen when you are doing all these things.

I think I did all those things 3 or 4 years ago, but this time it was
much easier, as my other post explains.

Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years

<up9kuu$mnvp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77888&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77888

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 18:55:41 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 01:55 UTC

micky wrote on 1/29/24 12:24 PM:
> Paul, because I've been unable to update my desktop box, winPro, for
> close to 2 year, you suggested I do a repair install iiuc, but before I
> left for vacation, I didn't have time. I think I have time now.
>
> IIRC, I need to dl from somewhere the latest version of winPro, copy it
> to a flashdrive (or dvd), and boot from it, and follow the directions.
>
> As in https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/fix-windows-10-repair-install
>
> Is this what you meant, that this should update windows when none of the
> other methods would run to completion?
>

> I'm not sure having an old version is causing me problems, but every
> time I have a problem, I have to wonder if it's because it's an old
> version. I'm still at version 20H2, Build 19042.844 copyright 2020 (my
> gosh that's 3 or 4 years ago.)

Repair install in that article which was written over 2.5 yrs is based on
reinstalling the exact same o/s version that exists on the device.
At that time the current latest released o/s was 21H1 19043
- i.e. the article was for an existing install or 21H1, downloading the
Media Creation Tool for 21H1, run the MCT exe file to create a 21H1 ISO,
then use 'that' to repair install 21H1.

Note: the Media Creation Tool(MCT) creates current o/s media
=> Today, if you downloaded the MCT for Win10 it would create 22H2
media ***not 21H1 or 20H2**. Also, one doesn't download or create a Pro
version. It's Windows 10(an doing it today would be 22H2 and like in the
past it works for both Win10 Pro and Home)

Based on the above and following/understanding(the above)
- You do not want to repair install 20H2
- you should be downloading the MCT, using the MCT to create USB or an
ISO(for mounting) then using that media or mounted ISO to run it's
included setup.exe to upgrade 20H2 to 22H2
=> => If using USB media => Do not boot the USB media

Since, its been years since you've upgraded you should(highly
recommended) and before doing the above you should:
a. verify the integrity of the existing Windows 20H2 image
b. verify the status of the Windows Component Store
To do so
Open an admin command prompt and use Windows included imaging utility DISM.
In that command prompt enter(or copy/paste the following), then press the
Enter key
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Once done, enter(or copy/paste the following) then press the Enter key
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

If you receive any indication that the image can or should be repaired,
the use DISM a third time
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Once done, again use DISM to check the Component Store
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

Once done, use DISM again
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Then and only then, attempt to upgrade your 20H2 to 22H2

Report the results once you are complete doing everything suggested above.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years

<gd9iri9tdi54rgq50gbd7t4club3g91kkk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77909&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77909

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:51:48 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:51 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 18:55:41 -0700,
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

>micky wrote on 1/29/24 12:24 PM:
>> Paul, because I've been unable to update my desktop box, winPro, for
>> close to 2 year, you suggested I do a repair install iiuc, but before I
>> left for vacation, I didn't have time. I think I have time now.
>>
>> IIRC, I need to dl from somewhere the latest version of winPro, copy it
>> to a flashdrive (or dvd), and boot from it, and follow the directions.
>>
>> As in https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/fix-windows-10-repair-install
>>
>> Is this what you meant, that this should update windows when none of the
>> other methods would run to completion?
>>

>> I'm not sure having an old version is causing me problems, but every
>> time I have a problem, I have to wonder if it's because it's an old
>> version. I'm still at version 20H2, Build 19042.844 copyright 2020 (my
>> gosh that's 3 or 4 years ago.)
>>
>Repair install in that article which was written over 2.5 yrs is based on
>reinstalling the exact same o/s version that exists on the device.

Well, installing pro over pro or home over home. It didn't have to be
the *exact same* version, because I had 20H2 and I ended up with 22H2,
build 19045.3803, which I believe is the current version.

>At that time the current latest released o/s was 21H1 19043
> - i.e. the article was for an existing install or 21H1, downloading the
>Media Creation Tool for 21H1, run the MCT exe file to create a 21H1 ISO,
>then use 'that' to repair install 21H1.

But all the same procedures when done now will give the current release

>Note: the Media Creation Tool(MCT) creates current o/s media
> => Today, if you downloaded the MCT for Win10 it would create 22H2
>media ***not 21H1 or 20H2**.

Right. And that was my goal.

> Also, one doesn't download or create a Pro
>version. It's Windows 10(an doing it today would be 22H2 and like in the
>past it works for both Win10 Pro and Home)
>
>Based on the above and following/understanding(the above)
> - You do not want to repair install 20H2
> - you should be downloading the MCT, using the MCT to create USB or an
>ISO(for mounting) then using that media or mounted ISO to run it's
>included setup.exe to upgrade 20H2 to 22H2

I want to emphasize that I didn't have to have a USB drive or DVD. I
never saw an ISO or the media creation tool. It all happened inside my
box, out of view. I may have used "repair" earlier in this or another
thread, but that word never got mentioned afaicr when I did the
procedure in the Tomshardware link at the top. It really didnt' give
any choices, iirc.

> => => If using USB media => Do not boot the USB media
>
>Since, its been years since you've upgraded you should(highly
>recommended) and before doing the above you should:
> a. verify the integrity of the existing Windows 20H2 image
> b. verify the status of the Windows Component Store
>To do so
>Open an admin command prompt and use Windows included imaging utility DISM.
>In that command prompt enter(or copy/paste the following), then press the
>Enter key
>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
>
>Once done, enter(or copy/paste the following) then press the Enter key
>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
>
>If you receive any indication that the image can or should be repaired,
>the use DISM a third time
>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
>
>Once done, again use DISM to check the Component Store
>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
>
>Once done, use DISM again
>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
>
>Then and only then, attempt to upgrade your 20H2 to 22H2
>
>Report the results once you are complete doing everything suggested above.

Thanks for the detailed answer, which I will save, but.. Too late. I've
already upgraded to 22H2. I wasn't trying to hide that. AFAIK
everything is fine except the order of the icons on the desktop, and I
think I'll forget about rearranging them unless it annoys me more than
now some day. I mostly just use webbrowsers on this computer, and
sometimes email something to the other computer, plus a file manager,
Everything, Tunein, and Solitaire. If other stuff is broken it may take
me a long time to find it.

Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years

<upbn0q$1500i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77918&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77918

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:43:04 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 20:43 UTC

micky wrote on 1/30/24 9:51 AM:

> I want to emphasize that I didn't have to have a USB drive or DVD. I
> never saw an ISO or the media creation tool. It all happened inside my
> box, out of view. I may have used "repair" earlier in this or another
> thread, but that word never got mentioned afaicr when I did the
> procedure in the Tomshardware link at the top. It really didnt' give
> any choices, iirc.

Fyi...the procedure in that article instructed you to
a. download the Media Creation Tool(MCT)
b. Create an ISO

If you followed the article, you would have 'seen' both.
=> The MCT sole purpose is to create media or an ISO

If not following the article, then you did something else.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years

<0s3jri56j4i2e0t9kh53nlb5at8r5u7143@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77922&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77922

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:19:37 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 00:19 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:43:04 -0700,
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

>micky wrote on 1/30/24 9:51 AM:
>>
>> I want to emphasize that I didn't have to have a USB drive or DVD. I
>> never saw an ISO or the media creation tool. It all happened inside my
>> box, out of view. I may have used "repair" earlier in this or another
>> thread, but that word never got mentioned afaicr when I did the
>> procedure in the Tomshardware link at the top. It really didnt' give
>> any choices, iirc.
>
>Fyi...the procedure in that article instructed you to
>a. download the Media Creation Tool(MCT)
>b. Create an ISO

Yes that's in the article, and it's described in the first section
called "Creating a Windows Install ISO".

But I used the second section called "Performing the In-place Repair
Upgrade Install "

The first graphic shows two choices:
What do you want to do?
Upgrade this pc now?
Create installation media... for another PC

I chose the first.

>If you followed the article, you would have 'seen' both.

I didnt' say I didn't see his reference to a MCT or ISO. I said "I
didn't have to have a USB drive or DVD. I never saw an ISO or the media
creation tool" when I was doing what I was doing. The article talks
about an ISO and a MCT, but you can't actually see one there.

>=> The MCT sole purpose is to create media or an ISO
>
>If not following the article, then you did something else.

I used the link he provided and followed the second choice of the
graphic IN THE ARTICLE. It required even less work than he described in
the second section. I recommend it to everyone for whom it is useful.

It's been 19 months since he published the article. Maybe MS made
things easier since then.

Re: Paul, can't upgrade win10Pro after 3+ years

<upc86t$17ks6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77923&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77923

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 18:36:27 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 01:36 UTC

micky wrote on 1/30/24 5:19 PM:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:43:04 -0700,
> ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> micky wrote on 1/30/24 9:51 AM:
>>>
>>> I want to emphasize that I didn't have to have a USB drive or DVD. I
>>> never saw an ISO or the media creation tool. It all happened inside my
>>> box, out of view. I may have used "repair" earlier in this or another
>>> thread, but that word never got mentioned afaicr when I did the
>>> procedure in the Tomshardware link at the top. It really didnt' give
>>> any choices, iirc.
>>
>> Fyi...the procedure in that article instructed you to
>> a. download the Media Creation Tool(MCT)
>> b. Create an ISO
>
> Yes that's in the article, and it's described in the first section
> called "Creating a Windows Install ISO".
>
> But I used the second section called "Performing the In-place Repair
> Upgrade Install "
>
> The first graphic shows two choices:
> What do you want to do?
> Upgrade this pc now?
> Create installation media... for another PC
>
> I chose the first.
>
>> If you followed the article, you would have 'seen' both.
>
> I didnt' say I didn't see his reference to a MCT or ISO. I said "I
> didn't have to have a USB drive or DVD. I never saw an ISO or the media
> creation tool" when I was doing what I was doing. The article talks
> about an ISO and a MCT, but you can't actually see one there.
>
>> => The MCT sole purpose is to create media or an ISO
>>
>> If not following the article, then you did something else.
>
> I used the link he provided and followed the second choice of the
> graphic IN THE ARTICLE. It required even less work than he described in
> the second section. I recommend it to everyone for whom it is useful.
>
> It's been 19 months since he published the article. Maybe MS made
> things easier since then.

That's why when asking for help or responding its a good idea to provide
clear and concise information about your condition.

....and if replying after attempting something based on information in
this group or the internet tell what you specifically did

e.g.
"I did the procedure in the Tomshardware link"
=> No you didn't. You did not follow my friend and colleague Ed's
advice(run setup.exe from the MCT created ISO)

--