The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. -- John Muir

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?

SubjectAuthor
* How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?Bradley
+* Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?Paul
|`* Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?Bradley
| `- Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?Joe Beanfish
+- Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?Newyana2
`* Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?Carlos E.R.
 +* Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?Enrico Papaloma
 |`- Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?Bradley
 `- Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?Bradley

1
How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?

<updta8$1joqh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77931&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77931

From: bradley@nospam.com (Bradley)
Newsgroups: comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.editors
Subject: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:42:48 -0500
 by: Bradley - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 16:42 UTC

For our YMCA Adventure Guides monthly meeting we want the girls to read a
book that one of the guys' kids found and sent to us in a bunch of formats,
but we want to make a local web page for the kids to read on a 192.168.1.x
local link.

Is that possible with one of these formats he sent us?
book.docx, book.mobi, book.htmlz & book.pdf

The "HTMLZ" would seem to be the best but it's one file.
What Windows tool opens it that all the kids could use?

Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?

<updtnm$1jr57$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77932&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77932

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.editors
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:49:57 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 16:49 UTC

On 1/31/2024 11:42 AM, Bradley wrote:
> For our YMCA Adventure Guides monthly meeting we want the girls to read a
> book that one of the guys' kids found and sent to us in a bunch of formats,
> but we want to make a local web page for the kids to read on a 192.168.1.x
> local link.
>
> Is that possible with one of these formats he sent us?
> book.docx, book.mobi, book.htmlz & book.pdf
>
> The "HTMLZ" would seem to be the best but it's one file.
> What Windows tool opens it that all the kids could use?

The letter Z tells you "it is compressed with something" :-)
Obviously, you knew that.

OK, which compressors are cross platform ?

Which compressors are common ?

I would try a ZIP approach for example.

You know, 7ZIP is an excellent tool for forensic work.
But it may not mention what stream it just broke into.

After 7ZIP gets into your HTMLZ, then you can
try a regular ZIP approach.

ren book.htmlz book.htmlz.zip # Change the file extension to fool windows

Then try file explorer zipfldr integration and see
if the same file set is visible as in your 7ZIP screen.

Paul

Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?

<updukf$1k0rg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77933&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77933

From: bradley@nospam.com (Bradley)
Newsgroups: comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.editors
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 12:05:19 -0500
 by: Bradley - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 17:05 UTC

On 1/31/2024 11:49 AM, Paul wrote:
> You know, 7ZIP is an excellent tool for forensic work.

With 7Zip, on Windows, it extracted to
./images/
cover.jpg
index.html
metadata.opf
style.css

Then I used Firefox to Open > File on the HTML, which was the entire book.
I didn't realize it was that easy.

For some reason I had thought it was a special format of some kind.
I thought it had a special reader of some kind.

It's all done now, although I don't know what the other files are for.
Are they of any use?

Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?

<upe0ai$1kade$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77934&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77934

From: Newyana2@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.editors
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 12:33:28 -0500
 by: Newyana2 - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 17:33 UTC

"Bradley" <bradley@nospam.com> wrote

| For our YMCA Adventure Guides monthly meeting we want the girls to read a
| book that one of the guys' kids found and sent to us in a bunch of
formats,
| but we want to make a local web page for the kids to read on a 192.168.1.x
| local link.
| | Is that possible with one of these formats he sent us?
| book.docx, book.mobi, book.htmlz & book.pdf
| | The "HTMLZ" would seem to be the best but it's one file.
| What Windows tool opens it that all the kids could use?

Why not just use PDF? Every computer reads them and
most browsers open them by default. If it doesn't
open the child will get a link to save the file. Docx needs
an Office doc reader of some kind. HTMLZ is an unusual format.

Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?

<i0dq8kxf59.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77935&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77935

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.editors
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:35:46 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 17:35 UTC

On 2024-01-31 17:42, Bradley wrote:
> For our YMCA Adventure Guides monthly meeting we want the girls to read a
> book that one of the guys' kids found and sent to us in a bunch of formats,
> but we want to make a local web page for the kids to read on a 192.168.1.x
> local link.
>
> Is that possible with one of these formats he sent us?
> book.docx, book.mobi, book.htmlz & book.pdf
>
> The "HTMLZ" would seem to be the best but it's one file.
> What Windows tool opens it that all the kids could use?

..docx can be opened with M$ Office and LibreOffice, maybe more.

The others can probably be read with Calibre, possibly more.

I'd guess that htmlz can be read directly by some web browser. Google
doesn't confirm, but instead confirms that Calibre opens them.

In that case, I would think that the book.docx is the original, and the
others were conversions by Calibre to read the book on several epub readers.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?

<upeg4n$nfs$1@news.gegeweb.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77941&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77941

From: enrico@papaloma.net (Enrico Papaloma)
Newsgroups: comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.editors
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 23:04:07 +0100
 by: Enrico Papaloma - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 22:04 UTC

On 1/31/2024 6:35 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> In that case, I would think that the book.docx is the original, and the
> others were conversions by Calibre to read the book on several epub readers.

Calibre is often used to convert epub formats to pdf, docx, htmlz & textz.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/generated/en/ebook-convert.html
AZW3 Output Options
AZW4 Input Options
CHM Input Options
Comic Input Options
DJVU Input Options
DOCX Input Options
DOCX Output Options
EPUB Input Options
EPUB Output Options
FB2 Input Options
FB2 Output Options
HTLZ Input Options
HTML Input Options
HTML Output Options
HTMLZ Output Options
LIT Input Options
LIT Output Options
LRF Input Options
LRF Output Options
MOBI Input Options
MOBI Output Options
ODT Input Options
OEB Output Options
PDB Input Options
PDB Output Options
PDF Input Options
PDF Output Options
PML Input Options
PML Output Options
RB Input Options
RB Output Options
RTF Input Options
RTF Output Options
Recipe Input Options
SNB Input Options
SNB Output Options
TCR Input Options
TCR Output Options
TXT Input Options
TXT Output Options
TXTZ Output Options

Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?

<upej7b$1nia7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77942&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77942

From: bradley@nospam.com (Bradley)
Newsgroups: comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.editors
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 17:56:43 -0500
 by: Bradley - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 22:56 UTC

On 1/31/2024 5:04 PM, Enrico Papaloma wrote:
> FB2 Input Options
> FB2 Output Options
> HTLZ Input Options
> HTML Input Options
> HTML Output Options
> HTMLZ Output Options
> LIT Input Options
> LIT Output Options

From that, I noticed Calibre does not read HTMLZ.
Only outputs it.

All htmlz seems to be is the images and the HTML file calling those images.
Plus the text of the book in HTML format.

What's interesting is Calibre has a similarly one way textz format also.
> TXT Input Options
> TXT Output Options
> TXTZ Output Options

Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?

<upeli7$1ntls$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77943&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77943

From: bradley@nospam.com (Bradley)
Newsgroups: comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.editors
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:36:39 -0500
 by: Bradley - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 23:36 UTC

On 1/31/2024 12:35 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> The others can probably be read with Calibre, possibly more.
>
> I'd guess that htmlz can be read directly by some web browser. Google
> doesn't confirm, but instead confirms that Calibre opens them.
>
> In that case, I would think that the book.docx is the original, and the
> others were conversions by Calibre to read the book on several epub readers.

Apologies for the lack of detail forcing people to guess. Here's detail.

I spoke with the kid who is a teenager of his young grade school sister who
is in the YMCA Adventure Guides. The book is not intended to be printed.

We are fathers trying to empower girls to think for themselves and not to
take the opinion from others as gospel, so we give all of them the same
book and we give them only fifteen minutes to figure what the message is.

They spend more than an hour in a circle discussing the book, where it's
almost like one of those "telephone" games we played when we were kids.

It's never going to be printed. It's a one-time event. Each month we have
to have a "craft" which teaches the kids something. The craft is designed
by the father (women aren't allowed in the process) to be "educational".

The teenager explained to me he used Calibre and that he downloaded the
book off the Internet in the mobi format. He converted it to the other
formats (there are something like two dozen possible output formats).

The problem with mobi is we can't expect the kids to read a mobi on their
own phones, iPads, tablets & laptops that they will bring to the meeting.

The file will be hosted at 192.168.1.x on the local home's LAN. We meet
once a month with the hundreds of girls in the YMCA Adventure Guides (moms
are NEVER allowed!), for example, for a weekend camping event or a Saturday
canoeing event or a Sunday sleepover in the local amusement park, or
whatever. https://ymcamontgomery.org/camp/programs/father-child-weekend/

Then once a month we meet with just a dozen fathers and their kids (the
women and brothers are told to stay out of mind, out of sight) for a cozier
tribal get together (we used to be called "YMCA Indian Princesses" but (for
some reason, we're told never to speak about Native Americans at the
events). We even had to change our chant because it was an Indian
expression (we were told) so we reversed the letters - as a nod to the
concept of following the rules in our own way. http://ytribes.com/
https://ymcaoc.org/adventure-guides-history/

Bear in mind the Adventure Guides is about as unlike the Girl Scouts and
Boy Scouts as Hitler Youth are from the Gospel Choir - so it's not about
following rules but about breaking the rules - it's not about earning
badges but about having fun with the fathers (women aren't allowed within a
hundred feet of any of the YMCA Adventure Guide events - unless they're
wearing a bathing suit - we've made that exception due to one new member
whose wife is more stunning than ours is so that's a running joke).

It's not about saluting but all about empowering girls and boys to have fun
their friends and with like minded fathers with school-age small kids.

In the beginning of the year the dozen fathers get together to plan the
rotating home hosting schedule and what the topic of each meeting can be.

Home hosts shoo the ladies away and set up a group meeting with fathers and
girls (or boys for the boys Adventure Guides) that has a learning "craft".

This "craft" is for the host father to choose a book from this list.
https://happyhooligans.ca/best-chapter-books-for-girls/

Then to obtain that book and put it on his local network for the kids to
access locally. The kids will bring their own personal devices to read it.

The HTML seemed most appropriate for that, which is why the HTMLZ showed up
as the teen who did all the work seems to have known what he was doing.

I noted in a different thread that TXT is another output format, but it
loses the images (and their context) that HTMLZ preserves.

What I didn't know at the start was that it doesn't seem like ANYTHING
reads the HTMLZ output. Not even Calibre. The HTMLZ is just a zip output.

So it was wrong of me to assume Firefox would read the HTMLZ file.
What Firefox reads is the index.html file (and associated images).

I'm not sure how much other stuff is needed but this is in the folder.
./images/
./cover.jpg
./index.html
./metadata.opf
./style.css

Re: How do you open and display an HTMLZ book format on Windows?

<upg8mi$23fq0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77951&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77951

Followup: comp.text.pdf
From: joebeanfish@nospam.duh (Joe Beanfish)
Newsgroups: comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.editors
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:09:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Beanfish - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:09 UTC

On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 12:05:19 -0500, Bradley wrote:

> On 1/31/2024 11:49 AM, Paul wrote:
>> You know, 7ZIP is an excellent tool for forensic work.
>
> With 7Zip, on Windows, it extracted to
> ./images/
> cover.jpg
> index.html
> metadata.opf
> style.css
>
> Then I used Firefox to Open > File on the HTML, which was the entire book.
> I didn't realize it was that easy.
>
> For some reason I had thought it was a special format of some kind.
> I thought it had a special reader of some kind.
>
> It's all done now, although I don't know what the other files are for.
> Are they of any use?

The html file likely refers to the style.css (font/layout styles) and
cover.jpg and ./images/* (image(s) on the page). The .opf would be info
about the files and probably not useful/needed in your context.