From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Revert to Windows 8
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 12:31:41 -0500
 by: knuttle - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:31 UTC

I have a tablet that came with Windows 8. When W10 came out I updated
it to W10, About the 2nd or 3rd version of W10 the tablet would not
update. I have been able to use the tablet by keeping it off of the
LAN, so as not to fight the update hassle.

If I reinstall W8 on the tablet, since Window 8 is on longer supported,
will the W8 insist on being updated? ie can I use it as I would like
with out the hassle of fighting to keep it from going into an update.

Re: Revert to Windows 8

<l2f9elFs54gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78134&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78134

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Revert to Windows 8
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 08:43:48 -0900
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:43 UTC

knuttle wrote:
> I have a tablet that came with Windows 8. When W10 came out I updated
> it to W10, About the 2nd or 3rd version of W10 the tablet would not
> update. I have been able to use the tablet by keeping it off of the
> LAN, so as not to fight the update hassle.
>
> If I reinstall W8 on the tablet, since Window 8 is on longer
> supported, will the W8 insist on being updated? ie can I use it as
> I would like with out the hassle of fighting to keep it from going
> into an update.

Why not look for a Windows update blocker? I use one on all my computers
including my Win Tablet.

https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-8/
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Revert to Windows 8

<upttmf$10idc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78136&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78136

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 11:27:25 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 18:27 UTC

knuttle wrote on 2/6/24 10:31 AM:
> I have a tablet that came with Windows 8.  When W10 came out I updated it
> to W10,  About the 2nd or 3rd version of W10 the tablet would not
> update.   I have been able to use the tablet by keeping it off of the
> LAN, so as not to fight the update hassle.
>
> If I reinstall W8 on the tablet, since Window 8 is on longer supported,
> will the W8 insist on being updated?   ie can I use it as I would like
> with out the hassle of fighting to keep it from going into an update.

Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1

8.0 would only offer to upgrade to 8.1
8.1 would most likely offer Win 10.

Make and model of the tablet?

Method planned to reinstall Win 8?
OEM reset to factory(using their media)?
OEM software tools and included special OEM recovery partition on
current device(if still present and functional) to reset to factory?
Windows 8 created media(USB, DVD, ISO)?

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Revert to Windows 8

<uptu8p$25e32$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78137&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78137

From: invalid@invalid.kjhtgfrfd (H.Lipman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 18:34:16 +0000
 by: H.Lipman - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 18:34 UTC

On 06/02/2024 17:31, knuttle wrote:
> I have a tablet that came with Windows 8.� When W10 came out I updated
> it to W10,� About the 2nd or 3rd version of W10 the tablet would not
> update.�� I have been able to use the tablet by keeping it off of the
> LAN, so as not to fight the update hassle.
>
> If I reinstall W8 on the tablet, since Window 8 is on longer
> supported, will the W8 insist on being updated?�� ie can I use it as I
> would like with out the hassle of fighting to keep it from going into
> an update.

FREE UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 AND 11 IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO WINDOWS 7
AND WINDOWS 8.1 USERS AFAIK. MICROSOFT FIXED THE BUG THAT WAS ALLOWING
PEOPLE TO GET FREE UPGRADES AFTER 1 YEAR OF GRACE PERIOD WHEN WINDOWS 10
WAS FIRST RELEASED.

GO AHEAD AND WIPE THE DISK AND INSTALL WINDOWS 8.1. WHETHER IT ACTIVATES
IS A DIFFERENT MATTER BECAUSE WINDOWS 8.1 AND PRIOR VERSIONS HAVE
REACHED EOL.

MY KEYBOARD IS BROKEN SO ALL IN CAPS.

Re: Revert to Windows 8

<upud2t$138fp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78142&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78142

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:50:03 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 22:50 UTC

H.Lipman wrote on 2/6/24 11:34 AM:
> On 06/02/2024 17:31, knuttle wrote:
>> I have a tablet that came with Windows 8.  When W10 came out I updated
>> it to W10,  About the 2nd or 3rd version of W10 the tablet would not
>> update.   I have been able to use the tablet by keeping it off of the
>> LAN, so as not to fight the update hassle.
>>
>> If I reinstall W8 on the tablet, since Window 8 is on longer
>> supported, will the W8 insist on being updated?   ie can I use it as I
>> would like with out the hassle of fighting to keep it from going into
>> an update.
>
> FREE UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 AND 11 IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO WINDOWS 7
> AND WINDOWS 8.1 USERS AFAIK. MICROSOFT FIXED THE BUG THAT WAS ALLOWING
> PEOPLE TO GET FREE UPGRADES AFTER 1 YEAR OF GRACE PERIOD WHEN WINDOWS 10
> WAS FIRST RELEASED.
>
> GO AHEAD AND WIPE THE DISK AND INSTALL WINDOWS 8.1. WHETHER IT ACTIVATES
> IS A DIFFERENT MATTER BECAUSE WINDOWS 8.1 AND PRIOR VERSIONS HAVE
> REACHED EOL.
>
> MY KEYBOARD IS BROKEN SO ALL IN CAPS.

If the device is already licensed(digitally) for Win10 and preferably
with a Microsoft Account, then one would not 'upgrade'.
- The process(and after saving an image of Windows 8.1) boot Win10
media(USB, DVD) and clean install Win10. Preferably and before starting
the Win10 install, use the Advanced option to wipe the disk..then create
the partitions(for GPT System, MSR, Windows, WinRE) or let the install
media create the desired partitions.
- i.e. the same route if Win10 was on the device and deciding to wipe
the disk, partition and clean install.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Revert to Windows 8

<upui1f$140ro$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78146&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78146

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:14:37 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 00:14 UTC

On 2/6/2024 12:31 PM, knuttle wrote:
> I have a tablet that came with Windows 8.  When W10 came out I updated it to W10,  About the 2nd or 3rd version of W10 the tablet would not update.   I have been able to use the tablet by keeping it off of the LAN, so as not to fight the update hassle.
>
> If I reinstall W8 on the tablet, since Window 8 is on longer supported, will the W8 insist on being updated?   ie can I use it as I would like with out the hassle of fighting to keep it from going into an update.

The Windows install-only keys no longer work
(that's for anyone "playing" with W8.1 out there).
An install-only key, is the kind of key you use
while test-installing the OS, and works for the
grace period. To license, you replace the key
in that case, with the real key, within 30 days
or whatever. Well, that convenience-key, no longer works.

Your 8.1 tablet is perfect, since the BIOS stores the
license key for you, in ACPI MSDM table. This means the
installer should run and not be cranky. Whereas if I
run the W8.1 today... it will be cranky (I tested this
some months ago). This works, as long as your tablet *shipped*
with W8.1 or W8.0 -- if you added W8.1 after Vista was
there, then the BIOS has no key stored in it. In such
an unlikely case, you'd need Produkey or MagicJellyBean,
to save the key for later.

This should work great on your tablet -- not grief like
i was getting when I tested.

*******

You would install W8.1, then go find the WSUSOffline
Win8.1 collector program, and "build a folder of update files".
I've done this for WinXP and Win7 for example.

What the WSUSOffline is famous for, is the team who works on it,
they know how to patch Windows Update so it works again.
So it won't spin in circles. They will take account of the
transition from SHA1 to SHA2 signing for example. It can take
as many as five applications of "UpdateInstaller.exe" to finish
the job (as the OS needs to reboot after a chunk is done).

WSUSOffline has two phases:

1) Collection phase. It downloads 10GB of files from microsoft.com .
The web site the software is on, is NOT providing update files.
If Microsoft stops offering KB1234567, you are screwed.

2) Install phase. You go to the collection folder, and there
is an installer script. This is what you run, to bring
Windows 8.1 mostly up to date.

https://download.wsusoffline.net/

https://download.wsusoffline.net/wsusoffline120.zip

Name: wsusoffline120.zip <=== bag full of scripts :-)
Size: 6,507,097 bytes (6354 KiB)
SHA256: 4D6A2EE08864E8F6338D71B2A8627038073DB5FC5C2BE9424E00C50C20A38FB2

Double click UpdateGenerator.exe

Select "Legacy Windows"

Windows 8.1 / Server 2012...

x86 Global X64 Global <=== likely this one, tick the one you need

Here is a picture.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/DZynJgmv/wsusoffline-V120.gif

Whatever folder you collect in, make sure there is enough
room for 10GB of updates. It uses "wget.exe" to fetch
stuff and store it in the collection folder in the picture.

Note that this is NOT the end of the story. What this
gives you, is a secure minimal set of updates, and if you
start Windows Update, three minutes later, a list of the
remaining updates will be presented. Since some users have
a fetish about certain items, not everyone wants the entire
set of updates to be installed. That is why most of the time,
just the security ones are going in. You still need to do
some additional amount of updating.

Some OSes are broken out of the box. You will never be
able to fix them on your own. WSUSOffline does sufficient
work, to "unbreak" things. The WSUSOffline Vista collector,
used to work fine... but Microsoft found a way to break it,
and this is something that can no longer be fixed (SHA2
signed WSUSSCN2.cab).

Example of a troublemaker, needed for update purposes
A Vista collection script, may not work properly with a modern one.

Name: wsusscn2.cab
Size: 1,111,509,078 bytes (1060 MiB)
SHA1: 12B95910090FEC44D6D8E5EA53363C4E0C73FEE8

I expect the Win8.1 adventure should be a reasonable one.

You're perfectly welcome to just use Windows Update in the
freshly installed OS for your own self. The above recipe
helps for certain cases. Maybe W8.1 doesn't need this
sort of thing. But now you know what one of the handy packages is.
It's too bad that a collector made in 2014 for Vista, no longer
works.

Paul