VMS version 2.0 ==>

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / No access to server

SubjectAuthor
* No access to serverFokke Nauta
+* Re: No access to serverGraham J
|`* Re: No access to serverFokke Nauta
| `* Re: No access to serverGraham J
|  `- Re: No access to serverFokke Nauta
+* Re: No access to serverFokke Nauta
|+* Re: No access to serverGraham J
||`* Re: No access to serverFokke Nauta
|| `* Re: No access to serverPaul
||  `* Re: No access to serverFokke Nauta
||   `- Re: No access to serverwasbit
|`* Re: No access to serverFokke Nauta
| +- Re: No access to serverEd Cryer
| `- Re: No access to serverCarlos E.R.
+* Re: No access to serverFrank Slootweg
|`* Re: No access to serverPaul
| +* Re: No access to serverFrank Slootweg
| |+- Re: No access to serverFokke Nauta
| |`* Re: No access to serverFokke Nauta
| | `* Re: No access to serverFrank Slootweg
| |  `* Re: No access to serverFokke Nauta
| |   `* Re: No access to serverFrank Slootweg
| |    `- Re: No access to serverFokke Nauta
| `* Re: No access to serverFokke Nauta
|  `* Re: No access to serverFrank Slootweg
|   `- Re: No access to serverFokke Nauta
`- Re: No access to serverFokke Nauta

Pages:12
No access to server

<l4r8tbFprj1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78826&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78826

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: No access to server
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:20:44 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:20 UTC

Hi all,

All of a sudden we got a weird problem. We have a local wired network
with 2 W10 PC's and a W10 PC which acts as a server. On the server are
maps with files, which are accessable from our PC's. From my PC I have
access to all maps on the server. However, from the PC of my wife there
was all of a sudden no access to the maps anymore. We got this error
message when trying to open the map Files on the server (Z:):
An error occurred while attempting to reconnect Z: to \\Server\Files.
Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. This
connection has not been restored.

I rebooted her PC and the server, it didn't solve it.
On her PC I placed a system image back which I made with Macrium Reflect
a month ago. After starting up again, the problem was still there. No
maps are accessable. And, when opening the file explorer on her PC, it
takes a long time to open.
Do you have any suggestions how to solve this nasty problem?

Many thanks in advance.

With regards,
Fokke Nauta

Re: No access to server

<usa4ci$gig5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78827&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78827

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: No access to server
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:07:37 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:07 UTC

Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> All of a sudden we got a weird problem. We have a local wired network
> with 2 W10 PC's and a W10 PC which acts as a server. On the server are
> maps with files, which are accessable from our PC's. From my PC I have
> access to all maps on the server. However, from the PC of my wife there
> was all of a sudden no access to the maps anymore. We got this error
> message when trying to open the map Files on the server (Z:):
> An error occurred while attempting to reconnect Z: to \\Server\Files.
> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. This
> connection has not been restored.
>
> I rebooted her PC and the server, it didn't solve it.
> On her PC I placed a system image back which I made with Macrium Reflect
> a month ago. After starting up again, the problem was still there. No
> maps are accessable. And, when opening the file explorer on her PC, it
> takes a long time to open.
> Do you have any suggestions how to solve this nasty problem?

There are too many unknowns here to give any specific advice.

How are IP addresses allocated to all these PCs?

Specifically for the machine you call "server", is its IP address always
the same? Ideally it should be, especially for diagnostic purposes,
like now. If so, how is this achieved?

Can you ping "server" by IP address from the PC "Wife"?

Can you ping "server" by Name from the PC "Wife"?

Do all the PC use the same username and password?

Are there separate accounts for the Local Administrator, Local Users,
and users with a Microsoft Account?

How is the file sharing configured on the machine "server"?

--
Graham J

Re: No access to server

<l4rjc8Fraf4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78828&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78828

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:19:20 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:19 UTC

On 06/03/2024 17:07, Graham J wrote:
> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> All of a sudden we got a weird problem. We have a local wired network
>> with 2 W10 PC's and a W10 PC which acts as a server. On the server are
>> maps with files, which are accessable from our PC's. From my PC I have
>> access to all maps on the server. However, from the PC of my wife
>> there was all of a sudden no access to the maps anymore. We got this
>> error message when trying to open the map Files on the server (Z:):
>> An error occurred while attempting to reconnect Z: to \\Server\Files.
>> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.
>> This connection has not been restored.
>>
>> I rebooted her PC and the server, it didn't solve it.
>> On her PC I placed a system image back which I made with Macrium
>> Reflect a month ago. After starting up again, the problem was still
>> there. No maps are accessable. And, when opening the file explorer on
>> her PC, it takes a long time to open.
>> Do you have any suggestions how to solve this nasty problem?
>
> There are too many unknowns here to give any specific advice.
>
> How are IP addresses allocated to all these PCs?

This is done by the router. They get fixed addresses, depending on their
Mac address.

> Specifically for the machine you call "server", is its IP address always
> the same?

Yes, ofcourse.

> Ideally it should be, especially for diagnostic purposes,
> like now.  If so, how is this achieved?

By the router.

> Can you ping "server" by IP address from the PC "Wife"?

Yes

> Can you ping "server" by Name from the PC "Wife"?

No

> Do all the PC use the same username and password?

No.

> Are there separate accounts for the Local Administrator, Local Users,
> and users with a Microsoft Account?

Every PC has a local admin account.

> How is the file sharing configured on the machine "server"?

File sharing is enabled for the two accounts of the PC's.

Re: No access to server

<l4rjrjFrg9oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78829&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78829

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:27:31 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:27 UTC

On 06/03/2024 14:20, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> All of a sudden we got a weird problem. We have a local wired network
> with 2 W10 PC's and a W10 PC which acts as a server. On the server are
> maps with files, which are accessable from our PC's. From my PC I have
> access to all maps on the server. However, from the PC of my wife there
> was all of a sudden no access to the maps anymore. We got this error
> message when trying to open the map Files on the server (Z:):
> An error occurred while attempting to reconnect Z: to \\Server\Files.
> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. This
> connection has not been restored.
>
> I rebooted her PC and the server, it didn't solve it.
> On her PC I placed a system image back which I made with Macrium Reflect
> a month ago. After starting up again, the problem was still there. No
> maps are accessable. And, when opening the file explorer on her PC, it
> takes a long time to open.
> Do you have any suggestions how to solve this nasty problem?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> With regards,
> Fokke Nauta

Hi all,

I got the problem solved.
I placed an image back, created by Macrium Reflect, from a year ago.
Now the problem is gone, it works OK again. I'll never know what was wrong.
And now I'll get a lot of updates :-)
But I'm glad it works.

Fokke

Re: No access to server

<usa6es$gv7t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78830&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78830

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:42:59 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:42 UTC

Fokke Nauta wrote:
> On 06/03/2024 17:07, Graham J wrote:
>> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> All of a sudden we got a weird problem. We have a local wired network
>>> with 2 W10 PC's and a W10 PC which acts as a server. On the server
>>> are maps with files, which are accessable from our PC's. From my PC I
>>> have access to all maps on the server. However, from the PC of my
>>> wife there was all of a sudden no access to the maps anymore. We got
>>> this error message when trying to open the map Files on the server (Z:):
>>> An error occurred while attempting to reconnect Z: to \\Server\Files.
>>> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.
>>> This connection has not been restored.
>>>
>>> I rebooted her PC and the server, it didn't solve it.
>>> On her PC I placed a system image back which I made with Macrium
>>> Reflect a month ago. After starting up again, the problem was still
>>> there. No maps are accessable. And, when opening the file explorer on
>>> her PC, it takes a long time to open.
>>> Do you have any suggestions how to solve this nasty problem?
>>
>> There are too many unknowns here to give any specific advice.
>>
>> How are IP addresses allocated to all these PCs?
>
> This is done by the router. They get fixed addresses, depending on their
> Mac address.
>
>> Specifically for the machine you call "server", is its IP address
>> always the same?
>
> Yes, ofcourse.
>
>> Ideally it should be, especially for diagnostic purposes, like now.
>> If so, how is this achieved?
>
> By the router.

Understood about IP addresses

>> Can you ping "server" by IP address from the PC "Wife"?
>
> Yes
>
>> Can you ping "server" by Name from the PC "Wife"?
>
> No

[snip]

So we can see that the problem is with Microsoft's name resolution.

--
Graham J

Re: No access to server

<usa6im$gv7t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78831&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78831

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:45:01 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:45 UTC

Fokke Nauta wrote:

[snip]

> I got the problem solved.
> I placed an image back, created by Macrium Reflect, from a year ago.
> Now the problem is gone, it works OK again. I'll never know what was wrong.
> And now I'll get a lot of updates :-)
> But I'm glad it works.

I suspect one of the Microsoft Updates will break it again!

It would have been better to have identified the actual cause of the
problem. Otherwise it will only come back again, perhaps in a slightly
different form ...

--
Graham J

Re: No access to server

<l4rllgFrg9oU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78832&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78832

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:58:24 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:58 UTC

On 06/03/2024 17:42, Graham J wrote:
> Fokke Nauta wrote:

>>> There are too many unknowns here to give any specific advice.
>>>
>>> How are IP addresses allocated to all these PCs?
>>
>> This is done by the router. They get fixed addresses, depending on
>> their Mac address.
>>
>>> Specifically for the machine you call "server", is its IP address
>>> always the same?
>>
>> Yes, ofcourse.
>>
>>> Ideally it should be, especially for diagnostic purposes, like now.
>>> If so, how is this achieved?
>>
>> By the router.
>
> Understood about IP addresses

Correct. Every PC, the server as well, get their IP address from the
router, depending on their Mac addresses.

>>> Can you ping "server" by IP address from the PC "Wife"?
>>
>> Yes
>>
>>> Can you ping "server" by Name from the PC "Wife"?
>>
>> No
>>
> [snip]
>
> So we can see that the problem is with Microsoft's name resolution.

Yes, that's true. But what the reason was, we'll never know.

Re: No access to server

<l4rlpoFrg9oU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78833&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78833

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:00:40 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:00 UTC

On 06/03/2024 17:45, Graham J wrote:
> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> I got the problem solved.
>> I placed an image back, created by Macrium Reflect, from a year ago.
>> Now the problem is gone, it works OK again. I'll never know what was
>> wrong.
>> And now I'll get a lot of updates :-)
>> But I'm glad it works.
>
> I suspect one of the Microsoft Updates will break it again!

I hope that won't be true. But we'll never know ...

> It would have been better to have identified the actual cause of the
> problem.  Otherwise it will only come back again, perhaps in a slightly
> different form ...

I don't know what the cause of the problem was. Haven't got a clue.

Fokke

Re: No access to server

<usad53$ieh8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78834&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78834

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:37:22 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:37 UTC

On 3/6/2024 12:00 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> On 06/03/2024 17:45, Graham J wrote:
>> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>>> I got the problem solved.
>>> I placed an image back, created by Macrium Reflect, from a year ago.
>>> Now the problem is gone, it works OK again. I'll never know what was wrong.
>>> And now I'll get a lot of updates :-)
>>> But I'm glad it works.
>>
>> I suspect one of the Microsoft Updates will break it again!
>
> I hope that won't be true. But we'll never know ...
>
>> It would have been better to have identified the actual cause of the problem.  Otherwise it will only come back again, perhaps in a slightly different form ...
>
> I don't know what the cause of the problem was. Haven't got a clue.
>
> Fokke

Next time, on each machine, in Terminal

ipconfig

and get the details of what DHCP has assigned.

If you run

control.exe

there are Troubleshooters you could attempt to use.
But these don't help every problem, so those
are a low percentage solution.

Paul

Re: No access to server

<l4rsb7Fso1gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78836&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78836

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:52:23 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:52 UTC

On 06/03/2024 19:37, Paul wrote:
> On 3/6/2024 12:00 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> On 06/03/2024 17:45, Graham J wrote:
>>> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> I suspect one of the Microsoft Updates will break it again!
>>
>> I hope that won't be true. But we'll never know ...
>>
>>> It would have been better to have identified the actual cause of the problem.  Otherwise it will only come back again, perhaps in a slightly different form ...
>>
>> I don't know what the cause of the problem was. Haven't got a clue.
>>
>> Fokke
>>

> Next time, on each machine, in Terminal
>
> ipconfig
>
> and get the details of what DHCP has assigned.

I did and that was OK.

> If you run
>
> control.exe
>
> there are Troubleshooters you could attempt to use.
> But these don't help every problem, so those
> are a low percentage solution.
>
> Paul

Wasn't aware about control.exe. Next time in case of a problem I will
try this one.

Fokke

Re: No access to server

<l4rvt5Ft9bfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78837&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78837

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 20:53:09 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:53 UTC

On 06/03/2024 17:27, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> On 06/03/2024 14:20, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> All of a sudden we got a weird problem. We have a local wired network
>> with 2 W10 PC's and a W10 PC which acts as a server. On the server are
>> maps with files, which are accessable from our PC's. From my PC I have
>> access to all maps on the server. However, from the PC of my wife
>> there was all of a sudden no access to the maps anymore. We got this
>> error message when trying to open the map Files on the server (Z:):
>> An error occurred while attempting to reconnect Z: to \\Server\Files.
>> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.
>> This connection has not been restored.
>>
>> I rebooted her PC and the server, it didn't solve it.
>> On her PC I placed a system image back which I made with Macrium
>> Reflect a month ago. After starting up again, the problem was still
>> there. No maps are accessable. And, when opening the file explorer on
>> her PC, it takes a long time to open.
>> Do you have any suggestions how to solve this nasty problem?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>>
>> With regards,
>> Fokke Nauta
>

> Hi all,
>
> I got the problem solved.
> I placed an image back, created by Macrium Reflect, from a year ago.
> Now the problem is gone, it works OK again. I'll never know what was wrong.
> And now I'll get a lot of updates :-)
> But I'm glad it works.
>
> Fokke

Well,

After the Windows updates the problem is back again. Did it all for nothing.
I'm back at the beginning. Any suggestions?

Fokke

Re: No access to server

<usammd.nh4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78838&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78838

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 6 Mar 2024 20:20:17 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 20:20 UTC

Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> All of a sudden we got a weird problem. We have a local wired network
> with 2 W10 PC's and a W10 PC which acts as a server. On the server are
> maps with files, which are accessable from our PC's. From my PC I have
> access to all maps on the server. However, from the PC of my wife there
> was all of a sudden no access to the maps anymore. We got this error
> message when trying to open the map Files on the server (Z:):
> An error occurred while attempting to reconnect Z: to \\Server\Files.
> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. This
> connection has not been restored.

[As the problem is back after an update:]

Call me stupid, but from the error message, I deduce that the *local*
*device*, i.e drive letter Z, is already in use.

On the problem client (not the server) the Network Drive Z: should be
visible in File Explorer in the 'This PC' view. If so, right-click on
the Network Drive Z: and choose 'Disconnect'. Now do whatever you did
initially (i.e. probably a long time ago) to create Network Drive Z:,
i.e. 'Map network drive...'.

> I rebooted her PC and the server, it didn't solve it.
> On her PC I placed a system image back which I made with Macrium Reflect
> a month ago. After starting up again, the problem was still there. No
> maps are accessable. And, when opening the file explorer on her PC, it
> takes a long time to open.
> Do you have any suggestions how to solve this nasty problem?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> With regards,
> Fokke Nauta

Re: No access to server

<usajk1$jrfd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78839&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78839

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 20:27:18 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 20:27 UTC

Fokke Nauta wrote:
> On 06/03/2024 17:27, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> On 06/03/2024 14:20, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> All of a sudden we got a weird problem. We have a local wired network
>>> with 2 W10 PC's and a W10 PC which acts as a server. On the server
>>> are maps with files, which are accessable from our PC's. From my PC I
>>> have access to all maps on the server. However, from the PC of my
>>> wife there was all of a sudden no access to the maps anymore. We got
>>> this error message when trying to open the map Files on the server (Z:):
>>> An error occurred while attempting to reconnect Z: to \\Server\Files.
>>> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.
>>> This connection has not been restored.
>>>
>>> I rebooted her PC and the server, it didn't solve it.
>>> On her PC I placed a system image back which I made with Macrium
>>> Reflect a month ago. After starting up again, the problem was still
>>> there. No maps are accessable. And, when opening the file explorer on
>>> her PC, it takes a long time to open.
>>> Do you have any suggestions how to solve this nasty problem?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> With regards,
>>> Fokke Nauta
>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I got the problem solved.
>> I placed an image back, created by Macrium Reflect, from a year ago.
>> Now the problem is gone, it works OK again. I'll never know what was
>> wrong.
>> And now I'll get a lot of updates :-)
>> But I'm glad it works.
>>
>> Fokke
>
> Well,
>
> After the Windows updates the problem is back again. Did it all for
> nothing.
> I'm back at the beginning. Any suggestions?
>
> Fokke

You've proved that a MS update caused the problem. That's not back at
the beginning. Far from it. You can rule out any change you made personally.
And because MS caused it, there will be others across the Net who also
got hit. A good and well phrased Google search should contact them.

Ed

Re: No access to server

<791nbkxku8.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78840&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78840

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 21:45:59 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 20:45 UTC

On 2024-03-06 20:53, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> On 06/03/2024 17:27, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> On 06/03/2024 14:20, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> All of a sudden we got a weird problem. We have a local wired network
>>> with 2 W10 PC's and a W10 PC which acts as a server. On the server
>>> are maps with files, which are accessable from our PC's. From my PC I
>>> have access to all maps on the server. However, from the PC of my
>>> wife there was all of a sudden no access to the maps anymore. We got
>>> this error message when trying to open the map Files on the server (Z:):
>>> An error occurred while attempting to reconnect Z: to \\Server\Files.
>>> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.
>>> This connection has not been restored.
>>>
>>> I rebooted her PC and the server, it didn't solve it.
>>> On her PC I placed a system image back which I made with Macrium
>>> Reflect a month ago. After starting up again, the problem was still
>>> there. No maps are accessable. And, when opening the file explorer on
>>> her PC, it takes a long time to open.
>>> Do you have any suggestions how to solve this nasty problem?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> With regards,
>>> Fokke Nauta
>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I got the problem solved.
>> I placed an image back, created by Macrium Reflect, from a year ago.
>> Now the problem is gone, it works OK again. I'll never know what was
>> wrong.
>> And now I'll get a lot of updates :-)
>> But I'm glad it works.
>>
>> Fokke
>
> Well,
>
> After the Windows updates the problem is back again. Did it all for
> nothing.
> I'm back at the beginning. Any suggestions?

Try \\ip.add.res.s\Files.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: No access to server

<usam38$kddd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78841&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78841

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:09:58 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 21:09 UTC

On 3/6/2024 3:20 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> All of a sudden we got a weird problem. We have a local wired network
>> with 2 W10 PC's and a W10 PC which acts as a server. On the server are
>> maps with files, which are accessable from our PC's. From my PC I have
>> access to all maps on the server. However, from the PC of my wife there
>> was all of a sudden no access to the maps anymore. We got this error
>> message when trying to open the map Files on the server (Z:):
>> An error occurred while attempting to reconnect Z: to \\Server\Files.
>> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. This
>> connection has not been restored.
>
> [As the problem is back after an update:]
>
> Call me stupid, but from the error message, I deduce that the *local*
> *device*, i.e drive letter Z, is already in use.
>
> On the problem client (not the server) the Network Drive Z: should be
> visible in File Explorer in the 'This PC' view. If so, right-click on
> the Network Drive Z: and choose 'Disconnect'. Now do whatever you did
> initially (i.e. probably a long time ago) to create Network Drive Z:,
> i.e. 'Map network drive...'.

There is one example here.

https://www.makeuseof.com/local-device-name-already-in-use-error-windows/

Administrator.

net use # This dumps something

net use Z /delete

net use Z: \\server\share /user:username password

Paul

Re: No access to server

<usc1ql$vooi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78850&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78850

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 09:36:21 +0000
 by: wasbit - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 09:36 UTC

On 06/03/2024 18:52, Fokke Nauta wrote:

> snip
>
>> If you run
>>
>>     control.exe
>>
>> there are Troubleshooters you could attempt to use.
>> But these don't help every problem, so those
>> are a low percentage solution.
>>

> Wasn't aware about control.exe. Next time in case of a problem I will
> try this one.

Opens Control Panel
Troubleshooting/Network & Internet/Access Shared Files & Folders on
Other Computers

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: No access to server

<uscts5.1po.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78855&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78855

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 7 Mar 2024 16:35:07 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 16:35 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> On 3/6/2024 3:20 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> All of a sudden we got a weird problem. We have a local wired network
> >> with 2 W10 PC's and a W10 PC which acts as a server. On the server are
> >> maps with files, which are accessable from our PC's. From my PC I have
> >> access to all maps on the server. However, from the PC of my wife there
> >> was all of a sudden no access to the maps anymore. We got this error
> >> message when trying to open the map Files on the server (Z:):
> >> An error occurred while attempting to reconnect Z: to \\Server\Files.
> >> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. This
> >> connection has not been restored.
> >
> > [As the problem is back after an update:]
> >
> > Call me stupid, but from the error message, I deduce that the *local*
> > *device*, i.e drive letter Z, is already in use.
> >
> > On the problem client (not the server) the Network Drive Z: should be
> > visible in File Explorer in the 'This PC' view. If so, right-click on
> > the Network Drive Z: and choose 'Disconnect'. Now do whatever you did
> > initially (i.e. probably a long time ago) to create Network Drive Z:,
> > i.e. 'Map network drive...'.
> >

> There is one example here.
>
> https://www.makeuseof.com/local-device-name-already-in-use-error-windows/
>
> Administrator.
>
> net use # This dumps something
>
> net use Z /delete
>
> net use Z: \\server\share /user:username password

Good article and a nice set of commands. Hope it helps Fokke.

BTW, I hope Newyana2 isn't watching! Can't fix a problem with a couple
of commands, when you can fix it with umpteen clicks, can you!? :-)

Re: No access to server

<l4ugjmFai4oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78858&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78858

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 19:50:30 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:50 UTC

On 07/03/2024 17:35, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>>> [As the problem is back after an update:]
>>>
>>> Call me stupid, but from the error message, I deduce that the *local*
>>> *device*, i.e drive letter Z, is already in use.
>>>
>>> On the problem client (not the server) the Network Drive Z: should be
>>> visible in File Explorer in the 'This PC' view. If so, right-click on
>>> the Network Drive Z: and choose 'Disconnect'. Now do whatever you did
>>> initially (i.e. probably a long time ago) to create Network Drive Z:,
>>> i.e. 'Map network drive...'.
>>>

>> There is one example here.
>>
>> https://www.makeuseof.com/local-device-name-already-in-use-error-windows/
>>
>> Administrator.
>>
>> net use # This dumps something
>>
>> net use Z /delete
>>
>> net use Z: \\server\share /user:username password
>
> Good article and a nice set of commands. Hope it helps Fokke.
>
> BTW, I hope Newyana2 isn't watching! Can't fix a problem with a couple
> of commands, when you can fix it with umpteen clicks, can you!? :-)

Hi Frank,

I will try the suggestions from Paul tomorrow. And if it won't work, I
set an image back from a year ago again, and will not update Windows.

Fokke

Re: No access to server

<l50843Fil8gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78867&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78867

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 11:37:55 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:37 UTC

On 06/03/2024 22:09, Paul wrote:
> On 3/6/2024 3:20 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>> Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> All of a sudden we got a weird problem. We have a local wired network
>>> with 2 W10 PC's and a W10 PC which acts as a server. On the server are
>>> maps with files, which are accessable from our PC's. From my PC I have
>>> access to all maps on the server. However, from the PC of my wife there
>>> was all of a sudden no access to the maps anymore. We got this error
>>> message when trying to open the map Files on the server (Z:):
>>> An error occurred while attempting to reconnect Z: to \\Server\Files.
>>> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. This
>>> connection has not been restored.
>>
>> [As the problem is back after an update:]
>>
>> Call me stupid, but from the error message, I deduce that the *local*
>> *device*, i.e drive letter Z, is already in use.
>>
>> On the problem client (not the server) the Network Drive Z: should be
>> visible in File Explorer in the 'This PC' view. If so, right-click on
>> the Network Drive Z: and choose 'Disconnect'. Now do whatever you did
>> initially (i.e. probably a long time ago) to create Network Drive Z:,
>> i.e. 'Map network drive...'.
>>

> There is one example here.
>
> https://www.makeuseof.com/local-device-name-already-in-use-error-windows/
>
> Administrator.
>
> net use # This dumps something
>
> net use Z /delete
>
> net use Z: \\server\share /user:username password
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks.

I did:

net use

net use Z: /delete (that worked)

net use Z: \\Server\Files /user:"Fokke Nauta" xxx (where xxx stands for
the password). This did not work.

I placed a system image back from November. Now it worked again, but I
will definitively not update Windows.

Fokke

Re: No access to server

<l5087jFil8gU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78868&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78868

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 11:39:47 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:39 UTC

On 07/03/2024 17:35, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>>> [As the problem is back after an update:]
>>>
>>> Call me stupid, but from the error message, I deduce that the *local*
>>> *device*, i.e drive letter Z, is already in use.
>>>
>>> On the problem client (not the server) the Network Drive Z: should be
>>> visible in File Explorer in the 'This PC' view. If so, right-click on
>>> the Network Drive Z: and choose 'Disconnect'. Now do whatever you did
>>> initially (i.e. probably a long time ago) to create Network Drive Z:,
>>> i.e. 'Map network drive...'.
>>>

>> There is one example here.
>>
>> https://www.makeuseof.com/local-device-name-already-in-use-error-windows/
>>
>> Administrator.
>>
>> net use # This dumps something
>>
>> net use Z /delete
>>
>> net use Z: \\server\share /user:username password
>
> Good article and a nice set of commands. Hope it helps Fokke.
>
> BTW, I hope Newyana2 isn't watching! Can't fix a problem with a couple
> of commands, when you can fix it with umpteen clicks, can you!? :-)

Hi Frank,

Who is Newyana2? What is an umpteen click?

Fokke

Re: No access to server

<l508f8Fil8gU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78869&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78869

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 11:43:52 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:43 UTC

On 06/03/2024 14:20, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> All of a sudden we got a weird problem. We have a local wired network
> with 2 W10 PC's and a W10 PC which acts as a server. On the server are
> maps with files, which are accessable from our PC's. From my PC I have
> access to all maps on the server. However, from the PC of my wife there
> was all of a sudden no access to the maps anymore. We got this error
> message when trying to open the map Files on the server (Z:):
> An error occurred while attempting to reconnect Z: to \\Server\Files.
> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. This
> connection has not been restored.
>
> I rebooted her PC and the server, it didn't solve it.
> On her PC I placed a system image back which I made with Macrium Reflect
> a month ago. After starting up again, the problem was still there. No
> maps are accessable. And, when opening the file explorer on her PC, it
> takes a long time to open.
> Do you have any suggestions how to solve this nasty problem?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> With regards,
> Fokke Nauta

Hi all,

The problem is solved. I placed a system image back from November 2023,
and it works! I will definitively not update Windows anymore, because
one of the updates caused the problem.
Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

With kind regards,

Fokke

Re: No access to server

<usfg67.o98.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78871&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78871

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 8 Mar 2024 16:00:02 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:00 UTC

Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
> On 07/03/2024 17:35, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> >> There is one example here.
> >>
> >> https://www.makeuseof.com/local-device-name-already-in-use-error-windows/
> >>
> >> Administrator.
> >>
> >> net use # This dumps something
> >>
> >> net use Z /delete
> >>
> >> net use Z: \\server\share /user:username password
> >
> > Good article and a nice set of commands. Hope it helps Fokke.
> >
> > BTW, I hope Newyana2 isn't watching! Can't fix a problem with a couple
> > of commands, when you can fix it with umpteen clicks, can you!? :-)
>
> Hi Frank,
>
> Who is Newyana2? What is an umpteen click?

Newyana2 is a poster in this/these group(s) who doesn't like
command-line commands, thinks they're old-fashioned, should not be
needed, etc., etc.. Hence the tease ('plaagstoot') and the smiley.

Of course *both* command-line commands *and* GUIs (Grahical User
Interfaces) have their uses. If not, one or the other would cease to
exist and Microsoft would not be *adding* command-line commands over
time.

'Umpteen' means 'a lot of' (Dutch 'talloze'). Similar to 'a zillion',
etc..

<https://translate.google.com/details?sl=en&tl=nl&text=%20umpteen%0A%0A%0A%0A&op=translate>

Re: No access to server

<usfgg2.o98.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78872&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78872

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 8 Mar 2024 16:05:14 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:05 UTC

Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
> On 06/03/2024 22:09, Paul wrote:
[...]
> > There is one example here.
> >
> > https://www.makeuseof.com/local-device-name-already-in-use-error-windows/
> >
> > Administrator.
> >
> > net use # This dumps something
> >
> > net use Z /delete
> >
> > net use Z: \\server\share /user:username password
> >
> > Paul
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks.
>
> I did:
>
> net use
>
> net use Z: /delete (that worked)
>
> net use Z: \\Server\Files /user:"Fokke Nauta" xxx (where xxx stands for
> the password). This did not work.

Did you get an error message? If so, what did it say?

If you did not get an error message, then what does "This did not
work." mean, i.e. what did not work and did that give an error message
and if so which?

> I placed a system image back from November. Now it worked again, but I
> will definitively not update Windows.

Re: No access to server

<l510bkFlmh1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78873&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78873

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 18:31:32 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:31 UTC

On 08/03/2024 17:05, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
>> On 06/03/2024 22:09, Paul wrote:
> [...]
>>> There is one example here.
>>>
>>> https://www.makeuseof.com/local-device-name-already-in-use-error-windows/
>>>
>>> Administrator.
>>>
>>> net use # This dumps something
>>>
>>> net use Z /delete
>>>
>>> net use Z: \\server\share /user:username password
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I did:
>>
>> net use
>>
>> net use Z: /delete (that worked)
>>
>> net use Z: \\Server\Files /user:"Fokke Nauta" xxx (where xxx stands for
>> the password). This did not work.
>
> Did you get an error message? If so, what did it say?

Yes. It said: An error occurred while attempting to reconnect Z: to
\\Server\Files.

When I went on further, I got the message: Microsoft Windows Network:
The local device name is already in use. This connection has not been
restored.

Dir \\Server: The system cannot find the specified path.
Dir Z: Cannot find the network path.

> If you did not get an error message, then what does "This did not
> work." mean, i.e. what did not work and did that give an error message
> and if so which?
>
>> I placed a system image back from November. Now it worked again, but I
>> will definitively not update Windows.

Fokke

Re: No access to server

<l51114Flmh1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78874&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78874

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 18:43:00 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:43 UTC

On 08/03/2024 17:00, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:

>>> Good article and a nice set of commands. Hope it helps Fokke.
>>>
>>> BTW, I hope Newyana2 isn't watching! Can't fix a problem with a couple
>>> of commands, when you can fix it with umpteen clicks, can you!? :-)
>>
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> Who is Newyana2? What is an umpteen click?
>
> Newyana2 is a poster in this/these group(s) who doesn't like
> command-line commands, thinks they're old-fashioned, should not be
> needed, etc., etc.. Hence the tease ('plaagstoot') and the smiley.

Never heard from that!

> Of course *both* command-line commands *and* GUIs (Grahical User
> Interfaces) have their uses. If not, one or the other would cease to
> exist and Microsoft would not be *adding* command-line commands over
> time.

Command line commands can be very useful.

> 'Umpteen' means 'a lot of' (Dutch 'talloze'). Similar to 'a zillion',
> etc..

I thought umpteen clicks ment something special.

> <https://translate.google.com/details?sl=en&tl=nl&text=%20umpteen%0A%0A%0A%0A&op=translate>

Happily I am familiar with Google translate. I use it for these
newsgroups as well.
And according to your name you must be Dutch as well :-)

Fokke