Remember Darwin; building a better mousetrap merely results in smarter mice.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on Google Books

SubjectAuthor
* Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on GoogleOliver
+* Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on GoVanguardLH
> [...]
|   `- Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on GoHerbert Kleebauer
+* Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on Goknuttle
|+* Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on GoPeter Johnson
||`* Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on GoOliver
|| `* Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on GoPaul
||  `* Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on GoOliver
||   `- Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on GoCarlos E.R.
|`* Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on GoOliver
| `- Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on Goknuttle
`* Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on GoPeter Jason
 `* Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on GoOliver
  `- Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on GoPeter Jason

Pages:123
Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on Google Books

<s7vlckx7et.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79063&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79063

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.text.pdf,comp.editors,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing
pages on Google Books
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 15:21:16 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 14:21 UTC

On 2024-03-15 21:40, Oliver wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2024 09:46:06 -0700, "...w�񧱤� " <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
> wrote
>> - Macy's selling a product(book) at a discount below a price the
>> publisher claimed as a minimum price by insertion of the minimum price
>> notice in the book. The  Supreme Court ruled in Macy's favor, later
>> codified in the Copyright Act of 2009, which was later repealed and
>> superceded by the Copyright Act of 1976 but retained content
>> applicable to the earlier Supreme Court's Macy's ruling.
>
> https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/
> About Fair Use
>
> Fair use is a legal doctrine that promotes freedom of expression by
> permitting the unlicensed use of copyright-protected works in certain
> circumstances. Section 107 of the Copyright Act provides the statutory
> framework for determining whether something is a fair use and identifies
> certain types of uses-such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching,
> scholarship, and research-as examples of activities that may qualify as
> fair use. Section 107 calls for consideration of the following four factors
> in evaluating a question of fair use:

But they don't give you the right to download an entire book for free.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on Google Books

<acvlckx7et.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79064&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79064

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.text.pdf,comp.editors,alt.comp.os.windows-10
pages on Google Books
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 15:23:38 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 14:23 UTC

On 2024-03-13 22:48, Oliver wrote:
> On 13 Mar 2024 19:52:58 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote
>>> I was hoping to "sharpen" the image where I was hoping there is a PDF
>>> tool
>>> out there which does that - much like Irfanview sharpens a JPEG
>>> snapshot.
>>
>>   Why do you want/need to do the sharpening in "a PDF tool"? Why can't
>> you just sharpen the screenshots?
>
> I already tried that by snapping JPEG images in Irfanview and sharpening
> them and then converting them to PDF (as the final thing is a book).
>
> Your suggestion gave me an idea though, which is I can probably snapshot to
> GIF or BMP which can be set to not have image compression.
>
> Since it's a book of hundreds of pages, it might be better to snapshot as
> TIFF without compression and then combine all the TIFFs.
>
> I just ran a quick test in Irfanview and I was pleased to see the Irfanview
> sharpen command works on all three non-compression file formats.
>
> I wonder if the PDF experts know how to snapshot a screen to PDF at no
> compression? Is that even possible?

Why no compression? Compression is not the same as lossy.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Creating a PDF from Irfanview screenshots of a book with missing pages on Google Books

<2tvlckxq9u.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79065&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79065

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.text.pdf,comp.editors,alt.comp.os.windows-10
pages on Google Books
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 15:32:34 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 14:32 UTC

On 2024-03-15 02:31, Oliver wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 01:42:51 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote
>>> But it's tedious at best.
>>
>> It's 212 pages.
>
> A book could be any number of pages. There's no magic in the number 212.
>
> The script is designed for any book that you need to find, usually to quote
> a sentence or two in papers, where fair use is the domain it fits within.

Yes, but that doesn't entitle you to download for free the entire book.

You are entitled to read it online at a library, in a way similar to a
city or university library. You borrow the book, you can not copy it
legally.

Some can excuse the copy if the book is out of print and no one sells an
electronic copy.

--
Cheers, Carlos.