Interchangeable parts won't.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441

SubjectAuthor
* WinRE Partition - KB 5034441...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
`* Re: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441knuttle
 +* Re: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441sticks
 |`* Re: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441knuttle
 | `- Re: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
 `* Re: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
  `- Re: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441John Smith

1
WinRE Partition - KB 5034441

<utfghg$1mjlo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79109&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79109

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 13:22:06 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:22 UTC

Just an fyi.

The issues encountered with KB5034441 installing requiring
end-users(Consumer, Enterprise, SMB, Edu, Gov etc.) manual or a script:
=> Disable WinRE, shrink C, enlarge WinRE partition, enable WinRE
methods are and will remain the norm.

Support tickets in the Consumer and Enterprise community indicate that
Microsoft's not planning to do anything other than refer you to related
KB articles and available instructions and script.
==> i.e. they are not planning on automating the fix

For reference purposes...
KB5034441 - Windows Recovery Environment update for Windows 10, version
21H2 and 22H2: January 9, 2024
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5034441-windows-recovery-environment-update-for-windows-10-version-21h2-and-22h2-january-9-2024-62c04204-aaa5-4fee-a02a-2fdea17075a8>

KB5028997 - Instructions to manually resize your partition to install
the WinRE update
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bf>

Extending the WinRE partition
<https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-update-to-winre?view=windows-11#extend-the-windows-re-partition>

Note: While Bitlocker issues may come into play in updating with
KB5034441, the end result whether Bitlocker is in-play/not-in-play, the
above linked articles and manual or script methods when KB5034441 fails
to install will continue to be the only MSFT recommended information and
solution(s).

Could MSFT have dones a better job? Absolutely
Are they going to fix or improve upon the issue encountered in Win10
22H2/21H2? Apparently, not.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441

<utfrgk$1p6c6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79110&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79110

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 19:29:24 -0400
 by: knuttle - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 23:29 UTC

On 03/20/2024 4:22 PM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:

> Just an fyi.
>
> The issues encountered with KB5034441 installing requiring
> end-users(Consumer, Enterprise, SMB, Edu, Gov etc.) manual or a script:
>  => Disable WinRE, shrink C, enlarge WinRE partition, enable WinRE
> methods are and will remain the norm.
>
> Support tickets in the Consumer and Enterprise community indicate that
> Microsoft's not planning to do anything other than refer you to related
> KB articles and available instructions and script.
> ==> i.e. they are not planning on automating the fix
>
> For reference purposes...
> KB5034441 - Windows Recovery Environment update for Windows 10, version
> 21H2 and 22H2: January 9, 2024
> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5034441-windows-recovery-environment-update-for-windows-10-version-21h2-and-22h2-january-9-2024-62c04204-aaa5-4fee-a02a-2fdea17075a8>
>
> KB5028997 -  Instructions to manually resize your partition to install
> the WinRE update
> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bf>
>
> Extending the WinRE partition
> <https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-update-to-winre?view=windows-11#extend-the-windows-re-partition>
>
> Note: While Bitlocker issues may come into play in updating with
> KB5034441, the end result whether Bitlocker is in-play/not-in-play, the
> above linked articles and  manual or script methods when KB5034441 fails
> to install will continue to be the only MSFT recommended information and
> solution(s).
>
> Could MSFT have dones a better job? Absolutely
> Are they going to fix or improve upon the issue encountered in Win10
> 22H2/21H2?  Apparently, not.

This update was offered two days ago but failed to install on either of
my computers. The recover petition on a 1TB disk was significantly
larger that they said it should be expanded to. I tried several time
and it would not go.
Tonight when I read this post, I checked if there were any updates to
the laptop, thinking it would still be offered. There were no updates
to Widows 10 22H2 19045.4170.
I have not tried the desktop tonight. It has a 2TB drive.

Re: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441

<utfubo$1ptpr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79111&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79111

From: wolverine01@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 19:18:01 -0500
 by: sticks - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 00:18 UTC

On 3/20/2024 6:29 PM, knuttle wrote:
> On 03/20/2024 4:22 PM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>>
>> Just an fyi.
>>
>> The issues encountered with KB5034441 installing requiring
>> end-users(Consumer, Enterprise, SMB, Edu, Gov etc.) manual or a script:
>>   => Disable WinRE, shrink C, enlarge WinRE partition, enable WinRE
>> methods are and will remain the norm.
>>
>> Support tickets in the Consumer and Enterprise community indicate that
>> Microsoft's not planning to do anything other than refer you to
>> related KB articles and available instructions and script.
>> ==> i.e. they are not planning on automating the fix
>>
>> For reference purposes...
>> KB5034441 - Windows Recovery Environment update for Windows 10,
>> version 21H2 and 22H2: January 9, 2024
>> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5034441-windows-recovery-environment-update-for-windows-10-version-21h2-and-22h2-january-9-2024-62c04204-aaa5-4fee-a02a-2fdea17075a8>
>>
>> KB5028997 -  Instructions to manually resize your partition to install
>> the WinRE update
>> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bf>
>>
>> Extending the WinRE partition
>> <https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-update-to-winre?view=windows-11#extend-the-windows-re-partition>
>>
>> Note: While Bitlocker issues may come into play in updating with
>> KB5034441, the end result whether Bitlocker is in-play/not-in-play,
>> the above linked articles and  manual or script methods when KB5034441
>> fails to install will continue to be the only MSFT recommended
>> information and solution(s).
>>
>> Could MSFT have dones a better job? Absolutely
>> Are they going to fix or improve upon the issue encountered in Win10
>> 22H2/21H2?  Apparently, not.
>>

> This update was offered two days ago but failed to install on either of
> my computers.   The recover petition on a 1TB disk was significantly
> larger that they said it should be expanded to.  I tried several time
> and it would not go.
>
> Tonight when I read this post, I checked if there were any updates to
> the laptop, thinking it would still be offered.   There were no updates
> to Widows 10 22H2 19045.4170.

Did you check the installed updates option and see if it is listed as a
failed update?
From experience, if it has failed, there is no sense continuing to try
and install it. You must follow the steps above to get it done.

> I have not tried the desktop tonight.   It has a 2TB drive.

--
Stand With Israel!

Re: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441

<utfvbi$1q5a6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79112&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79112

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:34:59 -0400
 by: knuttle - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 00:34 UTC

On 03/20/2024 8:18 PM, sticks wrote:
> On 3/20/2024 6:29 PM, knuttle wrote:
>> On 03/20/2024 4:22 PM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>>>
>>> Just an fyi.
>>>
>>> The issues encountered with KB5034441 installing requiring
>>> end-users(Consumer, Enterprise, SMB, Edu, Gov etc.) manual or a script:
>>>   => Disable WinRE, shrink C, enlarge WinRE partition, enable WinRE
>>> methods are and will remain the norm.
>>>
>>> Support tickets in the Consumer and Enterprise community indicate
>>> that Microsoft's not planning to do anything other than refer you to
>>> related KB articles and available instructions and script.
>>> ==> i.e. they are not planning on automating the fix
>>>
>>> For reference purposes...
>>> KB5034441 - Windows Recovery Environment update for Windows 10,
>>> version 21H2 and 22H2: January 9, 2024
>>> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5034441-windows-recovery-environment-update-for-windows-10-version-21h2-and-22h2-january-9-2024-62c04204-aaa5-4fee-a02a-2fdea17075a8>
>>>
>>> KB5028997 -  Instructions to manually resize your partition to
>>> install the WinRE update
>>> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bf>
>>>
>>> Extending the WinRE partition
>>> <https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-update-to-winre?view=windows-11#extend-the-windows-re-partition>
>>>
>>> Note: While Bitlocker issues may come into play in updating with
>>> KB5034441, the end result whether Bitlocker is in-play/not-in-play,
>>> the above linked articles and  manual or script methods when
>>> KB5034441 fails to install will continue to be the only MSFT
>>> recommended information and solution(s).
>>>
>>> Could MSFT have dones a better job? Absolutely
>>> Are they going to fix or improve upon the issue encountered in Win10
>>> 22H2/21H2?  Apparently, not.
>>>

>> This update was offered two days ago but failed to install on either
>> of my computers.   The recover petition on a 1TB disk was
>> significantly larger that they said it should be expanded to.  I tried
>> several time and it would not go.
>>
>> Tonight when I read this post, I checked if there were any updates to
>> the laptop, thinking it would still be offered.   There were no
>> updates to Widows 10 22H2 19045.4170.
>
> Did you check the installed updates option and see if it is listed as a
> failed update?
> From experience, if it has failed, there is no sense continuing to try
> and install it.  You must follow the steps above to get it done.
>

>> I have not tried the desktop tonight.   It has a 2TB drive.

I am not going to mess with the partition size when the free space in
the partition the say to expand, is many times what MS want you to have.
IF MS wants the upgrade installs they will make it in stalled like all
of the other updates the make to "their" OS

Re: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441

<utg8a9$1vnmv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79113&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79113

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:07:49 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 03:07 UTC

knuttle wrote on 3/20/24 4:29 PM:
> On 03/20/2024 4:22 PM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>>
>> Just an fyi.
>>
>> The issues encountered with KB5034441 installing requiring
>> end-users(Consumer, Enterprise, SMB, Edu, Gov etc.) manual or a script:
>>   => Disable WinRE, shrink C, enlarge WinRE partition, enable WinRE
>> methods are and will remain the norm.
>>
>> Support tickets in the Consumer and Enterprise community indicate that
>> Microsoft's not planning to do anything other than refer you to related
>> KB articles and available instructions and script.
>> ==> i.e. they are not planning on automating the fix
>>
>> For reference purposes...
>> KB5034441 - Windows Recovery Environment update for Windows 10, version
>> 21H2 and 22H2: January 9, 2024
>> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5034441-windows-recovery-environment-update-for-windows-10-version-21h2-and-22h2-january-9-2024-62c04204-aaa5-4fee-a02a-2fdea17075a8>
>>

>> KB5028997 -  Instructions to manually resize your partition to install
>> the WinRE update
>> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bf>
>>

>> Extending the WinRE partition
>> <https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-update-to-winre?view=windows-11#extend-the-windows-re-partition>
>>

>> Note: While Bitlocker issues may come into play in updating with
>> KB5034441, the end result whether Bitlocker is in-play/not-in-play, the
>> above linked articles and  manual or script methods when KB5034441
>> fails to install will continue to be the only MSFT recommended
>> information and solution(s).
>>
>> Could MSFT have dones a better job? Absolutely
>> Are they going to fix or improve upon the issue encountered in Win10
>> 22H2/21H2?  Apparently, not.
>>

> This update was offered two days ago but failed to install on either of
> my computers.   The recover petition on a 1TB disk was significantly
> larger that they said it should be expanded to.  I tried several time and
> it would not go.
>
> Tonight when I read this post, I checked if there were any updates to the
> laptop, thinking it would still be offered.   There were no updates to
> Widows 10 22H2 19045.4170.
>
> I have not tried the desktop tonight.   It has a 2TB drive.
Not the size of the recovery partition, but the **free space**

Powershell admin session
reagentc /info

- will tell you the harddisk# and partition# of your WinRE partition
- it needs to be located after the o/s partition

Powershell admin session
Get-Volume

...will tell you the free space of the WinRE partition.

i.e. doesn't matter the size of the recovery partition or the size of the
SSD/HDD the o/s resides. What matters is the free space of the WinRE
partition and its location.

Report what you find. Nothing else is important at this stage.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441

<utg8ps$1vrd1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79114&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79114

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:16:10 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 03:16 UTC

knuttle wrote on 3/20/24 5:34 PM:
> On 03/20/2024 8:18 PM, sticks wrote:

>>> This update was offered two days ago but failed to install on either
>>> of my computers.   The recover petition on a 1TB disk was
>>> significantly larger that they said it should be expanded to.  I tried
>>> several time and it would not go.
>>>
>>> Tonight when I read this post, I checked if there were any updates to
>>> the laptop, thinking it would still be offered.   There were no
>>> updates to Widows 10 22H2 19045.4170.
>>
>> Did you check the installed updates option and see if it is listed as a
>> failed update?
>>  From experience, if it has failed, there is no sense continuing to try
>> and install it.  You must follow the steps above to get it done.
>>

>>> I have not tried the desktop tonight.   It has a 2TB drive.
>>
> I am not going to mess with the partition size when the free space in the
> partition the say to expand, is many times what MS want you to have.
>
> IF MS wants the upgrade installs they will make it in stalled like all of
> the other updates the make to "their" OS

See my other post for the correct Admin Powershell or Command prompt
session commands to determine that status of your device(s).

If WinRE *free space* is greater than 250 MB, preferably closer to 400
MB, and located *after* the o/s partition then something else is in play
on your device preventing a successful update.

Once the exact status of your device is known ruling out lack of
sufficient free space in WinRE partition and partition location(after the
os), then other methods to prepare the device for a normal update
attempt(via Windows Update) can be addressed.

Bottom line...there are only a few variables and conditions, all
important, to obtain a successful update of KB5034441.

-

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: WinRE Partition - KB 5034441

<8mjt0jtrjul4nrf8ek8mms973vmcaac5ia@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79469&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79469

From: crasso@nycap.rr.com (John Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 12:11:42 -0400
 by: John Smith - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 16:11 UTC

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:07:49 -0700, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Tonight when I read this post, I checked if there were any updates to the
>> laptop, thinking it would still be offered.   There were no updates to
>> Widows 10 22H2 19045.4170.
>>
>> I have not tried the desktop tonight.   It has a 2TB drive.
>Not the size of the recovery partition, but the **free space**
>
>Powershell admin session
>reagentc /info
>
> - will tell you the harddisk# and partition# of your WinRE partition
> - it needs to be located after the o/s partition
>
>Powershell admin session
>Get-Volume
>
>..will tell you the free space of the WinRE partition.
>
>i.e. doesn't matter the size of the recovery partition or the size of the
>SSD/HDD the o/s resides. What matters is the free space of the WinRE
>partition and its location.
>
>Report what you find. Nothing else is important at this stage.

I run a triple-boot of XP, Win7 and Win10. I cloned these partitions
onto an SSD, where they run ok. (though I don't enter XP except when
the boot enters it automatically to access its bcd for booting the
other two)

Win10 on the hard drive performed K5028997 just fine, I get the
ox80070643 error on the SSD version of Win10. Both Win10 partitions
show 180GB freespace after the partition. So it ain't that.

I am inclined to reclone that harddriveWin10 back up again to the ssd
with it's updates all done. Haven't done it yet as hope for a
resolution.