Dead? No excuse for laying off work.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names added without permission

SubjectAuthor
* Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names added wNomen Nescio
+* Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names addAlan Browne
|+* Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names addmicky
||+- Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names addYamn Remailer
||`* Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names addkelown
|| `* Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names addmicky
||  `- Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names addmicky
|`- Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names addNomen Nescio
`* Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names addanon
 `- Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names addNomen Nescio

1
Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names added without permission

<2371bfbeaf1f53dc1ed039253a9fc8de@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79108&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79108

From: nobody@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real
names added without permission
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:07:02 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10, alt.privacy, alt.privacy.anon-server,
comp.mobile.android, misc.phone.mobile.iphone
 by: Nomen Nescio - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:07 UTC

Glassdoor, the website that allows workers to anonymously complain about
their workplaces without fear of retribution, is reportedly revealing
staffers� real names in their profiles � prompting a viral backlash over
fears that their identities could be exposed.

The shift began last July when the site added social features integrated
from Fishbowl, an app for work-related discussions that Glassdoor�s parent
company, Recruit, acquired in 2021.

Signing up for an account on Glassdoor required workers to reveal their
full name, job title and employer � a departure from its previous practice
of just requiring email addresses but no names, according to Wired.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/20/business/glassdoor-users-urged-to-flee-site-
after-real-names-added/

Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names added without permission

<ZS3LN.140603$hN14.40694@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79124&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79124

Subject: Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters'
real names added without permission
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:00:57 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 00:00 UTC

On 2024-03-20 16:07, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> Signing up for an account on Glassdoor required workers to reveal their
> full name, job title and employer — a departure from its previous practice
> of just requiring email addresses but no names, according to Wired.

Why I use fake names, date of birth, anonymized e-mail addresses ...
(I've never posted on Glassdoor, however).

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names added without permission

<971158e7b019866208e33a63d4fe83ed@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79126&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79126

From: invalid@anon.com (anon)
real names added without permission
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 05:26:38 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10, alt.privacy, alt.privacy.anon-server,
comp.mobile.android, misc.phone.mobile.iphone
 by: anon - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 04:26 UTC

Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in

> Glassdoor, the website that allows workers to anonymously complain
> about their workplaces without fear of retribution, is reportedly
> revealing staffers� real names in their profiles � prompting a viral
> backlash over fears that their identities could be exposed.
>
> The shift began last July when the site added social features
> integrated from Fishbowl, an app for work-related discussions that
> Glassdoor�s parent company, Recruit, acquired in 2021.
>
> Signing up for an account on Glassdoor required workers to reveal
> their full name, job title and employer � a departure from its
> previous practice of just requiring email addresses but no names,
> according to Wired.
>
> https://nypost.com/2024/03/20/business/glassdoor-users-urged-to-flee-si
> te- after-real-names-added/

Obviously they want to sell revenge information to corporations.

Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names added without permission

<3d0o1jdmbs0lsb3hrcs5kglk67hni4tb4v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79642&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79642

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names added without permission
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 12:18:56 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:18 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:00:57 -0400, Alan
Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

>On 2024-03-20 16:07, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>>
>> Signing up for an account on Glassdoor required workers to reveal their
>> full name, job title and employer — a departure from its previous practice
>> of just requiring email addresses but no names, according to Wired.

Seems like this opens them up to an enormous lawsuit for lost wages,
health insurance, from up to hundreds of people.

>Why I use fake names, date of birth, anonymized e-mail addresses ...

Me too.

>(I've never posted on Glassdoor, however).

Me neither. I'm hoping to get a job someday.

Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names added without permission

<20240415.041505.eaf5ac78@erienetworks.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79652&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79652

DKIM-Filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 sept-huit.erienetworks.net 3039D40212
real names added without permission
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 04:15:05 -0400
From: remailer@domain.invalid (Yamn Remailer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10, alt.privacy, alt.privacy.anon-server,
comp.mobile.android, misc.phone.mobile.iphone
 by: Yamn Remailer - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:15 UTC

On Sun 14 Apr 2024 7:18 pm, micky wrote:
> Signing up for an account on Glassdoor required workers to reveal their
> full name, job title and employer —
and then pull down their pants, bend over, and spread their cheeks. And
the majority morons comply gladly. Attention citizens: It is safe and
effective!

Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names added without permission

<uviuv5$7mk9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79654&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79654

From: kelown@privacy.invalid (kelown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
real names added without permission
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 05:19:14 -0500
 by: kelown - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 10:19 UTC

>>> Signing up for an account on Glassdoor required workers to reveal their
>>> full name, job title and employer — a departure from its previous practice
>>> of just requiring email addresses but no names, according to Wired.
>
> Seems like this opens them up to an enormous lawsuit for lost wages,
> health insurance, from up to hundreds of people.
>>
>> Why I use fake names, date of birth, anonymized e-mail addresses ...

If Glassdoor is asking for a full name and employer name during
registration (for NEW accounts), why would there be a lawsuit if it's
revealed? How could it be "without permission" if the registrant gave
them the info?

Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names added without permission

<h5kr1jhq7ovcqs16t7scl2n9vc50lv1ud0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79658&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79658

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 21:18:06 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 01:18 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 15 Apr 2024 05:19:14 -0500, kelown
<kelown@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>> Seems like this opens them up to an enormous lawsuit for lost wages,
>> health insurance, from up to hundreds of people.
>>>
>>> Why I use fake names, date of birth, anonymized e-mail addresses ...
>
>If Glassdoor is asking for a full name and employer name during
>registration (for NEW accounts), why would there be a lawsuit if it's
>revealed? How could it be "without permission" if the registrant gave
>them the info?

Seriously? If the webpage said, "This info is only for our own records
and will not be revealed"*, then when the webpage says that and the user
signs up, a unilateral contract is created and the owners and staff of
the webpage have to live by what they said on the webpage.

**Often it will include, "except in response to a valid subpoena".

Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names added without permission

<061s1jl3nii26csehv9i3gjj7fh9nfh7in@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79659&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79659

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 01:03:19 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 05:03 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 15 Apr 2024 21:18:06 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>>> Seems like this opens them up to an enormous lawsuit for lost wages,
>>> health insurance, from up to hundreds of people.

>>If Glassdoor is asking for a full name and employer name during
>>registration (for NEW accounts), why would there be a lawsuit if it's
>>revealed? How could it be "without permission" if the registrant gave
>>them the info?
>
>Seriously? If the webpage said, "This info is only for our own records
>and will not be revealed"*, then when the webpage says that and the user
>signs up, a unilateral contract is created and the owners and staff of
>the webpage have to live by what they said on the webpage.
>
>**Often it will include, "except in response to a valid subpoena".

I was looking at the Freedom Boat Club, and this what it says its
privacy policy includes:

Exceptions: HOWEVER, Brunswick may also share information with other
third parties for the following purposes ONLY:

To comply with applicable law or legal process (including to law
enforcement authorities or other governmental officials)
When necessary to protect the vital interests of a person (including
to prevent physical harm, financial loss, and compliance with an
investigation of legal/ethical activity)
To enforce Brunswick policy and prevent fraud
To protect our property, services, and legal rights
In connection with a corporate merger, consolidation, restructuring,
sale, or other corporate change
https://www.brunswick.com/privacy-policy

This is pretty vague, and many other privacy policies are stronger than
this, but even this doesn't say they will release names because they've
changed their mind. Still, "to enforce Brunswick policy" is really
vague and non-comittal.

And previously it said "BRUNSWICK DOES NOT SELL PERSONAL INFORMATION". I
think that too is vague, ambiguous, or downright non-committal, because
it doesn't say they will never sell it.

I should go check out what glassdoor has promised. Or you could.

Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names added without permission

<uvl4pa$vm3$4@toxic.dizum.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79660&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79660

From: nobody@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
real names added without permission
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 23:10:53 -0700
 by: Nomen Nescio - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 06:10 UTC

On 3/21/2024 5:00 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2024-03-20 16:07, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>>
>> Signing up for an account on Glassdoor required workers to reveal their
>> full name, job title and employer — a departure from its previous
>> practice
>> of just requiring email addresses but no names, according to Wired.
>
> Why I use fake names, date of birth, anonymized e-mail addresses ...
> (I've never posted on Glassdoor, however).

Hate your job, no current other prospects, addicted to paycheck.

Re: Glassdoor meltdown as users urged to flee site after posters' real names added without permission

<uvl522$vm3$6@toxic.dizum.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79662&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79662

From: nobody@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
real names added without permission
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 23:15:34 -0700
 by: Nomen Nescio - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 06:15 UTC

On 3/21/2024 9:26 PM, anon wrote:
> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in
>
>> Glassdoor, the website that allows workers to anonymously complain
>> about their workplaces without fear of retribution, is reportedly
>> revealing staffers’ real names in their profiles — prompting a viral
>> backlash over fears that their identities could be exposed.
>>
>> The shift began last July when the site added social features
>> integrated from Fishbowl, an app for work-related discussions that
>> Glassdoor’s parent company, Recruit, acquired in 2021.
>>
>> Signing up for an account on Glassdoor required workers to reveal
>> their full name, job title and employer — a departure from its
>> previous practice of just requiring email addresses but no names,
>> according to Wired.
>>
>> https://nypost.com/2024/03/20/business/glassdoor-users-urged-to-flee-si
>> te- after-real-names-added/
>
> Obviously they want to sell revenge information to corporations.

Kiss your career goodbye.