The best way to accelerate a Macintoy is at 9.8 meters per second per second.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracks

SubjectAuthor
* Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracksWolf Greenblatt
+- Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracksMJP
`* Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracksMJP
 `* Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracksWolf Greenblatt
  `* Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracksMJP
   `* Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracksBill Bradshaw
    +- Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracksBernd Rose
    `* Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracksWolf Greenblatt
     `* Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracksBill Bradshaw
      `* Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracksWolf Greenblatt
       `* Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracksBill Bradshaw
        `- Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracksWolf Greenblatt

1
Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracks

<utj6g9$j1bu$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79127&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79127

From: wolf@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Subject: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracks
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 01:55:21 -0400
logging-data="623998"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 05:55 UTC

I hike random locations where I'd like to know if there is any free Windows
offline display and editing apps which import GPX tracks to display onto
an offline topographical map and then they allow editing of those GPX
tracks.

I know about the free online upload & editing of GPX tracks such as
caltopo, but I want an offline display and editing program, if it exists.

Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracks

<utjv4q$2u7lp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79133&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79133

From: KKK@KKK.NET (MJP)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:55:48 -0000
 by: MJP - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:55 UTC

Garmins basecamp with maps downloaded from your choice

"Wolf Greenblatt" wrote in message news:utj6g9$j1bu$1@news.samoylyk.net...

I hike random locations where I'd like to know if there is any free Windows
offline display and editing apps which import GPX tracks to display onto
an offline topographical map and then they allow editing of those GPX
tracks.

I know about the free online upload & editing of GPX tracks such as
caltopo, but I want an offline display and editing program, if it exists.

Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracks

<utjv6v$2u7v7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79134&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79134

From: KKK@KKK.NET (MJP)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:57:03 -0000
 by: MJP - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:57 UTC

link

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/software/basecamp/

"Wolf Greenblatt" wrote in message news:utj6g9$j1bu$1@news.samoylyk.net...

I hike random locations where I'd like to know if there is any free Windows
offline display and editing apps which import GPX tracks to display onto
an offline topographical map and then they allow editing of those GPX
tracks.

I know about the free online upload & editing of GPX tracks such as
caltopo, but I want an offline display and editing program, if it exists.

Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracks

<utk4c8$l4df$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79136&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79136

From: wolf@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 10:25:13 -0400
logging-data="692655"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 14:25 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:57:03 -0000, MJP wrote:

> https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/software/basecamp/
>
> "Wolf Greenblatt" wrote in message news:utj6g9$j1bu$1@news.samoylyk.net...
>
> I hike random locations where I'd like to know if there is any free Windows
> offline display and editing apps which import GPX tracks to display onto
> an offline topographical map and then they allow editing of those GPX
> tracks.
>
> I know about the free online upload & editing of GPX tracks such as
> caltopo, but I want an offline display and editing program, if it exists.

Thanks for the advice of the free Mac/Windows Garmin Basecamp software.
The installer is poorly written, as it doesn't ask where to go.
Later, I'll figure out how to move it to the D: drive later, if possible.

Here are the URLs for the freeware archives.
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/basecamp/
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435
https://download.garmin.com/software/BaseCamp_475.exe
Name: BaseCamp_475.exe
Size: 61931328 bytes (59 MiB)
SHA256: 12C753FC067ACB51B4A28CB01946EDFB6A2545E8865FA2A346689526AEBA30CA

I only just now installed it, but it did read in a GPX file.
It displayed it on a blank map without the Internet though.

So I don't know yet if Basecamp works offline with an underlying topo map.
Does it?

Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracks

<utk9bi$30mru$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79142&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79142

From: KKK@KKK.NET (MJP)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:50:09 -0000
 by: MJP - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:50 UTC

you need to get a map of the area needed

try https://extract.bbbike.org/

put the img file on a usb stick

"Wolf Greenblatt" wrote in message news:utk4c8$l4df$1@news.samoylyk.net...

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:57:03 -0000, MJP wrote:

> https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/software/basecamp/
>
> "Wolf Greenblatt" wrote in message
>
> I hike random locations where I'd like to know if there is any free
> Windows
> offline display and editing apps which import GPX tracks to display onto
> an offline topographical map and then they allow editing of those GPX
> tracks.
>
> I know about the free online upload & editing of GPX tracks such as
> caltopo, but I want an offline display and editing program, if it exists.

Thanks for the advice of the free Mac/Windows Garmin Basecamp software.
The installer is poorly written, as it doesn't ask where to go.
Later, I'll figure out how to move it to the D: drive later, if possible.

Here are the URLs for the freeware archives.
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/basecamp/
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435
https://download.garmin.com/software/BaseCamp_475.exe
Name: BaseCamp_475.exe
Size: 61931328 bytes (59 MiB)
SHA256: 12C753FC067ACB51B4A28CB01946EDFB6A2545E8865FA2A346689526AEBA30CA

I only just now installed it, but it did read in a GPX file.
It displayed it on a blank map without the Internet though.

So I don't know yet if Basecamp works offline with an underlying topo map.
Does it?

Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracks

<l65td9FbmnoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79145&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79145

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 09:28:07 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 17:28 UTC

MJP wrote:
> you need to get a map of the area needed
>
> try https://extract.bbbike.org/
>
> put the img file on a usb stick
>
> "Wolf Greenblatt" wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:57:03 -0000, MJP wrote:
>
>> https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/software/basecamp/
>>
>> "Wolf Greenblatt" wrote in message
>>
>> I hike random locations where I'd like to know if there is any free
>> Windows
>> offline display and editing apps which import GPX tracks to display
>> onto an offline topographical map and then they allow editing of
>> those GPX tracks.
>>
>> I know about the free online upload & editing of GPX tracks such as
>> caltopo, but I want an offline display and editing program, if it
>> exists.
>
> Thanks for the advice of the free Mac/Windows Garmin Basecamp
> software. The installer is poorly written, as it doesn't ask where to
> go. Later, I'll figure out how to move it to the D: drive later, if
> possible.
> Here are the URLs for the freeware archives.
> https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/basecamp/
> https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435
> https://download.garmin.com/software/BaseCamp_475.exe
> Name: BaseCamp_475.exe
> Size: 61931328 bytes (59 MiB)
> SHA256:
> 12C753FC067ACB51B4A28CB01946EDFB6A2545E8865FA2A346689526AEBA30CA
> I only just now installed it, but it did read in a GPX file.
> It displayed it on a blank map without the Internet though.
>
> So I don't know yet if Basecamp works offline with an underlying topo
> map. Does it?

The problem for you is you want free and you are probably not going to find
it offline. At one time Garmin released for pay TOPO U.S. 2008 and you need
something like this display topo maps in BaseCamp or Garmin Mapsource.. I
did see you may be able to purchase a copy of this from Ebay. You can use
GoogleEarth to display your track and then save the screen image.

I use an older pay program called OziExplorer which allows me to use topo
maps downloaded from the USGS site. I then use a free program to convert
the downloaded pdf file into a graphics format. Then you have to calibrate
the map in OziExplorer so your track will properly display. The simplest
answer for you is to purchase a a copy of Garmin TOPO U.S. 2008 and use
BaseCamp and MapSource. By the way what are you using to acquire your
track?

<Bill>

Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracks

<1kwt6eeftx478.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79152&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79152

Followup: sci.geo.satellite-nav
From: b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 19:32:50 +0100
 by: Bernd Rose - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 18:32 UTC

On Fri, 22nd Mar 2024 09:28:07 -0800, Bill Bradshaw wrote:

> The simplest answer for you is to purchase a a copy of
> Garmin TOPO U.S. 2008

Are you sure, this will still work? Garmin Topo Maps (as well as Garmin
PC software like Garmin Mobile PC) needed to be unlocked online. And
Garmin shut down their activation servers _ages_ ago. (Without the least
concern about and compassion with their paying customers...) We have
15 Topo2010 Germany here, which have been worthless junk since about
2013, IIRC.

I won't answer the original question by Wolf Greenblatt, btw. There's
a multitude of free solutions available. But US people will always start
whining about the offline maps not being original USGS topo. And if one
shows ways to convert these maps for offline use in free programs, they
find other reasons for complaints. (Too complicated scripts, too long
conversion time, and so on.) I'm really fed up with this nonsense. :-(

F-Up set to sgs-n.
(Garmin Topo has nothing to do with either freeware or Win10.
Although sci.geo... is a bit of a stretch, as well.)

Bernd

Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracks

<utl2p6$n4gh$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79155&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79155

From: wolf@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 19:04:07 -0400
logging-data="758289"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 23:04 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 09:28:07 -0800, Bill Bradshaw wrote:

>> So I don't know yet if Basecamp works offline with an underlying topo
>> map. Does it?
>
> The problem for you is you want free and you are probably not going to find
> it offline. At one time Garmin released for pay TOPO U.S. 2008 and you need
> something like this display topo maps in BaseCamp or Garmin Mapsource.. I
> did see you may be able to purchase a copy of this from Ebay. You can use
> GoogleEarth to display your track and then save the screen image.
>
> I use an older pay program called OziExplorer which allows me to use topo
> maps downloaded from the USGS site. I then use a free program to convert
> the downloaded pdf file into a graphics format. Then you have to calibrate
> the map in OziExplorer so your track will properly display. The simplest
> answer for you is to purchase a a copy of Garmin TOPO U.S. 2008 and use
> BaseCamp and MapSource.

I think maps from the USGS site are already geo calibrated so there's no
need to convert (with gpsbabel or the like) to use inside most programs.

But it seems ozi explorer uses a different than normal native format
which has to be separately geo calibrated so that every point is known.
https://www.oziexplorer4.com/img2ozf/img2ozf.html

Luckily ozi seems to supply a converter from geo pdf to ozi native OZF4.
https://www.oziexplorer4.com/img2ozf/img2ozf_setup.exe

Although they also suppy another converter to convert to geo TIFF is seems.
http://www.oziexplorer3.com/utils/image_convert.zip

They suggest GPSbabel for track conversion into ozi explorer plt tracks.
https://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html

Which allows starting from the geo pdf calibrated USGS topo maps.
https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/launch/

The ozi explorer web page touts that version Version 3.95.6f supports
internet maps such as Open Street Map, Google Maps & USA Terraserver Maps
https://www.oziexplorer4.com/eng/internet_maps.html

I installed the suggested free program from http://www.oziexplorer.com/
https://www.oziexplorer4.com/eng/downloads/395/oziexp_setup.exe
Name: oziexp_setup.exe
Size: 8790316 bytes (8584 KiB)
SHA256: 0B8C511B92CF0A4CCA245AC7B306687B159652D0AB312642910DCB790877EECB

> By the way what are you using to acquire your track?

I'm using the normal open source GPS logger for Android from BasicAirData.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.basicairdata.graziano.gpslogger

But I noticed this oziexplorer freeware also has an offline Android app.
https://www.oziexplorer4.com/android/oziexplorer_android.html

Is this about the right sequence to use those USGS geo PDFs with ozi?
1. Convert USGS geo PDF maps to native ozi explorer geo TIF files
2. Convert your GPX tracks to native ozi explorer plt tracks
3. Display the converted plt track on the ozi TIFF or OZF4 topo map

I only used ozi explorer on Android & Windows for a few minutes so I may
have some of that wrong as ozi does things different than most apps do.

But did I get anything wrong above in what I surmised from the ozi site?

Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracks

<l68f6bFnkd2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79178&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79178

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 08:43:53 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 16:43 UTC

Wolf Greenblatt wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 09:28:07 -0800, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>
>>> So I don't know yet if Basecamp works offline with an underlying
>>> topo map. Does it?
>>
>> The problem for you is you want free and you are probably not going
>> to find it offline. At one time Garmin released for pay TOPO U.S.
>> 2008 and you need something like this display topo maps in BaseCamp
>> or Garmin Mapsource.. I did see you may be able to purchase a copy
>> of this from Ebay. You can use GoogleEarth to display your track
>> and then save the screen image.
>>
>> I use an older pay program called OziExplorer which allows me to use
>> topo maps downloaded from the USGS site. I then use a free program
>> to convert the downloaded pdf file into a graphics format. Then you
>> have to calibrate the map in OziExplorer so your track will properly
>> display. The simplest answer for you is to purchase a a copy of
>> Garmin TOPO U.S. 2008 and use BaseCamp and MapSource.
>
> I think maps from the USGS site are already geo calibrated so there's
> no need to convert (with gpsbabel or the like) to use inside most
> programs.
>
> But it seems ozi explorer uses a different than normal native format
> which has to be separately geo calibrated so that every point is
> known. https://www.oziexplorer4.com/img2ozf/img2ozf.html
>
> Luckily ozi seems to supply a converter from geo pdf to ozi native
> OZF4. https://www.oziexplorer4.com/img2ozf/img2ozf_setup.exe
>
> Although they also suppy another converter to convert to geo TIFF is
> seems. http://www.oziexplorer3.com/utils/image_convert.zip
>
> They suggest GPSbabel for track conversion into ozi explorer plt
> tracks. https://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html
>
> Which allows starting from the geo pdf calibrated USGS topo maps.
> https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/launch/
>
> The ozi explorer web page touts that version Version 3.95.6f supports
> internet maps such as Open Street Map, Google Maps & USA Terraserver
> Maps https://www.oziexplorer4.com/eng/internet_maps.html
>
> I installed the suggested free program from
> http://www.oziexplorer.com/
> https://www.oziexplorer4.com/eng/downloads/395/oziexp_setup.exe
> Name: oziexp_setup.exe
> Size: 8790316 bytes (8584 KiB)
> SHA256:
> 0B8C511B92CF0A4CCA245AC7B306687B159652D0AB312642910DCB790877EECB
>
>> By the way what are you using to acquire your track?
>
> I'm using the normal open source GPS logger for Android from
> BasicAirData.
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.basicairdata.graziano.gpslogger
>
> But I noticed this oziexplorer freeware also has an offline Android
> app. https://www.oziexplorer4.com/android/oziexplorer_android.html
>
> Is this about the right sequence to use those USGS geo PDFs with ozi?
> 1. Convert USGS geo PDF maps to native ozi explorer geo TIF files
> 2. Convert your GPX tracks to native ozi explorer plt tracks

I assume you using Ozi to import your GPX files. It is under the Load
Button.

> 3. Display the converted plt track on the ozi TIFF or OZF4 topo map

There are a lot of other things you can do. If you download and install
DEMs you can plot your trail profile and also other info.

> I only used ozi explorer on Android & Windows for a few minutes so I
> may have some of that wrong as ozi does things different than most
> apps do.
>
> But did I get anything wrong above in what I surmised from the ozi
> site?

You definitely got everything. I do not remember how many calibration
points the converter puts in the *.map file but you can always add
calibration points through the program (maybe only registered?). I always
use at least 4 points with one at each map corner. If you get into this you
probably will move on to stitching usge maps together. That is a whole new
process.

I do have the android version on my phone.

<Bill>

Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracks

<utqhf7$14qhn$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79192&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79192

From: wolf@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 20:45:27 -0400
logging-data="1206839"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 00:45 UTC

On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 08:43:53 -0800, Bill Bradshaw wrote:

>> Is this about the right sequence to use those USGS geo PDFs with ozi?
>> 1. Convert USGS geo PDF maps to native ozi explorer geo TIF files
>> 2. Convert your GPX tracks to native ozi explorer plt tracks
>
> I assume you using Ozi to import your GPX files.
> It is under the Load Button.

Thanks for the advice where there isn't a direct "Load" button in Windows
OziExplorer 3.95.6f but there is a "File > Load from file" which can take a
plt track or a wpt file but not a gpx track (and a evt and txt file too).

There is an import though for GPX & KML in the OziExplorer 3.95.6f menu.
"File > Load from file > Import GPX file"

I imported the GPX file output by the Android BasicAirData GPS Logger app.
Now I just have to put a geotagged topo map underneath as the map data.

>> 3. Display the converted plt track on the ozi TIFF or OZF4 topo map
>
> There are a lot of other things you can do. If you download and install
> DEMs you can plot your trail profile and also other info.

Thanks for the advice where I just now had to look up what "DEMs" means.
https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/offline_dem_data_map

The main thing I want to do is display (and edit) the tracks saved by the
Android open source gps logger app offline on Windows (or on Android).

To display the tracks on a map, I downloaded custom USGS topo areas.
https://www.usgs.gov/tools/national-map-viewer
But I also downloaded specific USGS topo quadrangles.
https://apps.nationalmap.gov/downloader/

That provided me with georeferenced topo PDFs using the instructions here.
https://apps.nationalmap.gov/help/The%20National%20Map%20Viewer%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.htm

Since OziExplorer won't seem to take georeferenced PDFs, I used the
converter on the web site to convert them to georeferenced TIFFs.
./image_convert/ImageConvertOzi.exe
Which ran the following command in the Windows command window.
.\gdal_translate -of GTiff -co COMPRESS=LZW -co "TFW=YES"
"c:\ozi\usgs01.pdf" "c:\ozi\\ozi_converted\usgs01.tif"
.\gdal_translate -of GTiff -co COMPRESS=LZW -co "TFW=YES"
"c:\ozi\usgs02.pdf" "c:\ozi\ozi_converted\usgs02.tif"

Thankfully all USGS PDF topographic maps are easy to calibrate because each
corner is already marked with the DMS geolocated latitude and longitude.

Where an added complication was OziExplorer expects degrees decimal minutes
which necessitated an additional conversion when stitching TIFs together.

I was then able to load the TIF into OziExplorer Click to calibrate.
File > Load & Calibrate Map Image

At that point I needed to upload the GPX tracks but I didn't know about
your suggestion that OziExplorer would upload GPX tracks directly.

So I had already run GpsBabel to convert the GPX track into PLT tracks.

>> I only used ozi explorer on Android & Windows for a few minutes so I
>> may have some of that wrong as ozi does things different than most
>> apps do.
>>
>> But did I get anything wrong above in what I surmised from the ozi
>> site?
>
> You definitely got everything. I do not remember how many calibration
> points the converter puts in the *.map file but you can always add
> calibration points through the program (maybe only registered?). I always
> use at least 4 points with one at each map corner. If you get into this you
> probably will move on to stitching usge maps together. That is a whole new
> process.

The stitching wasn't that much of a problem nor was the calibration (other
than having to convert from USGS DMS to OziExplorer DdM for no good reason)
but it is odd so many special formats are needed just to use OziExplorer.

Do you know why OziExplorer natively uses PLT instead of GPX tracks?
Or why OziExplorer natively uses geocalibrated TIFF/BMP instead of geoPDFs?

Also I found out later that I could use Google topographical maps instead
of USGS topographical maps, but Google's topo maps are terribly inaccurate.
https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/using-google-maps-with-oziexplorer.269922/
So it's just nice to know but Google maps can't compete with the USGS maps.

> I do have the android version on my phone.

I did install the Android OziExplorer APK whose interface showed a colorful
world map (of Africa & Europe) but it wouldn't even scroll to the Americas.

So I killed it and decided to concentrate first on the PC software tools.

Thanks for your advice as I've only used OziExplorer for a total of about
an hour or two but I can see, after all the tedious conversions, it can be
useful software for displaying tracks on an underlying USGS geoTIFF
composite which is available for from the USGS for anywhere in the USA.

I never did get the GPX to show unless I converted GPX to the PLT format.

Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracks

<l6dpbrFhvpnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79194&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79194

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 09:08:09 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:08 UTC

Wolf Greenblatt wrote:

> Do you know why OziExplorer natively uses PLT instead of GPX tracks?

I do not really know the answer. Maybe it uses PLT because it adds info to
the PLT that is not contained in the GPX.

> Or why OziExplorer natively uses geocalibrated TIFF/BMP instead of
> geoPDFs?

I do not know except people use maps that are not geoPDFs. So maybe the
extra programming was not worth it to them.

> I did install the Android OziExplorer APK whose interface showed a
> colorful world map (of Africa & Europe) but it wouldn't even scroll
> to the Americas.
>
> So I killed it and decided to concentrate first on the PC software
> tools.

You use the tiff and map files you created with OziExplorer with the Android
version. I store them on the sd in my phone.

Under the 3D/Elevation menu bar selection are a couple of options to
download the STRM elevation data. This is what I use. I have not tried for
years whether these options still work. They also may only be available in
the registered version.

You definitely are on the right course and just need to keep experimenting.

There is also Oziexplorer@groups.io that people answer questions on. You do
have to join.

<Bill>

Re: Windows freeware for offline editing uploaded GPX tracks

<utshur$19cb8$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=79195&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#79195

From: wolf@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 15:06:03 -0400
logging-data="1356136"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 19:06 UTC

On Mon, 25 Mar 2024 09:08:09 -0800, Bill Bradshaw wrote:

>> Or why OziExplorer natively uses geocalibrated TIFF/BMP instead of
>> geoPDFs?
>
> I do not know except people use maps that are not geoPDFs. So maybe the
> extra programming was not worth it to them.

Thanks. What I want is completely offline GPX track viewing & editing.

You would think every topo map program would handle geocalibrated PDFs
since every single inch of the USA has a free detailed geoPDF, most dating
back to more than a hundred years & constantly forever updated ever since.
https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-do-i-find-and-download-us-topo-and-historical-topographic-htmc-maps

Every single state & federal park (hundreds of them) in the USA even has
their own free geocalibrated PDF, so at least in the USA geoPDF is king.
https://www.outerspatial.com/

That free app containing geocalibrated US Parks maps is on both platforms.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trailheadlabs.outerspatial
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/outerspatial/id1254161962

>> I did install the Android OziExplorer APK whose interface showed a
>> colorful world map (of Africa & Europe) but it wouldn't even scroll
>> to the Americas.
>>
>> So I killed it and decided to concentrate first on the PC software
>> tools.
>
> You use the tiff and map files you created with OziExplorer with the Android
> version. I store them on the sd in my phone.

Oh. So that's what it's supposed to use! I did not know that. Thanks.
Sorry for being dense in not realizing that trick. Much appreciated.

The beauty of the USA is every inch has a free topographic map for it.
https://www.usgs.gov/node/25175

> Under the 3D/Elevation menu bar selection are a couple of options to
> download the STRM elevation data. This is what I use. I have not tried for
> years whether these options still work. They also may only be available in
> the registered version.

Thanks for that elevation data, where I was going to get it from here.
https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
But I haven't tried any of those custom map images with DEM data yet.

> You definitely are on the right course and just need to keep experimenting.
>
> There is also Oziexplorer@groups.io that people answer questions on. You do
> have to join.

Thanks. I also downloaded and installed a few other programs to test out.

Basecamp
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/basecamp/

Mobac
https://mobac.sourceforge.io/

OpenOrienteering
https://github.com/OpenOrienteering/mapper/

QField
https://github.com/opengisch/QField

Quantum QGis
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html

When I'm done testing these out, I hope to be able to do the following:
1. Load and view geo calibrated topo maps fully offline on the PC
2. Draw planned routes using an offline PC or Android tool
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lcxventures.gpxlab.app
3. Save performed GPX tracks using open source cellphone apps such as
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.basicairdata.graziano.gpslogger
4. Edit saved or drawn routes using an offline PC tool with topo maps
5. In the bush, route using those drawn tracks using a verbal routing tool

Do you know of Android software that verbally keeps you on a track?

Googling, I found a few that I need to install to test out in the bush.
https://bikegpx.com/
https://www.rungoapp.com/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pcability.biketracker

Where my plan is to go on a hike using only a compass, map and dead
reckoning (without following any trails) and then to bring back the GPX
track to then display & edit on an offline map to plan the next trip.

Given this isn't generally what most people do, any helpful advice is
always greatly appreciated, as I'm aware most people stay on the trail
(where you don't need any software as you can't possibly ever get lost).