You had mail, but the super-user read it, and deleted it!

computers / alt.folklore.computers / Conspiracy Theory?

SubjectAuthor
* Conspiracy Theory?JYA Fan
`* Conspiracy Theory?Kerr-Mudd, John
 `* Conspiracy Theory?maus
  +- Conspiracy Theory?Charlie Gibbs
  `* Conspiracy Theory?D.J.
   +* Conspiracy Theory?Peter Flass
   |`- Conspiracy Theory?Scott Lurndal
   +- Conspiracy Theory?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
   `* Conspiracy Theory?Darren Darko
    `* Conspiracy Theory?D.J.
     `- Conspiracy Theory?OldbieOne

1
Conspiracy Theory?

<ttn4kj$655$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8566&group=alt.folklore.computers#8566

From: nobody@spam.invalid (JYA Fan)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Conspiracy Theory?
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 03:10:20 -0600
 by: JYA Fan - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 09:10 UTC

Does anyone remember this guy? He's still kicking.

"Well, conspiracy theory was invented by the spies. No one does more
more conspiracy theory than spies do. The national security apparatus
cooks up conspiracy theories all the time, but they put out this story
that is just conspiracy theory, as though it's contemptible. But in
fact, they're the ones who cook up the threats that are far more complex
and bizarre than anything we ordinary people could ever cook up and they
get billions to fight it. So they're almost diabolically
conspiratorially. So let me call myself a sceptic and I'm willing to
learn, welcome criticism. I don't mind these terms of being a dissident,
a conspiracy theorist. Those are all throwaway terms." (interview with
RT Jan 2, 2011) -- John Young, https://cryptome.org

Re: Conspiracy Theory?

<20230301103651.eb33b5b4c9fc919ab8f652c4@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8569&group=alt.folklore.computers#8569

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Conspiracy Theory?
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 10:36:51 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 10:36 UTC

On Wed, 1 Mar 2023 03:10:20 -0600
JYA Fan <nobody@spam.invalid> wrote:

> Does anyone remember this guy? He's still kicking.
>
> "Well, conspiracy theory was invented by the spies. No one does more
> more conspiracy theory than spies do. The national security apparatus
> cooks up conspiracy theories all the time, but they put out this story
> that is just conspiracy theory, as though it's contemptible. But in
> fact, they're the ones who cook up the threats that are far more complex
> and bizarre than anything we ordinary people could ever cook up and they
> get billions to fight it. So they're almost diabolically
> conspiratorially. So let me call myself a sceptic and I'm willing to
> learn, welcome criticism. I don't mind these terms of being a dissident,
> a conspiracy theorist. Those are all throwaway terms." (interview with
> RT Jan 2, 2011) -- John Young, https://cryptome.org

Sounds like a metaconspiracy; I favour the one about the UFO scares
being a coverup/justification for US secret military aircraft
research.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Conspiracy Theory?

<k68pdbF7668U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8570&group=alt.folklore.computers#8570

From: maus@mail.com (maus)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: 1 Mar 2023 10:57:47 GMT
 by: maus - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 10:57 UTC

On 2023-03-01, Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Mar 2023 03:10:20 -0600
> JYA Fan <nobody@spam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone remember this guy? He's still kicking.
>>
>> "Well, conspiracy theory was invented by the spies. No one does more
>> more conspiracy theory than spies do. The national security apparatus
>> cooks up conspiracy theories all the time, but they put out this story
>> that is just conspiracy theory, as though it's contemptible. But in
>> fact, they're the ones who cook up the threats that are far more complex
>> and bizarre than anything we ordinary people could ever cook up and they
>> get billions to fight it. So they're almost diabolically
>> conspiratorially. So let me call myself a sceptic and I'm willing to
>> learn, welcome criticism. I don't mind these terms of being a dissident,
>> a conspiracy theorist. Those are all throwaway terms." (interview with
>> RT Jan 2, 2011) -- John Young, https://cryptome.org
>
> Sounds like a metaconspiracy; I favour the one about the UFO scares
> being a coverup/justification for US secret military aircraft
> research.

Seems likely to me, too. The Seti thing, as I remember, found nothing?.

--
greymausg@mail.com
where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: Conspiracy Theory?

<8TPLL.243395$Ldj8.46332@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8581&group=alt.folklore.computers#8581

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
From: cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 21:57:24 GMT
 by: Charlie Gibbs - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 21:57 UTC

On 2023-03-01, maus <maus@mail.com> wrote:

> On 2023-03-01, Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 1 Mar 2023 03:10:20 -0600
>> JYA Fan <nobody@spam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone remember this guy? He's still kicking.
>>>
>>> "Well, conspiracy theory was invented by the spies. No one does more
>>> more conspiracy theory than spies do. The national security apparatus
>>> cooks up conspiracy theories all the time, but they put out this story
>>> that is just conspiracy theory, as though it's contemptible. But in
>>> fact, they're the ones who cook up the threats that are far more complex
>>> and bizarre than anything we ordinary people could ever cook up and they
>>> get billions to fight it. So they're almost diabolically
>>> conspiratorially. So let me call myself a sceptic and I'm willing to
>>> learn, welcome criticism. I don't mind these terms of being a dissident,
>>> a conspiracy theorist. Those are all throwaway terms." (interview with
>>> RT Jan 2, 2011) -- John Young, https://cryptome.org
>>
>> Sounds like a metaconspiracy; I favour the one about the UFO scares
>> being a coverup/justification for US secret military aircraft
>> research.
>
> Seems likely to me, too. The Seti thing, as I remember, found nothing?.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life
exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has
tried to contact us.
-- Calvin and Hobbes

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | You can't save the earth
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | unless you're willing to

Re: Conspiracy Theory?

<aeqe0i92n0ta5gl8kl5b08u5o8gs32enc5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8590&group=alt.folklore.computers#8590

From: chucktheouch@gmnol.com (D.J.)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 10:44:41 -0600
 by: D.J. - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 16:44 UTC

On 1 Mar 2023 10:57:47 GMT, maus <maus@mail.com> wrote:
>On 2023-03-01, Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Mar 2023 03:10:20 -0600
>> JYA Fan <nobody@spam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone remember this guy? He's still kicking.
>>>
>>> "Well, conspiracy theory was invented by the spies. No one does more
>>> more conspiracy theory than spies do. The national security apparatus
>>> cooks up conspiracy theories all the time, but they put out this story
>>> that is just conspiracy theory, as though it's contemptible. But in
>>> fact, they're the ones who cook up the threats that are far more complex
>>> and bizarre than anything we ordinary people could ever cook up and they
>>> get billions to fight it. So they're almost diabolically
>>> conspiratorially. So let me call myself a sceptic and I'm willing to
>>> learn, welcome criticism. I don't mind these terms of being a dissident,
>>> a conspiracy theorist. Those are all throwaway terms." (interview with
>>> RT Jan 2, 2011) -- John Young, https://cryptome.org
>>
>> Sounds like a metaconspiracy; I favour the one about the UFO scares
>> being a coverup/justification for US secret military aircraft
>> research.
>>

>Seems likely to me, too. The Seti thing, as I remember, found nothing?.

They keep looking. There was the Wow signal last century. They have
pointed radio telescopes to that location, no repeat.
--
Jim

Re: Conspiracy Theory?

<681183998.699906172.739956.peter_flass-yahoo.com@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8591&group=alt.folklore.computers#8591

From: peter_flass@yahoo.com (Peter Flass)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 11:23:42 -0700
sha1:dAu+4E18Yi6J6uqiC5HKtH4w6d0=
 by: Peter Flass - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 18:23 UTC

D.J. <chucktheouch@gmnol.com> wrote:
> On 1 Mar 2023 10:57:47 GMT, maus <maus@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 2023-03-01, Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>>> Sounds like a metaconspiracy; I favour the one about the UFO scares
>>> being a coverup/justification for US secret military aircraft
>>> research.
>>>

>> Seems likely to me, too. The Seti thing, as I remember, found nothing?.

They’ve SAID they found nothing.

> They keep looking. There was the Wow signal last century. They have
> pointed radio telescopes to that location, no repeat.

--
Pete

Re: Conspiracy Theory?

<XQLNL.1044669$Tcw8.757711@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8592&group=alt.folklore.computers#8592

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 19:00:07 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 19:00 UTC

Peter Flass <peter_flass@yahoo.com> writes:
>D.J. <chucktheouch@gmnol.com> wrote:

>>> Seems likely to me, too. The Seti thing, as I remember, found nothing?.
>
>They’ve SAID they found nothing.

That kind of secret is not "keepable".

Consider the scale of the Universe, the number of galaxies,
solar systems, planets - combine that with the fact that any
signals that we can detect proceed at lightspeed; most of
what we see or hear today occurred millions or billions of years ago;
the chances of our detecting another civilization are tiny.

Re: Conspiracy Theory?

<20230307201434.72569f46ca658c3af8c0673a@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8593&group=alt.folklore.computers#8593

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 20:14:34 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 20:14 UTC

On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 10:44:41 -0600
D.J. <chucktheouch@gmnol.com> wrote:

> They keep looking. There was the Wow signal last century. They have
> pointed radio telescopes to that location, no repeat.

If we do find anything it means the galaxy is positively crawling
with intelligent life. If we ever meet anyone else then intelligent life
has to be amazingly common.

There are a hundred billion (US) stars in the galaxy, which means
there's room for a hundred thousand interstellar civilisations spanning a
million stars each (council halls the size of Dublin!) without them sharing
a single system. Piers Anthony had a civilisation called Thousandstar
because it spanned a thousand star systems - there's room for a hundred
million of those in our galaxy at once. If there are only a million of
them the chances are that none are close enough to detect.

It's also worth considering that on the timescale of billions of
years species tend to only hang around for a million or so.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Conspiracy Theory?

<6407B370.4799.news.afc@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8594&group=alt.folklore.computers#8594

From: darren.darko@realitycheckbbs.org.remove-ohh-this (Darren Darko)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 13:58:08 -0800
 by: Darren Darko - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 21:58 UTC

To: D.J.
Re: Re: Conspiracy Theory?
By: D.J. to alt.folklore.computers on Tue Mar 07 2023 10:44 am

> > Seems likely to me, too. The Seti thing, as I remember, found nothing?.

They did, indeed, find something.

They found out that tens of thousands of id10ts would install an closed source distributed client application and leave their machines running overnight for absolutely nothing ;)
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* realitycheckBBS - Aptos, CA - telnet://realitycheckbbs.org

Re: Conspiracy Theory?

<hmbh0ipr9vq5oq00cb991l5c8clm4gmku7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8595&group=alt.folklore.computers#8595

From: chucktheouch@gmnol.com (D.J.)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 09:50:53 -0600
 by: D.J. - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 15:50 UTC

On Tue, 7 Mar 2023 13:58:08 -0800, "Darren Darko"
<darren.darko@realitycheckbbs.org.remove-ohh-this> wrote:
> To: D.J.
> Re: Re: Conspiracy Theory?
> By: D.J. to alt.folklore.computers on Tue Mar 07 2023 10:44 am
>
> > > Seems likely to me, too. The Seti thing, as I remember, found nothing?.
>
>They did, indeed, find something.
>
>They found out that tens of thousands of id10ts would install an closed source distributed client application and leave their machines running overnight for absolutely nothing ;)
>--- Synchronet 3.20a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
> * realitycheckBBS - Aptos, CA - telnet://realitycheckbbs.org

You tha funny.
--
Jim

Re: Conspiracy Theory?

<6408d949.315304@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8597&group=alt.folklore.computers#8597

From: info@whitexmasradio.com (OldbieOne)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 18:52:16 GMT
 by: OldbieOne - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 18:52 UTC

On Wed, 08 Mar 2023 09:50:53 -0600, D.J. <chucktheouch@gmnol.com> did make me
awaken from my chaotic existentialism when they didst announce:

>On Tue, 7 Mar 2023 13:58:08 -0800, "Darren Darko"
><darren.darko@realitycheckbbs.org.remove-ohh-this> wrote:
>> To: D.J.
>> Re: Re: Conspiracy Theory?
>> By: D.J. to alt.folklore.computers on Tue Mar 07 2023 10:44 am

>>They did, indeed, find something.
>>
>>They found out that tens of thousands of id10ts would install an closed source distributed client application and leave their machines running overnight for absolutely nothing ;)
>>--- Synchronet 3.20a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
>> * realitycheckBBS - Aptos, CA - telnet://realitycheckbbs.org
>
>You tha funny.

Honestly, they do have a point....