From: vallor@vallor.earth (vallor)
Subject: Alive and well: Bob Metcalfe, Ethernet Pioneer, Wins Turning Award
(was: Re: Bob Metcalfe, Ethernet Pioneer, Wins Turing Award
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:47:51 GMT
 by: vallor - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:47 UTC

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:42:46 -0700, Peter Flass wrote:

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:42:46 -0700, in
<1521822476.701221311.291823.peter_flass-yahoo.com@news.eternal-
september.org>,
Peter Flass <peter_flass@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article
>> <661188922.701182682.556154.peter_flass-yahoo.com@news.eternal-
september.org>,
>> Peter Flass <peter_flass@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> https://www.quantamagazine.org/bob-metcalfe-ethernet-pioneer-wins-
turing-award-20230322/

>>> --
>>> Pete
>>
>> Nice to hear. And much better than I assumed from reading the first
>> few words of the subject: I was afraid it would be an obit.
>
> I noticed this too, when I saw the post. If I’d realized how it would
> appear I’d have reworded the subject. Sorry.

I, too, am glad it wasn't an obit.

Congrats to Dr. Metcalfe!

--
-v

Re: Alive and well: Bob Metcalfe, Ethernet Pioneer, Wins Turning Award (was: Re: Bob Metcalfe, Ethernet Pioneer, Wins Turing Award

<87r0tff7i0.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8734&group=alt.folklore.computers#8734

From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Alive and well: Bob Metcalfe, Ethernet Pioneer, Wins Turning Award (was: Re: Bob Metcalfe, Ethernet Pioneer, Wins Turing Award
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 18:05:59 -0400
sha1:S2wyRAVn2rkItqobC0Jwy/DIjjE=
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 22:05 UTC

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:47:51 GMT, vallor wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:42:46 -0700, Peter Flass wrote:
>
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:42:46 -0700, in
> <1521822476.701221311.291823.peter_flass-yahoo.com@news.eternal-
> september.org>,
> Peter Flass <peter_flass@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <661188922.701182682.556154.peter_flass-yahoo.com@news.eternal-
> september.org>,
> turing-award-20230322/
>>>
>>> Nice to hear. And much better than I assumed from reading the first
>>> few words of the subject: I was afraid it would be an obit.
>>
>> I noticed this too, when I saw the post. If I’d realized how it would
>> appear I’d have reworded the subject. Sorry.
>
> I, too, am glad it wasn't an obit.
>
> Congrats to Dr. Metcalfe!

I remember to have watched the Computer Chronicles episode "Networks"
recently, aired October 1985, which has Bob Metcalfe in the studio.

The episode starts by Stewart Cheifet asking what the future of networks
will be. May be IBM's Token Ring? Or the only two years old new thing
called Ethernet? :-D

I won't spoil it. For the discussion of what might be the future, watch
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=illGtdeI6uo>. ;-)
--
Andreas

https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/