Vulcans never bluff. -- Spock, "The Doomsday Machine", stardate 4202.1

computers / alt.internet.wireless / What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for privacy purposes?

SubjectAuthor
* What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for privacy purposes?Andy Burnelli
+* What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for privacyMarco Moock
|`- What steps do you perform on your phone expressly forbadgolferman
`- What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for privacy purposes?Andy Burnelli

1
Re: What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for privacy purposes?

<toq6ea$13jjh$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=548&group=alt.internet.wireless#548

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy,alt.internet.wireless
Subject: Re: What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for privacy
purposes?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 21:35:21 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 31 Dec 2022 20:35 UTC

Am 06.11.2022 um 16:09:40 Uhr schrieb Andy Burnelli:

> What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for privacy
> purposes?

I got rid off of my mobile phone. No old-ass cellphone, no smartphone,
no Android device. Only normal desktop and laptop computers with Debian.

Re: What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for privacy purposes?

<toqdhu$1ff8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=549&group=alt.internet.wireless#549

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy,alt.internet.wireless
Subject: Re: What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for
privacy purposes?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 22:36:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Sat, 31 Dec 2022 22:36 UTC

Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
> Am 06.11.2022 um 16:09:40 Uhr schrieb Andy Burnelli:
>
>> What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for privacy
>> purposes?
>
> I got rid off of my mobile phone. No old-ass cellphone, no smartphone,
> no Android device. Only normal desktop and laptop computers with Debian.

I started smaller. No Facebook, Instagram or TikTok has ever made it on to
my phone.

What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for privacy purposes?

<tk8m7r$e3h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=970&group=alt.internet.wireless#970

From: spam@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy,alt.internet.wireless
Subject: What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for privacy purposes?
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 16:09:40 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 16:09 UTC

What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for privacy purposes?

Offhand, here are some of the steps I do that are privacy based in nature:
1. I turn off the location until/unless I need it
2. I turn off the "precise location" (which is a big privacy hole)
3. I turn off, by default, all unused radios (bluetooth, nfc, etc.)
4. I turn on a system-wide firewall to not allow unauthorized connections
5. I replace mothership tracking apps with privacy aware FOSS replacements
6. I don't sign into any mothership on the device
7. I don't allow any app permissions it doesn't need
8. I don't allow an app to store anything it doesn't need (e.g., cookies)
9. I don't install any app requiring an account it doesn't need
10. I used to reset the advertising id but now I delete it entirely
11. I set my Wi-Fi AP to not broadcast (not for security but for privacy)
12. I set the AP to "_nomap" (again, only for additional Internet privacy)
13. I set AP SSID/passwd as unique as possible (butterfly hash tables)
14. I set the phone to randomize the MAC address per SSID
15. I set the phone to randomize the MAC address per CONNECTION
16. I set the phone Wi-Fi to NOT auto-reconnect when the signal is dropped

What additional privacy based steps do you do that can edify us all?
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which in this case is how better to use Android and maintain some privacy.

Re: What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for privacy purposes?

<tk8mg0$hil$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=971&group=alt.internet.wireless#971

From: spam@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 16:14:01 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 16:14 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> What steps do you perform on your phone expressly for privacy purposes?

Drat. Scratch iOS newsgroup. That was intended for Android, not iOS.
(You can't do most of those privacy things on iOS, unfortunately for us.)

For example, Android works fine w/o a mothership tracking account while
it's much more difficult to set up a functional iOS device without the
Apple mothership tracking account tracking every moment of every day of
your life.

Will resend to the corrected ng list.
Please do not respond to this thread.

Apologies.