From: news.x.richarddamon@xoxy.net (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
Subject: Re: Decidability Decider H [key Rice issue]
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 09:27:09 -0400
<u7ta54$3jb57$1@dont-email.me> <QvqoM.19838$WpLf.7251@fx33.iad>
<u7te6r$3jn5i$1@dont-email.me> <jQzoM.10081$edH5.5217@fx11.iad>
<u7umo7$3nkts$1@dont-email.me> <TUBoM.21243$Bq67.9920@fx13.iad>
<u7uqch$3nvk2$2@dont-email.me> <XeCoM.21245$Bq67.7645@fx13.iad>
<u7urkq$3o3bd$1@dont-email.me> <5FCoM.21251$Bq67.12963@fx13.iad>
<u7v2hi$3opqe$3@dont-email.me> <BoEoM.155$_2s1.26@fx44.iad>
<u7v5l8$3p4d9$3@dont-email.me> <FLFoM.17231$W7d4.13033@fx18.iad>
<u7v9sn$3plv4$2@dont-email.me> <GMGoM.4988$zQS.3575@fx41.iad>
<u7vem8$3q766$1@dont-email.me> <v9HoM.4992$zQS.102@fx41.iad>
<u7vf7o$3q766$4@dont-email.me> <ItHoM.4994$zQS.4029@fx41.iad>
<u7vtv0$3rka3$1@dont-email.me> <HfMoM.807$8Ma1.187@fx37.iad>
<u804og$3vudj$1@dont-email.me> <wVMoM.17039$N3_4.11887@fx10.iad>
<u807if$auj$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Richard Damon - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 13:27 UTC

On 7/4/23 12:35 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 7/3/2023 11:06 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Since I just quoted that to you it is reasonable that you accept it.
>>
>> Nope, Decidability is a property of PROBLEMS or SETS, not INPUTS.
>>
>> You can't seem to tell the diffence bcause of your ignorance.

>>> Using Rogers' characterization of acceptable programming systems, Rice's
>>> theorem may essentially be generalized from Turing machines to most
>>> computer programming languages: there exists no automatic method that
>>> decides with generality non-trivial questions on the behavior of
>>> computer programs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice%27s_theorem
>>
>> Yes, it doesn't need to be about Turning Machines, but it is still
>> about the ability to create a "program" to compute a Function /
>> Decider for a Language/Set.
>>

>>> H correctly determines whether or not it can correctly determine the
>>> halting status for all of the members of the set of conventional halting
>>> problem proof counter-examples and an infinite set of other elements.
>>
>> But that isn't a proper property.
>>
>> You don't have "Decidability" on individual inputs, so it isn't a
>> Property of the input that can be decided on.
>
> H divides inputs into halting decidable and halting undecidable.

Which means?

After all, *ALL* inputs have a definite halting state, so there is a
correct answer to them, so there always exists a decider that will get
the right answer.

It seems by your attempt at a definition, a "Decider" that just decides
all machines are non-ha;ting would have all halting machines defined as
undecidable.

>>> H is deciding the semantic property of its own behavior on a set of
>>> finite strings. The above says this can be done in C.
>>
>> Nope, just shows you don't understand a thing about what you are saying.
>
> Any idiot can say that. Provide both reasoning and sources.

>>> Mere empty rhetoric utterly bereft of any supporting reasoning.
>>>

>> Nope, since "Decidability" isn't a property of a given input, trying
>> to ask if a given input is Decidable is a simple category error.
>>

>    Decidability is about the ability for there to exist a machine
>    that can decide if its input is a member of the set.
>
> H decides an infinite set of elements that are halting decidable for H
> and another set that are halting undecidable for H.

Again, "Halting Decidable" is an improper term, as ALL machines are
"Decidable" to halt by some machine. So there does exist a machine that
will give the right answer. It is sometimes a different machine for
different inputs.

Read that definition again, and perhaps find a better source, as
decidability is the ability for there to exist a machine that can
decider FOR ANY INPUT, if that input is a member of the set.

There ALWAYS exist a machine that will correctly indicate if a SPECIFIC
input is a member of the set. Trivially, it can be one of two possible
machines, Machine 1 always answers YES, Machine 2 always answers no. One
of those machines is right. The key point is that you need to determine
the answer for ALL inputs, thus it isn't a property of one of the
inputs, but of the SET.

As it is a property of the SET and not an input, there can't be
'decider' to determine if an 'input' has that property, since inputs
don't have that property, the set they are being tested for does.

>> Your inability to understand that just highlights how ignorant you are
>> of the whole field.
>
> I suspect that you might not have more than bluster and a penchant for
> rebuttal.

Really, I guess that is just you projecting, because you describe
yourself to the tee.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Decidability Decider H

By: olcott on Mon, 3 Jul 2023