From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.math,alt.philosophy
Subject: Re: Simulating (partial) Halt Deciders Defeat the Halting Problem
Proofs
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 22:21:33 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 03:21 UTC

On 4/18/2023 10:10 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Right and Ĥ (Ĥ) will reach Ĥ.qn and halt if H (Ĥ) (Ĥ) goes to qn, as
>>> it must to be saying that its input is non-halting.
>>>
>>> This is because embedded_H and H must be identical machines, and thus
>>> do exactly the same thing when given the same input.

>>> Nope, Halting is the MACHINE Ĥ (Ĥ) reaching its final state Ĥ.qn in a
>>> finite number of steps.
>>>
>>> You can also use UTM (Ĥ) (Ĥ), which also reaches that final stste,
>>> because it doesn't stop simulating until it reaches a final state, or
>>> it just keeps simulating.
>>>
>>> H / embedded_H are NOT a UTM, as they don't have that necessary
>>> property.

>>> Except you have defined that H, and thus embeded_H doesn't do (c),
>>> but when it sees the attempted to go into embedded_H with the same
>>> input actually aborts its simulation and goes to Ĥ.qn which causes
>>> the machine Ĥ to halt.
>>>

>> embedded_H could do (c) 10,000 times before aborting which would have to
>> be the actual behavior of the actual input because embedded_H remains in
>> pure UTM mode until it aborts.
>
> No such thing. UTM isn't a "Mode" but an identity.
>
> if embedded_H aborts its simulation, it NEVER was a UTM. PERIOD.
But that is flat out not the truth. The input simulated by embedded_H
necessarily must have exact same behavior as simulated by a pure UTM
until the simulation of this input is aborted because aborting the
simulation of its input is the only one of three features added to a UTM
that changes the behavior of its input relative to a pure UTM.

(a) Watching the behavior doesn't change it.
(b) Matching non-halting behavior patterns doesn't change it.
(b) Even aborting the simulation after N steps doesn't change the first
N steps.

N steps could be 10,000 recursive simulations.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Simulating (partial) Halt Deciders Defeat the Halting Problem Proofs

By: olcott on Tue, 18 Apr 2023

107olcott