From: cr88192@gmail.com (BGB)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: SPARC and DB, Fujitsu will discontinue SPARC in 2034
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 13:42:56 -0600
<memo.20231013173436.16796C@jgd.cix.co.uk> <ugc1bb$c6q$1@gal.iecc.com>
<35bf31ad-2d2a-4b34-9643-7edfab914ee3n@googlegroups.com>
<ugem03$2ih$1@dont-email.me>
<bc5f7db6-0370-49b4-a46d-378b771dc3a5n@googlegroups.com>
<uggh8d$1klbs$3@newsreader4.netcologne.de>
<140689225285a6d30742da525d4b4e55@news.novabbs.com>
<uiu6ad$t5tg$1@dont-email.me> <uiuf11$udmr$1@dont-email.me>
<c38308173669b0a05d5e42b7693c932e@news.novabbs.com>
<uiuudn$1438h$1@dont-email.me>
<98f3a7f22650e3da662a3cbfb1ac6135@news.novabbs.com>
 by: BGB - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 19:42 UTC

On 11/14/2023 10:41 AM, MitchAlsup wrote:
> BGB wrote:

>>> Yes
>>> Invariably
>>> Yes

>>> <
>>> It is not weight per seé, it is stiffness between the piece holding
>>> the part
>>> and the spindle applying forces to remove chips from the part.
>>> <
>
>> Or, some combination of machine stiffness, inertia, and having enough
>> weight+inertia to keep the thing firmly anchored in place on the floor.
>

>> Like, when I tried at one point to mill steel with a 1" ballnose
>> endmill on a CNC converted G0704, I quickly stopped this as, as soon
>> as the endmill started cutting the steel, it seemed like the whole
>> thing was going to rattle itself apart...

>>> <
>>> The difference between 0.005 and 0.001 on a Bridgeport is metrology and
>>> care. If you can't measure something you cannot compensate for
>>> it--this goes double during setup where you sweep the clamped part to
>>> determine
>>> that it is held flat in the vise and normal to the milling direction.
>>> <
>

>> The Bridgeport in this case was modified to use ballscrews, with
>> NEMA34 steppers (IIRC, 1740 oz-in) connected to the leadscrews via
>> timing belts and pulleys (similar setup on my G0704; just using 470
>> oz-in NEMA23 motors).
>
>> Both machines can get "in the area" of 0.005", but don't seem to get
>> this with much repeatability (say, one cuts the same hole, and one
>> time it might be 0.004 over, or 0.004 under, or, ...).
>
>> Things like rotating a feature, changing the feedrate, etc, may also
>> effect what size it cuts.
>

>> This seems to be less of an issue on the Tormach machine (1100MX),
>> which seems to usually get +/- 0.001, but for parts asking for this,
>> this is more of a problem.
>

>> Though, have noted that feedrate does effect accuracy (it seems to cut
>> a little oversize if using faster feedrates or deeper cuts).
>
>> Some settings I had found that seem to work fairly well (on the Tormach):
>>    Aluminum with 3/16 endmill:
>>      RPM: 6500
>>      Feed: 17.0  inch/minute
>>      Depth: 0.015
>>    Aluminum with 1/8 endmill:
>>      RPM: 8500
>>      Feed: 19.0
>>      Depth: 0.010
>
>> For the Bridgeport, was generally using (for 1/8 and 3/16):
>>    RPM: ~ 3000
>>    Feed: 6.5 inch/minute
>>    Depth: 0.010
>
>> The G0704 is hard-pressed to go much over around 1500 RPM, so ~ 3.0
>> inch/minute.
> <
> I rarely use my C07300 with a spindle speed above 500 RPM, and mostly
> use 270 RPMs for milling.

Well, mostly it is "more RPM, more cutting", at least up to a certain
point (if RPM is too fast, the mill no longer cuts effectively).

So, if RPM is slower, feedrate needs to be slower, which means it takes
longer to make the part, ...

Well, and material, say, steel needs to be cut slower than aluminum or
brass, and stainless (or hardened steel) slower than normal steel.

Probably a majority of the parts being made were aluminum (mostly 6061,
sometimes 7075, or various other alloys).

Sometimes steel, brass, stainless, ...

Sometimes plastic, phenolic (fiberglass+resin, similar to circuit board
material, but much thicker), fiberglass or carbon-fiber composite, or
other weirder materials (often composites of various sorts).

Then, there are materials like graphite, that will crumble if one looks
at them funny, or ones that will melt into goo if they get wet (like PVA
or PVA based composites, *), ...

*: Say, when someone decides it is a good idea to make gears out of a
composite of compressed cotton fiber and PVA. But, then one has to avoid
any contact with water or coolant, as the material will melt (and then
the "chips" left in the machine later absorb coolant and turn into a
sort of sticky goo that is stuck on everything, or form a layer of slime
in the chip-tray).

Usually, "whatever shows up" and needs to be milled (someone else is
mostly dealing with sourcing the jobs and materials).

Mostly, from what I can gather, it is a lot of the stuff that either the
other shops in the area refuse to do, or would charge considerably more
to do so.

Like, say, other shops don't really want to try to hold 0.005 on
PVA+Cotton either, and then one is left to wonder how asking 0.005 even
makes sense on the material (since it is slightly compressible and will
shrink/expand based on humidity), ...

But, yeah, for a 7/16 endmill at aluminum, this would be around 4500 RPM
or so. But, depends on the machine.

So, as noted, my G0704 doesn't go much over 1500, and the Bridgeport
doesn't go much over 3000. Which, in turn, is fairly limiting for
aluminum, but mostly OK for steel.

RPM limits do somewhat limit feedrate for smaller endmills though, like
1/8 and 3/16, which are used a lot (but, it gets kind of annoying if
someone wants a feature smaller than what can be done with a 1/8
endmill; or, say, a pocket with a corner radius less than 0.063, ...).

But, say, smaller endmills, like 5/64, or 3/64, are not used as often as
they have sort of a habit of breaking if one looks at them funny. Well,
and for related reasons, a perfectly square-edged pocket isn't going to
happen (well, at least short of using a file or similar, and then
probably wrecking the tolerance and surface finish in the process, ...).

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Fujitsu will discontinue SPARC in 2034

By: Marco Moock on Fri, 13 Oct 2023

149Marco Moock