From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Refuting the Tarski Undefinability Theorem [ Mike Terry commits
libel ]
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 21:10:04 -0500
<uqapia$1159f$2@dont-email.me> <uqb3ju$2ba30$7@i2pn2.org>
<uqb4ra$133m2$1@dont-email.me> <uqb5dr$2ba2v$1@i2pn2.org>
<uqbe1h$14jbd$1@dont-email.me> <uqbftm$2ba30$8@i2pn2.org>
<uqbjmg$15k8u$1@dont-email.me> <uqbl1p$2ba2v$2@i2pn2.org>
<uqbnnk$165t6$1@dont-email.me> <uqbp0n$2ba2v$3@i2pn2.org>
<uqbrfp$16nal$1@dont-email.me> <uqbsnv$2ba30$9@i2pn2.org>
<uqbtcr$16rlh$2@dont-email.me> <VjfyN.357018$xHn7.6615@fx14.iad>
<uqc1c7$1ba08$1@dont-email.me> <uqc32b$2ba2v$4@i2pn2.org>
<uqc6v7$1bsbs$3@dont-email.me>
 by: Richard Damon - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 02:10 UTC

On 2/11/24 11:31 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 2/11/2024 9:24 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> embedded_H refers to all of the states specified in his H template.
>>> two of these states have merely been renamed indicating that they
>>> have been integrated into Ĥ because H has been embedded in Ĥ.
>>
>> Then why did you say it was just Ĥq0 that represented embedded_H?
>>

>>> His two start states are wrong as Ben agreed to years ago.
>>> No TM ever has two q0 states.
>>
>> No, there is q0 and Ĥq0
>>
>> Admittedly, his nomenclature is a bit awkward.
>>
>> The execution of the Machine Ĥ starts at the state q0 (as he defines
>> q0 to be the starting state of all machines) with the expresion
>>
>> q0 Wm
>>
>> Which means at state q0, with a tape contents of Wm
>>
>> It then goes through the steps to duplicate the tape and ends up at
>> state Ĥq0 which is the Ĥ machine equivalent of H's q0, at an expression
>>
>> Ĥq0 Wm Wm
>>
>> Meaning at state Ĥq0 with tape contents Wm Wm
>>
>> and then (depending on the decision that H makes) to either
>>
>> Ĥ∞
>>

> All of the above is correct.
>
> *This improves on his notation making is more clear*
> q0 ⟨M⟩ ⊢* Ĥq0  ⟨M⟩ ⟨M⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞  // YES for M applied to ⟨M⟩ halts
Which is for H saying that M applied to (M) Halts, which if M is Ĥ it
doesn't

> q0 ⟨M⟩ ⊢* Ĥq0  ⟨M⟩ ⟨M⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn    // NO for M applied to ⟨M⟩ does not halt
Which is for H sayng that M applied to (M) Halts, which if M is Ĥ it
does Halt.

So, which every H you happen to try to use, it is wrong (and the two H's
got DIFFERENT input, so that doesn't say that either question didn't
have a correct answer, just not one that H gave.

So, this proves that NO H will correctly answer the halting question for
the input representing the specific computation built from the template
applied to that particular H.

>> indicating that Ĥ doesn't halt or
>>
>> Ĥ y0 qn y1
>>
>> indicating it goes to state Ĥqn with the tape possible having symbols
>> y0 before the head, and y1 after the head.
>>

>>> My name embedded_H is much easier to understand than his
>>> second q0 state.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Refuting the Tarski Undefinability Theorem

By: olcott on Sun, 4 Feb 2024

65olcott