From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Subject: Re: Undecidability based on epistemological antinomies V2 --H(D,D)--
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 21:50:02 -0400
<uvrbvs$2acf7$1@dont-email.me> <uvs70t$1h01f$1@i2pn2.org>
<uvsgcl$2i80k$1@dont-email.me> <uvsj4v$1h01e$1@i2pn2.org>
<uvubo2$34nh3$1@dont-email.me> <uvvsap$3i5q8$1@dont-email.me>
<v00mf6$3nu0r$1@dont-email.me> <v02gu5$6quf$1@dont-email.me>
<v038om$bitp$2@dont-email.me> <v05b0k$sivu$1@dont-email.me>
<v05r5e$vvml$2@dont-email.me> <v05vl4$1165d$1@dont-email.me>
<v0679k$12sq2$1@dont-email.me> <v07r2j$1h57l$1@dont-email.me>
<v08gn4$1lpta$2@dont-email.me> <v0ag7u$27jkb$1@dont-email.me>
<v0b8np$2d4ja$1@dont-email.me> <v0c317$2538n$1@i2pn2.org>
<v0c7fn$2k0tc$1@dont-email.me> <v0d3h1$2t938$1@dont-email.me>
<v0doho$31mkn$2@dont-email.me>
 by: Richard Damon - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 01:50 UTC

On 4/25/24 10:15 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 4/25/2024 3:16 AM, Mikko wrote:

>>> Everyone here takes the definition of a halt decider to be
>>> required to determine the halt status of the program that
>>> invokes this halt decider, knowing full well that the program
>>> that invokes this halt decider IS NOT ITS INPUT.
>>>
>>> All these same people also know the computable functions only
>>> operate on their inputs and are not allowed to consider anything
>>> else.
>>>
>>> Computable functions are the formalized analogue of the intuitive notion
>>> of algorithms, in the sense that a function is computable if there
>>> exists an algorithm that can do the job of the function, i.e. given an
>>> input of the function domain it can return the corresponding output.
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_function
>>>
>>> When the definition of a halt decider contradicts the definition of
>>> a computable function they can't both be right.
>>
>> When the definitions of a term contradicts the definition of another term
>> then both of them are wrong. A correct definition does not contradict
>> anything other than a different definition of the same term.
>>

> *Wrong*
> In logic, the law of non-contradiction (LNC) (also known as the law of
> contradiction, principle of non-contradiction (PNC), or the principle of
> contradiction) states that contradictory propositions cannot both be
> true in the same sense at the same time
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_noncontradiction
>
> Computable functions are the formalized analogue of the intuitive notion
> of algorithms, in the sense that a function is computable if there
> exists an algorithm that can do the job of the function, i.e. given an
> input of the function domain it can return the corresponding output.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_function
> *That one is correct*

But the question is *IF* the Halting Function is computable, you can't
just assume it is.

We have a "Function", we can call HALTING, which maps input to the
output answer, and for this problem HALTING(M,d) maps to True if M(d)
will halt, and to False if M(d) will never halt.

For H to be a "Halt Decider, and show that HALTING is a computable
funciton, then H must be able to take in the representation of ANY
possible input the HALTING, and give the correct answer that the HALTING
mapping generates.

> 01 int D(ptr x)  // ptr is pointer to int function
> 02 {
> 03   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
> 04   if (Halt_Status)
> 05     HERE: goto HERE;
> 06   return Halt_Status;
> 07 }
> 08
> 09 void main()
> 10 {
> 11   D(D);
> 12 }
>
> That H(D,D) must report on the behavior of its caller is the
> one that is incorrect.

So, given that we have some actual program H defined, then D will be an
actual program and D can also be the description of an actual program so
HALTING(D,D) will map to the behavior of D(D).

For H to be an actual Halt Decider, it MUST be able to take that exact
same input, and give the right answer.

THere is *NO* ground for H to somehow say that the input isn't "valid",
as if H is program, then so is D, so it *IS* in the domain of the
mapping it is trying to compute.

The fact that for ANY H you might be able to create, the answer returned
by H(D,D) for the D built on it is wrong, shows that no H can exist that
works on EVERY input, and thus HALTING is a non-computable mapping.

Note, H is NOT being asked to answer about "the program that is calling
it", but about "the program described by its input", which IS a valid
question.

Your confusing those two questions, even though in THIS case reference
the exact same program, but the question themselves are different.

The fact that it is invalid to ask the question about deciding on "The
Program that is calling H" does not make asking about D(D) invalid, as
that is a perfectly valid input to give it, it only makes asking that
EXACT question invalid.

This shows your lack of ability to understand logic.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Undecidability based on epistemological antinomies V2

By: olcott on Thu, 18 Apr 2024

284olcott