From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: help, My computer is flashing me
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 11:54:41 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 16:54 UTC

On 1/8/2024 11:06 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
>> knuttle wrote:

>>> OP;
>>>
>>> I found that when I signed out of the flashing went away, so to me it did not seem to be a driver problem.   When flash most access to the computer were dead.
>>>
>>> It did a reset with keeping my data.  That did nothing to fix the problem.
>>>
>>> In desperation; I restored the computer to factory conditions.  The flashing was gone.   I reinstalled a ton of updates, and as of now everything is normal.
>>>
>>> I still don't understand what caused the flashing problem in the fist place.
>>
>> You are to be commended, Keith, for effort. My heart goes out to people who take on heavy jobs like that and see them through.
>>
>> I sure hope the problem doesn't arise again.
>> Have you fully updated Windows 10 with everything MS has to offer?
>>
>> Ed
>
> P.S. An important issue has just occurred to me.
> Do you have an on-board graphic card? Or does your computer use part of RAM to handle graphics?
>
> Ed

"Dell laptop"

So you know there are two potential implementations.

I would have made a backup of my C: drive, before nuking and paving.

But I sympathize, on the state of repair capabilities on computers.
The people designing this stuff, have no sense of mercy at all.

*******

I recommend users at least have a Safe Mode option in their boot screen.
Perhaps a person could make another Administrator account from there ?
I haven't tried that.

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu True # For a healthy computer, add Safe Mode
# Use Administrator command prompt for this, not Terminal

bcdedit # Check the command actually worked!!!

bcdedit /store C:\boot\BCD /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu True # Offline, CSM boot, add Safe Mode from DVD
# Assumes both "boot" and "system" are on C: partition

diskpart # Offline, UEFI boot for C: , add Safe Mode
list disk #
select disk 0 # We are making invisible partition, visible.
list partition
select partition 1
assign letter=K # make the hidden EFI system, letter K:
exit # This assignment disappears, on a reboot.

dir K:\efi\Microsoft\Boot\BCD*

Directory of K:\efi\Microsoft\Boot \
\
01/07/2024 11:37 PM 57,344 BCD <==== checking for it \____ ready to go, I'm checking for a BCD.
05/24/2022 05:03 AM 32,768 BCD_old / You can't issue the next command, if BCD gone.

bcdedit /store K:\efi\Microsoft\boot\BCD /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu True

Sometime, we have to modify computers in emergency conditions,
which is why the Offline modes are documented above.

The boot menu on this computer, has a Safe Mode entry in it.
Typing "bcdedit" as administrator in a terminal window, shows this right now on mine.

displaybootmenu Yes # Yes is the same as True
# True, they are jokers. Or Yes, they are jokers.

When I boot, one of my options in the menu, is Safe Mode.

Paul

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o help, My computer is flashing me

By: knuttle on Sat, 6 Jan 2024