Subject: OT -- Motorcycles and Defense
From: "Worst Case"@dizum.com
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 00:54:32 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles
 by: "Worst Case"@dizum.com - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 22:54 UTC

W.C. says, "Yes, the demographics of motorcycling have undergone a
tectonic shift."

> In 1992, the median age of motorcycle riders was 32. Now it’s
> 48. Motorcycle sales peaked in the US in 2005, and is now less than
> half of what it was then.

+ "Where Are the Motorcycle Commercials?"
https://boards.straightdope.com/t/where-are-the-motorcycle-commercials/991251/8

.... which causes me to ponder.

Here in the Colonies we have always prided ourselves on gun ownership
because you lot tried to restrict that in the months before our
glorious Revolution got underway. In spite of the moaning and
gnashing of teeth you hear about gun theft and gun violence these
days, it'd be difficult to argue that that widespread availability of
firearms is bad for national defense.

This excerpt from the dialog of the movie _Casablanca_ illustrates the
point:

> Major Strasser: Are you one of those people who cannot imagine the
Germans in their beloved Paris?

> Rick: It's not particularly my beloved Paris.

> Heinz: Can you imagine us in London?

> Rick: When you get there, ask me!

> Captain Renault: Hmmh! Diplomatist!

> Major Strasser: How about New York?

> Rick: Well there are certain sections of New York, Major, that I
wouldn't advise you to try to invade.

Then ... AN ANALOGY (worthy, I suppose, of Hunter S. Thompson):

Motorcycle hijacking and motorcycle violence ought to be equally good.

If manufacturers imagine themselves shackled to ever-increasing unit
prices as the way toward continued profitability, they run the risk of
negatively impacting our defense capabilities. Instead, more
widespread availability of motorcycles among the locals ought to be
encouraged whether their use is legitimate or not. In the event of
invasion by a foreign power, already having an inventory of operable
bikes and parts for them in the hands of the populace experienced in
their use will be invaluable.

We can't rely on cheap Chinese imports in this regard.

Public policy should be formulated to put as few obstacles as possible
in the way of motorcycle ownership, which should be as cheap as
possible, with the object of making motorcycling ubiquitous among ALL
AGE GROUPS because mobility on all kinds of terrain will be essential
to internal communications.

Motorcycles must be excused from carbon restrictions. Electric and
oil fired motorcycles are necessary. Electrics have the advantage of
stealth in combat situations, and petroleum bikes have the advantage
of running a long way on stored energy, which may be in short supply
during an insurrection.

--
Worst Case