From: jdyoung1@ymail.com (jdy?ung)
Newsgroups: alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian.roman-catholic,nyc.politics
Subject: NYC mayor angers secularists
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 23:29:08 -0500
 by: jdy?ung - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 04:29 UTC

Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on remarks made by the
mayor of New York:

New York City Mayor Eric Adams angered secularists yesterday when he
spoke at an interfaith breakfast event. After his closest aide, Ingrid
Lewis-Martin, introduced him as someone who “doesn’t believe” in
separation of church and state, her boss took the stage and said,
“Ingrid is so right.” “Don’t tell me about no separation of church and
state. State is the body. Church is the heart. You take the heart out
of the body, the body dies.”

Adams continued this line of thought, saying, “I can’t separate my
belief because I’m an elected official.” He then made an observation
that was just as contentious. “When we took prayers out of schools,
guns came into schools.”

As expected, this didn’t sit well with left-wing secularists and their
religious next of kin. Rabbi Abby Stein, who is an LGBT activist, said
Adams’ remarks were “unhinged and dangerous.” Donna Lieberman of the
New York Civil Liberties Union, a militant secular organization, said
his comments left her “speechless.”

Fabien Levy, a spokesman for Adams, said that Adams was merely trying
to show that faith guides his actions. That is no doubt true. Adams
has been in office long enough for us to know if he was literally
attempting to abridge the First Amendment rights of New Yorkers.

It is paradoxical, to say the least, to hear left-wing activists
hyperventilate over Adams’ speech. The fact is there is a very real
threat to separation of church and state these days, and it is coming
from organizations like the ACLU: they are using the state to encroach
on the rights of the faithful. It is not the church that is busy
abridging the rights of the state; it is the other way around.

When secularists like the ACLU lobbying for the Equality Act—which
would allow the state to tell Catholic doctors and hospitals that they
must perform abortions and sex-reassignment surgeries—they are showing
their contempt for separation of church and state.

While it is too facile to contend that when prayer was banned in the
schools, guns came in, it is nonetheless true that over the past half
century the schools have become radically secularized, triggering a
series of social problems. So Adams’ more general point merits
attention.

It is also interesting to hear the ACLU whine over Adams’ remarks
about separation of church and state when it never criticizes Adams,
or other black public officials, when they take to the pulpit and make
blatantly political speeches in churches when running for office.

Similarly, none of these secularists, who are usually big fans of
diversity, bothered to criticize Adams for his guest list of speakers.
He is a Protestant, and those invited to speak were Jewish, Buddhist
and Muslim leaders. In a city that is heavily Catholic, why was no
Catholic leader invited to speak?

If Adams wants to win the support of churchgoing New Yorkers, he needs
to step up to the plate and take on those school officials and
teachers who are trying to sexualize children: they have no right to
invite students to question their nature-determined sex status. That
is a true violation of the religious rights of their parents. First
Amendment anyone?

J Young
jdyoung1@ymail.com

Re: NYC mayor angers secularists

<tu8bsl$4q9$7@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=1586&group=nyc.politics#1586

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian.roman-catholic,nyc.politics
Subject: Re: NYC mayor angers secularists
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 21:55:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 21:55 UTC

Eric Adams will prove one of the best mayors. I remeber early on he said
he's neither Democrat or Republican, just Christian. Read about his mom; she
was a saint. This is a man who whenever confronted with lemons, makes
lemonade. BTW, when campaigning in 2001 Bloomberg said he found the "Our
Father" in his school helpful.

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: NYC mayor angers secularists

<5udf0ip72uo9l432otjcmrv6qva3o6sibf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=1587&group=nyc.politics#1587

From: c.lee@fairpoint.net (Christopher A. Lee)
Newsgroups: alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian.roman-catholic,nyc.politics
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 16:17:33 -0600
 by: Christopher A. Lee - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 22:17 UTC

On Tue, 7 Mar 2023 21:55:33 -0000 (UTC),
vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> Eric Adams will prove one of the best mayors. I remeber early on he said
>he's neither Democrat or Republican, just Christian. Read about his mom; she
>was a saint. This is a man who whenever confronted with lemons, makes
>lemonade. BTW, when campaigning in 2001 Bloomberg said he found the "Our
>Father" in his school helpful.

He has to step aside from his religious beliefs - which he said he
can't do, and he talks as if they were fact.

interests / nyc.politics / NYC mayor angers secularists