From: klaus.schadenfreudeREMOVE@gmail.com (KlausSchadenfreude)
Newsgroups: alt.food.fast-food
Subject: If You Ordered Fast Food Through A Speaker, You Can Thank In-N-Out
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 04:14:54 -0800
 by: KlausSchadenfreude - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 12:14 UTC

Before a real drive-thru was established, drive-up service was the
norm in the burger joints and roadside stands of the day. Customers in
their cars would often place an order with an employee, or carhop, who
approached their automobile. (The roller-skating carhop immortalized
in so many films and TV shows was an attempt to serve customers
faster, according to AAA.) At In-N-Out, patrons could actually pull
their car directly up to the building and order directly from a cook
through a window. It was a clunky process that created a natural
chokepoint, requiring cooks to track several orders at a time while
preparing food.

According to the book “The Ins-N-Outs of In-N-Out” by Snyder’s
granddaughter and current company president Lynsi Synder, Harry Snyder
wanted a way to simultaneously speed up ordering times, allow for more
cars and keep cooks from having to multitask. Inspired by the
intercoms used on military ships in World War II, Snyder sought to
create a two-way ordering system that would make the process smoother.

“Harry Snyder was a tinkerer. He wasn’t a trained electrician or
engineer. He simply wanted to have this system and was determined to
build it,” Adam Chandler, author of the book “Drive-Thru Dreams,”
tells SFGATE. “And it’s still the same system we use today.”

Read more:
https://www.sfgate.com/la/article/in-n-out-drive-thru-two-way-speaker-harry-snyder-18678273.php

Photo of first fast food speaker:
https://californiathroughmylens.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Original-In-and-Out-10-640x427.jpg

Re: If You Ordered Fast Food Through A Speaker, You Can Thank In-N-Out

<f9hmtiprjdrtvpc0g3sahr1rv1e9fsgt86@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=16235&group=alt.food.fast-food#16235

From: kw19@kw.kw (KWills)
Newsgroups: alt.food.fast-food
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 05:48:36 -0800
 by: KWills - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 13:48 UTC

On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 04:14:54 -0800, KlausSchadenfreude
<klaus.schadenfreudeREMOVE@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

>According to the book “The Ins-N-Outs of In-N-Out” by Snyder’s
>granddaughter and current company president Lynsi Synder,

And the woman I'm totally in love with. Her being a billionaire
has nothing to do with it, either.
Stop laughing. It could be true. It's not, of course, but it
could be.

>Harry Snyder
>wanted a way to simultaneously speed up ordering times, allow for more
>cars and keep cooks from having to multitask. Inspired by the
>intercoms used on military ships in World War II, Snyder sought to
>create a two-way ordering system that would make the process smoother.
>
>“Harry Snyder was a tinkerer. He wasn’t a trained electrician or
>engineer. He simply wanted to have this system and was determined to
>build it,” Adam Chandler, author of the book “Drive-Thru Dreams,”
>tells SFGATE. “And it’s still the same system we use today.”

It has made ordering easier. And people who are too lazy to walk
inside and order can continue to sit on their ever expanding asses.
That was me at one point in my life.

>Read more:
>https://www.sfgate.com/la/article/in-n-out-drive-thru-two-way-speaker-harry-snyder-18678273.php
>
>Photo of first fast food speaker: