Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 20:49:38 -0700
From: plutedpup@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Subject: food consolidation
Newsgroups: alt.food.fast-food
 by: Pluted Pup - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 03:49 UTC

Here's an excerpt from an article about consolidation
in the classical music industry. Including remarks
about food:

It is usually true that when a large company absorbs a smaller
one, the losers are the customers, because the selection shrinks.
For example, a great deal of what we like to eat has been
eliminated that way in the food industry. The big companies want
to sell more of less (fewer items, less work). And they are
buying out the competition in a few key products, so the other
products don't matter. They buy up a smaller company and
eliminate half of what they used to make. A great many foods are
no longer available -- no matter the ridiculous size of the
average supermarket. (I have a list of 40 food items that I like
but are no longer available because the company was bought out).

-- from American Record Guide, March/April, 2024, page 12