Creativity is no substitute for knowing what you are doing.

interests / alt.obituaries / Composer Peter Nero dead at 89.

SubjectAuthor
* Composer Peter Nero dead at 89.Tom Betts
`* Composer Peter Nero dead at 89.radioacti...@gmail.com
 `* Composer Peter Nero dead at 89.Diner
  `- Composer Peter Nero dead at 89.A Friend

1
Composer Peter Nero dead at 89.

<8c7d9bae-a8be-4ca4-b8e4-1cb5f6755513n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18354&group=alt.obituaries#18354

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:31:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Composer Peter Nero dead at 89.
From: tbetts26@yahoo.com (Tom Betts)
 by: Tom Betts - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 18:31 UTC

https://dnyuz.com/2023/07/08/peter-nero-pianist-who-straddled-genres-is-dead-at-89/?fbclid=IwAR2U7B17A0Xzpbna_rYCI3lOhivQmWyauniCBzbGSPQA2gb7hlpZx1vhejI

Re: Composer Peter Nero dead at 89.

<be4beb26-ee37-40d9-b6fd-6add23d383den@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18364&group=alt.obituaries#18364

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 15:49:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Composer Peter Nero dead at 89.
From: radioactiveseattle@gmail.com (radioacti...@gmail.com)
 by: radioacti...@gmail.c - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 22:49 UTC

Hugely appreciate your posting this, Tom; Wikipedia was, oddly, slow in catching up to you on this sad passing.

As for me--an inveterate rocker if only dilettante musician who far too seldom hears jazz much less classical--I knew pretty much nothing about the late maestro beyond that he was a popular "easy-listening" pianist. That is, I was totally oblivious to his central role in the Philadelphia Philharmonic, much less that he could simultaneously conduct AND tickle the ivories.

And his remarkable Anne Frank project was a yet ANOTHER major hole in my knowledge base. Thanks for enlightening me to an important musician I should never have ignored.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida

Re: Composer Peter Nero dead at 89.

<72981f17-133f-4cdf-afe3-1182a0b50bcfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18372&group=alt.obituaries#18372

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 11:48:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: bwaystars@gmail.com (Diner)
 by: Diner - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 18:48 UTC

On Sunday, July 9, 2023 at 6:49:57 PM UTC-4, radioacti...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hugely appreciate your posting this, Tom; Wikipedia was, oddly, slow in catching up to you on this sad passing.
>
> As for me--an inveterate rocker if only dilettante musician who far too seldom hears jazz much less classical--I knew pretty much nothing about the late maestro beyond that he was a popular "easy-listening" pianist. That is, I was totally oblivious to his central role in the Philadelphia Philharmonic, much less that he could simultaneously conduct AND tickle the ivories.

I was never a subscriber to the Philly Pops, but I attended their concerts occasionally over the years and was always impressed. Sure, most of their repertoire was the standard pops fare - light classical, movie themes, etc. - but Nero's skill and showmanship elevated even the most ordinary pieces. And at least once in every show, Nero did a number that allowed him to improvise on the piano, and it was always superb.

One time the Philly Pops performed at the annual televised Fourth of July concert on the Ben Franklin Parkway, and Ray Charles was their guest. The two of them sat down at the same piano and traded solos back and forth, and it was just wonderful. It was thrilling to see two superb, world-class musicians sparking each other's creativity so well, and having a great time doing it.

OTOH, he could be a strict taskmaster. Once I attended a concert where the featured soloists were Broadway singers Kelli O'Hara and Aaron Lazar. At one point, Nero was standing on the podium, about to start a number, and O'Hara and Lazar were a few feet away. Just as Nero was about to bring down the baton, Lazar leaned over and whispered something to O'Hara. Nero, shocked, leaned over and reprimanded him (though out of microphone range). Then Lazar did it again, and Nero reprimanded him again. When Lazar did it a third time, Nero got down from the podium, walked over to Lazar, and (presumably) gave him hell. Chastened, Lazar kept silent (except to sing) for the rest of the concert.

Re: Composer Peter Nero dead at 89.

<100720232225025477%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=18374&group=alt.obituaries#18374

From: nope@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 22:25:02 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 02:25 UTC

In article <72981f17-133f-4cdf-afe3-1182a0b50bcfn@googlegroups.com>,
Diner <bwaystars@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, July 9, 2023 at 6:49:57?PM UTC-4, radioacti...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hugely appreciate your posting this, Tom; Wikipedia was, oddly, slow in
> > catching up to you on this sad passing.
> >
> > As for me--an inveterate rocker if only dilettante musician who far too
> > seldom hears jazz much less classical--I knew pretty much nothing about the
> > late maestro beyond that he was a popular "easy-listening" pianist. That
> > is, I was totally oblivious to his central role in the Philadelphia
> > Philharmonic, much less that he could simultaneously conduct AND tickle the
> > ivories.
>

> I was never a subscriber to the Philly Pops, but I attended their
> concerts occasionally over the years and was always impressed. Sure,
> most of their repertoire was the standard pops fare - light
> classical, movie themes, etc. - but Nero's skill and showmanship
> elevated even the most ordinary pieces. And at least once in every
> show, Nero did a number that allowed him to improvise on the piano,
> and it was always superb.
>
> One time the Philly Pops performed at the annual televised Fourth of
> July concert on the Ben Franklin Parkway, and Ray Charles was their
> guest. The two of them sat down at the same piano and traded solos
> back and forth, and it was just wonderful. It was thrilling to see
> two superb, world-class musicians sparking each other's creativity so
> well, and having a great time doing it.
>
> OTOH, he could be a strict taskmaster. Once I attended a concert
> where the featured soloists were Broadway singers Kelli O'Hara and
> Aaron Lazar. At one point, Nero was standing on the podium, about to
> start a number, and O'Hara and Lazar were a few feet away. Just as
> Nero was about to bring down the baton, Lazar leaned over and
> whispered something to O'Hara. Nero, shocked, leaned over and
> reprimanded him (though out of microphone range). Then Lazar did it
> again, and Nero reprimanded him again. When Lazar did it a third
> time, Nero got down from the podium, walked over to Lazar, and
> (presumably) gave him hell. Chastened, Lazar kept silent (except to
> sing) for the rest of the concert.

I saw him at the 1976 Democratic National Convention at Madison Square
Garden in NYC. He had a small orchestra that they'd positioned in the
stands well above stage left, and they played while all the boring
stuff was going on at the lectern. I sat near Mr. Nero for a while and
just listened. He glanced at me; I was the only one there. I think he
appreciated that someone was paying attention. I stayed until they
went on break.

interests / alt.obituaries / Composer Peter Nero dead at 89.