From: yourdime@outlook.com (useapen)
Newsgroups: ca.driving,alt.society.liberalism,alt.education,talk.politics.guns,soc.women
Subject: Pepperdine says four students killed in Malibu by Pacific Coast highway driver
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 08:16:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: useapen - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 08:16 UTC

Pepperdine University says four of its students were killed standing near
the highway in Malibu, California, on Tuesday.

The four women were on the side of Pacific Coast Highway around 8:30 p.m.
when a 22-year-old driver lost control of his sedan, the Los Angeles
County Sheriff�s Department said. The sedan crashed into three parked
vehicles the women were standing between.

The women, later identified by the university as seniors Niamh Rolston,
Peyton Stewart, Asha Weir and Deslyn Williams, were pronounced dead at the
scene, officials said.

�Earlier today, we learned that four precious lives who brought joy and
light to our campus were taken from us suddenly, tragically, and
incomprehensibly,� Pepperdine President Jim Gash in a letter to the campus
community

Pepperdine officials had earlier said they had reason to believe the women
were students at its liberal arts college, Seaver College.

Malibu resident Fraser Michael Bohm was arrested and accused of vehicular
manslaughter with gross negligence, sheriff�s Capt. Jennifer Seetoo said
at a news conference Wednesday morning.

He has minor injuries and has been released as the investigation is being
conducted.

Pepperdine�s main campus overlooks Pacific Coast Highway.

Seetoo said the Pacific Coast Highway is "deadly" because people tend to
drive recklessly on it.

"The leading cause of collisions on PCH by far is speed," she said. "It is
a town � it is a college town."

Pepperdine plans to hold a prayer service at 10 a.m. Thursday and said
planning for memorial services is underway.

"Each departed student brought a unique gift and spirit to the University,
and we deeply grieve the unfulfilled hopes and aspirations of our precious
community members," Connie Horton, vice president for student affairs,
said in a statement.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pepperdine-says-four-students-killed-
malibu-pacific-coast-highway-driv-rcna121113