From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Subject: Re: What means "off contest" in a chess match?
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:46:17 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 18:46 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:17:17 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
<jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>I believe it means that a player's score qualified that player for a certain result,
>but for another reason, that player was not qualified, and so the actual
>award of prizes occured as though that player was not there.
>Why such a thing would happen, though, I do not know.

I do not know either but 40 years ago when I was an up and coming
junior I was 4-0 after 4 rounds in a provincial junior championship
and was paired against somebody who was of junior age BUT would NOT be
eligible to compete at the national level if he won the qualifying
tournament. I told the TD in no uncertain terms that that was unjust
(and 40 years later STILL feel that way), I blundered shortly after
the time control and in the last round was still rattled from the
experience and lost quickly thus failing to qualify.

Now that I'm on our national executive I have lobbied HARD on this
making the point that in a qualifying tournament a player should NOT
be allowed to play if for whatever reason he/she would be ineligible
to participate in the event the qualifying tournament was to qualify a
champion for.

The whole point of such an event is to qualify a player for the next
level - not to ingratiate the egos of ineligible players who want to
play a few rounds.

Felt strongly on this as a teenager and as an 'old fart' still do.

But I do think that's the situation the original poster was talking
about.

(if you really want credentials then International Arbiter, past
member National Appeals Committee)