From: lnlarson@stoat.inhoin.edu (Lane Larson)
Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Subject: refinement
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 20:55:39 -0500
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
 by: Lane Larson - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 01:55 UTC

Some of those things I said in too strong of nomenclature. I wish I
could express with finesse. I just meant to say that sometimes
attacking a piece that can easily get away could be improved upon by
looking for a different move.

And my contempt for knights is not an opinion expressly held by the company.

Re: refinement

<uus9er$296ok$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=1939&group=rec.games.chess.misc#1939

From: wthyde1953@gmail.com (William Hyde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Subject: Re: refinement
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 15:57:16 -0400
 by: William Hyde - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:57 UTC

Lane Larson wrote:
> Some of those things I said in too strong of nomenclature.  I wish I
> could express with finesse.  I just meant to say that sometimes
> attacking a piece that can easily get away could be improved upon by
> looking for a different move.

Attacking a piece that can move away may be good for several reasons.
The piece may have to move to an inferior square, you may gain a tempo,
you may gain access to an important square.

But yes, if made with no particular reason such attacks are generally a
bad idea.

> And my contempt for knights is not an opinion expressly held by the
> company.

Watson in his "Secrets of positional play" lays out the case for the
bishops, using statistics. But he also shows how to play against the
bishop pair, and the technique outlined is not that which I learned from
most books of instruction. Numerous examples are given.

While the bishops prevail on the whole, there are far more cases which
are good for the knights than I had expected, but only if the player
with the knights disregards the old rules.

William Hyde