Subject: Re: Why did you delete the message I posted in this group?
From: nope@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 10:25:04 -0400
 by: A Friend - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 14:25 UTC

In article <7e860be3-80bd-42ba-be12-a524fe9554d0n@googlegroups.com>,
cytootec <axa045beso@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why did you delete the message I posted in this group?

Nobody deleted anything. I'm looking right now at the previous message
you posted.

You asked who the "admin" was here. There isn't one. This is usenet,
which is unmoderated.

Re: Why did you delete the message I posted in this group?

<ugc50a$lip$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=19526&group=alt.obituaries#19526

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 19:15:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 19:15 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <7e860be3-80bd-42ba-be12-a524fe9554d0n@googlegroups.com>,
> cytootec <axa045beso@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Why did you delete the message I posted in this group?
>

> Nobody deleted anything. I'm looking right now at the previous message
> you posted.
>
> You asked who the "admin" was here. There isn't one. This is usenet,
> which is unmoderated.

Technically,some Usenet groups are moderated,but altnet is the unmoderated
alternative to Usenet.("Usenet" is not a generic term for the entire NNTP
world).

-=-=-

Re: Why did you delete the message I posted in this group?

<ugcb3m$3dh65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=19529&group=alt.obituaries#19529

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 20:59:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 20:59 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>>cytootec <axa045beso@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Why did you delete the message I posted in this group?

>>Nobody deleted anything. I'm looking right now at the previous message
>>you posted.

>>You asked who the "admin" was here. There isn't one. This is usenet,
>>which is unmoderated.

>Technically,some Usenet groups are moderated,but altnet is the unmoderated
>alternative to Usenet.("Usenet" is not a generic term for the entire NNTP
>world).

There absolutely are moderated alt.* newsgroups.

alt.* was always part of Usenet. "altnet" was a term when the "backbone
cabal" was incredibly strict with what newsgroups it would carry and its
administrators wouldn't create groups for nonwork topics. Articles in
those newsgroups were distributed by other means. That hasn't been the
case for the last 3 1/2 decades.

If a server carries alt.* groups, then articles are received from peers
like other articles.

The moderator of a newsgroup isn't its owner. Fluffy owns Usenet.

Re: Why did you delete the message I posted in this group?

<ugd712$em1$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=19535&group=alt.obituaries#19535

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 04:56:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 04:56 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>>A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>>>Nobody deleted anything. I'm looking right now at the previous message
>>>you posted.
>
>>>You asked who the "admin" was here. There isn't one. This is usenet,
>>>which is unmoderated.
>
>>Technically,some Usenet groups are moderated,but altnet is the unmoderated
>>alternative to Usenet.("Usenet" is not a generic term for the entire NNTP
>>world).
>
> There absolutely are moderated alt.* newsgroups.
>
> alt.* was always part of Usenet. "altnet" was a term when the "backbone
> cabal" was incredibly strict with what newsgroups it would carry and its
> administrators wouldn't create groups for nonwork topics. Articles in
> those newsgroups were distributed by other means. That hasn't been the
> case for the last 3 1/2 decades.

"Usenet" is the Big 7 plus official additions thereto.
"Netnews" is the umbrella description of newsgroups.
> If a server carries alt.* groups, then articles are received from peers
> like other articles.
>
> The moderator of a newsgroup isn't its owner. Fluffy owns Usenet.

Fluffy who?

-=-=-

Re: Why did you delete the message I posted in this group?

<uge84t$3t6ee$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=19539&group=alt.obituaries#19539

From: Travoltron@fakeemail.com (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 07:21:15 -0700
 by: Travoltron - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:21 UTC

His messages do seem to be getting deleted. I'm not seeing the first
post about the Lois Lane lady.

Also not seeing the first post about the Lost in Space guy.

Re: Why did you delete the message I posted in this group?

<uged9t$3tugf$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=19540&group=alt.obituaries#19540

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:49:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:49 UTC

Travoltron <Travoltron@fakeemail.com> wrote:

Please quote when you post a followup so your remarks aren't out of
context.

>His messages do seem to be getting deleted. I'm not seeing the first
>post about the Lois Lane lady.

>Also not seeing the first post about the Lost in Space guy.

Ray Banana has been running SpamAssasin against articles injected
through Google Groups with a certain type of spam, and then creating
NoCeM notices which, when processed, delete targeted articles already
received if the local News site accepts them. NoCeM is very different
from a cancel control message.

If these were false positives caught by SpamAssasin, it would be nice to
know. All he had to do was repost. Instead, we got whining.

The spam being targeted was the drug spam and lots of articles posted in
Asian languages. These articles were being posted in the 10s of
thousands.

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Why did you delete the message I posted in this group?