One small step for man, one giant stumble for mankind.

interests / alt.usage.english / Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

SubjectAuthor
* Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Dingbat
+* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Bertel Lund Hansen
|+- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Athel Cornish-Bowden
|+* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Athel Cornish-Bowden
||`- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Bertel Lund Hansen
|+* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Jerry Friedman
||+* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Dingbat
|||+- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Jerry Friedman
|||`- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Dingbat
||`* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Bertel Lund Hansen
|| `* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Jerry Friedman
||  `- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Dingbat
|`- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Dingbat
+* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?J. J. Lodder
> [...]
| ||   `- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Bertel Lund Hansen
| |`* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Bertel Lund Hansen
| | +* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Sam Plusnet
| | |`* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?occam
| | | +* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Peter Moylan
| | | `- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Athel Cornish-Bowden
| | `- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Bob Martin
| `* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?J. J. Lodder
|  +* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Sam Plusnet
|  |`- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?J. J. Lodder
|  `- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?occam
`* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Silvano
 +- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Athel Cornish-Bowden
 +* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Jerry Friedman
 |+- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?lar3ryca
 |+* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Bertel Lund Hansen
 ||+- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?bil...@shaw.ca
 ||+* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Athel Cornish-Bowden
 |||`- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Jerry Friedman
 ||+* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Jerry Friedman
 |||+- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Jerry Friedman
 |||`- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Bertel Lund Hansen
 ||`- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Rich Ulrich
 |`- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Dingbat
 `* Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?TonyCooper
  `- Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?Silvano

Pages:123
Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<827ce0f5-0cb4-408a-9884-a04abb749c5dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198239&group=alt.usage.english#198239

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 23:46:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?
From: ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com (Dingbat)
 by: Dingbat - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 07:46 UTC

A Dane posts here; perhaps he knows the answer.

Denmark's Prince Christian swears fealty to the Danish Constitution
on Nov 14, thereby qualifying to be appointed as regent the event that
both HM Queen Margrethe II and HRH Crown Prince Frederik are
prevented from governing.
<https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/hrh-prince-christian-in-the-council-of-state>

I comment:
0) That reminds me of Christian X, hence the comments.
1) Nov 14 is Nehru's birthday and celebrated in India as Children's Day.
2) At 18, Christian seems a trifle young to be regent. A regent can also
take over when the monarch decides to be absent from governance.
This happened in Belgium when King Baudouin absented himself from
presiding over a vote on the legality of abortion; his brother Albert took
his place for that one event.
3) The last reigning Christian, his great-grandfather Christian X, was king
of Iceland too where they spelled his name as Kristján X. He helped
finance the evacuation of Denmark's Jews to neutral Sweden to save
them from a planned Nazi roundup. His insignia was a symbol of the
Danish Resistance which seems to make him their mascot; yet, the
Nazis let him continue reigning, even after he infuriated Hitler by
responding to an effusive 72nd birthday greeting with a laconic
'Many thanks'.
4) Christian X once dismissed Parliament and caught flak, barely
retaining his throne by letting himself be reduced to a constitutional
monarch. That's presumably why royals now have to swear fealty to
the Constitution.
5) The putative Frederik X and Christian XI don't have numbers after
their names, presumably because they are not yet reigning.
6) Iceland continues with offbeat names for Danish royals; Margrethe is
Þórhildur to them (which translates to Thorhilda/ Torhilda in Old/ Modern
Danish). Margrethe curiously also has an English name Daisy; I can't
imagine why she needs one since her British royal cousins are surely
able to Anglicize her name as Margaret!

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<uj1vhj$1m1as$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198242&group=alt.usage.english#198242

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 09:29:39 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:29 UTC

Dingbat wrote:

> Subject: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

She doesn't. That was a nickname that her mother used. Her (Margrethe's)
favourite flower is a daisy, and she has a brooch made like a daisy.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fU0dx7MR_hE/VAb4MhZDhfI/AAAAAAAACh8/E6YlW1V-eeQ/s1600/daisy.jpg

> A Dane posts here; perhaps he knows the answer.

There are two of us, but one of us can't restrain himself.

> Denmark's Prince Christian swears fealty to the Danish Constitution
> on Nov 14, thereby qualifying to be appointed as regent the event that
> both HM Queen Margrethe II and HRH Crown Prince Frederik are
> prevented from governing.
> <https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/hrh-prince-christian-in-the-council-of-state>
>
> I comment:
> 0) That reminds me of Christian X, hence the comments.
> 1) Nov 14 is Nehru's birthday and celebrated in India as Children's Day.
> 2) At 18, Christian seems a trifle young to be regent. A regent can also
> take over when the monarch decides to be absent from governance.
> This happened in Belgium when King Baudouin absented himself from
> presiding over a vote on the legality of abortion; his brother Albert took
> his place for that one event.

You need to remember that our monarch doesn't have real power. It's just
a formality that they take part in the state board. Queen Margrethe uses
her "power" to reject laws that are sloppily formulated or contain
errors.

Our constitution mentions the King and says that he can decide this and
that. But § 12 specifies that "his" decisions are to be carried out by
his ministers, and that is the stipulation that puts him out of real
power.

It really says "the King" and "he" all through, not "the Regent" or "the
Majesty". There are no plans to change this.

> 3) The last reigning Christian, his great-grandfather Christian X, was king
> of Iceland too where they spelled his name as Kristján X.

In Sønderjylland he was knows as "Kritte Kryds" - "Kritte" is short for
"Christian" and "kryds" means "cross".

> He helped
> finance the evacuation of Denmark's Jews to neutral Sweden to save
> them from a planned Nazi roundup. His insignia was a symbol of the
> Danish Resistance which seems to make him their mascot; yet, the
> Nazis let him continue reigning, even after he infuriated Hitler by
> responding to an effusive 72nd birthday greeting with a laconic
> 'Many thanks'.

Danes is an "aryan" tribe and thus popular with the nazis (old and new).
Besides, due to the special policy that the Danish government set up
with the Germans, we had access to certain favours. If Hitler didn't
react to the insult, I suppose he didn't want to disturb the
relationship. Denmark supplied a lot of goods to the Germans.

> 4) Christian X once dismissed Parliament and caught flak, barely
> retaining his throne by letting himself be reduced to a constitutional
> monarch. That's presumably why royals now have to swear fealty to
> the Constitution.

Christian X was the link between the former kings that had real power
and the modern monarch who has none. It's no wonder that he was in doubt
about what his real role was supposed to be. That was made clear through
the calamity.

> 5) The putative Frederik X and Christian XI don't have numbers after
> their names, presumably because they are not yet reigning.

Yes. They might die before becoming Kings and thus upset the number
sequence which Margrethe so nicely has put in order. The Frederiks were
behind because of a king named Hans.

> 6) Iceland continues with offbeat names for Danish royals;

I believe that Icelanders like to be an independent country with their
own culture.

> Margrethe is Þórhildur to them (which translates to Thorhilda/ Torhilda
> in Old/ Modern Danish).

Her full name is actually Margrethe Alexandrine Þórhildur Ingrid, so
it's no problem.

> Margrethe curiously also has an English name Daisy; I can't
> imagine why she needs one since her British royal cousins are surely
> able to Anglicize her name as Margaret!

Of course, but I have explained that.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<krje8hFs06gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198243&group=alt.usage.english#198243

From: athel.cb@gmail.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 09:36:33 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:36 UTC

On 2023-11-15 08:29:39 +0000, Bertel Lund Hansen said:

> [...]
>> retaining his throne by letting himself be reduced to a constitutional
>> monarch. That's presumably why royals now have to swear fealty to
>> the Constitution.
>
> Christian X was the link between the former kings that had real power
> and the modern monarch who has none. It's no wonder that he was in doubt
> about what his real role was supposed to be. That was made clear through
> the calamity.
>
>> 5) The putative Frederik X and Christian XI don't have numbers after
>> their names, presumably because they are not yet reigning.
>
> Yes. They might die before becoming Kings and thus upset the number
> sequence which Margrethe so nicely has put in order. The Frederiks were
> behind because of a king named Hans.
>
>> 6) Iceland continues with offbeat names for Danish royals;
>
> I believe that Icelanders like to be an independent country with their

Of course. Iceland is indeed an independent country, and does have a
distinctive culture.

>> Margrethe is Þórhildur to them (which translates to Thorhilda/ Torhilda
>> in Old/ Modern Danish).
>
> Her full name is actually Margrethe Alexandrine Þórhildur Ingrid, so
> it's no problem.
>
>> Margrethe curiously also has an English name Daisy; I can't
>> imagine why she needs one since her British royal cousins are surely
>> able to Anglicize her name as Margaret!
>
> Of course, but I have explained that.

--
athel cb : Biochemical Evolution, Garland Science, 2016

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<krjeekFs17rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198244&group=alt.usage.english#198244

From: athel.cb@gmail.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 09:39:48 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:39 UTC

On 2023-11-15 08:29:39 +0000, Bertel Lund Hansen said:

> Dingbat wrote:
>

>> [ … ]
>>
>> Margrethe curiously also has an English name Daisy; I can't
>> imagine why she needs one since her British royal cousins are surely
>> able to Anglicize her name as Margaret!
>
> Of course, but I have explained that.

Dingbat has a perfectly good name (Ranjit Mathews, if I remember
rightly), so why does he need to call himself Dingbat?

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<uj24sd$1mpsj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198249&group=alt.usage.english#198249

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:00:45 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 10:00 UTC

Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> Dingbat has a perfectly good name (Ranjit Mathews, if I remember
> rightly), so why does he need to call himself Dingbat?

Search me.

Queen Margrethe doesn't call herself "Daisy". I do not know if anyone
does. If there are any they will be close family.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<1qk8gmx.1wdf3zm1q1lzpcN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198251&group=alt.usage.english#198251

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:14:27 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 10:14 UTC

Dingbat <ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Subject: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?
> A Dane posts here; perhaps he knows the answer.

Wrong question.
Right question: why do so many English have Danish names?

The Memorable answer is that the Danes made a Danelaw,
which proved beyond reasonable doubt that all of right half
of England belonged to them.
(because there was nobody else left alive there)

Jan

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<krjnnsFubdbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198254&group=alt.usage.english#198254

From: athel.cb@gmail.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:18:20 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:18 UTC

On 2023-11-15 10:14:27 +0000, J. J. Lodder said:

> Dingbat <ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Subject: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?
>> A Dane posts here; perhaps he knows the answer.
>
> Wrong question.
> Right question: why do so many English have Danish names?

Not me! My ancestors mostly came from the south-west, and the Danelaw
didn't reach there.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<uj2a2o$1nje8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198255&group=alt.usage.english#198255

From: occam@erewhon.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:29:27 +0100
 by: occam - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:29 UTC

On 15/11/2023 11:14, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Dingbat <ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Subject: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?
>> A Dane posts here; perhaps he knows the answer.
>
> Wrong question.
> Right question: why do so many English have Danish names?
>
> The Memorable answer is that the Danes made a Danelaw,
> which proved beyond reasonable doubt that all of right half
> of England belonged to them.
> (because there was nobody else left alive there)

You fail to mention that the reason there was no one left alive there
was because of the Viking raids (Danes and other Norsemen), who had
decimated the local towna and villages.

St. Brice's Day massacres (by Athelred the Unready) were an act of
revenge.

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<88ad5bc6-5e12-4f58-ad08-91b4f78dc2a5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198259&group=alt.usage.english#198259

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 06:33:37 -0800 (PST)
From: jerry.friedman99@gmail.com (Jerry Friedman)
 by: Jerry Friedman - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:33 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 1:29:45 AM UTC-7, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:
> Dingbat wrote:
>
> > Subject: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?
> She doesn't. That was a nickname that her mother used. Her (Margrethe's)
> favourite flower is a daisy, and she has a brooch made like a daisy.

I imagine it's relevant that one French word for "daisy" is "marguerite". It's
been used in English:

https://www.poetrynook.com/poem/villanelle-marguerites-0

(According to wordreference.com, daisies can also be "pâquerettes"
in French.)

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<7034b7eb-677a-4e7b-aa85-0d7e4569d80dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198268&group=alt.usage.english#198268

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:10:40 -0800 (PST)
From: ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com (Dingbat)
 by: Dingbat - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:10 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 1:59:45 PM UTC+5:30, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:
> Dingbat wrote:
> > 6) Iceland continues with offbeat names for Danish royals;
> I believe that Icelanders like to be an independent country with their
> own culture.
> > Margrethe is Þórhildur to them (which translates to Thorhilda/ Torhilda
> > in Old/ Modern Danish).
> Her full name is actually Margrethe Alexandrine Þórhildur Ingrid, so
> it's no problem.

She wouldn't have been given that name if Iceland had been independent
when she was born. FWIW, it seems to be her only given (uninherited) name:

<<She was named Margrethe after her late maternal grandmother, Margaret,
Crown Princess of Sweden, Alexandrine after her paternal grandmother,
Queen Alexandrine, and Ingrid after her mother. Since her paternal
grandfather was also the King of Iceland, she was given the Icelandic name
Þórhildur.[8]>>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margrethe_II_of_Denmark>

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<MPG.3fbf0030e2815af9989ac7@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198270&group=alt.usage.english#198270

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:20:39 -0000
 by: Janet - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:20 UTC

In article <uj2a2o$1nje8$1@dont-email.me>,
occam@erewhon.nix says...

> On 15/11/2023 11:14, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> > Dingbat <ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Subject: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?
> >> A Dane posts here; perhaps he knows the answer.
> >
> > Wrong question.
> > Right question: why do so many English have Danish names?
> >
> > The Memorable answer is that the Danes made a Danelaw,
> > which proved beyond reasonable doubt that all of right half
> > of England belonged to them.
> > (because there was nobody else left alive there)
> >

> You fail to mention that the reason there was no one left alive there
> was because of the Viking raids (Danes and other Norsemen), who had
> decimated the local towna and villages.

If they only decimated the local towns and villages,
surely there were some still standing and some people left
alive? Like 90%.

Janet

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<2ad7cb4d-d6f6-4b4d-b2ef-8e2e9a3e85can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198271&group=alt.usage.english#198271

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:32:21 -0800 (PST)
From: ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com (Dingbat)
 by: Dingbat - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:32 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 8:03:41 PM UTC+5:30, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 1:29:45 AM UTC-7, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:
> > Dingbat wrote:
> >
> > > Subject: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?
> > She doesn't. That was a nickname that her mother used. Her (Margrethe's)
> > favourite flower is a daisy, and she has a brooch made like a daisy.
>
> I imagine it's relevant that one French word for "daisy" is "marguerite". It's
> been used in English:
> https://www.poetrynook.com/poem/villanelle-marguerites-0

The poet must have been a Francophile to use it in English with that French
meaning? It originally meant Pearl:

<<Greek μαργαρίτης (margarítēs) meaning "pearl".[1]
It is also a French name for the ox-eye daisy flower.>>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marguerite_(given_name)>

> (According to wordreference.com, daisies can also be "pâquerettes"
> in French.)

.... because of an association with the time of Easter & Passover both of
which can get called Pâque in French. In this, they're only pâquerettes:
guirlande de pâquerettes {f} daisy chain
<https://en.bab.la/dictionary/french-english/p%C3%A2querette>

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<krkad7F47quU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198272&group=alt.usage.english#198272

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:36:55 +0100
 by: occam - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:36 UTC

On 15/11/2023 17:20, Janet wrote:
> In article <uj2a2o$1nje8$1@dont-email.me>,
> occam@erewhon.nix says...

>>> Wrong question.
>>> Right question: why do so many English have Danish names?
>>>
>>> The Memorable answer is that the Danes made a Danelaw,
>>> which proved beyond reasonable doubt that all of right half
>>> of England belonged to them.
>>> (because there was nobody else left alive there)
>>>

>> You fail to mention that the reason there was no one left alive there
>> was because of the Viking raids (Danes and other Norsemen), who had
>> decimated the local towna and villages.
>
> If they only decimated the local towns and villages,
> surely there were some still standing and some people left
> alive? Like 90%.

Yes, but you're still a pedant. </smile>

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<uj2sej$1qjas$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198274&group=alt.usage.english#198274

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:42:59 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:42 UTC

Jerry Friedman wrote:

>>> Subject: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?
>> She doesn't. That was a nickname that her mother used. Her (Margrethe's)
>> favourite flower is a daisy, and she has a brooch made like a daisy.
>
> I imagine it's relevant that one French word for "daisy" is "marguerite".

No doubt.

> It's been used in English:

It's the normal name for the flower in Danish.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<uj2sk9$1qkce$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198276&group=alt.usage.english#198276

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:46:01 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:46 UTC

Janet wrote:

>> You fail to mention that the reason there was no one left alive there
>> was because of the Viking raids (Danes and other Norsemen), who had
>> decimated the local towna and villages.
>
> If they only decimated the local towns and villages,
> surely there were some still standing and some people left
> alive? Like 90%.

That depends on whether the word is used with it's original meaning,
which you refer to, or the modern where it means "reduced to 10%". That,
by the way, is what I thought for a long time.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<MPG.3fbf11dd924112ff989ac8@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198278&group=alt.usage.english#198278

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:35:58 -0000
 by: Janet - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:35 UTC

In article <krkad7F47quU1@mid.individual.net>,
occam@nowhere.nix says...

> On 15/11/2023 17:20, Janet wrote:
> > In article <uj2a2o$1nje8$1@dont-email.me>,
> > occam@erewhon.nix says...

> >> You fail to mention that the reason there was no one left alive there
> >> was because of the Viking raids (Danes and other Norsemen), who had
> >> decimated the local towna and villages.
> >
> > If they only decimated the local towns and villages,
> > surely there were some still standing and some people left
> > alive? Like 90%.
> >

> Yes, but you're still a pedant. </smile>

Most of us survived the Vikings.

Janet

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<uj306p$1r8o3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198279&group=alt.usage.english#198279

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 18:47:05 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:47 UTC

Janet wrote:

>>> If they only decimated the local towns and villages,
>>> surely there were some still standing and some people left
>>> alive? Like 90%.
>>>

>> Yes, but you're still a pedant. </smile>
>
> Most of us survived the Vikings.

For all I know you may have Viking blood in your veins.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<991aac48-0018-4aa0-923c-6cc15d4b70d2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198280&group=alt.usage.english#198280

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 09:55:33 -0800 (PST)
From: jerry.friedman99@gmail.com (Jerry Friedman)
 by: Jerry Friedman - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:55 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 9:43:05 AM UTC-7, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:

> >> She doesn't. That was a nickname that her mother used. Her (Margrethe's)
> >> favourite flower is a daisy, and she has a brooch made like a daisy.
> >
> > I imagine it's relevant that one French word for "daisy" is "marguerite".

> No doubt.

> > It's been used in English:

> It's the normal name for the flower in Danish.

That's probably even more relevant.

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<ba497a7c-a113-4d32-aeb3-ff5eafef98d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198281&group=alt.usage.english#198281

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 10:02:24 -0800 (PST)
From: jerry.friedman99@gmail.com (Jerry Friedman)
 by: Jerry Friedman - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 18:02 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 9:32:24 AM UTC-7, Dingbat wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 8:03:41 PM UTC+5:30, Jerry Friedman wrote:

> > > She doesn't. That was a nickname that her mother used. Her (Margrethe's)
> > > favourite flower is a daisy, and she has a brooch made like a daisy.
> >
> > I imagine it's relevant that one French word for "daisy" is "marguerite". It's
> > been used in English:
> > https://www.poetrynook.com/poem/villanelle-marguerites-0
> >
> The poet must have been a Francophile to use it in English with that French
> meaning?

He was a francophile--he published several translations from French. But I
don't know whether you can tell from his use of "marguerites". This garden
writer, from Dowson's time, doesn't show much trace of francophilia, so
maybe it was a normal word then.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ondIAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA178&

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<1qk8wrr.1yp0300zeecj2N%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198284&group=alt.usage.english#198284

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:15:52 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 18:15 UTC

occam <occam@erewhon.nix> wrote:

> On 15/11/2023 11:14, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> > Dingbat <ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Subject: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?
> >> A Dane posts here; perhaps he knows the answer.
> >
> > Wrong question.
> > Right question: why do so many English have Danish names?
> >
> > The Memorable answer is that the Danes made a Danelaw,
> > which proved beyond reasonable doubt that all of right half
> > of England belonged to them.
> > (because there was nobody else left alive there)
> >

> You fail to mention that the reason there was no one left alive there
> was because of the Viking raids (Danes and other Norsemen), who had
> decimated the local towna and villages.

Sufficiently implied, I thought.

> St. Brice's Day massacres (by Athelred the Unready) were an act of
> revenge.

Those are Not Memorable,

Jan

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<eb95N.26073$Ee89.10898@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198293&group=alt.usage.english#198293

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:43:06 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:43 UTC

On 15-Nov-23 17:47, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:

>>> Yes, but you're still a pedant. </smile>
>>
>> Most of us survived the Vikings.
>
> For all I know you may have Viking blood in your veins.

It'd be silly to keep it anywhere else.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<pd95N.26074$Ee89.2292@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198295&group=alt.usage.english#198295

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:45:25 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:45 UTC

On 15-Nov-23 16:46, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:
> Janet wrote:
>
>>> You fail to mention that the reason there was no one left alive there
>>> was because of the Viking raids (Danes and other Norsemen), who had
>>> decimated the local towna and villages.
>>
>> If they only decimated the local towns and villages,
>> surely there were some still standing and some people left
>> alive? Like 90%.
>
> That depends on whether the word is used with it's original meaning,
> which you refer to, or the modern where it means "reduced to 10%". That,
> by the way, is what I thought for a long time.

Surely the 'modern' meaning is:

"one helluvalot' - who cares about this mathematical stuff!"

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<sf95N.26075$Ee89.347@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198296&group=alt.usage.english#198296

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:47:36 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:47 UTC

On 15-Nov-23 18:15, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> occam <occam@erewhon.nix> wrote:

>>> Wrong question.
>>> Right question: why do so many English have Danish names?
>>>
>>> The Memorable answer is that the Danes made a Danelaw,
>>> which proved beyond reasonable doubt that all of right half
>>> of England belonged to them.
>>> (because there was nobody else left alive there)
>>>

>> You fail to mention that the reason there was no one left alive there
>> was because of the Viking raids (Danes and other Norsemen), who had
>> decimated the local towna and villages.
>
> Sufficiently implied, I thought.
>
>> St. Brice's Day massacres (by Athelred the Unready) were an act of
>> revenge.
>
> Those are Not Memorable,

'Course not. Predates 1066 (and all that).

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<uj3877$1sf79$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198300&group=alt.usage.english#198300

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:03:51 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:03 UTC

On 2023-11-15 13:43, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>>    Most of us survived the Vikings.
>>
>> For all I know you may have Viking blood in your veins.
>
> It'd be silly to keep it anywhere else.

A short time ago, you were keeping it in your arteries.

--
I have an unpredictable camera.
It's a loose Canon.

Re: Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?

<3f9360b2-530f-435e-b792-96a4fc94cd7dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=198302&group=alt.usage.english#198302

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:24:38 -0800 (PST)
From: billvan@shaw.ca (bil...@shaw.ca)
 by: bil...@shaw.ca - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:24 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 11:43:11 AM UTC-8, Sam Plusnet wrote:

> >> Most of us survived the Vikings.
> >
> > For all I know you may have Viking blood in your veins.
> It'd be silly to keep it anywhere else.

Actually, it keeps fairly well in one of those plastic bags the
Red Cross uses to store donated blood, suitably cooled.

interests / alt.usage.english / Why does Denmark's Queen Margrethe need an English name?