Newsgroups: rec.gambling.lottery
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 03:56:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Bayes Theorem, Conditional Probabilities, Lottery
From: ionsaliu@gmail.com (Ion Saliu)
 by: Ion Saliu - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 10:56 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 6:41:28 PM UTC+2, Ion Saliu wrote:
> On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 8:01:16 PM UTC-4, duncan smith wrote:
>
> "An impossible event with probability zero - you think that's absurd? The point is that even if you have mutually exclusive events, if you plug the correct probabilities into Bayes theorem you get the correct answer."
> Cardinal confusion: Event of probability 0 (impossibility) equated to ABSURDITY.
>
> Look at the absurdity of applying (attempt) Bayes' Theory to a mutually exclusive event (e.g. coin toss) -
>
> P('Heads' | 'Tails') = P('Heads') * P('Tails') / P('Heads') = (1/2 * 1/2) / 1/2 = 1/2 = 0
>
> The absurdity: 1/2 = 0 (a number greater than 0 is equal to 0). You can't simply say: "Make it 0 by definition". That's insane!
>
> That's why the Bayes Theorem does NOT -- repeat, does NOT -- apply to mutually exclusive events. "If 'Woman' is true, then the probability of 'Man' is 1/2 = 50%"!!! Bayes' Theorem correctly applies as in, for example: "If 'Man' is true, then the probability of 'Republican' is 55%... or something like that.
> "10% of the cast votes in the US election is a very large sample."
> Only in your crazy mind! The Pennsylvania case in 2012 was extreme. Philadelphia was the key, with a large number of Black voters who decided to vote in very large numbers. They voted Democrat 95%. In most cases, the predictions ('projections', as they say on TV) will not be made even if 60% of the votes were counted. In another extreme case, Florida 2000, wrong 'projections' were made after 90% of the votes were counted!
> Ion Saliu,
> Founder of: Probability Theory of Life, Randomness Politics
> http://saliu.com/dirty-election.html

• There is a new useful feature for reading the Usenet posts in Google Groups. The vast majority of newsgroup members use GROUPS.GOOGLE.COM to post and read on the Internet pioneering service, Usenet.

One drawback of the Google service, very useful otherwise, is the default font. It is a proportional font (of variable-width, that is). However, initially Usenet was written and shown in a monospace font.

Many of the statistical reports I posted did not show up in an acceptable format. The original format was in the typewriter format 9the Courier font). I shall inventory the most important posts in this newsgroup and refer the readers to this important thread. Viewing will be better off overall.

It is quite easy and simple to add this useful feature to two of your browsers: Chrome and Firefox. Just read this axiomatic thread:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.gambling.lottery/c/xj1oUsXz5oo?hl=en
• Usenet Redivivus! Best Post Viewing in Google Groups