Newsgroups: rec.gambling.lottery
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 04:11:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Odds of Powerball or Mega Millions Jackpot Winner Based on Number
of Tickets Played
From: ionsaliu@gmail.com (Ion Saliu)
 by: Ion Saliu - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 11:11 UTC

On Thursday, October 7, 2021 at 2:38:38 PM UTC+3, Ion Saliu wrote:
> This question arises every time the jackpots reach dizzying heights.
>
> “What are the odds that at least one ticket will win the Powerball jackpot based on the amount of prize money, sales, or number of tickets sold?”
>
> There are accurate answers based on three mathematical methods.
>
> 1) If a number of tickets N were sold over several drawings, what is the degree of certainty (commonly known as chance) that at least one ticket will hold the jackpot (the winning combination)?
>
> 2) If a number of tickets N were sold in this particular draw, what is the degree of certainty that at least one ticket will hold the jackpot (the winning combination)?
>
> 3) In the case of rollovers, we know the number of tickets N sold in each drawing. We can calculate the average degree of certainty or chance. Then, we can apply the probability of at least one success in a number of trials (draws).
>
> I go with method 3, although it leads to a result very close to the calculation of method 1.
>
> You can see the in-depth analysis and make an educated decision:
>
> • https://saliu.com/powerball-jackpot-odds.html

Ultra Axiomatics:

• There is a new useful feature for reading the Usenet posts in Google Groups. The vast majority of newsgroup members use GROUPS.GOOGLE.COM to post and read on the Internet pioneering service, Usenet.

One drawback of the Google service, very useful otherwise, is the default font. It is a proportional font (of variable-width, that is). However, initially Usenet was written and shown in a monospace font.

Many of the statistical reports I posted over the years did not show up in an acceptable format. The original format was in the typewriter format (the Courier font). I shall inventory the most important posts in this newsgroup and refer the readers to this important thread. Viewing will be better off overall.

It is quite easy and simple to add this useful feature to two of your browsers: Chrome and Firefox. Just read this axiomatic thread:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.gambling.lottery/c/xj1oUsXz5oo?hl=en
• Usenet Redivivus! Best Post Viewing in Google Groups