Most general statements are false, including this one. -- Alexander Dumas

interests / alt.usage.english / for being loud

SubjectAuthor
* for being loudarthurvv vart
+* Re: for being loudSnidely
|+- Re: for being loudbil...@shaw.ca
|+- Re: for being loudAthel Cornish-Bowden
|`- Re: for being loudHibou
+* Re: for being loudPamela
|`- Re: for being loudJanet
`* Re: for being loudJerry Friedman
 +* Re: for being loudHibou
 |+- Re: for being loudAthel Cornish-Bowden
 |`* Re: for being loudSnidely
 | `- Re: for being loudAthel Cornish-Bowden
 `- Re: for being loudMarius_Hancu

1
for being loud

<950b32a7-8f5c-4468-9c08-4748131e0c1dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=201737&group=alt.usage.english#201737

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 16:30:58 -0800 (PST)
Subject: for being loud
From: arthurvarr@gmail.com (arthurvv vart)
 by: arthurvv vart - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 00:30 UTC

1) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of being very loud.
2) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of his being very loud.

3) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of being very loud.
4) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of his being very loud.

5) We heard a lot of criticism of him for being very loud.
6) We heard a lot of criticism of him for his being very loud.

Which are grammatical and meaningful?

My problem with all of them is that they seem to be giving a reason
for why we heard the criticism, not the content of the criticism. Obviously
it boils down to the same thing, but to me they all sound strange.

Gratefully,
Navi

Lost in the Twilight Zone of the English language
Interested in strange structures
Obsessed with ambiguity

Re: for being loud

<mn.e40d7e811ee7581e.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=201743&group=alt.usage.english#201743

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: for being loud
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 17:17:22 -0800
 by: Snidely - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 01:17 UTC

On Sunday, arthurvv vart queried:

> 1) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of being very loud.
> 2) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of his being very loud.
>
> 3) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of being very loud.
> 4) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of his being very loud.
>
> 5) We heard a lot of criticism of him for being very loud.
> 6) We heard a lot of criticism of him for his being very loud.
>
> Which are grammatical and meaningful?

At first glance, all of them, but some are clumsy. I think I prefer
#5.

> My problem with all of them is that they seem to be giving a reason
> for why we heard the criticism, not the content of the criticism. Obviously
> it boils down to the same thing, but to me they all sound strange.

I can see how you can see that, especially for 1-4. One solution would
be 5a:

5a) We heard a lot of criticism of his being very loud.

but perhaps that changes the semantics to just one trait being
criticized, shifting the focus from him to the trait.

Or we could try
7a) Because he is very loud, we hear a lot of criticism of him.

> Gratefully,
> Navi
>
> Lost in the Twilight Zone of the English language
> Interested in strange structures
> Obsessed with ambiguity

/dps "obsessed with context"

--
"Inviting people to laugh with you while you are laughing at yourself
is a good thing to do, You may be a fool but you're the fool in

Re: for being loud

<29f56907-6ad9-4de0-82e8-f304c352b61cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=201754&group=alt.usage.english#201754

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 22:00:54 -0800 (PST)
From: billvan@shaw.ca (bil...@shaw.ca)
 by: bil...@shaw.ca - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 06:00 UTC

On Sunday, January 28, 2024 at 5:17:38 PM UTC-8, Snidely wrote:
> On Sunday, arthurvv vart queried:
> > 1) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of being very loud.
> > 2) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of his being very loud..
> >
> > 3) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of being very loud.
> > 4) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of his being very loud..
> >
> > 5) We heard a lot of criticism of him for being very loud.
> > 6) We heard a lot of criticism of him for his being very loud.
> >
> > Which are grammatical and meaningful?
> At first glance, all of them, but some are clumsy. I think I prefer
> #5.
> >
> > My problem with all of them is that they seem to be giving a reason
> > for why we heard the criticism, not the content of the criticism. Obviously
> > it boils down to the same thing, but to me they all sound strange.
> I can see how you can see that, especially for 1-4. One solution would
> be 5a:
>
> 5a) We heard a lot of criticism of his being very loud.

Seems unlikely. If he was that loud, we wouldn't be able to hear
any of the criticism.

bill

Re: for being loud

<l1p2u6FrdnrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=201762&group=alt.usage.english#201762

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 08:37:41 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 07:37 UTC

On 2024-01-29 01:17:22 +0000, Snidely said:

> On Sunday, arthurvv vart queried:
>
>> 1) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of being very loud.
>> 2) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of his being very loud.
>>
>> 3) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of being very loud.
>> 4) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of his being very loud.
>>
>> 5) We heard a lot of criticism of him for being very loud.
>> 6) We heard a lot of criticism of him for his being very loud.
>>
>> Which are grammatical and meaningful?
>
> At first glance, all of them, but some are clumsy. I think I prefer #5.

Yes, that's the only one that sounds more or less natural.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: for being loud

<up7o4m$cpel$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=201768&group=alt.usage.english#201768

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 08:37:42 +0000
 by: Hibou - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 08:37 UTC

Le 29/01/2024 à 01:17, Snidely a écrit :
> On Sunday, arthurvv vart queried:
>
>> 1) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of being very loud.
>> 2) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of his being very loud.
>>
>> 3) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of being very loud.
>> 4) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of his being very loud.
>>
>> 5) We heard a lot of criticism of him for being very loud.
>> 6) We heard a lot of criticism of him for his being very loud.
>>
>> Which are grammatical and meaningful?
>
> At first glance, all of them, but some are clumsy.  I think I prefer #5.
>

>> My problem with all of them is that they seem to  be giving a reason
>> for why we heard the criticism, not the content of the criticism.
>> Obviously
>> it boils down to the same thing, but to me they all sound strange.
>
> I can see how you can see that, especially for 1-4.  One solution would
> be 5a:
>
> 5a) We heard a lot of criticism of his being very loud.
>
> but perhaps that changes the semantics to just one trait being
> criticized, shifting the focus from him to the trait.
>
> Or we could try
> 7a) Because he is very loud, we hear a lot of criticism of him.

We heard him criticised a lot for being very loud.

Re: for being loud

<XnsB1099CCDC4BE45D4AM2@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=201855&group=alt.usage.english#201855

From: pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:24:51 GMT
 by: Pamela - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:24 UTC

On 00:30 29 Jan 2024, arthurvv vart said:

> 1) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of being very loud.
> 2) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of his being very
> loud.
>
> 3) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of being very loud.
> 4) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of his being very
> loud.
>
> 5) We heard a lot of criticism of him for being very loud.
> 6) We heard a lot of criticism of him for his being very loud.
>
> Which are grammatical and meaningful?
>
> My problem with all of them is that they seem to be giving a reason
> for why we heard the criticism, not the content of the criticism.
> Obviously it boils down to the same thing, but to me they all sound
> strange.
>
> Gratefully,
> Navi
>
> Lost in the Twilight Zone of the English language
> Interested in strange structures
> Obsessed with ambiguity

I prefer (2) and (5).

I dislike (6).

Re: for being loud

<012f4eb4-88c3-43da-a624-9a7e7b4c6603n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=201857&group=alt.usage.english#201857

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 07:27:42 -0800 (PST)
From: jerry.friedman99@gmail.com (Jerry Friedman)
 by: Jerry Friedman - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:27 UTC

On Sunday, January 28, 2024 at 5:31:01 PM UTC-7, arthurvv vart wrote:
> 1) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of being very loud.
> 2) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of his being very loud.
>
> 3) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of being very loud.
> 4) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of his being very loud.
>
> 5) We heard a lot of criticism of him for being very loud.
> 6) We heard a lot of criticism of him for his being very loud.
>
> Which are grammatical and meaningful?

All, but only 5 sounds natural to me.

I heard "on account of" from people born before World War I, but I haven't
heard it in decades.

> My problem with all of them is that they seem to be giving a reason
> for why we heard the criticism, not the content of the criticism.

Not true of 5 and 6, and I don't really see it for the others.

> Obviously
> it boils down to the same thing, but to me they all sound strange.

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: for being loud

<MPG.4023345dbc9f1dd3989ba1@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=201860&group=alt.usage.english#201860

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:29:54 -0000
 by: Janet - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:29 UTC

In article <XnsB1099CCDC4BE45D4AM2@135.181.20.170>,
pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com says...

> On 00:30 29 Jan 2024, arthurvv vart said:
>
> > 1) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of being very loud.
> > 2) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of his being very
> > loud.
> >
> > 3) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of being very loud.
> > 4) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of his being very
> > loud.
> >
> > 5) We heard a lot of criticism of him for being very loud.
> > 6) We heard a lot of criticism of him for his being very loud.
> >
> > Which are grammatical and meaningful?
> >
> > My problem with all of them is that they seem to be giving a reason
> > for why we heard the criticism, not the content of the
criticism.

He was criticised for being very loud.

Janet

Re: for being loud

<upb9r8$12d6l$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=201862&group=alt.usage.english#201862

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:58:16 +0000
 by: Hibou - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:58 UTC

Le 30/01/2024 à 15:27, Jerry Friedman a écrit :

> I heard "on account of" from people born before World War I, but I haven't
> heard it in decades. [...]

I'd happily use it, but it's true it's old-fashioned (but then, so am I):

<https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=on+account+of+his+being%3Aeng_gb_2019%2Con+account+of+his+being%3Aeng_us_2019&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&corpus=en-2019&smoothing=3>

Re: for being loud

<l1someFhfu5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=201864&group=alt.usage.english#201864

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 18:07:26 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:07 UTC

On 2024-01-30 16:58:16 +0000, Hibou said:

> Le 30/01/2024 à 15:27, Jerry Friedman a écrit :
>>
>> I heard "on account of" from people born before World War I, but I haven't
>> heard it in decades. [...]
>
> I'd happily use it, but it's true it's old-fashioned (but then, so am I):
>
> <https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=on+account+of+his+being%3Aeng_gb_2019%2Con+account+of+his+being%3Aeng_us_2019&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&corpus=en-2019&smoothing=3>

You surprise me. I regard it as a perfectly ordinary phrase.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: for being loud

<mn.f2b17e81ced0c21f.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=201878&group=alt.usage.english#201878

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:29:49 -0800
 by: Snidely - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:29 UTC

Hibou speculated:
> Le 30/01/2024 à 15:27, Jerry Friedman a écrit :
>>
>> I heard "on account of" from people born before World War I, but I haven't
>> heard it in decades. [...]
>
> I'd happily use it, but it's true it's old-fashioned (but then, so am I):

Something you share with the resident of Owlcroft, except the actual
croft is a fairly modern energy efficient design, and also includes an
induction rangetop.

> <https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=on+account+of+his+being%3Aeng_gb_2019%2Con+account+of+his+being%3Aeng_us_2019&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&corpus=en-2019&smoothing=3>

/dps

--
Rule #0: Don't be on fire.
In case of fire, exit the building before tweeting about it.

Re: for being loud

<l1t67kFjnj0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=201881&group=alt.usage.english#201881

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:58:28 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 20:58 UTC

On 2024-01-30 19:29:49 +0000, Snidely said:

> Hibou speculated:
>> Le 30/01/2024 à 15:27, Jerry Friedman a écrit :
>>>
>>> I heard "on account of" from people born before World War I, but I haven't
>>> heard it in decades. [...]
>>
>> I'd happily use it, but it's true it's old-fashioned (but then, so am I):
>
> Something you share with the resident of Owlcroft,

It's a long time since we heard from Eric.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: for being loud

<47850b80cc41b7ef6572674a19764838@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203632&group=alt.usage.english#203632

From: marius.hancu@gmail.com (Marius_Hancu)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:25:34 +0000
 by: Marius_Hancu - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:25 UTC

Jerry Friedman wrote:

> On Sunday, January 28, 2024 at 5:31:01 PM UTC-7, arthurvv vart wrote:
>> 1) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of being very loud.
>> 2) We heard a lot of criticism of him on account of his being very loud.
>>
>> 3) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of being very loud.
>> 4) We heard a lot of criticism of him on because of his being very loud.
>>
>> 5) We heard a lot of criticism of him for being very loud.
>> 6) We heard a lot of criticism of him for his being very loud.
>>
>> Which are grammatical and meaningful?

> All, but only 5 sounds natural to me.

The _most_ natural to me, 5.

> I heard "on account of" from people born before World War I, but I haven't
> heard it in decades.

I would have said the same, but

https://www.english-corpora.org/coca/

shows some 250 post-2012 examples of "on account of his," say:

~~~
Source MAG: Hollywood Reporter
Date 2016 (16-05-15)
Title 'From the Land of the Moon' ('Mal de pierres'): Cannes Review

But it's always better than the lobotomy a French doctor suggests as an alternative. In this Magic Mountain setting, she meets Lt. Andr? (Garrel), irresistible but gravely ill after returning from France's war in Indochina, and her lust for life revives along with her dangerous flights of fantasy. In addition to being handsome, noble, brave and vulnerable on account of his serious illness, Lt. Andr? also shares Gabrielle's passion for the piano, and his melancholy rendition of Tchaikovsky's Juin -- Barcarolle provides a welcome interruption to composer Daniel Pemberton's violin-heavy score. # Cotillard's performance is luminous throughout
~~~

Best.
--
Marius Hancu