From: arthurvarr@gmail.com (navi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: latest
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 23:34:33 +0000
 by: navi - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 23:34 UTC

1) California's Latest Atmospheric River Is Badly Needed.

Source:
https://www.newsweek.com/california-latest-atmospheric-river-needed-1874274

I suppose this is about the atmospheric river that is coming and not the ones we had.
But has 'latest' been used correctly here? Shouldn't it refer to something in the past?
I think this refers to the prediction. But I am not sure how the sentence works.

Any explanation will be very helpful.

Also, could one replace 'latest' with 'most recent'?

--

Gratefully,
Navi

Lost in the Twilight Zone of the English language
Interested in strange structures
Obsessed with ambiguity

Re: latest

<mn.e3c77e82a1de36f2.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203017&group=alt.usage.english#203017

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: latest
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 16:07:14 -0800
 by: Snidely - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 00:07 UTC

navi noted that:
> 1) California's Latest Atmospheric River Is Badly Needed.
>
> Source:
> https://www.newsweek.com/california-latest-atmospheric-river-needed-1874274
>
> I suppose this is about the atmospheric river that is coming and not the ones
> we had.
> But has 'latest' been used correctly here? Shouldn't it refer to something in
> the past?
> I think this refers to the prediction. But I am not sure how the sentence
> works.
>
> Any explanation will be very helpful.

My explanation is poor editing. I think the sentence is confusing and
should be rewritten. If it is about an atmospheric river that has
already delivered, the verb should be tensed in the past ... "was badly
needed". If it is about one AR that is on the way, "upcoming",
"anticipated", or "expected" would all be better. However, just
changing the tense to "will be badly needed" isn't so good, as that
suggests that that it isn't currently badly needed.

I don't see that the article ever clears up the ambiguity.

/dps "I think Navi has spotted this well"

> Also, could one replace 'latest' with 'most recent'?

Generally, one can.

/dps

--
"I'm glad unicorns don't ever need upgrades."
"We are as up as it is possible to get graded!"

Re: latest

<urp9l7$cs5f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203026&group=alt.usage.english#203026

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 06:53:27 +0000
 by: Hibou - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 06:53 UTC

Le 28/02/2024 à 23:34, navi a écrit :
> 1) California's Latest Atmospheric River Is Badly Needed.
>
> Source:
> https://www.newsweek.com/california-latest-atmospheric-river-needed-1874274
>
> I suppose this is about the atmospheric river that is coming and not the
> ones we had.
> But has 'latest' been used correctly here? Shouldn't it refer to
> something in the past?
> I think this refers to the prediction. But I am not sure how the
> sentence works.
>
> Any explanation will be very helpful.
>
> Also, could one replace 'latest' with 'most recent'?

'Next'.

It doesn't do to be precipitate about precipitation.

Re: latest

<20240229104555.1e2f40a80991f161bfbb2009@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203040&group=alt.usage.english#203040

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:45:55 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:45 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 06:53:27 +0000
Hibou <vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> Le 28/02/2024 à 23:34, navi a écrit :
> > 1) California's Latest Atmospheric River Is Badly Needed.
> >
> > Source:
> > https://www.newsweek.com/california-latest-atmospheric-river-needed-1874274
> >
> > I suppose this is about the atmospheric river that is coming and not the
> > ones we had.
> > But has 'latest' been used correctly here? Shouldn't it refer to
> > something in the past?
> > I think this refers to the prediction. But I am not sure how the
> > sentence works.
> >
> > Any explanation will be very helpful.
> >
> > Also, could one replace 'latest' with 'most recent'?
>
> 'Next'.
>
> It doesn't do to be precipitate about precipitation.

I wouldn't sweat it; it's just a drop in the ocean.
--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.