Never look a gift horse in the mouth. -- Saint Jerome

interests / alt.usage.english / Cuckooing - new UK legislation

SubjectAuthor
* Cuckooing - new UK legislationoccam
+* Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislationJanet
|`- Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislationBertel Lund Hansen
+* Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislationPhil
|`* Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislationKerr-Mudd, John
| `- Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislationSam Plusnet
`* Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislationHibou
 `* Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislationoccam
  `* Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislationHibou
   `- Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislationMarius_Hancu

1
Cuckooing - new UK legislation

<l4g53hF356mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203159&group=alt.usage.english#203159

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Cuckooing - new UK legislation
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:08:17 +0100
 by: occam - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 08:08 UTC

I heard a new (to me) bird related verb this morning - 'cuckooing' - in
relation to a new UK legislation being considered by the UK government.

"Cuckooing is the term used when someone's house is taken over for
criminal activity, including dealing drugs or carrying out sex work."

Other potential verbable birds include: Magpieing (sp?) (hoarding);
crowing (boasting); tweeting (henceforth known as X-ing); etc

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-68158124

Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislation

<MPG.404d1db26b66c78d989bef@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203166&group=alt.usage.english#203166

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislation
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 11:28:23 -0000
 by: Janet - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 11:28 UTC

In article <l4g53hF356mU1@mid.individual.net>,
occam@nowhere.nix says...

> I heard a new (to me) bird related verb this morning - 'cuckooing' - in
> relation to a new UK legislation being considered by the UK government.
>
> "Cuckooing is the term used when someone's house is taken over for
> criminal activity, including dealing drugs or carrying out sex work."
>
> Other potential verbable birds include: Magpieing (sp?) (hoarding);
> crowing (boasting); tweeting (henceforth known as X-ing); etc
>

> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-68158124

Here's another one, "nesting".

"Nesting is a co-parenting arrangement where the parents
take turns living in the family home while the children
reside there full-time. The non-residential parent would
find a separate living arrangement during their 'off-
duty' period"

Empty-nesters; lonely parents whose children have grown
up and flown away.

Janet

Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislation

<urv3dc$1rjhj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203167&group=alt.usage.english#203167

From: phil@anonymous.invalid (Phil)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 11:43:40 +0000
 by: Phil - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 11:43 UTC

On 02/03/2024 08:08, occam wrote:
> I heard a new (to me) bird related verb this morning - 'cuckooing' - in
> relation to a new UK legislation being considered by the UK government.
>
> "Cuckooing is the term used when someone's house is taken over for
> criminal activity, including dealing drugs or carrying out sex work."
>
> Other potential verbable birds include: Magpieing (sp?) (hoarding);
> crowing (boasting); tweeting (henceforth known as X-ing); etc
>

> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-68158124

Parroting.

I suppose pigeonholing is stretching it a bit.

One that I haven't heard outside my family: cormoranting -- standing
around after showering to allow the last of the damp to dry off before
dressing.

--
Phil B

Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislation

<urv8dl$1sqme$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203168&group=alt.usage.english#203168

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 14:09:09 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 13:09 UTC

Janet wrote:

> Here's another one, "nesting".
>
> "Nesting is a co-parenting arrangement where the parents
> take turns living in the family home while the children
> reside there full-time. The non-residential parent would
> find a separate living arrangement during their 'off-
> duty' period"

Thanks.That describes what my eldest daughter and her ex-husband do.
They have even agreed to share the extra apartment.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislation

<20240302140942.1b24ee399d3a286da92e682d@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203169&group=alt.usage.english#203169

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 14:09:42 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 14:09 UTC

On Sat, 2 Mar 2024 11:43:40 +0000
Phil <phil@anonymous.invalid> wrote:

> On 02/03/2024 08:08, occam wrote:
> > I heard a new (to me) bird related verb this morning - 'cuckooing' - in
> > relation to a new UK legislation being considered by the UK government.
> >
> > "Cuckooing is the term used when someone's house is taken over for
> > criminal activity, including dealing drugs or carrying out sex work."
> >
> > Other potential verbable birds include: Magpieing (sp?) (hoarding);
> > crowing (boasting); tweeting (henceforth known as X-ing); etc
> >

> > https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-68158124
> >

> Parroting.
>
> I suppose pigeonholing is stretching it a bit.
>
> One that I haven't heard outside my family: cormoranting -- standing
> around after showering to allow the last of the damp to dry off before
> dressing.

I shall draw a veil over the cliff-nesting common sh*g.
Sorry, I should stop larking about. Probably too much drink too fast: I
blame the gannets.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislation

<urvpu6$20g58$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203174&group=alt.usage.english#203174

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 18:08:06 +0000
 by: Hibou - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 18:08 UTC

Le 02/03/2024 à 08:08, occam a écrit :

> I heard a new (to me) bird related verb this morning - 'cuckooing' - in
> relation to a new UK legislation being considered by the UK government.
>
> "Cuckooing is the term used when someone's house is taken over for
> criminal activity, including dealing drugs or carrying out sex work."
>
> Other potential verbable birds include: Magpieing (sp?) (hoarding);
> crowing (boasting); tweeting (henceforth known as X-ing); etc
>
> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-68158124

I don't wish to egg you on - but there's already to chicken out, to
cock, to crane, to duck, to goose, to grouse, to gull, to hawk, to lark
about, to quail, to rail, to rook, to snipe, to swallow, to swan off....

(Yes, I googled.)

Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislation

<giLEN.32649$hN14.12199@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203175&group=alt.usage.english#203175

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 19:42:03 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 19:42 UTC

On 02-Mar-24 14:09, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Mar 2024 11:43:40 +0000
> Phil <phil@anonymous.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 02/03/2024 08:08, occam wrote:
>>> I heard a new (to me) bird related verb this morning - 'cuckooing' - in
>>> relation to a new UK legislation being considered by the UK government.
>>>
>>> "Cuckooing is the term used when someone's house is taken over for
>>> criminal activity, including dealing drugs or carrying out sex work."
>>>
>>> Other potential verbable birds include: Magpieing (sp?) (hoarding);
>>> crowing (boasting); tweeting (henceforth known as X-ing); etc
>>>

>>> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-68158124
>>>

>> Parroting.
>>
>> I suppose pigeonholing is stretching it a bit.
>>
>> One that I haven't heard outside my family: cormoranting -- standing
>> around after showering to allow the last of the damp to dry off before
>> dressing.
>>

> I shall draw a veil over the cliff-nesting common sh*g.
> Sorry, I should stop larking about. Probably too much drink too fast: I
> blame the gannets.

Quite. In some circles "cormaranting" is used as a veiled allusion to
"shagging", since the two birds look so similar from a distance.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislation

<l4hl12Faa1eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203176&group=alt.usage.english#203176

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 22:46:14 +0100
 by: occam - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:46 UTC

On 02/03/2024 19:08, Hibou wrote:
> Le 02/03/2024 à 08:08, occam a écrit :
>>
>> I heard a new (to me) bird related verb this morning - 'cuckooing' - in
>> relation to a new UK legislation being considered by the UK government.
>>
>> "Cuckooing is the term used when someone's house is taken over for
>> criminal activity, including dealing drugs or carrying out sex work."
>>
>> Other potential verbable birds include:  Magpieing (sp?) (hoarding);
>> crowing (boasting); tweeting (henceforth known as X-ing); etc
>>
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-68158124
>>

> I don't wish to egg you on - but there's already to chicken out, to
> cock, to crane, to duck, to goose, to grouse, to gull, to hawk, to lark
> about, to quail, to rail, to rook, to snipe, to swallow, to swan off....
>
> (Yes, I googled.)

Yes, but are any of these verbs written into legislature? 'Cock up' is
something Parliamentarians do regularly, but that is not the same.

Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislation

<us16sq$2cepb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203182&group=alt.usage.english#203182

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 06:55:22 +0000
 by: Hibou - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 06:55 UTC

Le 02/03/2024 à 21:46, occam a écrit :
> On 02/03/2024 19:08, Hibou wrote:
>> Le 02/03/2024 à 08:08, occam a écrit :
>>>
>>> I heard a new (to me) bird related verb this morning - 'cuckooing' - in
>>> relation to a new UK legislation being considered by the UK government.
>>>
>>> "Cuckooing is the term used when someone's house is taken over for
>>> criminal activity, including dealing drugs or carrying out sex work."
>>>
>>> Other potential verbable birds include:  Magpieing (sp?) (hoarding);
>>> crowing (boasting); tweeting (henceforth known as X-ing); etc
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-68158124
>>
>> I don't wish to egg you on - but there's already to chicken out, to
>> cock, to crane, to duck, to goose, to grouse, to gull, to hawk, to lark
>> about, to quail, to rail, to rook, to snipe, to swallow, to swan off....
>>
>> (Yes, I googled.)
>
> Yes, but are any of these verbs written into legislature? 'Cock up' is
> something Parliamentarians do regularly, but that is not the same.

'To snipe' may be, and 'to gull'. I expect Google would tell you.

Re: Cuckooing - new UK legislation

<3ea379cc0107198e216a5129384a234a@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203668&group=alt.usage.english#203668

From: marius.hancu@gmail.com (Marius_Hancu)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 14:57:01 +0000
 by: Marius_Hancu - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 14:57 UTC

Hibou wrote:

> Le 02/03/2024 à 21:46, occam a écrit :

>>> I don't wish to egg you on - but there's already to chicken out, to
>>> cock, to crane, to duck, to goose, to grouse, to gull, to hawk, to lark
>>> about, to quail, to rail, to rook, to snipe, to swallow, to swan off....
>>>
>>> (Yes, I googled.)
>>
>> Yes, but are any of these verbs written into legislature? 'Cock up' is
>> something Parliamentarians do regularly, but that is not the same.

> 'To snipe' may be, and 'to gull'. I expect Google would tell you.

Not very far from
"cuckolding":-]

--
Marius Hancu