From: tferg@snl.com (Turd Ferguson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Myles Goodwyn, 75, former April Wine singer
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 20:06:10 -0500
 by: Turd Ferguson - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 01:06 UTC

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainment/music/renowned-canadian-musician-and-former-april-wine-singer-myles-goodwyn-dead-at-75/ar-AA1kWaqJ?domshim=1

Myles Goodwyn, the legendary Canadian musician and songwriter who shot
to stardom as the lead singer of April Wine, has died at age 75.

His publicist Eric Alper said Goodwyn died Sunday in Halifax. No cause
of death was announced.

Alper described Goodwyn as one of the great songwriters of the classic
rock era, who helped propel April Wine to international success and
paved the way for other Canadian rock acts.

"April Wine was kind of leading all of it because they were breaking
through on American rock and roll radio a little bit earlier than
everybody else was," he said in an interview.

"And the fact that they had just so many hits and sold out arenas and
places in the U.S. and around the world just showed them that we can
kind of compete on our own level."
April Wine has sold 10 million recordings worldwide and was inducted
into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 2010. The band was also added to
Canada's Walk of Fame this fall.

The group formed in Halifax in 1969 and consisted of Goodwyn, his friend
Jim Henman, and Henman's cousins David and Ritchie Henman.

After moving to Montreal, the band would go on to record a steady stream
of hit songs in the 1970s and early 1980s including "You Could Have Been
a Lady," "You Won’t Dance With Me," "Roller," and "Just Between You and Me."

Their 1975 album Stand Back was the first by a Canadian band to sell
more than 100,000 copies. Their 1978 album First Glance would be their
first gold album outside Canada, while 1981's The Nature of the Beast
would help them attain platinum status on both sides of the border,
according to the band's website.

In later years, Goodwyn released several blues recordings, including the
Juno-nominated "Myles Goodwyn And Friends Of The Blues," as well as an
autobiography titled "Just Between You And Me: A Memoir."

Alper, who has represented him in recent years, described Goodwyn as a
"straight shooter" and a "breath of fresh air" who retained a keen
interest in the music business.

Alper said Goodwyn stepped away from the band earlier this year due to
health issues and no longer wanting to "live out of a suitcase," but
continued to perform and work with other musicians.

"I'm just so sad, because his spirit and his energy of still wanting to
write the great rock and roll song, and the great Blues song, was still
in him and he loved collaborating with people to have that happen," he
said. "I'm going to miss him terribly."

Canadian Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge wrote on X — formerly Twitter
— to express sadness at Goodwyn's death and offer condolences to his
loved ones.

"Myles Goodwyn led April Wine for over 50 years, bringing us hit
Canadian rock music and touring relentlessly," she wrote.

"Myles, thanks for the songs we'll keep playing all over town."

Canadian rocker Randy Bachman, founder of the Guess Who and Bachman
Turner Overdrive, described Goodwyn as "a great singer, songwriter,
guitar player and creator."

"His songs will live on forever," Bachman wrote in an email. "Many of
his songs are among my favorite of all time."

Re: Myles Goodwyn, 75, former April Wine singer

<e7e7df86-345b-45c7-bb0d-6811a3a297a6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=20344&group=alt.obituaries#20344

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 07:52:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Myles Goodwyn, 75, former April Wine singer
From: tommie.hicks303@gmail.com (Tommie Hicks)
 by: Tommie Hicks - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 15:52 UTC

"Their 1975 album Stand Back was the first by a Canadian band to sell
more than 100,000 copies."

The Guess Who and BTO didn't sell 100k copies of their albums previously?

In my teens we referred to BTO as Bachman Turner Overweight.

Re: Myles Goodwyn, 75, former April Wine singer

<Tg2dnWHtELP0mfP4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=20347&group=alt.obituaries#20347

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
From: dsbarr@mindspring.com (David Samuel Barr)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 11:55:06 -0500
 by: David Samuel Barr - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 16:55 UTC

It's possible the quoted claim is only
for Canadian sales. The Guess Who's
two 1970 albums were US gold (500,000+)
while their 1971 "Best of" was US gold
and Canada platinum (100,000+) and 1973
"Best of Vol. 2" Canada gold (50,000+),
and in 1974-75 BTO had five US gold
albums which were also Canada platinum,
however many of the Canada certifications
came 2-17 years after release so it's
possible it took that long to reach
those sales levels (the US ones were
reached in the release years).

On 12/4/2023 10:52 AM, Tommie Hicks wrote:
> "Their 1975 album Stand Back was the first by a Canadian band to sell
> more than 100,000 copies."
>
> The Guess Who and BTO didn't sell 100k copies of their albums previously?
>
> In my teens we referred to BTO as Bachman Turner Overweight.

interests / alt.obituaries / Myles Goodwyn, 75, former April Wine singer