From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english.neologism,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: World Scouse Day (28 February)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 12:24:52 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 20:24 UTC

On 3/1/2024 3:16 AM, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2024-03-01, Ross Clark wrote:
>
>> Not exactly language related, but a day celebrating scouse, a kind of
>> stew popular with sailors and often including ship's biscuit as an
>> ingredient. Well known in Liverpool. The day was instituted by a "travel
>> adventurer" named Graham Hughes some time in the early 2000s.
>>
>> The word for the stew is a shortening of "lobscouse" (OED 1707-,
>> etymology obscure); the shorter form appears first in Dana's _Two Years
>> Before the Mast_ (1840).
>> A century or so later we find it used for a native of Liverpool (1945-),
>> and for the local dialect or accent (1960-). South Lancashire with
>> strong influence from Irish. Became quite fashionable thanks to
>> you-know-who.
>
> Interesting, thanks. I knew who Scousers are but not why.

Stew: "Stobhach" is a hearty Irish stew traditionally made with lamb,
mutton, or beef, potatoes, onions, and vegetables.

Soup: "Brocán" is a thick soup similar to a stew, often made with
vegetables, barley, and sometimes meat.

Stew: "Nikujaga" is a classic Japanese stew with meat (usually pork or
beef), potatoes, carrots, onions, and other vegetables simmered
in a flavorful broth.
Soup: "Miso shiru" is a staple Japanese soup made with miso paste, dashi
(fish broth), seaweed, and various toppings like tofu,
vegetables, or fish.

Stew: "Ragoût" is a French stew made with meat, vegetables, and a rich
sauce. It can be enjoyed on its own or served over rice or pasta.
Soup: "Soupe" is a general term for soup in French. There are many
varieties, including broth-based soups like "potage" and
cream-based soups like "bisque."

Stew: "Eintopf" is a German stew typically made with meat, potatoes,
vegetables, and sometimes sausage. It is a hearty and comforting
dish.
Soup: "Suppe" is the German word for soup. Popular German soups include
"Kartoffelsuppe" (potato soup) and "Gulaschsuppe" (goulash
soup).

Glenn Gould, when talking about one of Bach's Goldberg Variations,
said that it was based on a naughty song (?) about Cabbage ...

The melody used in Bach's Quodlibet is actually a
combination of several German folk songs, including "Kraut und Rüben
haben mich vertrieben" ("Cabbage and turnips have driven me away").

This song does mention cabbage, but it's not inherently
"naughty."

It likely tells the story of someone who dislikes a place where
they only have cabbage and turnips to eat.

It's possible that Glenn Gould misinterpreted the song's meaning or used
it as a humorous anecdote.

Re: World Scouse Day (28 February)

<urtja8$1f27t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203148&group=alt.usage.english#203148

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english.neologism,alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 16:02:48 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 22:02 UTC

On 2024-03-01 14:24, HenHanna wrote:
> On 3/1/2024 3:16 AM, Adam Funk wrote:
>> On 2024-03-01, Ross Clark wrote:
>>
>>> Not exactly language related, but a day celebrating scouse, a kind of
>>> stew popular with sailors and often including ship's biscuit as an
>>> ingredient. Well known in Liverpool. The day was instituted by a "travel
>>> adventurer" named Graham Hughes some time in the early 2000s.
>>>
>>> The word for the stew is a shortening of "lobscouse" (OED 1707-,
>>> etymology obscure); the shorter form appears first in Dana's _Two Years
>>> Before the Mast_ (1840).

Love the way English can be misinterpreted.
I first thought, "so the Mast was in 1842?"

--
Doc, note, I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I diet on cod.

Re: World Scouse Day (28 February)

<use0te$1ga4v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203369&group=alt.usage.english#203369

From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english.neologism,alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 19:33:01 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 03:33 UTC

-------------- meaning... Two years' stint on a ship???

Re: World Scouse Day (28 February)

<useotl$1kpm2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203371&group=alt.usage.english#203371

From: benlizro@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 23:22:41 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:22 UTC

On 8/03/2024 4:33 p.m., HenHanna wrote:
> On 3/1/2024 12:24 PM, HenHanna wrote:

>>> Interesting, thanks. I knew who Scousers are but not why.
>>>

>> Stew: "Stobhach" is a hearty Irish stew traditionally made with lamb,
>>        mutton, or beef, potatoes, onions, and vegetables.
>>
>> Soup: "Brocán" is a thick soup similar to a stew, often made with
>>            vegetables, barley, and sometimes meat.
>>

>> Stew: "Nikujaga" is a classic Japanese stew with meat (usually pork or
>>          beef), potatoes, carrots, onions, and other vegetables simmered
>>            in a flavorful broth.
>> Soup: "Miso shiru" is a staple Japanese soup made with miso paste, dashi
>>            (fish broth), seaweed, and various toppings like tofu,
>>                 vegetables, or fish.
>>

>> Stew: "Ragoût" is a French stew made with meat, vegetables, and a rich
>>         sauce. It can be enjoyed on its own or served over rice or pasta.
>> Soup: "Soupe" is a general term for soup in French. There are many
>>           varieties, including broth-based soups like "potage" and
>>                 cream-based soups like "bisque."
>>

>> Stew: "Eintopf" is a German stew typically made with meat, potatoes,
>>          vegetables, and sometimes sausage. It is a hearty and comforting
>>              dish.
>> Soup: "Suppe" is the German word for soup. Popular German soups include
>>            "Kartoffelsuppe" (potato soup) and "Gulaschsuppe" (goulash
>>             soup).
>>

>> Glenn Gould, when talking about one of Bach's Goldberg Variations,
>> said that it was based on a  naughty song (?) about Cabbage ...
>>

>>                The melody used in Bach's Quodlibet is actually a
>> combination of several German folk songs, including "Kraut und Rüben
>> haben mich vertrieben" ("Cabbage and turnips have driven me away").
>>
>>            This song does mention cabbage, but it's not inherently
>> "naughty."
>>
>>          It likely tells the story of someone who dislikes a place
>> where they only have cabbage and turnips to eat.
>>
>> It's possible that Glenn Gould misinterpreted the song's meaning or
>> used it as a humorous anecdote.
>

> > Love the way English can be misinterpreted.
> > I first thought, "so the Mast was in 1842?"
> >

> Dana's _Two Years Before the Mast_ (1840).
>
> --------------  meaning...  Two years'  stint  on a ship???

Yes, two years (1834-36) "before the mast", i.e. as an ordinary merchant
seaman. Dana had a good education, had been at Harvard, but dropped out
and went to sea because of poor health. (That was a popular idea at the
time, but most people thought of cruising and touring rather than
working their way.) When he came home, he wrote his famous memoir,
became a lawyer and campaigned for the rights and welfare of sailors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Henry_Dana_Jr.