From: HenHanna@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: that door of the building
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:51:26 +0000
 by: HenHanna - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:51 UTC

They are talking about That wife of Harry's who's very unpopular lately.

They are talking about Bill's wife who's very unpopular lately.

They are talking about that wife of Bill's who's very unpopular lately.
---------- here i'd say that [who's very unpopular lately] refers to the wife.

arthurvv vart wrote:

> 1) They arrested that brother of Harry's who has a pawn shop, not the one who owns a pizza parlor.
> 2) They arrested the brother of Harry's who has a pawn shop, not the one who owns a pizza parlor.

> 3) They painted that door of the building that faced north, not the one that faced east.
> 4) They painted the door of the building that faced north, not the one that faced east.

> 5) He keyed that door of my car that had already been keyed once before by someone else, not the door that was intact.
> 6) He keyed the door of my car that had already been keyed once before by someone else, not the door that was intact.

> Which are grammatical?
> Which are idiomatic?

> The sentences in each pair are supposed to mean the same thing. In the ones with 'that' the speaker isn't supposed to be pointing to anything. 'That' is supposed to be there just to emphasize the idea of specificity. It is supposed to be an emphatic 'the', so to speak. I am not sure that works.

> Gratefully,
> Navi

That wife of Harry's who's very unpopular lately.

<58cf33f0b8702ed562afaa2ffa1c43fe@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203523&group=alt.usage.english#203523

From: HenHanna@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: That wife of Harry's who's very unpopular lately.
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 23:34:25 +0000
 by: HenHanna - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 23:34 UTC