Needs are a function of what other people have.

interests / alt.usage.english / Sound the trumpet

SubjectAuthor
* Sound the trumpetLionelEdwards
+- Re: Sound the trumpetStefan Ram
+* Re: Sound the trumpetSam Plusnet
|`* Re: Sound the trumpetSnidely
| +* Re: Sound the trumpetAthel Cornish-Bowden
| |`* Re: Sound the trumpetSam Plusnet
| | `* Re: Sound the trumpetAthel Cornish-Bowden
| |  `* Re: Sound the trumpetSnidely
| |   `- Re: Sound the trumpetAthel Cornish-Bowden
| `- Re: Sound the trumpetSam Plusnet
`* Re: Sound the trumpetHibou
 `* Re: Sound the trumpetStefan Ram
  +* Re: Sound the trumpetHibou
  |`* Re: Sound the trumpetAthel Cornish-Bowden
  | `- Re: Sound the trumpetHibou
  `* Re: Sound the trumpetPeter Moylan
   +* Re: Sound the trumpetAthel Cornish-Bowden
   |+- Re: Sound the trumpetPeter Moylan
   |`- Re: Sound the trumpetSam Plusnet
   `- Re: Sound the trumpetHibou

1
Sound the trumpet

<03a8b3363cf2e28540591a6c384e0f6e@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203770&group=alt.usage.english#203770

From: dougstaples@gmx.com (LionelEdwards)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Sound the trumpet
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 15:40:05 +0000
 by: LionelEdwards - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 15:40 UTC

It is too soon to bring the curtain down on aue. If you had to
however, what would be your choice? I hope Owain is still here?

Purcell "Sound the trumpet" Philippe Jaroussky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQxTkTw4cCY

Re: Sound the trumpet

<pun-20240320183119@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203771&group=alt.usage.english#203771

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Sound the trumpet
Date: 20 Mar 2024 17:32:12 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 17:32 UTC

dougstaples@gmx.com (LionelEdwards) wrote or quoted:
>It is too soon to bring the curtain down on aue. If you had to
>however, what would be your choice? I hope Owain is still here?

Me,

|Please write a joke with a pun about a newsgroup playing the
|trumpet for its funeral!

, chatbot,

|Why did the newsgroup decide to play the trumpet at its own
|funeral? Because it wanted to give a final "press release"
|before signing off for good!

.

Re: Sound the trumpet

<XtHKN.537073$c3Ea.347465@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203777&group=alt.usage.english#203777

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:15:52 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:15 UTC

On 20-Mar-24 15:40, LionelEdwards wrote:
> It is too soon to bring the curtain down on aue. If you had to
> however, what would be your choice? I hope Owain is still here? Purcell
> "Sound the trumpet" Philippe Jaroussky?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQxTkTw4cCY

What a pity Emmanuelle Haim doesn't get a mention. She is a really
interesting conductor and (I imagine) fun to work with.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Sound the trumpet

<utgsdb$23o6e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203779&group=alt.usage.english#203779

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 08:50:51 +0000
 by: Hibou - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 08:50 UTC

Le 20/03/2024 à 15:40, LionelEdwards a écrit :

> It is too soon to bring the curtain down on aue. If you had to
> however, what would be your choice? I hope Owain is still here? Purcell
> "Sound the trumpet" Philippe Jaroussky?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQxTkTw4cCY

As long as we don't sound our own trumpet....

Re: Sound the trumpet

<promotion-20240321095919@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203780&group=alt.usage.english#203780

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 21 Mar 2024 09:00:35 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:00 UTC

Hibou <vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote or quoted:
>Le 20/03/2024 à 15:40, LionelEdwards a écrit :
>>It is too soon to bring the curtain down on aue. If you had to
>>however, what would be your choice? I hope Owain is still here? Purcell
>>"Sound the trumpet" Philippe Jaroussky?
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQxTkTw4cCY
>As long as we don't sound our own trumpet....

Me,

|Dear Chatbot. Someone wrote, "As long as we don't sound our
|own trumpet....". Please find and explain the allusion!

; the chatbot,

|The phrase "As long as we don't sound our own trumpet"
|alludes to the idiom "to blow one's own trumpet," which means
|to boast about one's achievements or abilities. In this
|context, the expression suggests avoiding self-promotion or
|bragging.

; me,

|Could some self-promotion help a Usenet newsgroup with a
|declining number of participant?

; the chatbot,

|Self-promotion in a Usenet newsgroup with a declining number
|of participants could potentially help revitalize the
|community. By promoting the group's activities, discussions,
|and unique features, it may attract new members and re-engage
|existing ones. However, it is essential to balance
|self-promotion with valuable content and genuine interactions
|to maintain the authenticity and integrity of the community.

.

Re: Sound the trumpet

<utgtd6$243bs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203781&group=alt.usage.english#203781

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:07:50 +0000
 by: Hibou - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:07 UTC

Le 21/03/2024 à 09:00, Stefan Ram a écrit :
> Hibou wrote or quoted:
>>
>> As long as we don't sound our own trumpet....
>
> Me,
>
> |Dear Chatbot. Someone wrote, "As long as we don't sound our
> |own trumpet....". Please find and explain the allusion!
>
> ; the chatbot,
>
> |The phrase "As long as we don't sound our own trumpet"
> |alludes to the idiom "to blow one's own trumpet," which means
> |to boast about one's achievements or abilities. In this
> |context, the expression suggests avoiding self-promotion or
> |bragging.
>
> ; me,
>
> |Could some self-promotion help a Usenet newsgroup with a
> |declining number of participant?
>
> ; the chatbot,
>
> |Self-promotion in a Usenet newsgroup with a declining number
> |of participants could potentially help revitalize the
> |community. By promoting the group's activities, discussions,
> |and unique features, it may attract new members and re-engage
> |existing ones. However, it is essential to balance
> |self-promotion with valuable content and genuine interactions
> |to maintain the authenticity and integrity of the community.
>
> .

What a tiresome polysyllabic style that chatbot has! I don't think I'd
care to read its output at any length (or at all, really).

Perhaps it learnt it from Wikipedia.

Pensée claire, paroles claires.

Re: Sound the trumpet

<l62cigFpi26U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203782&group=alt.usage.english#203782

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 10:22:24 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:22 UTC

On 2024-03-21 09:07:50 +0000, Hibou said:

> Le 21/03/2024 à 09:00, Stefan Ram a écrit :
>> Hibou wrote or quoted:
>>>
>>> As long as we don't sound our own trumpet....
>>
>> Me,
>>
>> |Dear Chatbot. Someone wrote, "As long as we don't sound our
>> |own trumpet....". Please find and explain the allusion!
>>
>> ; the chatbot,
>>
>> |The phrase "As long as we don't sound our own trumpet"
>> |alludes to the idiom "to blow one's own trumpet," which means
>> |to boast about one's achievements or abilities. In this
>> |context, the expression suggests avoiding self-promotion or
>> |bragging.
>>
>> ; me,
>>
>> |Could some self-promotion help a Usenet newsgroup with a
>> |declining number of participant?
>>
>> ; the chatbot,
>>
>> |Self-promotion in a Usenet newsgroup with a declining number
>> |of participants could potentially help revitalize the
>> |community. By promoting the group's activities, discussions,
>> |and unique features, it may attract new members and re-engage
>> |existing ones. However, it is essential to balance
>> |self-promotion with valuable content and genuine interactions
>> |to maintain the authenticity and integrity of the community.
>>
>> .
>
> What a tiresome polysyllabic style that chatbot has! I don't think I'd
> care to read its output at any length (or at all, really).

Yes,but has there ever been a useful post about English usage from Stefan Ram?

> Perhaps it learnt it from Wikipedia.
>
> Pensée claire, paroles claires.

Absolument.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Sound the trumpet

<utgucf$24c9t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203783&group=alt.usage.english#203783

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:24:30 +0000
 by: Hibou - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:24 UTC

Le 21/03/2024 à 09:22, Athel Cornish-Bowden a écrit :
> On 2024-03-21 09:07:50 +0000, Hibou said:
>>
>> What a tiresome polysyllabic style that chatbot has! I don't think I'd
>> care to read its output at any length (or at all, really).
>
> Yes,but has there ever been a useful post about English usage from
> Stefan Ram?
>
>> Perhaps it learnt it from Wikipedia.
>>
>> Pensée claire, paroles claires.
>
> Absolument.

.... but then, if it's a large-language model, there is no thought there.

Re: Sound the trumpet

<mn.ac667e83dceccbdd.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203800&group=alt.usage.english#203800

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 18:46:52 -0700
 by: Snidely - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 01:46 UTC

on 3/20/2024, Sam Plusnet supposed :
> On 20-Mar-24 15:40, LionelEdwards wrote:
>> It is too soon to bring the curtain down on aue. If you had to
>> however, what would be your choice? I hope Owain is still here? Purcell
>> "Sound the trumpet" Philippe Jaroussky?
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQxTkTw4cCY
>
> What a pity Emmanuelle Haim doesn't get a mention. She is a really
> interesting conductor and (I imagine) fun to work with.

Not familiar with her work. Do you have a link to a favorite, or do I
just dive in to search results and hope I don't drown?

I've heard Barbara Hannigan. In 2019. At this concert, in fact:

<URL:https://youtu.be/-M76sWQXQ24>

I wasn't able to find an ootweb of her conducting Purcell, but at the
same Festival she led Stavinsky's /Rake's Progress/. I didn't attend
that, but I think I did hear Saturday night with the piece by Grisey
(/Quatre chants pour franchir le seuil/ and folk-based songs, and maybe
the Walton /Facade/ and Terry Riley. Gads, that was aeons ago, warnt
it?

/dps

--
"That’s where I end with this kind of conversation: Language is
crucial, and yet not the answer."

Re: Sound the trumpet

<utj60i$2oh02$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203809&group=alt.usage.english#203809

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:46:55 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 05:46 UTC

On 21/03/24 20:00, Stefan Ram wrote:

> |Dear Chatbot. Someone wrote, "As long as we don't sound our |own
> trumpet....". Please find and explain the allusion!

The chatbot seems to have missed the once-well-known story about
somebody blowing his own strumpet. But then I couldn't get Google to
find it either. I'm sure I've seen it before on the web, but can't
remember which famous people were involved.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Sound the trumpet

<l64t07F6qtqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203812&group=alt.usage.english#203812

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 09:15:03 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 08:15 UTC

On 2024-03-22 01:46:52 +0000, Snidely said:

> on 3/20/2024, Sam Plusnet supposed :
>> On 20-Mar-24 15:40, LionelEdwards wrote:
>>> It is too soon to bring the curtain down on aue. If you had to
>>> however, what would be your choice? I hope Owain is still here? Purcell
>>> "Sound the trumpet" Philippe Jaroussky?
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQxTkTw4cCY
>>
>> What a pity Emmanuelle Haim doesn't get a mention. She is a really
>> interesting conductor and (I imagine) fun to work with.
>
> Not familiar with her work. Do you have a link to a favorite, or do I
> just dive in to search results and hope I don't drown?
>
> I've heard Barbara Hannigan. In 2019. At this concert, in fact:
>
> <URL:https://youtu.be/-M76sWQXQ24>
>
> I wasn't able to find an ootweb of her conducting Purcell, but at the
> same Festival she led Stavinsky's /Rake's Progress/.

I never managed to get to grips with the Rake's Progress, though I was
obsessively fond of some of Stravinsky's other works -- Petrushka and
the Rite of Spring, of course, but also Les Noces, the Symphony in C
and the Symphony in Three Movements. I saw Stravinsky conduct once in
Berkeley -- not a great conductor as such, but very authentic.

When I was a student I used to listen to Les Noces (Ansermet with la
Suisse Romande) every single day, often twice. After many years I
listened to it again a little while ago, and was surprised that I
remembered virtually every word.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Sound the trumpet

<l64titF6ub0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203814&group=alt.usage.english#203814

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 09:25:01 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 08:25 UTC

W. S. Gilbert: https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/blow+own+trumpet

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Sound the trumpet

<utjldi$2rt8u$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203817&group=alt.usage.english#203817

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:09:53 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 10:09 UTC

On 22/03/24 19:25, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

>>> trumpet....". Please find and explain the allusion!
>>
>> The chatbot seems to have missed the once-well-known story about
>> somebody blowing his own strumpet. But then I couldn't get Google to
>> find it either. I'm sure I've seen it before on the web, but can't
>> remember which famous people were involved.
>
> W. S. Gilbert: https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/blow+own+trumpet

Thank you. Exactly the example I was trying to find.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Sound the trumpet

<2nlLN.76877$bml7.67605@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203854&group=alt.usage.english#203854

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 19:55:40 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 19:55 UTC

On 22-Mar-24 1:46, Snidely wrote:
> on 3/20/2024, Sam Plusnet supposed :
>> On 20-Mar-24 15:40, LionelEdwards wrote:
>>> It is too soon to bring the curtain down on aue. If you had to
>>> however, what would be your choice? I hope Owain is still here?
>>> Purcell "Sound the trumpet" Philippe Jaroussky?
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQxTkTw4cCY
>>
>> What a pity Emmanuelle Haim doesn't get a mention.  She is a really
>> interesting conductor and (I imagine) fun to work with.
>
> Not familiar with her work.  Do you have a link to a favorite, or do I
> just dive in to search results and hope I don't drown?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj5oEAf3WxQkPnXU6WoULsg

Might be a starting point, but she just seems to have the kind of
charisma that really good conductors need.

(When there are performers like Philippe Jaroussky singing, but you find
yourself watching the conductor...)

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Sound the trumpet

<mplLN.76878$bml7.27512@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203855&group=alt.usage.english#203855

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 19:58:09 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 19:58 UTC

On 22-Mar-24 8:25, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

>>> trumpet....". Please find and explain the allusion!
>>
>> The chatbot seems to have missed the once-well-known story about
>> somebody blowing his own strumpet. But then I couldn't  get Google to
>> find it either. I'm sure I've seen it before on the web, but can't
>> remember which famous people were involved.
>
> W. S. Gilbert: https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/blow+own+trumpet

In another place on Usenet the comment was made that, if (some) women
could be called strumpets, then men really ought to be strombones.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Sound the trumpet

<UUlLN.76882$bml7.12757@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203857&group=alt.usage.english#203857

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:31:46 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:31 UTC

On 22-Mar-24 8:15, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2024-03-22 01:46:52 +0000, Snidely said:
>
>> on 3/20/2024, Sam Plusnet supposed :
>>>
>>> What a pity Emmanuelle Haim doesn't get a mention.  She is a really
>>> interesting conductor and (I imagine) fun to work with.
>>
>> Not familiar with her work.  Do you have a link to a favorite, or do I
>> just dive in to search results and hope I don't drown?
>>
>> I've heard Barbara Hannigan.  In 2019.  At this concert, in fact:
>>
>> <URL:https://youtu.be/-M76sWQXQ24>
>>
>> I wasn't able to find an ootweb of her conducting Purcell, but at the
>> same Festival she led Stavinsky's /Rake's Progress/.
>
> I never managed to get to grips with the Rake's Progress, though I was
> obsessively fond of some of Stravinsky's other works -- Petrushka and
> the Rite of Spring, of course, but also Les Noces, the Symphony in C and
> the Symphony in Three Movements. I saw Stravinsky conduct once in
> Berkeley -- not a great conductor as such, but very authentic.
>
> When I was a student I used to listen to Les Noces (Ansermet with la
> Suisse Romande) every single day, often twice. After many years I
> listened to it again a little while ago, and was surprised that I
> remembered virtually every word.

I came across a recording of that on YouTube.
Pianists:
Samuel Barber, Aaron Copland, Lukas Foss, Roger Sessions.
Conducted by the composer.

Not a bad line up.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Sound the trumpet

<l67hq2Fj8mpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203872&group=alt.usage.english#203872

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 09:22:26 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 08:22 UTC

On 2024-03-22 20:31:46 +0000, Sam Plusnet said:

> On 22-Mar-24 8:15, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> On 2024-03-22 01:46:52 +0000, Snidely said:
>>
>>> on 3/20/2024, Sam Plusnet supposed :

>>> Not familiar with her work.  Do you have a link to a favorite, or do I
>>> just dive in to search results and hope I don't drown?
>>>
>>> I've heard Barbara Hannigan.  In 2019.  At this concert, in fact:
>>>
>>> <URL:https://youtu.be/-M76sWQXQ24>
>>>
>>> I wasn't able to find an ootweb of her conducting Purcell, but at the
>>> same Festival she led Stavinsky's /Rake's Progress/.
>>
>> I never managed to get to grips with the Rake's Progress, though I was
>> obsessively fond of some of Stravinsky's other works -- Petrushka and
>> the Rite of Spring, of course, but also Les Noces, the Symphony in C
>> and the Symphony in Three Movements. I saw Stravinsky conduct once in
>> Berkeley -- not a great conductor as such, but very authentic.
>>
>> When I was a student I used to listen to Les Noces (Ansermet with la
>> Suisse Romande) every single day, often twice. After many years I
>> listened to it again a little while ago, and was surprised that I
>> remembered virtually every word.
>
> I came across a recording of that on YouTube.
> Pianists:
> Samuel Barber, Aaron Copland, Lukas Foss, Roger Sessions.
> Conducted by the composer.
>
> Not a bad line up.

I may hvae heard that once, but once was enough. Having always heard it
in Ansermet's recording in French, I found it very strange in English.
It sounded completely wrong to my ears. No doubt the composer thought
it was OK.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Sound the trumpet

<utm3p3$3hg47$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203873&group=alt.usage.english#203873

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 08:27:15 +0000
 by: Hibou - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 08:27 UTC

Le 22/03/2024 à 05:46, Peter Moylan a écrit :
> On 21/03/24 20:00, Stefan Ram wrote:
>>
>> |Dear Chatbot. Someone wrote, "As long as we don't sound our |own
>> trumpet....". Please find and explain the allusion!
>
> The chatbot seems to have missed the once-well-known story about
> somebody blowing his own strumpet. [...]

Would that be air on a g-string?

Re: Sound the trumpet

<mn.b8f17e83c12fe280.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203880&group=alt.usage.english#203880

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 04:01:58 -0700
 by: Snidely - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 11:01 UTC

Athel Cornish-Bowden blurted out:
> On 2024-03-22 20:31:46 +0000, Sam Plusnet said:

>>> I never managed to get to grips with the Rake's Progress, though I was
>>> obsessively fond of some of Stravinsky's other works -- Petrushka and the
>>> Rite of Spring, of course, but also Les Noces, the Symphony in C and the
>>> Symphony in Three Movements. I saw Stravinsky conduct once in Berkeley --
>>> not a great conductor as such, but very authentic.
>>>
>>> When I was a student I used to listen to Les Noces (Ansermet with la
>>> Suisse Romande) every single day, often twice. After many years I listened
>>> to it again a little while ago, and was surprised that I remembered
>>> virtually every word.
>>
>> I came across a recording of that on YouTube.
>> Pianists:
>> Samuel Barber, Aaron Copland, Lukas Foss, Roger Sessions.
>> Conducted by the composer.
>>
>> Not a bad line up.
>
> I may hvae heard that once, but once was enough. Having always heard it in
> Ansermet's recording in French, I found it very strange in English. It
> sounded completely wrong to my ears. No doubt the composer thought it was OK.

What about the Russian version?

-d

--
"Inviting people to laugh with you while you are laughing at yourself
is a good thing to do, You may be a fool but you're the fool in

Re: Sound the trumpet

<l67sf8Fkri5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203881&group=alt.usage.english#203881

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:24:24 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 11:24 UTC

On 2024-03-23 11:01:58 +0000, Snidely said:

> Athel Cornish-Bowden blurted out:

>>> I came across a recording of that on YouTube.
>>> Pianists:
>>> Samuel Barber, Aaron Copland, Lukas Foss, Roger Sessions.
>>> Conducted by the composer.
>>>
>>> Not a bad line up.
>>
>> I may hvae heard that once, but once was enough. Having always heard it
>> in Ansermet's recording in French, I found it very strange in English.
>> It sounded completely wrong to my ears. No doubt the composer thought
>> it was OK.
>
> What about the Russian version?

I think I heard it once, but I don't have a strong recollection.
Anyway, one can hardly criticize the original version (Stravinsky was
still Russian when he composed it).