From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: "doggy bag"
Date: 23 Mar 2024 10:27:25 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:27 UTC

In the United States, the term "doggy bag" is rarely used by younger
people today to refer to takeaway leftovers from a restaurant meal.
But in the Federal Republic of Germany, it is still used as a foreign
word. However, since Germans capitalize their nouns (and write them
as one word) and "doggy bag" is a type of noun, the spelling often
is "Doggy Bag" or "Doggybag" in the Federal Republic of Germany.

Re: "doggy bag"

<utmhdt$3klgv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203886&group=alt.usage.english#203886

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: "doggy bag"
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 23:20:08 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:20 UTC

On 23/03/24 21:27, Stefan Ram wrote:

> In the United States, the term "doggy bag" is rarely used by younger
> people today to refer to takeaway leftovers from a restaurant meal.
> But in the Federal Republic of Germany, it is still used as a
> foreign word. However, since Germans capitalize their nouns (and
> write them as one word) and "doggy bag" is a type of noun, the
> spelling often is "Doggy Bag" or "Doggybag" in the Federal Republic
> of Germany.

Just two days ago I was attending a High Tea at high noon at the Hydro
Majestic at Medlow Bath in the NSW Blue Mountains. "High tea" is not
really an Australian concept, but this was at a posh hotel with a long
tradition of catering for the rich who went there to "take the waters".
And stayed in rooms whose level of comfort did not at all justify the
high price.

But I digress. The high tea had a generous selection of sandwiches and
scones and little dessert things that I am unable to name. As a result,
many people requested plastic Chinese takeaway containers to carry away
the llittle frivolities that they could not eat. Several people, I
included, referred to those plastic boxes as doggy bags.

It has been many years since anyone pretended that those leftovers would
be fed to the dog.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: "doggy bag"

<l6876bFmeccU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203895&group=alt.usage.english#203895

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 15:27:23 +0100
 by: occam - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:27 UTC

On 23/03/2024 13:20, Peter Moylan wrote:
> But I digress. The high tea had a generous selection of sandwiches and
> scones and little dessert things that I am unable to name. As a result,
> many people requested plastic Chinese takeaway containers to carry away
> the little frivolities that they could not eat. Several people, I
> included, referred to those plastic boxes as doggy bags.

"Petits fours"?

> As a result,
> many people requested plastic Chinese takeaway containers to carry away
> the little frivolities that they could not eat. Several people, I
> included, referred to those plastic boxes as doggy bags.
>
> It has been many years since anyone pretended that those leftovers would
> be fed to the dog.

They would be if they were meaty leftovers from a main dish. Little
biscuits, on the other hand, would be for humans e.g. kids at home or
tea time at home.

Re: "doggy bag"

<pan$2e7f3$12fb2108$102b856f$b4c14e07@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203906&group=alt.usage.english#203906

From: wibbleypants@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 23 Mar 2024 16:15:54 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 16:15 UTC

El Sat, 23 Mar 2024 23:20:08 +1100, Peter Moylan escribió:

> On 23/03/24 21:27, Stefan Ram wrote:
>
>> In the United States, the term "doggy bag" is rarely used by younger
>> people today to refer to takeaway leftovers from a restaurant meal. But
>> in the Federal Republic of Germany, it is still used as a foreign word.
>> However, since Germans capitalize their nouns (and write them as one
>> word) and "doggy bag" is a type of noun, the spelling often is "Doggy
>> Bag" or "Doggybag" in the Federal Republic of Germany.
>
> Just two days ago I was attending a High Tea at high noon at the Hydro
> Majestic at Medlow Bath in the NSW Blue Mountains. "High tea" is not
> really an Australian concept, but this was at a posh hotel with a long
> tradition of catering for the rich who went there to "take the waters".
> And stayed in rooms whose level of comfort did not at all justify the
> high price.
>
> But I digress. The high tea had a generous selection of sandwiches and
> scones and little dessert things that I am unable to name. As a result,
> many people requested plastic Chinese takeaway containers to carry away
> the llittle frivolities that they could not eat. Several people, I
> included, referred to those plastic boxes as doggy bags.
>
> It has been many years since anyone pretended that those leftovers would
> be fed to the dog.

The Spanish have taken the English noun "doggybag" and used it to mean
dog-poo bags. So if you ask for a doggybag here after your meal, you may
get something unpleasant.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es

Re: "doggy bag"

<aLecnZg1rsG9uWL4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203913&group=alt.usage.english#203913

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:49:04 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:49 UTC

Stefan Ram:
> In the United States, the term "doggy bag" is rarely used by younger
> people today to refer to takeaway leftovers from a restaurant meal.

Today I watched a rerun of a 2019 episode of the American game show
"25 Words or Less". It's one of those games where a series of words
or phrases is given and players have to describe or hint at them so
their partners will say them. (For example, if the target word was
RAM, they might say "Aries" or "male goat" or "battering blank" or,
of course, "Stefan".)

And this time one of the target phrases was DOGGY BAG.

I guess I should have noted exactly how they played it, but, sorry,
I didn't. I can say that the right answer was produced pretty easily.
--
Mark Brader | I remember singing "God Save the Queen" every morning...
Toronto | "Long live our noble Queen!" ... I guess it worked.

Re: "doggy bag"

<utnn9b$3too2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203928&group=alt.usage.english#203928

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 10:06:17 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 23:06 UTC

On 24/03/24 01:27, occam wrote:
> On 23/03/2024 13:20, Peter Moylan wrote:

>> But I digress. The high tea had a generous selection of sandwiches
>> and scones and little dessert things that I am unable to name. As a
>> result, many people requested plastic Chinese takeaway containers
>> to carry away the little frivolities that they could not eat.
>> Several people, I included, referred to those plastic boxes as
>> doggy bags.
>
> "Petits fours"?

In my mind petits fours must be baked in an oven. The nameless things
that I mentioned were fashioned from custard and ice cream and similar
materials.